• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt RED is preparing a major update for the next-gen version of The Witcher 3

Neilg

Did the fix all cobwebs being neon pink with raytracing turned on?

Why the fuck that is even a bug that made it into 4.0 i dont know...

TonyK

What a disappointment. RT mode performs better with the patch, but it's pointless now because it looks very close to performance mode. RT doesn't look as good and next gen as before the patch.

Performance mode looks as I remember prior the patch. Sadly, torch and fire shadows are so transparent as before. That disappoints me even more than the RT downgrade. It would be so easy to fix that, because shadows are calculated as in RT mode, you can see them, but somebody lowered the opacity to minimum. If you grab the lantern, for example, shadows look as expected.

I hate CD Project patchs

Skifi28

What a disappointment. RT mode performs better with the patch, but it's pointless now because it looks very close to performance mode. RT doesn't look as good and next gen as before the patch.
I thought the same, but then I moved to a different location at a different time of day and the difference was striking. It was the same before the patch, depending on the lighting conditions it looked either identical or a generation apart. I'm not sure the before-after difference is easily noticable, much like that PC mod that increased performance without much visual difference.

DanEON

I am still getting the same frame generation problem. With FG on I get some big slow downs (from 80fps to 20fps) after opening menus or going into new areas of the map.

Is there a fix to it? I didn't search for a fix, I was hoping this new patch would fix it.

Reactions: Rea
Yeah the res boast in rt mode is apparent. They fuck around and found out the limits of rt for this gen of systems (pretty limited). Wonder if other devs namely Rockstar and Naughty Dog will even bother with rt for their next gen games.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

Performance mode looks as I remember prior the patch. Sadly, torch and fire shadows are so transparent as before. That disappoints me even more than the RT downgrade. It would be so easy to fix that, because shadows are calculated as in RT mode, you can see them, but somebody lowered the opacity to minimum. If you grab the lantern, for example, shadows look as expected.

I hate CD Project patchs

I did tell you guys this is the typical result of incessant complaining when it comes to performance. They just nerf the shit out of everything until people stop caring or give up. Oh well.

I am still getting the same frame generation problem. With FG on I get some big slow downs (from 80fps to 20fps) after opening menus or going into new areas of the map.

Is there a fix to it? I didn't search for a fix, I was hoping this new patch would fix it.

If you're on an AMD CPU then there's not much you can do about it. Seems to be an engine issue with AMD CPU's. The same issue is there with the Cyberpunk DLSS 3 patch.

I've used the following to moderate success:

Upon initial boot of the game it will seem like the problem is gone but then it will intermittently return the longer your play session lasts.

I hate CD Project patchs
Are we sure it’s been nerfed/toned down?
I didn’t take any screenshots before the patch but it did look really good but once you started moving you could instantly tell it was 30/sub 30.
Now it’s definitely playable with ray traced on.
Lol I was hoping it was just optimized better.

aries_71

I didn’t take any screenshots before the patch but it did look really good but once you started moving you could instantly tell it was 30/sub 30.
This new optimizing technique of removing/disabling trend is worrisome. This just a few days after VSR removal from Dead Space.

CJ_75

On my PC (7900X/RTX 4090/32GB RAM/2TB Samsung 980 Pro), the patch did not help much.
Too many performance drops, from 100fps (DLSS, Frame Generation, RT Ultra) to 20-30fps. After my 3rd crashreport, I gave up playing.

DanEON

If you're on an AMD CPU then there's not much you can do about it. Seems to be an engine issue with AMD CPU's. The same issue is there with the Cyberpunk DLSS 3 patch.

I've used the following to moderate success:

Upon initial boot of the game it will seem like the problem is gone but then it will intermittently return the longer your play session lasts.

With my old PC with i7 8700k I could not play because of memory leak (fps would drop to 15-20 after 15min playing), and now on my new PC with Ryzen 7600 I still cant play because of FG bug (actually I can, but I want to play with FG). I guess no system is safe from CDProjekt bugs. lol
I will just keep waiting for more patchs and play Hogwarts Legacy.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Fair play to them updating it, even it was a bit lackluster on console, I held off on playing Blood and Wine until this "next gen" update and the truly next gen part was unplayable with awful frame rates in quality mode so completed it in performance mode which played like a dream, would've loved a 40fps RT VRR mode but the game is done for me and uninstalled, brillant game to be sure just a pity they couldn't get the RT to work a bit better

GHG

Gold Member
With my old PC with i7 8700k I could not play because of memory leak (fps would drop to 15-20 after 15min playing), and now on my new PC with Ryzen 7600 I still cant play because of FG bug (actually I can, but I want to play with FG). I guess no system is safe from CDProjekt bugs. lol
I will just keep waiting for more patchs and play Hogwarts Legacy.

You need a new Intel system for this game (and cyberpunk) unfortunately.

Their games heavily favour Intel CPUs for whatever reason.

Josemayuste

I'm reading somewhere else that this latest patch seems to tone down RT quality while on 30 fps mode, any truth to thay guys? (PS5)

I'm reading somewhere else that this latest patch seems to tone down RT quality while on 30 fps mode, any truth to thay guys? (PS5)
I thought so at first but when you are indoors and switch between modes the difference becomes very apparent. Outside is IMO where they toned a down quite a bit but I could be wrong. Water looks also a lot better now.

This new optimizing technique of removing/disabling trend is worrisome. This just a few days after VSR removal from Dead Space.
Yeah, I don’t like that. It’s like their releasing the games, balls to the walls with bells and whistles even with the frame rate chugging.
Then when everyone starts to call out the frame rate they start to cut the graphic mode up piece by piece.

Pipoqueiro

Ps5 rt mode now is pointless.. Ok, fps is better but quality dropped like no or little diference with performance mode in open areas. Good shit "otimization"..

Last edited:

Josemayuste

I thought so at first but when you are indoors and switch between modes the difference becomes very apparent. Outside is IMO where they toned a down quite a bit but I could be wrong. Water looks also a lot better now.

Thanks, I'll try it later, it sounds a little silly to me that they toned down RT the game was running just fine in quality mode IMHO.

If I find how to upload pics I might upload some later in order to compare them.

Flabagast

Ps5 rt mode now is pointless.. Ok, fps is better but quality dropped like no or little diference with performance mode in open areas. Good shit "otimization"..
Yeaaah I will not buy it until someone demonstrates it with pictures. You always have these weird takes with game updates where some gamers are imagining things only for the (despicable) pleasure to be angry without any proof.

Skifi28

Personally I haven't seen any difference in the quality of the RT after the update. If you're standing in an open field in the middle of the day it looks identical with the performance mode, but that was the same before the update. The difference is big only in select conditions like before. (interiors, indirectly lit exteriors).

amc

On my PC (7900X/RTX 4090/32GB RAM/2TB Samsung 980 Pro), the patch did not help much.
Too many performance drops, from 100fps (DLSS, Frame Generation, RT Ultra) to 20-30fps. After my 3rd crashreport, I gave up playing.
Anyone using DLSS 3 needs to disable the GOG overlay, if using the GOG release ofc, it's broken with DLSS 3.

I was getting crashes all the time with my 4090, unticked the GOG overlay and crashes are gone.

Last edited:

Josemayuste

Ok, I've already tried the game with the latest patch, so far :

-Dinamic resolution has been improved.
-The water reflections looks better.

The game seems to run now a bit more stable, RT seems the same to me, RT wasn't inmediately obvious before while switching graphics modes, neither it is now.

So, I think this is a good patch honestly, and I tend to be a little nitpicky too when it comes to stuff like this.

FUBARx89

Still have the issue of the DRS randomly making the screen soft for a second, then back to normal repeatedly when talking to someone 😑

scydrex

Will try it this weekend to see and compare. The RT is more for indoors or corridors in the city and stuff like that. In the open world not so much.

Mr Moose

Taken from the DF thread:
lfevTgF.jpeg

Tried to match it the best I could.
TheWitcher3WildHunt2.jpg

Josemayuste

Taken from the DF thread:
lfevTgF.jpeg

Tried to match it the best I could.
TheWitcher3WildHunt2.jpg

Thanks a lot mate, the thing is, given Witcher 3's open world nature and weather and ToD change it is really difficult to post two pics that match each other, but thanks a lot again.

Is the lower one the new patch?

Last edited:
Feels a little better on ps5 in rt mode and the resolution seems to be improved but yeah, rt may have been toned down slightly which sucks.

I hate when patches nerf something to do with graphics. Like Gotham Knights did by adding DRS instead of the native 4k it launched with, making the game look softer than the game I bought.

With this Witcher patch I dont know if the nerfed it all THAT much. The rt may be less noticeable though I'm not sure, but the resolution boost gives it a noticeable iq boost so I'm conflicted.

Will have to wait for DF or NX Gamer.

PS- the framerate is by no means a locked 30 it just feels a bit better than b4.

Alex11

I hate CD Project patchs
Yeah, their patches are weird, this one for me is worse, as I have an 1000 series Nvidia, still can't use dx12 - which I can use without a problem in other games - and thus still can't use FSR and the fixed SSR, which I heard can only use in dx12 mode.

Really disappointed to hear that the fix for the console in RT is to tone down the quality, that is not a fix. I get that it is a free update, whatever, but still, it's still very buggy and should run a lot better. I honestly can't remember to have had this many problems when it originally launched.

lukilladog

Hey btw choosing which corners to cut is literally what optimization is.

Ideally it is a more efficient usage of computational resources, for example the mame devs have done great optimizations just by better managing a processor's cache, you can do it yourself in a game like Skyrim LE, check crash fixes and memory blocks, you can turn a messy unstable game into a perfectly functional one. Also take a look at some of AMD's and Nvidia's recommendations (best practices) to devs in their papers, there are so many routes for devs to make a mess.

Last edited:

Melfice7

game crashes constantly on ps5 now.. never happened before. also the patch turned chromatic aberration and vignette back on

GHG

Gold Member

People begged for optimisation. This is literally it.

People don't have any idea what was going on with the RT in this game and yet they were crying foul. The amount of light bounces is far beyond what exists in Cyberpunk, of course it's going to be more demanding. Just because it's an older game it doesn't mean it will perform better when RT is added to the equation, we've seen that in action with Quake 2 RTX and Portal RTX.

Surfheart

I hate CD Project patchs

To be honest, I struggled to see the difference between RT and performance modes prior to this patch at least now it's smoother and looks crisper in the RT mode. (series X)

TonyK

To be honest, I struggled to see the difference between RT and performance modes prior to this patch at least now it's smoother and looks crisper in the RT mode. (series X)
Then will you play in RT mode? Prior to the patch I noticed a clear difference between both modes, so I stopped playing in Series X until a patch fixed the framerate/framepacing. But now that is fixed, that clear visual difference has gone, so after the wait I will end playing it in performance mode.

TheStam

Havent noticed much of a difference with this patch on PC. On a 13700k / 4080 I've been enjoying revisiting the game a lot.

With frame generation I've hardly ever seen a drop below 100 fps usually hovering around 110 although I tend to remove the counter to stop myself from obsessing over performance.

Everything maxed except I use that mod that uses Hair works on everything but Geralt. There are some stutters sometimes in places like Novigrad especially, but I don't have significant drops and I'm pretty sensitive to that kind of thing.

It's not perfect but it's not bad enough for me to complain about really. Cyberpunk felt smoother at similar frames with the frame generation update when I tried it out briefly. Game looks absolutely stunning sometimes.

Last edited:

scydrex

Well tried both mode inside the cabaret of dandelion and didn't see much a difference... the rt seems to be lower alright. If that's the case then will stick to 60fps.

hussar16

Lol Optimized usually means downgrading something .

hussar16

People begged for optimisation. This is literally it.

People don't have any idea what was going on with the RT in this game and yet they were crying foul. The amount of light bounces is far beyond what exists in Cyberpunk, of course it's going to be more demanding. Just because it's an older game it doesn't mean it will perform better when RT is added to the equation, we've seen that in action with Quake 2 RTX and Portal RTX.
Should have kept it as is.now the game looks the same as before pagvh apart from few areas

Surfheart

Then will you play in RT mode? Prior to the patch I noticed a clear difference between both modes, so I stopped playing in Series X until a patch fixed the framerate/framepacing. But now that is fixed, that clear visual difference has gone, so after the wait I will end playing it in performance mode.

I’m not sure yet, I ended up playing in performance mode prior to this patch, while I could see some differences with RT mode in places it didn’t justify the horrible framerate. Keen to see more of the game in RT mode now.

Edit: Well, sounds like they nerfed the RT to oblivion on consoles, that’s a bummer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom