• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt Red Is Sunsetting Support for Gwent: The Witcher Card Game

LectureMaster

Gold Member
https://www.ign.com/articles/cd-projekt-red-is-sunsetting-support-for-gwent-the-witcher-card-game

Gwent will be supported with new cards and eSports tournaments throughout 2023 but this will end as of 2024 as the game switches to a community-focused approach, in what is internally known as Project Gwentfinity.

CD Projekt Red told IGN that a small number of developers will keep Gwent running from this point onwards, with all remaining team members being transferred to other projects at the studio.

Project Gwentfinity will see a seasonal progression system added to the game that rewards creative deckbuilding alongside a new balancing feature that allows the community to vote for changes to balance, though CD Projekt Red said restrictions will be in place to prevent manipulation and "game-breaking" changes.

I guess it would be similar how Diablo 3 has been supported these years.

They are shifting the workforce to developing new projects.

Braag

Been playing it since beta, last few years it's maybe a handful of matches throughout the week on mobile when I'm in train or metro or something.
It's a lot of fun and the deck variety is better than ever before, but yeah, I get why it's soon time to stop supporting it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
the game was fun in the early stages of release but it completely changed what made gwent good and it became a soulless card game with a witcher skin. its good they are going to maintain it for those who find it fun but personally i think they should shut it down and put those employees to work on a witcher or cyberpunk game.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Who even plays this thing?
People that like unique game mechanics and gorgeous not-cartoony art every other CCG is infested with? Wtf with this take?

Sad to see it go, I played rather heavily at the beginning of Covid. I absolutely love the artstyle, probably one of the best in any game ever, not only card games. Also the Journey progression, quests and unlocks were great.

They had something new planned in Gwent, any info on that?

Witcher Go is also going away, looks like CDPR is scaling back their 'metaverse' plans for the Witcher.

you know, this might actually convince me to go back to it. with it being "complete" in terms of content then i at least know shit ain't gonna change. maybe i'll download it again.

What the fuck does sunsetting mean?
sunset = a close, ending, decline, or final phase.

in this case it means that CDPR won't be actively developing it anymore with new content such as expansion packs or events. there might be some more balance changes but as no new cards are going to be added any balance changes will be minor.

it'll be in "maintenance mode" so the game is still up and playable. it might get updates focused on stability and security. for example, if a new Windows version releases and something breaks.

look at games like Diablo 3 or Heroes of the Storm. now it remains to be seen how long CDPR will keep it alive.

Last edited:

Paasei

Thought it was a fun distraction within The Witcher 3, but as a full standalone game it couldn’t interest me at all. Don’t think it had many active players.

At least the game won’t stop existing for those who so enjoy this.

Exentryk

It was a fun game. I played it when it released, but didn't really have the time commitment required to stick with it.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Just a euphemism for shutting down
It is not. The game will not be shut down, only the new content will not be developed. The servers for online play will still be up and it seems CDPR is looking into some sort of scenario where the community can move things forward, at least in terms of infrastructure.

Thought it was a fun distraction within The Witcher 3, but as a full standalone game it couldn’t interest me at all. Don’t think it had many active players.

At least the game won’t stop existing for those who so enjoy this.
Look into Thronebreaker, really good game with Visual Novel elements.
It was a fun game. I played it when it released, but didn't really have the time commitment required to stick with it.
That goes for any online-only game I think.

Last edited:

Three

It is not. The game will not be shut down, only the new content will not be developed. The servers for online play will still be up and it seems CDPR is looking into some sort of scenario where the community can move things forward, at least in terms of infrastructure.
Ok, good point on the clarification. I didn't mean the servers, shutting down development.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Sunsetting is such a gentle way of saying it. Like it's triumphantly riding off for a well earned rest after a lifetime of hard work.

Top Bottom