• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt says Witcher 3’s new-gen release is ‘on track’ for late 2022

kadab

Offical new date: December 32nd.
1578070578.jpg

Umbasaborne

Banned
This is a company thats taken over two years to give the witcher 3 a minor upgrade, and they expect to release 3 new games within 6 years? Lol yeah, good luck

Raphael

This is a company thats taken over two years to give the witcher 3 a minor upgrade, and they expect to release 3 new games within 6 years? Lol yeah, good luck
It was outsourced to a russian studio through Saber. They brought it in house after the war in ukraine. They are saying part 2 and 3 in 6 years from part 1 launch. If they will make a good foundation in UE with part 1 and will have plenty of the assets to reuse I can see it happening. The first game will probably take 5-6 years - but two of those will be spent on tech which will be reused with subsquent games.

To be honest Hearts of Stone and Blood and wine could have been standalone games and I would gladly have paid full price for that - still would have been much more worth it than great majority of new games and both of those two came out within a year of W3 release date. The expansions timelines just prove that good foundations is all they need and then it's smooth sailing. With the cyberpunk launch blunder I'm sure they will put a lot of effort to make sure the structure is there.

Last edited:
We don't know if it's minor. They're adding raytracing for starters which can be a lot of work to adjust all the light sources and materials to support it.
Depends what kind of ray-tracing, for Global Illumination yes they'll have to re-adjust the light sources and also rework some of their art direction. However I doubt they'll be implanted RTGI, it's my favourite form of RT as I feel it has the biggest impact on visuals.

However knowing CDPR they'll go for a more mediocre form of RT such as shadows, and the visual difference is negligible in my opinion. However I wouldn't be surprised if they use RTGI in the PC versions.

Anyways back to the release date, there was Youtuber who stated that they want to release it sometime around late October, so it's in line with Halloween which would make sense.

Buggy Loop

Depends what kind of ray-tracing, for Global Illumination yes they'll have to re-adjust the light sources and also rework some of their art direction. However I doubt they'll be implanted RTGI, it's my favourite form of RT as I feel it has the biggest impact on visuals.

However knowing CDPR they'll go for a more mediocre form of RT such as shadows, and the visual difference is negligible in my opinion. However I wouldn't be surprised if they use RTGI in the PC versions.

Anyways back to the release date, there was Youtuber who stated that they want to release it sometime around late October, so it's in line with Halloween which would make sense.

Pretty sure they’ll do like they are doing with Cyberpunk 2077 overdrive patch, some insane full path tracing RTGI in collaboration with Nvidia.. bet on it.

artsi

Consoles unfortunately lack the horsepower so I'm not holding my breath about that version.
But I'm hopeful the PC version will be a big upgrade, as CDPR is one of the few companies that have used every feature RTX offers, including RTGI.

Consoles unfortunately lack the horsepower so I'm not holding my breath about that version.
But I'm hopeful the PC version will be a big upgrade, as CDPR is one of the few companies that have used every feature RTX offers, including RTGI.

I currently own a PS5, I plan on building a high end PC sometime next year.

I know RTGI is really expensive on the GPU but the 4A developers managed to pull it off on Metro Exodus at 60 FPS on the consoles, and that game is absoloutley stunning. I know it's a fools hope but I do hope the console versions have some form of RTGI, or at worst RT Ambient Occlusion.

Regardless, if the next-gen patch even has RTGI on the PC versions I guess it's something I can enjoy once i've built my PC.

thatJohann

I have a feeling that this "next-gen" port will keep the all the same assets as the past gen ports and simply add a 1440p/60 or 4K/30fps toggle. (i.e. it will look exactly the same, just a hair sharper). I doubt they're putting effort into this. It's a quick port not a remake! Keep your expectations in check so you're not disappointed!

Last edited:

Shtef

I have a feeling that this "next-gen" port will keep the all the same assets as the past gen ports and simply add a 1440p/60 or 4K/30fps toggle. (i.e. it will look exactly the same, just a hair sharper). I doubt they're putting effort into this. It's a quick port not a remake! Keep your expectations in check so you're not disappointed!

Witcher 3 is already 60 fps on series x.

Top Bottom