• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt says Witcher 3’s new-gen release is ‘on track’ for late 2022

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
This has been known information for like 2 years. The next-gen update will be free for all owners of the old-gen version. There’s no need to link it. It’s the same information as knowing the existence of the next-gen update. Both are confirmed.
Nobody is saying the PS5/Series X upgrade isn't free. The point of contention is whether or not those who don't have the two expansions will get them for free as part of the upgrade

LectureMaster

Gold Member
The Tweet didn't specify if the base game owners are able to upgrade to the complete edition. It only confirmed next gen upgrade is free.

To compare, what Skyrim did is that the PS4 SE owners can upgrade to PS5 SE for free, but to upgrade to the PS5 anniversary edition for the extra contents you will need to pay extra dollars for them.

Also, CDPR clarified this before, in their words DLC means small updates like extra quests, alternative costumes, etc. While expansions are the term for the two big chunk additions, HoS and Blood and Wine.

That said, it is possible they will let base game owners to upgrade to the complete edition given they're generally rather consumer friendly in that regard. But it is not as clear as some folks claimed in the thread as of now imo.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
The Tweet didn't specify if the base game owners are able to upgrade to the complete edition. It only confirmed next gen upgrade is free.

To compare, what Skyrim did is that the PS4 SE owners can upgrade to PS5 SE for free, but to upgrade to the PS5 anniversary edition for the extra contents you will need to pay extra dollars for them.

Also, CDPR clarified this before, in their words DLC means small updates like extra quests, alternative costumes, etc. While expansions are the term for the two big chunk additions, HoS and Blood and Wine.

That said, it is possible they will let base game owners to upgrade to the complete edition given they're generally rather consumer friendly in that regard. But it is not as clear as some folks claimed in the thread as of now imo.
The head of their PR team has said if you own the base game you get the complete edition with all the expansions for free

Arachnid

They want to put out three new Witcher games in six years but cant put out a graphics upgrade in 3.

6UCGoNy.gif

Denton

They want to put out three new Witcher games in six years but cant put out a graphics upgrade in 3.
It will be 8 years. Polaris releases, then 4 years for Polaris 2, and 4 years for Polaris 3. I am sure they are optimistic right now because Unreal 5, but...it will be 8 years.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
It will be 8 years. Polaris releases, then 4 years for Polaris 2, and 4 years for Polaris 3. I am sure they are optimistic right now because Unreal 5, but...it will be 8 years.
I am more than happy with 8 years, that it exactly the time span of the Geralt trilogy (2007-2011-2015)

Who's saying the next-gen upgrade isn't free?
What on earth are you asking? Lol.

They’re not just gonna give you the DLC for free. Just like the game itself, you either own it or you don’t. The next-gen update is free for owners of the game. I don’t think it matters if you own the Complete Edition or just the main game. I doubt the next-gen update will include all the paid DLC. That would be one hell of a free update!

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
What on earth are you asking? Lol.

They’re not just gonna give you the DLC for free. Just like the game itself, you either own it or you don’t. The next-gen update is free for owners of the game. I don’t think it matters if you own the Complete Edition or just the main game. I doubt the next-gen update will include all the paid DLC. That would be one hell of a free update!
They are

EDMIX

6UCGoNy.gif

I'm happy I'm not the only one questioning this.

Look at the train wreck that is BF2042, imagine if EA was like "ok so we got 3 BF's coming out and we so-"

"But sir, what about fixing BF2042"

"But we got 8 new games coming out of DICE doe" lol

I think this team merely promises too much shit to sound all virtuous, but their actual track record shows they are willing to make statements that are false. Ubisoft is one of the few publishers that I can see having like 3 or 4 games revealed where they can get them out in 6 years if not less, anyone judging those games needs to consider, so a team that failed at some of the most basic shit and struggles till this day to even update and piece mean out 1 fucking open world title like CP, but we are to believe magically they'll get all that shit out in 6 years?

While we wait for a patch at add AI to police officers in CP2077? The fucking deep, deep lolz.

The fact that we even have Witcher 3's remaster delayed, a fucking remaster is delayed....what the fuck is going on at that team exactly?

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
It's worth noting CDPR wasn't working on the Series X/PS5 versions of The Witcher 3, Sabre was. They had to move it in house after the war started. And Sabre is very hit or miss when it comes to their work so who knows how much work was done. Remember the Crysis Remaster fiasco? Well Sabre co-developed that

Last edited:

EDMIX

It's worth noting CDPR wasn't working on the Series X/PS5 versions of The Witcher 3, Sabre was. They had to move it in house after the war started. And Sabre is very hit or miss when it comes to their work so who knows how much work was done. Remember the Crysis Remaster fiasco? Well Sabre co-developed that

This why you here for this clarity lol

It is indeed true most teams simply outsource remasters and makes sense. A logical reason exist on why this is taking so long based on the war.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
ffs came here for actual fucking news of this update and instead got some rambling ballicks... Blood & Wine expansion is burning a hole in my PS5 and ive been holding off playing it for that long ive forgotten how to play the damn game

You make it unavailable for next gen users to purchase it
Money lost that people would’ve paid! But ok, I’m not a share holder and I already paid full retail for the base game + the paid DLC when it launched. It never pays to be an early adopter!

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The dlc is fantastic, some of the best ever released imo

Maybe not the thread for this question, but:

I have completed the game and most of the side content, but haven't played the DLC (waiting for 60fps). When I do, should I do it with my completed save, or a new one? Does it matter?

Flabagast

I have completed the game and most of the side content, but haven't played the DLC (waiting for 60fps). When I do, should I do it with my completed save, or a new one? Does it matter?
Yes it matters (a lot). Play with your existing save.

The Shepard

I'd definitely use your completed save if you just want to play the expansions as the game carries on with all the stuff you got.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Use your completed, your chosen romances etc do come into play, especially in pivotal moments in the Blood and Wine DLC.

Flabagast

Cool, thanks. I kinda want to replay the entire game though... If I do, I should save the DLC for after the main story?
You can play Heart of Stones at any time once you have the required level. Actually it is maybe better to play it before the end of the main story. Know that it might be the best narrative piece in any game ever, it's that good.

Blood and Wine, on the other hand, should definitely be played after all the rest of the game is done. It's a farewell story.

TheGecko

Banned
Nah, it's not in their style. Also, they already announced it will be free, there would be too much backlash. They need all good PR they can get right now.
They didn't care about releasing Cyberpunk in the state it did and you think they will asking for $10 upgrade fee?

timothet

They didn't care about releasing Cyberpunk in the state it did and you think they will asking for $10 upgrade fee?
No, I don't think they will go back on their word. You can read my post above again to get my reasoning.

Last edited:
I had completely forgotten about this. If this is due for release this year then why has there been no gameplay footage released to raise interest in the update? I mean it had completely left my mind so I know there has been very little coverage of this in recent months which is odd for something that is one or two months from release..

Majormaxxx

My uncle's brother's son works for Nintendo of America in Redmond and he has a colleague that knows someone that moved from Redmond to Boston to work at the new office of CDPR there, and he told me the release date is Undecimber 69th, 4:20pm (nice!).

Last edited:

gamer82

never played the witcher game but picked it up digital on a sale a while ago and still not touched it like mnay othre games i have lol i hope its good but i heard the combat is clunky :-( maybe they will update that.

Dibils2k

i just want to know the scale of this... i would love new textures and improved foliage

Last edited:
Top Bottom