• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt Studio Could Be Working on a Multiplayer Witcher Game

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Molasses Flood is currently looking to hire a Multiplayer Designer to work on an Unreal Engine-built game based on a CD Projekt IP. The listing suggests that it will be a systems-heavy action game with a strong emphasis placed on multiplayer combat and procedural generation of some sort. Similar openings at the company point to the game having a leveling system and non-player enemies, as well as a mixture of both armed and unarmed combat.

This isn't the only piece of evidence that points to a multiplayer Witcher game being in the works either. In a Q+A session late last year, CD Projekt's president and joint CEO Adam Kiciński reconfirmed that the company is looking to bring multiplayer to both its Cyberpunk 2077 and The Witcher franchises in the coming years. With a free multiplayer update for the former having begun development long before last year's acquisition was confirmed, it seems pretty plausible that The Molasses Flood project could be the multiplayer Witcher experience to which Kiciński was referring.

witcher-multiplayer-game-job-listing.jpg

Kek they really did jump ship to the Witcher. They went from developing multiple expansions and a multiplayer Cyberpunk to only a single expansion, switching to UE5 working on Witcher 4 and now Witcher multiplayer lmao.

It's like they realized they can't milk CP77 so they moved on to the next cow.

The Witcher 3 sold ridiculously well and is an extremely popular game across all the platforms.

CDPR know it’s a huge opportunity for them to ship a multiplayer game which could make them a lot of money. It’s also the direction a lot of companies are going now, especially Playstation.

I’d usually be concerned for their single player story experience, but that’s been the bread and butter of CDPR so I’m certain that will be their main priority.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Feels like they are biting off more than they can chew.

Exactly.
They want to get on the multiplayer/GaaS money train while believing that they will still be able to do justice to Witcher 4 at the same time. To me it looks like Witcher 4 will suffer since obviously money train takes precedence. And Witcher 4 is fucked either ways. If the multiplayer succeeds then they will pivot focus towards that since money, and if it fails it will take so much time and resources before dying that Witcher 4 will either be delayed or cut heavily.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
With a free multiplayer update for the former having begun development long before last year's acquisition was confirmed, it seems pretty plausible that The Molasses Flood project could be the multiplayer Witcher experience to which Kiciński was referring.

witcher-multiplayer-game-job-listing.jpg
Cyberpunk multiplayer game was cancelled last year.

VN1X

Banned
Nobody asked for a multiplayer Witcher, make something else or expand Cyberpunk more.
We can only guess of course but maybe they're thinking that GTA has already filled that roleplay space of contemporary cityscape with cops & robbers shenanigans so they want to veer away from that and offer something different. That said I think Cyberpunk would be far more interesting of properly developed to its fullest potential when it comes to multiplayer but I guess they would need another decade for that lol.

There is an issue, however: While their world building, quests designs and overall scripts are really good, CD Projects games are not known for their smooth and addicting gameplay mechanics, which a multiplayer title should definitely strive to achieve.

Braag

CDPR bought The Molasses Flood not long ago, so it's most likely a separate project from the new Witcher game they announced recently, just takes place in the same universe. I mean they have a Witcher mobile game too which was developed by a different group as well.

Last edited:
They were working on a multiplayer component for Cyberpunk until they received the negative feedback about the buggy mess they put out. They should go back to their roots of RPG storytelling instead of branching out. No one trusts them anymore to make something other than a Witcher single-player experience.

Fbh

I could see them jump on the survival crafting trend. Seems to be what's popular right now and the world of the Witcher would work well with the concept.

I just hope it's in no way related to the new Single player game, and hopefully they don't bite more than they can chew with multiple projects.

Top Bottom