• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Celebrate Pride in Overwatch 2 event, + 2 more characters are gay

Status
Not open for further replies.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Rainbow Gay GIF by LGBTQ Youth

The dev team thanks you for your support

ZehDon

Gold Member
And just like that, Blizzard are good guys again, standing up for what's right. Just ignore the whole "we literally shut down a game people paid for to make them pay even more money for the same game with less in it" thing and equip your PRIDE FLAGS!

diffusionx

Gold Member
Overwatch: Tumblr headcanon made real

edit: is it just me or does Blizzard follow all bad Overwatch news with an announcement about a gay character?

Last edited:

CuNi

"Sir, our sales are down!"
"Down you say!? Pic some characters and tweet that they are gay or lesbians now!"
"Gee sir, why didn't I think of that!"

That's how I imagine most of those decisions are made when it comes to just slapping on rainbow stickers onto characters instead of making new characters that are designed to be inclusive.

Paltheos

Huh, color me ignorant. I googled some of these and they're actual symbols. There was a part of me that believed Blizzard would actually just make up flags for groups.

NikuNashi

Pride[edit]​

Main article: Pride
Pride (superbia), also known as hubris (from Ancient Greek ὕβρις) or futility. It is considered the original and worst of the seven deadly sins on almost every list, the most demonic.[43] It is also thought to be the source of the other capital sins. Pride is the opposite of humility.[44][45]

Pride is identified as dangerously corrupt selfishness, putting one's own desires, urges, wants, and whims before the welfare of others. Dante's definition of pride was "love of self perverted to hatred and contempt for one's neighbor".

In more pathological cases, it is an irrational belief that one is essentially better, superior, or more important than others, despising their merits, and excessively admiring oneself as godlike, refusing to acknowledge one's limits, faults, or wrongs.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
>Multiple heads at Company accused of sexual harassment
>Makes Pride Month event

Okay
Back when EA got voted “worst company in America” they started putting out all these press releases about how progressive they were and how they supported same sex marriage etc.

So cringe. I bet the LGBTQ community loves being used as a shield for deflecting criticism.

Metalman96

Honestly man, I have nothing against lgbt people or anything, but does it need to be celebrated and paraded around 24/7 and made front and center all the time? You can't even buy alcohol or food without it being slapped on the packaging these days.

kubricks

What if I want to identify OW2 as trash? Is there a flag for it?

Oh wait I have already uninstalled after they canceled the PvE because apparently it is too difficult to make. Never fucking mind.

theclaw135

Banned
Overwatch released in 2016, and only now do we find out Pharah is attracted to women. If that was truly such an important aspect to her character, we would have known before, right?

The fact that they're revealing this stuff years later, for a pride event, just to garner attention and approval just feels manipulative and exploitative. It's a disservice to their own creation, the players and even the queer community they pretend to care so much about. Disgusting.

Something along these lines. With better planners and writers, being in the closet can make for great character development. But THIS way isn't it.

As someone who is gay. They could've kept this. I just started playing year and didn't even pick the rainbow icon because in these game spaces I identify as a gamer. If they included this from jump. Kudos because these banners, icons, etc are for expression. But to wait until Pride month like it's going to bring in new people screams pandering. Again, for those who want it I understand but why now? This is how these dumb debates start to happen and then we have to defend ourselves because these corporations are so out of tuned.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm confused as to why in the hell your sexuality matters in an online shooter. Like ever. At all.
What never made sense about political people is that on one hand they are like:

"Hey, treat us like equals. You cant even know who is this or that because we blend right in. Your next door neighbour might be pronoun X or Y and you wouldnt even know it"

But if that's true, then why do we suddenly get this:

Pride parents, recognition, special laws, government boost affirmative action kinds of policies, custom created sexuality flags, etc... All this in your face stuff to promote the cause. So do you want to be low key or loud?

I'm straight and like hot blonde women. I dont go around telling every person or company to support my cause. Nobody goes around making blonde flags. Other straight guys might prefer brunettes or redheads. Who gives a shit. You do what you do, be chill and leave it at that. Even in media where there's a man and woman together, who says they are straight? Maybe they are bi.

Most games have one central character to play as (especially if it's a SP narrative game). Shooters and sports give lots of character creation. Who knows why sexuality and gender classification is so important. Almost all games dont involve getting hooked up in quests to get married. I dont see religion classifications. If I choose a brown haired meathead carrying a minigun, I'll just think he's a straight guy. If another person wants to take the same character and think he's gay go ahead. Games traditionally don't say what sex/gender they are anyone can pretend what the character is.

Why is that so hard?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom