• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Celebrate the 50th anniversary of Atari (founded June 27, 1972)

Agent X

50 years ago today, on June 27, 1972, the legendary video game company Atari was founded. This pioneering company created the arcade video game industry, then later brought their talents to the home with home video game consoles and personal computers.

Atari has had their ups and downs throughout the years, with noteworthy successes and failures along the way. The company has changed hands several times, but the brand continues to endure. Many longtime gamers have fond memories of Atari dating back to their childhood, enjoying the games with family and friends.

The current incarnation of Atari has set up the following page to celebrate this occasion:

https://www.atari.com/50th-anniversary/

There's also a great interview featuring current Atari CEO Wade Rosen and Atari founder Nolan Bushnell. You can check this out below.

Cheers to Atari, and I look forward to the next 50 years of fun!

I started gaming on my friend's Atari 2600, haven't stopped since. Shoutout to the legend Nolan Bushnell, thank you 🥂🎉🎉🎉. Also, this controller is legendary:
1ZevSKq.jpg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
One of my first gaming experiences was on a friend’s Atari playing pitfall, then an uncle’s Colecovision with Smurfs.

Then when my other uncle gave me his Commodore 64 when he upgraded to the 128, along with the floppy drive, hundreds of games on floppy discs, Atari cartridges since it played those, and various joystick including Atari ones… my whole gaming world opened up.

Alpha Male

My older brothers and I got the Atari 2600 for Christmas in 1979 when I was 3 years old. I don't remember that but I DO remember playing many of the games like Empire Strikes Back, Pitfall, Indiana Jones, Quest, Journey, Frogger, etc... these are my earliest gaming memories!

Kuranghi

I started with Amiga 500 but my cousin had an Atari, used to play it on our yearly family visits to Yorkshire.

Top Bottom