• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Celebration 5 years of Yooka-Laylee

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
Downloaded the first game through Gamepass, saw it was 30 FPS and uninstalled it after 15 seconds. Sorry, not sorry. 🤷‍♂️ Update your shit and then people might care.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Downloaded the first game through Gamepass, saw it was 30 FPS and uninstalled it after 15 seconds. Sorry, not sorry. 🤷‍♂️ Update your shit and then people might care.
It is a platformer, it can totally be played at 30 FPS… 🤷‍♂️. Better if it were 60 FPS? Sure, but smooth 30 FPS is playable: SM64 was 30 FPS with 20 FPS dips in some rare occasions.

Last edited:
First game was pretty meh, platforming was just no where near the level of banjo and even donkey kong 64 (which also isnt a very good game) 2nd game was lit though but then they went the 2d route with that one

Banjo64

cumsessed
This ever going to get a 3D sequel?

I hope it didn't take down hopes of a Banjo remake/Threeie with its reception. It was a fine first effort.
Yes.

"The sizeable investment will allow the studio to more than double its headcount, expand to three development teams and create more games, one of which will be a sequel to the 2017 3D platform game: Yooka-Laylee."

At the end of March this year they have expanded and opened a second studio in Leamington Spa.

Not sure if Yooka-Laylee ever reached a level worth celebrating.
Whilst the first game was good but not spectacular, It’s worth celebrating the fact that a niche genre has a dedicated studio. With some of the legends of the genre at every level. It says it all that Nintendo still turn to David Wise and Grant Kirkhope for Smash Ultimate music and Tropical Freeze music and these 2 guys are basically on call for Playtonic.

And The Impossible Lair is a fucking great game, absolutely top class.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
The first world or two were okay on this game, the later world's were pretty dire.
And the hub world was absolutely awful.

The impossible lair was a lot better imo.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
It is a platformer, it can totally be played at 30 FPS… 🤷‍♂️. Better if it were 60 FPS? Sure, but smooth 30 FPS is playable: SM64 was 30 FPS with 20 FPS dips in some rare occasions.
Youre seriously using a game released in 1996 as a counterpoint? I don't care if its a walking sim, it could be a point and click, it could be a fucking RTS and it would still be shit today if it was 30 FPS. 30 FPS is eye cancer in 2022 and my experience with Yooka Laylie is that 30 FPS kills it instantly for me. Plus the characters look fucking stupid, the name is stupid.
The Impossible Lair was fire though. Played that one and loved it.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Cracking Up Lol GIF

The Skull

It's in the back log and I am looking forward to palying it, if for nothing else other than nostaligc banjo vibes.

Youre seriously using a game released in 1996 as a counterpoint? I don't care if its a walking sim, it could be a point and click, it could be a fucking RTS and it would still be shit today if it was 30 FPS. 30 FPS is eye cancer in 2022 and my experience with Yooka Laylie is that 30 FPS kills it instantly for me. Plus the characters look fucking stupid, the name is stupid.
The Impossible Lair was fire though. Played that one and loved it.

You sound like the type of person who's incredibly insecure about being "cool" or "masculine" and refuse to be associated with anything even remotely "kiddie".

Also you might want to get your eyes checked if you're basically unable to play games that are 30fps

MAtgS

Between Tooie, N&B, and Y-L, these guys really seem to struggle with pacing and world size. Bigger is not better, B-K was a master class in a game being as large as it needs to be and no more.

Top Bottom