• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Central Ohio McDonald's locations testing Chicken McGriddles

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus...-testing-chicken-and-pancake-sandwich-in.html

The next addition to the McDonald’s menu may be getting its start right here in Central Ohio.

Eleven area McDonald’s are testing the Chicken McGriddle, which pairs a fried chicken patty with the maple syrup-infused pancake buns used in McGriddle breakfast sandwiches.

This isn’t some corporate-mandated rollout. Versions of the product have been tested in other markets before, but this take was devised by Brian Mortellaro, who owns eight local McDonald's, and a small group of taste-testers including other operators.

“Filet-o-fish, Big Mac – both of those started with owner-operators,” Mortellaro told me. “We took this idea up the chain and they’re letting us try it out.”

The local test group also played around with a BLT sandwich and an egg-white creation, but the group decided neither was as good as the sweet-and-savory Chicken McGriddle.

“It’s a chicken-and-waffles taste,” Mortellaro said. “I just think that’s something that isn’t out there right now.”

Sales won’t be the most important factor in determining whether the product stays or goes since the test won’t be supported with advertising, Mortellaro said. The biggest influence will be customer surveys. If customers respond favorably to the taste and say they would purchase again, the product could get a larger test run around Central Ohio this year.

Operations-wise, the only major change is adding chicken to the breakfast menu, but it is the same McChicken patty served at other times in the day.

Chicken McGriddle is being tested at two price points – $1.49 and $2 – and is available at selected restaurants until March 27.

“Personally, I love the product so I’m hoping it’ll do well,” Mortellaro said. “We’ll analyze the results then.”

5yXkNHr.jpg

They'll fuck it up somehow. They'll put apple slices in it or make you have a sit down chat with Ronald about nutritional value and calories.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I've already been doing this for a while. Just order the southern chicken biscuit and ask if they can sub the biscuit for McGriddles.

:D

Cth

When a McGriddle is good, it's GREAT.

When it's bad, it's AWFUL.

Either they overcook it and it becomes a dry, syrup-less thing.. or it's this amazing syrupy fluffy pancake that melts in your mouth.

After the McGangBang, I'm half surprised this is the first time the idea has popped up. I might try to make my own version off the menu if it doesn't take off!

FINALLY

The single best off-menu McDonald's item. It's crazy it took them so long to make this official.

It's even better with bacon and cheese.

inner-G

Banned
I approve. Even if only as a Trojan horse to unleashing all day McGriddles.

I love bacon, egg and cheese McGriddles. Sometimes I also get the plain sausage one and add a hashbrown on top like a second patty.

The current McMuffin-only all day sandwiches are a travesty. Who wants those? Biscuits and McGriddles are where it's at.

inki

I've been having my local McDonalds create these since they came out with the breakfast chicken biscuit. It's as good as you think. Mmmm now I want one. Maybe for breakfast tomorrow.

I honestly don't remember if there was an upcharge or not, if they did obviously it's on the manager/super on duty. Nothing more than $0.50 though.

jack in the box waffle sandwich is better than a mcgriddle, but chicken changes everything

the southwest chicken biscuit is my #1 breakfast food item

The Wall

Banned
If I see this available, I will try it. Not a huge fan of much at McDonald's, but I just like a McGriddle sometimes, you know? Especially when I've developed a large appetite from working out a lot.

Xenus

I live in Central Ohio! Should I try one? For GAF?

I amused they are testing it in the land of Wendy's corporate headquarters. Though it sounds like ti might be something someone local threw together once on a break and it was liked so they brought it up the chain to try it out in their franchises.

Pyrokai

I amused they are testing it in the land of Wendy's corporate headquarters. Though it sounds like ti might be something someone local threw together once on a break and it was liked so they brought it up the chain to try it out in their franchises.

Columbus is a test market for everything. It's kinda awesome.

Xenus

I love Columbus from when I was at OSU. Unfortunately my job is in in Dayton though.

Now only if I could find a way to convince the boss we need to all head to Thurman's and take off half a day for lunch/morale.

Is there a way for me to find out where these are available without driving around and asking? I want to try one but there's no way I'm scouring Columbus to get it.

Columbus, Ohio: America's Test Kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom