• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CEO of Match group (tinder, match.com) says he once "spent $50,000 on Clash of Clans in 3 months"

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Posted on behalf of kicker kicker who posted this here

The quote:
No one plays these games forever. After a certain point, people churn out of a game experience. And what are you left with? I’ve personally spent $50,000 in three months in Clash of Clans, and I still look back at that with lots of shame. I’m like “oh my God, what did I really get out of that experience?” Nothing, other than, like, a really amazing wall, which is not cool today.
Apparently he
used to be in charge of Zynga, and work as a senior vice president at EA’s mobile publishing arm
The lead-up to him saying that he dropped $16,666 a month on Clash of Clans is that he was asked to “compare the elasticity of dating at Tinder versus mobile games
His response was to briefly mention that there’s been a bit of a slowdown, and then to launch into a spiel about how the rewards for using apps like Tinder can be “literally endless."
After talking about his wall, he turned to the presenter and said “Now you look at what can come out of Tinder — you meeting your wife. That’s an immeasurable reward, something that will last a lifetime, that will lead to unbelievable happiness. Maybe sometimes despair, but at least you’re feeling something!”

The what did I get out of this experience part is worth discussion, I think. I've also seen this used as a talking point for nfts in games empowering people to "get something back from games". I believe most people are fine with playing games to enjoy the experience, and people can spend their money however they want, but I also think the "what did I get out of this experience" question should probably come up a little more in gacha games at some point

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Studies have shown that most people achieve diminishing returns on happiness after they make roughly $95,000 per year.

I'm willing to even be generous and quadruple that. At that point you can live pretty much wherever you want, eat whatever you want, travel where ever you want, drive whatever you want, buy virtually anything you want. Most normal people honestly don't even want much after that. The rest is generally going to be retardation for the most part. $10,000 hair cuts for your poodle and dumb shit like this.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
When you buy a game, you usually pay a fixed amount, enjoy the game (sometimes not) and finish it so you can move away. There's a small sense of accomplishment and the experience proposed is complete.
Gacha games are just an infinite wheel. There's no ending, you can pour thousands of dollars in it and you will just compete with others guys who spend even more for an endless spin of "battles". It's empty, and more importantly entirely designed on frustration, compulsiveness and addiction.

iOY72Ik.jpg

kicker

Banned
Thanks for the post jshackles jshackles

edit: I actually forgot to include the article link https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/15/23642400/match-ceo-50000-clash-of-clans-tinder
I guess this sheds some light on Tinder's new $500/month subscription.

The dude is a whale. He knows the system.
I find it funny how he seems to say "and I still look back at that with lots of shame" so matter-of-factly, like this is just the way things are, when he himself is a part of driving these things into markets.
It's empty, and more importantly entirely designed on frustration, compulsiveness and addiction
Still, it's a little satisfying to see that even the people who push these schemes onto us aren't immune to the bullshit themselves
Studies have shown that most people achieve diminishing returns on happiness after they make roughly $95,000 per year.

I'm willing to even be generous and quadruple that. At that point you can live pretty much wherever you want, eat whatever you want, travel where ever you want, drive whatever you want, buy virtually anything you want. Most normal people honestly don't even want much after that. The rest is generally going to be retardation for the most part. $10,000 hair cuts for your poodle and dumb shit like this.
money probably becomes less of a resource and more of an accessory at that point, yeah

Last edited:

calistan

I can totally understand overpaying for a pair of shoes, a car, a restaurant. But Clash of Clans? That's genuinely crazy. Like the guy who bought the shitty pink $160k gun skin for CSGO, that looks like every shitty pink gun skin that's part of the regular grind in CoD. Those people have arrived at a point where money has very little meaning. They'll boast about spending on crap like that, but I bet they're voting for whichever party gives them the biggest tax breaks.

yurinka

Well, insanely rich people do things like that. He may also have a Ferrari.

I can totally understand overpaying for a pair of shoes, a car, a restaurant. But Clash of Clans?
Like with Tinder, he got fucked

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
One of my old bosses at work played that game. I saw his screen.

So were talking one day in his office shooting the shit and he checks his phone. He seems kinda pissed. I didnt ask. But I assumed maybe his stocks were down or he got grilled in one of his sports pools.

He got up and put his phone done. I glanced at his screen and he was playing Clash of Clans. One of his cities musta got wrecked or something. The guy at the time was probably about 45 years old with a wife and two kids.

Last edited:
Top Bottom