• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Certain ‘Aqua Teen Hunger Force,’ ‘The Boondocks’ Episodes Retired Due to ‘Cultural Sensitivities’

Status
Not open for further replies.

brap

Banned
Funny how The Shivering Truth came out a couple years ago and is already not woke enough. No wonder they had so many black people in the second season. The woke train never stops!
Several episodes of Adult Swim series have been “permanently retired due to cultural sensitivities,” according to the network, including those from “Aqua Teen Hunger Force” and “The Boondocks.”

The Daily Beast, which first reported the news, noted that Reddit users had pointed out “Aqua Teen Hunger Force” episode “Shake Like Me” and “The Boondocks” episode “The Story of Jimmy Rebel” could not be found — or were only briefly found — on HBO Max, the streaming service launched by WarnerMedia in the spring. In “Shake Like Me,” a reference to the John Howard Griffin book “Black Like Me,” Shake “learns what it’s like to be a stereotype” after being bitten by a radioactive Black man, according to the IMDB description of the episode. In the site’s description of “The Story of Jimmy Rebel,” Ruckus “finds his musical soul mate in famed racist country-western singer Jimmy Rebel.”

According to a source, one of those episodes was accidentally uploaded to HBO Max due to a software error and was promptly removed — the episodes in question were not part of the original licensing deal between HBO Max and Adult Swim.

But per an Adult Swim spokesperson, the 2018 “The Shivering Truth” episode “The Ogled Inklings” will return to the Adult Swim site and HBO Max in the future after being “temporarily rested.”

The move follows other networks and streaming platforms’ decisions over the summer to remove episodes containing blackface. Hulu removed three episodes of “Scrubs” that featured blackface following requests from “Scrubs” creator Bill Lawrence and ABC Studios. And “30 Rock” creators Tina Fey and Robert Carlock, alongside series owner NBCUniversal, asked platforms and networks to remove four episodes featuring characters in blackface to be removed from streaming and syndication. Netflix has also removed an episode of Bob Odenkirk and David Cross’ 2015 comedy series “W/Bob and David” that featured Cross in blackface.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Funny how The Shivering Truth came out a couple years ago and is already not woke enough. No wonder they had so many black people in the second season. The woke train never stops!

They'll probably go after K.O.T.H. next. I remember DVD season sets of Aqua Teen Hunger Force selling for like $6 before I moved...you'd get everything there. Maybe it's time people to back to physical media for TV Shows and older movies.

The world has learned absolutely nothing from its past it seems.

One moment we're upset that dictatorships, authoritarian regimes, fascists and theocracies are burning books, censoring opinions and doing away with people with the wrong opinions, and now large swaths of people are cheering on the mass censorship of opinions, art, humor and the de-platforming of wrong-thinkers.

This won't stop at race, gender, sex or religion either. We've only just begun.

At this point I can only be petty and hope that it comes back to bite those who cheer this on in the ass real soon. Once you allow one thing to be censored, you allow all things to be censored.

Remember when they said the internet would bring free speech and expression to the world? What a joke that was.

Kev Kev

god fucking damnit i hate this shit

thank fuck we still have people like tom segura

its comedy, someone or something has to be the butt of the joke, thats why its fuckin funny! and in the context of a comedy show, we are all in agreement that that is a space in which we can all let loose and make really offensive, really funny jokes about each other, which in the end turns out to be very FUN for all parties involved.

these woke assholes that want to manipulate and control everything are the only ones doing any harm here. bowing down to every little complaint is going to suck all the life and creativity out of it, i just.... gaahhhh it makes me so fuckin mad that people cant see that. everyones little feelings are so much more important than every one elses that they cant even be the butt of a joke, not even once... we are all the butt of the joke sometimes! its ok lol jfc

nush

Gold Member

GMFtdV7.png

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Who's job is it at these companies to go through all these shows and look for shit that could possibly offend someone? I can't imagine anyone actually complained about a 15 year old episode of Aqua Teen.

Madevil

Ah fuck this is terrible.
Anyone here who could direct me to at least an Aqua Teen Hunger Force box set before the purge?
(Had a bastard of a time the last few years)

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Adult Swim/Warner Media cares about black people? But they let one of their VA's become a homeless man. (Frylock)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom