• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Certain Affinity is working on a new PvPvE game mode for Halo Infinite codenamed "Tatanaka" that will also hook into the upcoming Forge mode

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

Certain Affinity is headed by its founder Max Hoberman, who is the father of Halo's multiplayer leading the multiplayer development in both Halo CE and Halo 2. He then left to create Certain Affinity with other ex-Bungie staff creating DLC multiplayer map packs for Halo 2 and Halo Reach and later assisting 343i with Halo CEA, 4 and MCC. They also developed the multiplayer mode for Doom (2016) and are now working on a Monster Hunter inspired co-op game for Xbox.

Kydd BlaZe

Sounds awesome. Certain Affinity putting in work. Been around Bungie and 343 for ages, and still contributing with some hefty content. Also can’t wait to see their original game. They certainly have some talent and a ton of experience to make something really cool.

Bernkastel

Jesus Christ Microsoft certain affinity has been carrying 343 for years now.
They made the DLC multiplayer map packs for Halo 2, Halo Reach, remade Halo CE multiplayer in Halo Reach engine for Halo CEA, designed the Forge and War Games mode and developed some multiplayer maps for Halo 4 and designed the six remade multiplayer maps from Halo 2 for Halo 2A in MCC. Thats not definitely not "carrying 343i" or the Halo series in any way.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
should rename it tatanka
3JL6us.gif

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Halo MP is a necessary component if you’re bringing back Forge you can’t forget Firefight.

They made the DLC multiplayer map packs for Halo 2, Halo Reach, remade Halo CE multiplayer in Halo Reach engine for Halo CEA, designed the Forge and War Games mode and developed some multiplayer maps for Halo 4 and designed the six remade multiplayer maps from Halo 2 for Halo 2A in MCC. Thats not definitely not "carrying 343i" or the Halo series in any way.
Considering Max use to work at bungie and basically designed the halo 2 multiplayer online and maps. I’d say they’re carrying 343 the multiplayer aspects to all 343 games except 4 where always the stronger parts. He definitely understands the franchise. I’m just glad Joe’s back. I’m happy for certain affinity though.

Bernkastel

Considering Max use to work at bungie and basically designed the halo 2 multiplayer online and maps. I’d say they’re carrying 343 the multiplayer aspects to all 343 games except 4 where always the stronger parts. He definitely understands the franchise. I’m just glad Joe’s back. I’m happy for certain affinity though.
That has nothing to do with why they would be carrying the multiplayer aspects of Halo. Remaking six multiplayer maps for MCC does not entitle them to "carrying multiplayer aspects of Halo". So we cannot say "MCC multiplayer was good due to Certain Affinity" just because it is Max Hoberman's studio. They had the most involvement in Halo 4(which had the worst multiplayer in the series) and no involvement in Halo 5 at all. Certain Affinity had no hand in how these games turned out since it was 343i that developed them and Certain Affinity just provided some extra hand. I am glad that they Certain Affinity is developing an original game mode for Halo Infinite and working on a new IP but they were definitely not carrying anything until now. The same is true for Skybox Labs, former EA Vancouver devs, they developed Halo 5 forge and are now working on Halo Infinite Forge. If an ex-Bungie employee made the studio, you wouldn't say Skybox Labs carried Halo 5 multiplayer would you?

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

One of The most interesting part of the experience here is how people just love to double down on positions even when they’ve been clearly proven wrong.

You’ve been given info to show CA has been used as a support studio for MP content for Halo since the Halo 2 days, but you’re stubbornly sticking to your ‘carrying 343’ spiel.

Leyasu

Banned
Fucking 343 needs all the help they can get. Perhaps they can get the mp out of beta in 2022 with some other studios supporting them.

Kuranghi

Did they fix the cutscene/reload, grappling, etc animation stuttering in the campaign yet? I really want to try it but thats put me off, can't get clarity on the issue even though I've asked around the usual places.

Alpha Male

Is this not "Warzone 2.0"?

It was cut for launch but...

They are supposedly going to launch it this year and those that have played it said that is is pretty much Battlefield Halo with AI and much bigger maps with more players and more vehicles.

Did they fix the cutscene/reload, grappling, etc animation stuttering in the campaign yet? I really want to try it but thats put me off, can't get clarity on the issue even though I've asked around the usual places.
The cutscenes have 30fps animation right? That's not fixed but the other ones are.

I don't have any strong feelings about a BR in Infinite to be honest. It's gonna be one of those wait and see type of deals. Let's see if 343 can get the game back on track with coop and other missing elements first.

PvE or BR does nothing for me. If Halo want to bring back the players, then the series should go back to the roots of Unreal and their game modes

Attack/Defense - One team has to reach the centre of a base (or wherever) the other team has to stop them.
Humans vs Beasts - A survival mode like Gears' Horde mode, except the Horde is covenent/flood etc, controlled by other players and teams swap round.

We have 30 years' worth of multiplayer ideas, some of the best are left in the dust. Let's raise them from the dead and use them in modern games, rather than trying to be Call of ApexniteZone Field, for the 90th time.

Graciaus

Whatever happened to that mode from Halo 5 that was PvP and PvE? I only played H5 at launch but I had a lot of fun in that and with some balance tweaks could have been even better.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Whatever happened to that mode from Halo 5 that was PvP and PvE? I only played H5 at launch but I had a lot of fun in that and with some balance tweaks could have been even better.
Warzone. Warzone Assault and Warzone Firefight.
It got a bunch of updates and the PvE "Firefight" got really good by the end as they introduced a bunch of new bosses and obviously new req packs so the race to be high scorer got intense as Halo 5.
Every shooter should have some sort of PvE Horde mode, sometimes you dont want the pressure of carrying your team, you just want to work together with other players to complete objectives.
It was a better Co-op mode than the Co-op mode in the campaign.

FeldMonster

Warzone. Warzone Assault and Warzone Firefight.
It got a bunch of updates and the PvE "Firefight" got really good by the end as they introduced a bunch of new bosses and obviously new req packs so the race to be high scorer got intense as Halo 5.
Every shooter should have some sort of PvE Horde mode, sometimes you dont want the pressure of carrying your team, you just want to work together with other players to complete objectives.
It was a better Co-op mode than the Co-op mode in the campaign.
Yeah Warzone Firefight is awesome. I still play it occasionally even though I strongly prefer Arena 4v4. Though as Horde mode's go, my ultimate is Frontier Defense in TitanFall 2.

I wish we could use Req weapons in campaign in some sort of New Game Plus mode.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Looks like fuckin' everything about this has been leaked. It may be farther along then we think. Possibly an E3-adjacent showcase reveal ?

Last edited:
Halo BR should center around a Warthog for each squad. Make it the mobile respawn point. If it gets destroyed your team has to get a new one dropped in or no more respawns. This would make sniping/camping more challenging as you would need to hide/protect your warthog.

Last edited:

elliot5

Halo BR should center around a Warthog for each squad. Make it the mobile respawn point. If it gets destroyed your team has to get a new one dropped in or no more respawns. This would make sniping/camping more challenging as you would need to hide/protect your warthog.
Seems unbalanced against snipers/rockets as warthogs get basically one tapped

Ozriel

M$FT
Mandatory: where the fuck is co-op?

This is a thread about Certain Affinity providing support for MP modes. What’s that got to do with campaign co-op?

9TS.gif

Given how Infinite didn't brought any audience while being F2P because of how bad/broken almost everything is, I have little to no doubts this new separate mode will bomb just as hard.

Sounds like wishful thinking to me 😀

Ozriel

M$FT
Looks like fuckin' everything about this has been leaked. It may be farther along then we think. Possibly an E3-adjacent showcase reveal ?

Microsoft loves to put expansions in their E3 showcases, so it’ll likely be shown off at their big showcase.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
A BattleRoyale......Ill give it a go but I really wanted Warzone and Warzone Firefight.
Hopefully they have included some elements of Warzone in this mode.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
6cvr2k.jpg

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem and ethomaz ethomaz laughing at any xbox related as usual.

On topic, sounds interesting. Could make me come back. How long I will stay is uncertain.

Played the game for about a month and then left due to lack of maps.

Honestly they've got a high bar with games like Fortnite, Apex and Warzone out there. Example, the slide in Infinite is crap compared to Apex. The map designs better be more standoff than anything in Infinite. The map and engagement flows of Fortnite and Apex especially have wonderful design to them. You can use terrain, indoor, outdoor, bait, ambush etc. Halo Infinite map design feels amateurish by comparison; the current maps for 4v4 or BTB I mean. I hope Max's team really brings their A game to the map designs and combat flows. 343 and Infinite do not have a solid track record for brilliant map designs. BR games live and die on their maps/areas.

Top Bottom