• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Challenges in video games are stupid.

levyjl1988

Banned
Challenges, Dailies, Weeklies, bounties, whatever the fuck you can call them, they are fucking stupid in video games.

1. Some challenges are awful and way too fucking specific eg) Complete 2 Total Control Matches in PvP, I would have to go to Big Team Battle in PvP and hope I get that playlist, if not I quit and try again until I get it.
2. It changes your behavior to be more awful than you really are, like trying to get a melee kill when everyone else is using shotguns and swords for example.

Whatever happened to long progress bars you can naturally accumulate it when you play the game normally, hit a milestone, and earn something.
Why go out of the way and fuck up your playstyle or do some grinding shit that isn't fun for rewards.

Honestly, some game designers are way too fucking stupid and make games more like a job or a second chore. Games are supposed to be fun.
The gameplay is supposed to be so fun that you would genuinely come back to just play the game rather than the extrinsic rewards.

Games these days feel disingenuine, FOMO and time-limited events where things have to be acquired on their time and schedule rather than yours.

Honestly, the only game doing some sort of challenge system RIGHT is Monster Rise, every other game feels imposing and fucking garbage.

/rant

HTK

Banned
I know challenges in games are stupid. Therefore I don't waste any of my time on them, because that's all they are a big waste of your time and nerves.

Simply avoid them.

Last edited:
As long as those remains trophies and cosmetics have at it. If they ever become required to play the game or pay to win then GFTO.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Sounds like something a gamer with a low Gamerscore would say.

But seriously I think all achievements should be secret/hidden and must be cool things like in RDR "rot out all buffalo" and the dastardly achievement. Also they should only be in-game and maybe unlock funny shit.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
I enjoyed games back in the day where rewards actually meant accomplishing difficult and secret things, you either had to be in the group of the know it or either skilled, not grinding shit.

Jumping Halo rings in a level in a specific order was amazing in the day in Halo 3.

Or discovering all the hidden skulls and getting to it.

In Destiny going an alternate route in a campaign mission leading to a new exotic that came out serendipitously without being announced.

Cracking a hidden wall in Dark Souls to uncover another large new area easily missed in a playthrough. Whatever happened to those secrets and wonders? Instead we get shitty rewards where we have to grind where there isn’t any real value in games anymore.

Where is that sense of discovery and awe.

Fuck modern games.

treemk

Banned
They can be fun but are more than overdone at this point, one of the many reasons From Soft games are a breath of fresh air.

levyjl1988

Banned
Sounds like something a gamer with a low Gamerscore would say.

But seriously I think all achievements should be secret/hidden and must be cool things like in RDR "rot out all buffalo" and the dastardly achievement. Also they should only be in-game and maybe unlock funny shit.
I stopped caring about achievements after the Xbox 360 days. When there are achievements for different regions, achievements tied to multiplayer where servers can go down and the community isn’t there or live achievements based on luck like 1 vs 100 and the inability to ever complete it, fuck acheivements. They were good but executed very poorly that I fell out of it altogether. Achievements are merely milestones now for devs to gauge to see how many players can tolerate bs tasks or see how far they got in their game before they stopped playing altogether and gave up. There is no sense of accomplishment except a number that goes up and its a number you can’t spend like money.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I think they've just been abused TBH, so much so that they don't feel fresh whatsoever. Other than that, I'd say it all depends on how they're implemented.

soulbait

I never focus on them myself, especially in MP games, but others enjoy them. Just because it is not for me, does not mean someone else cannot like them :p

Isn't a game itself just a bunch of challenges anyway?

AJUMP23

You can blame Modern Warfare for making the online shooter an RPG with a progression system. I think it is fine to have a challenge to give you some bonus XP or something but overall I ignore them for the most part.

Mossybrew

I like them in Fortnite. There are always a good variety of Quests that give you something else to do during a match, so they add variety to the gameplay by giving you smaller goals to chase other than just winning the round.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I try to stay away from timed challenges (unless they're super fun), because I know that in most cases they're specifically designed to "trick" you into logging in and playing the game on a daily basis. This can easily become an addiction and you can also start wasting time by doing them instead of playing the main content.

Last edited:
The optional challenges in Red Dead 2 are actually pretty awesome. They are entirely optional and help you upgrade your stats. And they can be a great way to have fun if you don't really enjoy the actual story of the game.

Top Bottom