• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Changing partition sizes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to take an un-used part of a partition and add it to another? The reason I ask is that I allocated 60GB each to my Programs and Media Files partitions. I would like to take 20GB from the Programs partition and add it to the Media Files partition. So it would be 40GB for Programs and 80GB for media files.

EDIT: Doing all that while sparing the data on both partitions in question.

Mason

Programs like Partition Magic and Partition Expert are supposed to be able to do that. I'm too afraid to try them, though.

nubbe

I have used Partition Magic a few times to resize and merge partitions, never had an issue.

But there is always a risk that something goes wrong… You better use the latest version with the latest patch if you’re going to try it.

I ran Partition Magic 8 and great news... I found like 30GB of unpartitoned space! I added it to my Media partition and now have 80GB in there. This program works great!

Diablos

You can also use some linux distro setups (Red Hat, SuSe) to break up partitions and actually exit before your install.

Linux is good for something after all :D *runs*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom