• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheating in online games. Is there any hope?

ZoukGalaxy

No, because, sadly, it's part of human nature to cheat all the time in all aspect of life.

It's dead Jim, like the thread bump.

Last edited:
Holy shit that's quite the thread bump.

Xi41Z2V.gif

Last edited:

Sybrix

I love seeing these type of thread bumps.

A legitimate concern regarding online gaming is still present 20 years later and here's documentary evidence on it.

Any game devs seeing this..... this is proof that anti-cheat systems then and now do not work.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I only do LAN parties or the rare cases where I do play online, I do with friends.

Don't see the appeal of playing with internet randos. For me part of the fun is being in the same room, getting mad at each other, calling names or throwing shit at each other. That's not possible online, and it makes me sad that one poster said "bring back LAN parties". They never went away bro, just invite your friends and play some games.

Uiki

A legitimate concern regarding online gaming is still present 20 years later and here's documentary evidence on it.

Any game devs seeing this..... this is proof that anti-cheat systems then and now do not work.
No shit. The only one believing anticheat is the solution are the delusional players whining to no end.

You need a comprehensive multiple "walls" effort to combat cheating. Ac is just the last line of defence.

Not many devs are willing to put in the effort/money/infrastructure with little to no return. People are gonna play anyways....

Plus, you need to plan all this stuff at the beginning of the life of a game and imagining it doing good and be profitable for years. No one is willing to risk it.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Most of the users who posted in this 2004 thread don't appear to be around anymore.

Online cheaters probably killed them. Cheating is serious business, but everyone here is making jokes. When this is bumped in another 18 years, most people here will share the same fate.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

It's like saying prisons don't work, so release every criminal. It works, they just can't catch everyone.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Most of the users who posted in this 2004 thread don't appear to be around anymore.
On the reverse, there's probably posters here now that weren't alive when this thread was made.

It shows how evergreen this problem is. Now we have "solutions" like Easy Anti Cheat in Elden Ring, which does sod all except get in the way of people disabling chromatic aberration

Last edited:

Skifi28

Dinosaurs like you will have to keep living in the past. Streaming will be the only way going forward if you like it or not.
I'm glad you have decided how the future is going to be. But if you don't mind, I'll be living in my future that looks a little different.

Last edited:

Uiki

Dinosaurs like you will have to keep living in the past. Streaming will be the only way going forward if you like it or not.
Yep. It's sad that multiplayer games are at all-time low player count. It's time for the future. Personally, I can't wait to play csgo 2 via stadia. Maybe in vr.

Last edited:

Banned

and casual idiots will eat it up, but the core gaming audience will push against it... hopefully successfully, because game streaming is pure shit

Skifi28

You got to be a real shit for brains to not see where the industry is going.
I expect you to be a billionaire soon knowing all about the industry as well as what the future holds. Good for you, I hope you invest some of that money into saving the planet.

TheGecko

Banned
Explain how the freedom of pc gaming will die with streaming.
What you gonna play son, games will only be on streaming services.

Streaming services will be embedded In to tvs and phones, the masses will soak it up like the ps2 dvd buyers.

The clowns quoting me below were probably the ones shouting how blueray will never take off because dvd is all they need, then movie streaming wont take off because mah BR quality. , now they denouncing the giant wall that's looming over every gamer.

Get with the times, you sound ancient.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
What you gonna play son, games will only be on streaming services.

Streaming services will be embedded In to tvs and phones, the masses will soak it up like the ps2 dvd buyers.

The clowns quoting me below were probably the ones shouting how blueray will never take off because dvd is all they need, then movie atreaming wont take off because mah BR quality. , now they denouncing the giant wall that's looming over every gamer.

Get with the times.you sound ancient.
So Steam will be shut down, PCs will not be more necessary to create games and other stuff. Microsoft, Nvidia, Intel and AMD will go bankrupt. Got it.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
I was playing Battlefield 1 yesterday and was getting 1 Shot by the same dude from across the map on PC that just showed their out of map outline once you died. Quit the game 5 minutes later. Thanks Dice and EA. Fix your shit, you fucks!

Also... yes 20+ years later, there's still cheating OP!
Skeleton Christmas Lights GIF by jjjjjohn

TheGecko

Banned
So Steam will be shut down, PCs will not be more necessary to create games and other stuff. Microsoft, Nvidia, Intel and AMD will go bankrupt. Got it.
Listen Roger. Use you brains. No it won't be shut down but games won't be coming to it, probably indie shit like its getting flooded with. But hey have fun playing goat fucker and mow your lawn bollocks.

Nvidia and AMD don't give a fuck about gamers, they want them big business enterprise users. THEY will be the ones with the hardware in the data centres.

You lot are so short sited it's actually unbelievable.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Listen Roger. Use you brains. No it won't be shut down but games won't be coming to it, probably indie shit like its getting flooded with. But hey have fun playing goat fucker and mow your lawn bollocks.

Nvidia and AMD don't give a fuck about gamers, they want them big business enterprise users. THEY will be the ones with the hardware in the data centres.

You lot are so short sited it's actually unbelievable.
If they don't give a fuck about gamers why they sell hardware and optimise drivers for games? Looks like the short sited is someone who thinks the future is only one way of gaming.

Fahdis

How did you find this thread?

Didn't want to make a new thread. Was looking at the original threads of Neogaf and this showed up and it was still relevant to my experience day before yesterday. So I thought, why not? Also, it was on the 3rd page from the past, showing how much it was a nuisance then too as per the OP.

If they don't give a fuck about gamers why they sell hardware and optimise drivers for games? Looks like the short sited is someone who thinks the future is only one way of gaming.

Actually, they don't if you saw what happened during this crypto bull market shit we just went through aside from the Silicone shortage. The companies wholesale'd GPU's to miners taking the market expense with them. Gamers are secondary in the hardware business unless its a dedicated machine like consoles. Sad state of affairs.

Also, yes its ironic stating this now but Nvidia Reflex, a good Gigabyte internet gets rid of input lag and compressed to a great degree. As for lack of freedom, yes, this is an issue.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Didn't want to make a new thread. Was looking at the original threads of Neogaf and this showed up and it was still relevant to my experience day before yesterday. So I thought, why not? Also, it was on the 3rd page from the past, showing how much it was a nuisance then too as per the OP.

Actually, they don't if you saw what happened during this crypto bull market shit we just went through aside from the Silicone shortage. The companies wholesale'd GPU's to miners taking the market expense with them. Gamers are secondary in the hardware business unless its a dedicated machine like consoles. Sad state of affairs.

Also, yes its ironic stating this now but Nvidia Reflex, a good Gigabyte internet gets rid of input lag and compressed images completely. As for lack of freedom, yes, this is an issue.
Secondary is still being their target. They didn't stop optimising drivers for games during the crypto shit. Also improving RT/AI performance.

There is no suck thing as getting rid of input lag. Wtf? Input lag will always exist, and be better on local pc.

Last edited:

Fahdis

Secondary is still being their target. They didn't stop optimising drivers for games during the crypto shit.

Obviously, the side piece is in an abusive relationship. When the mistress leaves, the companies have to come back home and play nice by asking for forgiveness and give attention to us again. Until, next time of course.

I'm impressed. This thread is old enough to be legal.

Then...fuck this thread.

On a more serious note, it's still relevant today. Cheating is everywhere in so many forms. Controller mods, game mods, scripting, macros, network manipulation, DDOS, wallhacks, aimbots/triggerbots, lag switch, look-ahead, XIM adapters, spoofing, rapid fire....and it's endless how much can be cheated.

BlackTron

I'm sorry, but people who sees cheaters everywhere just sucks at playing games and blame other people at being cheaters while they are just better.

I've got several hundreds of hours in cs go, cod etc and haven't seen a cheater in ages.

I have been called a cheater though so there's that 🤷‍♂️

Back when this thread was new I would get called a cheater all the time, but encountering real ones was still a problem here and there.

Today, I don't ever get called a cheater, and I don't know in Halo Infinite if the person cheated or is just using a controller and has aim assist.

I think it was better back then.

Top Bottom