• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheats on PC

I've always had consoles from Atari to the last generation; Xbox One and Playstation 4.
Cheats were common in games on all platforms but at some point and for some reason, cheats disappeared and today they are rare or non-existent.

3 years ago I built a PC powerful enough to play anything (thankfully I did it before the world collapsed).

In addition to the obvious advantage of PC over consoles, something caught my attention; I could use cheats in any game. And I'm not just talking about mods -which are amazing in their own right-, but about simpler things like: infinite lives, invincibility, ammo, money, etc.

Apart from the "moral" side that is cheating (which some may care about) or cheating "breaking the game" to the point where it's not even fun anymore, I see great advantage in using cheats in certain games and in certain situations:

Example situation: I've played X game in the past. I want to see what this game looks like on PC and finish it but I don't want to go through it all again or I don't have the time or patience for it.
Okay, put invincibility or "one hit kill" and pass the game as "Superman".

I was surprised that it was so simple to do on the PC; literally one click. Enables and disables easily. No codes, button sequences or "passwords".

Having said all that, I wonder if I'm isolated in this opinion or if it's normal. Do you use cheats on PC? If yes, in what situation? New games releases? Games you've played in the past and don't want to go through it all again and just "see the end"?

When I use cheats, I use the Wemod tool. I find it easy and functional. There are others, of course, but since this one satisfies, I see no reason to test others.

Nope I never use cheats, not in singleplayer and especially not in multiplayer and I do not take fondly of those who do, yes that includes people who use cheats in singleplayer games as well. Maybe, just maybe I can accept that you're using them in a second playthrough or to unlock an achievement, but even then I will still not think very highly of you and I will never change my stance on that.

Guilty_AI

The only game i "cheated" recently was Noita, because the base game has some insanely punishing difficulty (basically gave myself more lives instead of the full permadeath of the game, and a way to recover health, whereas in the base game you can only recover health at the end of each level).

Aside from that, most "cheats" i use are just for messing around in the game.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Don't use them much but I have. Used a trainer to improve drops in boarder lands and a money cheat in Red dead cause looting took to fucking long.

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Modified a few config files to reduce grind in some games and used some baked in codes in games of yesteryear but never really bothered with trainers and such.

Player Respawn

Neo Member
I haven’t used cheats on pc yet (mostly trainers). I used to cheat all the time on ps2 though, I played through all of the gtas in that era exclusively with cheats (I still remember the basic structure of the button combinations to this day.).

Achievements on 360 kinda killed the whole idea for me (even though I don’t collect ‘em anymore, I hate the feeling of bieng blocked from them), and most games are so much easier to get through these days on medium difficulty, that I don’t need to even use cheats. Like GTA 3-SA was a bitch to get through missions without cheats, and GTA IV-V I beat without even thinking of cheating.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
What person?

OP is talking about single player, and not not multiplayer games, at least as far as I can tell.
Yeah.. cheaters a cheater .. nothing in life is easy.. just training yourself to look for the easy way out… cheaters never win… just say no.. and knowing is half the battle .. GI Joe!!!

Fbh

As long as you only use them in single player games I don't mind.
I used a trainer to get more XP in AC Odyssey because I thought the progression was too slow and annoying and I didn't like the mission level gating (all of which is by design, since they sell you the extra XP modifier).

Also had the infinite run mod in Dragons Dogma as well as an optimized leveling system where I didn't have to play half game as I class I don't like to have the right stats for the class I do like. Though to be fair it wasn't the first time I played the game, my first playthrough was legit.

Guilty_AI

Oh right, when playing DOS2 with friends i was using a summoner and we decided to mod the game to let me summon 3 monsters instead of just one from the base game, mainly because we thought it'd be funnier that way.

Last edited:

Graciaus

If something is annoying me enough I'll just stop playing instead of cheating. Mods to cut down pointless grinding are about all I'd do.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I've always had consoles from Atari to the last generation; Xbox One and Playstation 4.
Cheats were common in games on all platforms but at some point and for some reason, cheats disappeared and today they are rare or non-existent.

3 years ago I built a PC powerful enough to play anything (thankfully I did it before the world collapsed).

In addition to the obvious advantage of PC over consoles, something caught my attention; I could use cheats in any game. And I'm not just talking about mods -which are amazing in their own right-, but about simpler things like: infinite lives, invincibility, ammo, money, etc.

Apart from the "moral" side that is cheating (which some may care about) or cheating "breaking the game" to the point where it's not even fun anymore, I see great advantage in using cheats in certain games and in certain situations:

Example situation: I've played X game in the past. I want to see what this game looks like on PC and finish it but I don't want to go through it all again or I don't have the time or patience for it.

I was surprised that it was so simple to do on the PC; literally one click. Enables and disables easily. No codes, button sequences or "passwords".

Having said all that, I wonder if I'm isolated in this opinion or if it's normal. Do you use cheats on PC? If yes, in what situation? New games releases? Games you've played in the past and don't want to go through it all again and just "see the end"?

When I use cheats, I use the Wemod tool. I find it easy and functional. There are others, of course, but since this one satisfies, I see no reason to test others.
The sad part about this is that it is relatively ease to scum players do this on online games too.

I use in some games, like GTAs and giving infinite inventory space/weight in Skyrim and Witcher 3.

Last edited:
Sure if you want to be that person …. Go ahead

Games are designed to be played without cheating. I get it.
But there are people who don't have time, have kids, two jobs, bad motor skills, no patience or just aren't good at the game and who can benefit from cheats, as long as it's not in multiplayer.

After all, we are not elitists to pejoratively mark these people as "that person", right?

"That person" not hurting anyone in her dark room playing the game alone.

Wemod is the shit! As a fairly new pc gamer, and a huge fan of game genie and game shark back in the day…thank Christ there is a way to spice up second playthroughs in single player games. I loathe cheaters in multiplayer games, but have always believed you should be able to play a single player title however the hell you want.

BigBooper

Yea, I haven't used cheats in a long time, but some of the old school games had great cheats. It was great fun using the trainers to put tractor tires on the sports cars in Interstate 76.

The bad flipside to that is it's also easier for people to cheat online. For that reason, I usually prefer playing competitive games on console.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Don’t feed it.
I mean sure if you want to be that kind of poster…. Go ahead.

Games are designed to be played without cheating. I get it.
But there are people who don't have time, have kids, two jobs, bad motor skills, no patience or just aren't good at the game and who can benefit from cheats, as long as it's not in multiplayer.

After all, we are not elitists to pejoratively mark these people as "that person", right?

"That person" not hurting anyone in her dark room playing the game alone.
I literally have all that going on and am old as fuck. I really don’t care just wanted to set up for the GI joe reply lol…but I’ll reply to this because it’s like the game pass scenario .. you could lose out on the better experience if you don’t really give it a chance.
It’s not about finishing a game quickly .. it usually takes me months to finish a game because of all you laid out but I’m in no rush. I rather have the complete experience than make a game easier just to finish it faster and chance having a worse over all experience.

Last edited:
Perhaps past cheats are becoming or being called "accessibility".

If I'm not mistaken in the game Control, in accessibility, you can put invincibility. I think I also saw this in The Last of Us 2.

Well, on the one hand, if this is there because of the "snowflake culture" that is easily bothered by the game's difficulty, at the same time, it makes life easier for the guy who likes the game but doesn't have the ability to pass X level.

If something is annoying me enough I'll just stop playing instead of cheating. Mods to cut down pointless grinding are about all I'd do.

If I paid 70$ for a game, it's too difficult for me and I didn't get a refund, my friend, you can bet I'll put so many cheats in this game that it will be unrecognizable, hahaha.

DarthPutin

Of course, love them! Let me enjoy at least one game I would put down almost immediately otherwise. it is also a guarantee that I won't buy a game I will be unable to experience. So for hard games it's PC only for me.

Cheats and mods to me are same thing, tools to tailor experience to your needs, since no developer can cater to each individual. Likewise you can adjust difficulty up if you need.

Games are just another type of entertainment, a way to kill time and explore other people's imagination... People who take this stuff too seriously are weird, tbh. Do what works best for you, no reason to care about other players preferences.

Of course, cheating in MP is different, since you are ruining other people's fun. I don't play MP at all, so it's not even a question.

Of course, love them! Let me enjoy at least one game I would put down almost immediately otherwise. it is also a guarantee that I won't buy a game I will be unable to experience. So for hard games it's PC only for me.

Cheats and mods to me are same thing, tools to tailor experience to your needs, since no developer can cater to each individual. Likewise you can adjust difficulty up if you need.

Games are just another type of entertainment, a way to kill time and explore other people's imagination... People who take this stuff too seriously are weird, tbh. Do what works best for you, no reason to care about other players preferences.

Of course, cheating in MP is different, since you are ruining other people's fun. I don't play MP at all, so it's not even a question.

Exactly. Those who oppose cheats; it's like being against fast forward a movie. "Don't do it because the experience was not meant to be like this".

Knightime_X

I love cheats.
But there are times I crave the challenge and do so accordingly.
Other times I use cheats as a way to reduce the grind or chore of farming.

Sometimes I just want to be a demi god.

I mean sure if you want to be that kind of poster…. Go ahead.

I literally have all that going on and am old as fuck. I really don’t care just wanted to set up for the GI joe reply lol…but I’ll reply to this because it’s like the game pass scenario .. you could lose out on the better experience if you don’t really give it a chance.
It’s not about finishing a game quickly .. it usually takes me months to finish a game because of all you laid out but I’m in no rush. I rather have the complete experience than make a game easier just to finish it faster and chance having a worse over all experience.
Jesus smh

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Jesus smh
giphy.webp

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
When I have gotten my use for a game I often enable cheats when replaying them like infinite money or some random shit.

When someone buys a game and said system to play them on I couldn't care less how people enjoy their game in single player games as long as people are gaming

CitizenZ

Banned
I am always player choice and a lot, and I mean lot of devs are moving to that where in the menu you basically are now getting cheat engine choices. If anything I think The Forest did it the best you had rules in the menu to add mods, play without enemies, regrowth of trees, no damage to buildings, etc. Why its still one of the most played games everyday, player choice matters.

Top Bottom