• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheddar: Activision Blizzard First Diversity Report Shows Continuing Lack of Gender Representation

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Totally unrelated, but is it possible the chemicals in my blue hair dye could cause mental illness?
Kind of like the theory in social media. The more weird/loud users there are, the more people become weird/loud and follow them.

Well, leave it to the tech industry. Video games and social media companies in particular.

Probably the only industry/kinds of companies you have with lots of people that seem so out of touch, weird, political, social media whores (including ragging on coworkers and bosses and posting confidential company memos on Twitter), and love bringing their home life crisis to work.

Out of all the other big kind of industries out there that have lots of people.... finance/insurance, manufacturing, energy/utility companies, telcom services, even the average Walmart store or grocery chain with shit loads of workers including high school part timers (Walmart has 2M workers alone according to google), it sure seems people in other kinds of industries seem chill and act normal.

Last edited:

realcool

videoblocks-silhouette-young-man-praying-outside-at-beautiful-sunset-male-asks-for-help-finding-solace-in-faith-concept-religion_sqxzhcqbo4_thumbnail-1080_01.png
504775main_Massive_Impact-1.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why is it important to have more non-binary people at the company? What does being non-binary have to do with videogames
Even odder is the pie charts have a slice called "something else". Whatever that means. Maybe they identify as a cafeteria coffee maker.

Gender shouldnt be important as you'd think skill set, personality, and simply being within the salary budget would be the difference makers.

So much for "companies shouldnt be discriminatory and hire based on looks".

However, in the past few decades it seems gender is a big deal in order to space out jobs. Since STEM roles are a big thing that pays good money, forced inclusion for whichever factor is is purposely focused on is artificially spread out (even disproportionately vs public demographic surveys) because they dont want "the typical white guy" blowing past them. Somehow white dudes can figure it out, so other groups get a boost so they dont fall behind.

On the other hand, jobs that historically have a big female focus (teaching, nursing, medical support jobs, admin jobs, any job to do with kids), nobody ever gives a shit about more men should be hired. That's because the typical guy doesn't want these jobs as there's better jobs out there. So they skew heavy into other jobs (tech included).

Last edited:
Even odder is the pie charts have a slice called "something else". Whatever that means. Maybe they identify as a cafeteria coffee maker.

Gender shouldnt be important as you'd think skill set, personality, and simply being within the salary budget would be the difference makers.

So much for "companies shouldnt be discriminatory and hire based on looks".

However, in the past few decades it seems gender is a big deal in order to space out jobs. Since STEM roles are a big thing that pays good money, forced inclusion for whichever factor is is purposely focused on is artificially spread out (even disproportionately vs public demographic surveys) because they dont want "the typical white guy" blowing past them. Somehow white dudes can figure it out, so other groups get a boost so they dont fall behind.

It is our burden, after all.

HTK

Banned
I’m curious if other industries are trying to pump up their numbers, especially in industries like carpentry, brick layering, roofing, military, policing, firefighters, sewer jumping, construction work (you know the 90% male dominated industries) etc… or is the equality only prevalent in nice cozy office jobs with high pay and leadership positions and if that is the case there is no real interest in real equality as far as I’m concerned.

Let’s be fair and equal across the board and not just cherry pick industries and positions.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It is our burden, after all.
It's typically men as whole who got to carry the weight.

I remember reading an article where a company or city's garbage disposal department was looking to hire more women. They even blatantly said they'd hire more women to boost the gender split (which seems pretty discriminatory to make that statement for the internet to see), but said they cant affect it because something like only 3% of job applicants are women.

I think the typical garbage guy makes $25/hr (I took a guess). Not going to make you a millionaire like a STEM job, but better than a shitty min wage admin job or working at a drug store.

Guys will do these dirty jobs. No shame. As long as it pays the bills, guys will do it. Women avoid dirty, dangerous or jobs with a slummy image like the plague, so their wages are gimped as they funnel to low wage white collar office or service jobs. Its as simple as that.

Th facility manager at my company (the guy who roams around the office and warehouse) doing odd jobs, fixing shit, ensuring there's health and safety policies etc.... makes over $100,000. Not the type of job that will win anyone "coolest career in the world", but hell if it pays 6 digits and is a stable job, go for it. As long as you dont fuck up, it seems like a super stable job as they guy has been working at the company for like 15 years. And Ive never seen this guy work OT. Once 4 pm comes along, he's out the door. I bet for anyone who works at a company who has a dedicated facility manager job, it's going to be a guy doing it 99% of the time.

Last edited:
To play Devil's advocate: Once you remove the justice system, the criminals go away.

Criminals of... having a skin color, sex, orientation, etc., all of which are immutable characteristics? Unlike crime which consists of voluntary (and sometimes involuntary) acts that can be committed by anyone?

Am I looking at this analogy incorrectly? Or are you trying to put yourself in the shoes of someone who might think like that?

Criminals of... having a skin color, sex, orientation, etc., all of which are immutable characteristics? Unlike crime which consists of voluntary (and sometimes involuntary) acts that can be committed by anyone?

Am I looking at this analogy incorrectly? Or are you trying to put yourself in the shoes of someone who might think like that?

A better analogy might've been "After eliminating our police force, the arrest rate has dropped to 0%" Removing smoke detectors doesn't stop house fires.

I didn't mean to imply that the actual people in question were guilty of anything.

And yes, by "playing Devil's advocate" I meant I was putting myself in the shoes of someone who might take your argument to the logical extreme.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Why is it important to have more non-binary people at the company? What does being non-binary have to do with videogames
Because it can't be just a 0 or a 1 in code.

Sometimes it has to be a -. or a \. or a /.

Code needs to be representable to the community it serves by the company that diverses.
once you remove the reports doing these "people" then the problem goes away.
Ftfy.

ReBurn

Gold Member
What these survey results always leave out is demographics for applicants. I've worked in tech for decades and applicants for nearly every job tend to be overwhelmingly white guys. Aside from forcing people to apply and take jobs they don't want I don't know how whatever version of equality they're expecting is going to happen.

Fbh

Working at Blizzard sounds like an absolute nightmare.
When you aren't getting abused by your bosses you have to deal with this woke crap.

"How was your day at work?"
"Great, got yelled at by the creative director for no reason in the morning and then after lunch I had to go to HR to get scolded because an email I wrote included one word that resonates with men more than the other 24 genders"

hire people best suited for the job. don't try making up the numbers or score points by hiring specific people. it entirely defeats the purpose and makes no sense.

Gotta get that ESG score somehow
This post is so underrated. People, do some research on ESG. It's why even the mightiest companies are bending to the woke bullshit. ESG and Woke are intertwined under the guise of climate change and such.
Also, this:

nkarafo

There always will be a lack of gender representation if there are 72 genders and they represent less than 10% of the population.

I'm reading the descriptions and i can't believe these are serious. There's no way. There has to be some trolling of a global scale going on here. I'm actually impressed.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Bobby Kotick is embarrassed by this revelation. He needs a higher proportion of staff not sexually harassed as he had to reharass some staff. This is shocking and hopefully with the MS acquisition, there will be thousands more to harass.

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Fuz

recursive

Because in the real world, people are hired because of their talent and background. That's just how it is. People are expected to work and prove their worth, always. Not because of their race, ethnicity, gender, etc.
That is the way it should be but believe it or not as a hiring manager I have quotas in my yearly o jectives to increase representation by a certain percent. Meanwhile our rates keep going up because it takes longer to get work done..

Top Bottom