• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chernobylite Next-Gen and Enhanced Edition Trailer

The_hunter

I can already tell the plot twist from that short gameplay
the guy in the masked suit near the end is his missing wife
Anyone play the game? Is it good?

Last edited:

hlm666

The good news is you didn't get the plot twist right.

As for the game I enjoyed it. It is not a full linear experience though, you go back to a core set of maps over and over to scavenge resources to upgrade your base/gear and progress storylines. I'm not sure what I should compare it to, it's somewhere between stalker and a very forgiving roguelike.
Is this a good game to fill the STALKER 2 shaped hole in our hearts ?
This is hard to answer, i was really looking forward to stalker 2 and while this can kinda scratch that itch in places I think after finishing it most people waiting for stalker 2 would want stalker 2 even a bit more.

The_hunter

The good news is you didn't get the plot twist right.

As for the game I enjoyed it. It is not a full linear experience though, you go back to a core set of maps over and over to scavenge resources to upgrade your base/gear and progress storylines. I'm not sure what I should compare it to, it's somewhere between stalker and a very forgiving roguelike.

This is hard to answer, i was really looking forward to stalker 2 and while this can kinda scratch that itch in places I think after finishing it most people waiting for stalker 2 would want stalker 2 even a bit more.
I'm a big fan of metro, fallout. Will pick this up in the future.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Downloading the demo on xbox to check this out. Had my eye on it for a while, looks like a good game to get lost in for a while.

hlm666

I'm a big fan of metro, fallout. Will pick this up in the future.
I like both those series aswell so I think you'll find something to like with it. it can be a bit rough around the edges but you have dealt with those kinda issues and got past it to enjoy those games so it could be worth some of your time even if you wait for a sale or something.

winjer

Gold Member

No, you got it wrong. The twist is even more convoluted than that :messenger_beaming:

For people wondering if this is like Fallout, or Stalker, or Metro. The answer is no.
This game has some similarities to these games, but it does it's own thing. So if you go expecting a Stalker, you will be disappointed.
The game has a mix of base building, team management, gun combat and/or stealth, and a good amount of story driven narrative. And there are a lot of narrative choices here, and they do matter a lot.
The story and the choices we make in this game is one of it's strongest points.
The game is not an open world. It works more like a hub with areas to access and do missions.
Basically we have base, where we can build stuff to help during missions and to keep our team in tip top shape.
Then we go into one of several areas in Pripyat and do missions. During these missions we collect loot for our base. We find enemies that we can either fight or stealth around.
We find some people around. Some are merchants that sell us upgrades. Some are random NPCs that give us small quests. And we find people that we can recruit for our team.

Graphics are very good for an UE4 game. Especially vegetation during storms.
It has several real locations scanned, from Pripyat. This includes things like the children park, the area around the reactor dome, the reactor control room, apartment areas, etc.
So this is as close as most of us will ever get to see the real Pripyat and it's contaminated areas.
Story wise, it's about a mystery with some super natural elements, some time travel paradoxes, and the disaster of Chernobyl.

The game is also having a ton of support, with constant updates and added content. I finished the game August last year, when it came out. But I'll probably pick it up again this summer to see what they added.

It does have it's issues. Some of the English voice acting is not very good. So I would recommend you chose Russian with subtitles, for a more authentic feeling.
Maps are used through several missions and this can lead to some repetition. So don't bother exploring every nook and cranny when you enter a new map, for the first time.
Base and team management might seem a bit daunting at first, but it's actually very simple and almost basic.
It also has a very unique game mechanic where if we kill many people, our sanity starts to decrease and this affects our ability to do combat and missions. And the solution is to drink vodka.
Had this mechanic been more developed an weaved into the narrative, it could have been ground breaking stuff in videogames. But as it stands, it's just a gimmick.

This is not the best game ever made. But it's a good game with a unique style. It does not have a AAA production value, and there are flaws, but it's done by people with passion and commitment.
It is a unique experience, in part because the devs are trying different things. In part because there is some lack of development in some game mechanics.
But the game is polished and there are no game breaking bugs nor crashes.
It has a user score on Steam of 83%. It's a very accurate score for this game.

Last edited:
gJ3Ivxb.png

Top Bottom