• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China calls for less 'effeminate' men in videogames and bans 'gay love'

nush

Gold Member
Maybe some folks would have a mature and realistic take on China's actions

Here's one, the old men in charge are saying younger men need to "Man up" and not "Lie down" and should aspire to be like the historical fictional retelling of Chinese history that these old men watch on endless TV shows where the Chinese are victorious against the Japanese invaders. In their minds, effeminate = gay = soft because in their day men were out there lifting bricks to make China glorious. Then #chinanumberone happened.

Out of touch old men with authority huffing their own farts about the good old days who never lifted bricks, but thier grandparents might have.

Kdad

The media, bigger than any government.
Real women = what most women look like.
So no government. Gotcha

There are a ton of video game characters that look like "real" people. There are also many that are hyper stylized. You need the government regulating this for you?

bitbydeath

Removal of real women? Would you care to give an example?
On the right is what real/most women look like, on the left are exaggerated depictions to make them look ugly.

images

bitbydeath

So no government. Gotcha

There are a ton of video game characters that look like "real" people. There are also many that are hyper stylized. You need the government regulating this for you?
Who cares, it’s already taken hold. How we got there doesn’t matter.

Kdad

Who cares, it’s already taken hold. How we got there doesn’t matter.
What has "taken hold", again...where is the western govt mandating what characters look like in videogames...you said it.

Actually, nah...you've jumped the shark

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Lol, you’re absolutely not. I don’t see Tifa, Jessie or Yuffie removed from FF7 Remake, and I live in a western country. None of the fake ass chicks that you think are “real” woman are removed by anyone, anywhere. You’re delusional.
Shit, really?
That’s bizarre.
People really don’t look like that where you live or are you kidding?

Astral Dog

I agree with you there. The west is too focused on promoting lgbtq issues at the expenses of traditional values on family, masculinity and femininity. Heterosexuals are the majority in the world population. We can coexist and accept adult members of the lgbtq community but I'm against promoting it in children. They can be manipulated easily and I believe that it's better to let them develop naturally without people outside the family with an agenda trying to influence them. Hell the majority of us were. Manipulated into believing in Santa Claus and the Easter bunny. Children can also be manipulated to become racists at an early age. Videogames for children shouldn't be promoting that and should just focus on being fun with neutral themes.
develop 'naturally' is how much homophobia has been justified dude, the classic homosexuality is unnatural thing comes from there, without promoting any lgbt education for everyone, including heterosexuals a big sector of young lgbt people is vulnerable,living with fear or forced out of their own homes

You talk about family 'values' and manipulation, but it works both ways, alot of those values can be really harmful to lgbt community

i don't care for constant woke stuff everywhere either, but what the chinese government wants to do is homophobic and thats what it is.

I was gonna let it be but every comment you write here is more concerning

NikuNashi

Removal of real women? Would you care to give an example?
What he is trying to express is removal of femininity from woman in western videogames. It's a current trend being pushed all left leaning game studios (and hollywood + netflix) to make women dress and act like men in a misguided attempt to understand what it means to be a strong woman. Its like hiring a virgin to write a complex story about relationship dynamics, this is the end result. Women in western games tend to follow the below check list.
  • No makeup,
  • Hairdo without the use of curlers or hairspray. (ideally short with asymmetrical shaving on one side)
  • Mens work Clothes. Jeans/cargo pants, grey / brown under vest, over shirt, grey, brown or flannel, boots.
  • Angry facial expressions, furrowed brow, shouts/screams.
  • dominant narcissistic personality
Things you will NOT see in a western female game character

• Makeup, feminine long hairstyle.
  • Raunchy/ Revealing clothing
  • High heels
  • Pink
  • Insecurity, shyness, self introspection
  • Physical weakness
  • Kindness, compassion, gentle actions

Boglin

Let’s not pretend the west is any better with constant complaints of white men in video games or the removal of real women.
Your comments would probably receive less pushback if you'd use less definitive words which trigger people's negative bias. For instance, instead of saying "real" women you could say "feminine" or "attractive" which is more soft and subjective. You shouldn't have to do this but hyperbolic language is no longer understood/tolerated these days and your intentions will always be perceived in the worst light.

Woodchipper

Shit, really?
That’s bizarre.
People really don’t look like that where you live or are you kidding?
To each his own, but they look much better than that where I live. They look like real women. That applies to everywhere I’ve traveled as well for that matter.

Are you telling me you live in a wax museum full of anime- and video game characters? I could see why your definition of “real” is sort of distorted then.

What he is trying to express is removal of femininity from woman in western videogames. It's a current trend being pushed all left leaning game studios (and hollywood + netflix) to make women dress and act like men in a misguided attempt to understand what it means to be a strong woman. Its like hiring a virgin to write a complex story about relationship dynamics, this is the end result. Women in western games tend to follow the below check list.
  • No makeup,
  • Hairdo without the use of curlers or hairspray. (ideally short with asymmetrical shaving on one side)
  • Mens work Clothes. Jeans/cargo pants, grey / brown under vest, over shirt, grey, brown or flannel, boots.

• High heels
  • Pink
  • Physical weakness

I am willing to bet women in general dont like these trends either. That is why when promoting such games that are supposedly "feminist" they dont reveal the data on women vs men demographics playing the game. At least i would like more graphics and pie charts showing things to see if we are going in the right direction.

Woodchipper

Your comments would probably receive less pushback if you'd use less definitive words which trigger people's negative bias. For instance, instead of saying "real" women you could say "feminine" or "attractive" which is more soft and subjective. You shouldn't have to do this but hyperbolic language is no longer understood/tolerated these days and your intentions will always be perceived in the worst light.
He’d still be wrong though, as none of these “feminine” or “attractive” characters are removed in any western country as far as I know.

He’d still be wrong though, as none of these “feminine” or “attractive” characters are removed in any western country as far as I know.
I think you are being hyper literal here. AFAIK he is talking about how western game characters arent feminine at all and look very masculine as time goes by. Even the mass effect andromeda girl would be considered too feminine these days for western games.

bitbydeath

To each his own, but they look much better than that where I live. They look like real women. That applies to everywhere I’ve traveled as well for that matter.

Are you telling me you live in a wax museum full of anime- and video game characters? I could see why your definition of “real” is sort of distorted then.
On one hand you say they look much better but on the other you think it’s the norm?
Really, which is it?
I don’t live in an anime, beautiful faces are common though.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
On the right is what real/most women look like, on the left are exaggerated depictions to make them look ugly.

images
So you don't want the ugly freeze frame mugshot on the left. You want the anime waifu pillow on the right? Just have to be sure here 🤣

In all seriousness, humans take on a wide spectrum of appearance; mostly pretty average. But in a video game, I'm being dead serious when I say I'm more preoccupied with a 'character' over appearance.

But should anyone be allowed to censor or ban how any character looks in adult video games? HELL NO. Make em hot, make em ugly. The artist decides, the user buys. That's where it should end.

Last edited:

Kdad

• No makeup,

• High heels
  • Pink
  • Physical weakness
Oh...that's what feminine is <insertbigfuckingeyeroll.gif>

Banned
On one hand you say they look much better but on the other you think it’s the norm?
Really, which is it?
I don’t live in an anime, beautiful faces are common though.

ever heard the term confirmation bias? might wanna look it up.

I'll give you homework, next time you are at a store or outside in general, look at every single woman you see, and write down how many of them are ones that look like the anime gurls on the right of your image, and also write down how many don't.
because you clearly don't live in reality.

I love my anime waifus as much as the next guy, but you are clearly either being intellectually dishonest or you are lying to yourself

Last edited:

Woodchipper

I think you are being hyper literal here. AFAIK he is talking about how western game characters arent feminine at all and look very masculine as time goes by. Even the mass effect andromeda girl would be considered too feminine these days for western games.
Not true either. The last game I finished, Miles Morales, had at least two girls I’d fuck. Phin and that deaf girl, whatever her name was. Probably more than those two as well. Western game, very recent, hot girls present.

Kdad

I'll give you homework, next time you are at a store or outside in general, look at every single woman you see, and write down how many of them are ones that look like the anime gurls on the right of your image, and also write down how many don't.

I love my anime waifus as much as the next guy, but you are clearly either being intellectually dishonest or you are lying to yourself
They say media is pushing ugly women into his games when thier whole concept of women seems to be formulated via media in the first place.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Can we pick the same age group or does it have to include 80+ year olds too?
Easy win otherwise.

Not true either. The last game I finished, Miles Morales, had at least two girls I’d fuck. Phin and that deaf girl, whatever her name was. Probably more than those two as well. Western game, very recent, hot girls present.

I disagree that she is more feminine than than the andromeda girl.

bitbydeath

They say media is pushing ugly women into his games when thier whole concept of women seems to be formulated via media in the first place.
No, I’m saying women more commonly look like those on the right (feminine) and not those on the left.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
If you like buttholes so much… then who’s the gay man here?
I wish bro; would be convenient.. have you seen how good the gays have it? They do like club nights where it's just guys in tighey whities and everyone just bones who they want.

Nothing gay about loving a nice butthole! Lots of gays actually aren't into that really.

But my wife's is irresistible.

Boglin

I'd bet you're right in that specific game/s didn't have attractive female characters removed that were previously there.

I interpreted what he said in the comment I quoted as, "those types of characters aren't present in new western releases".

If how you took his message is what he actually meant then I'd tend to agree with you. Although, Blizzard replacing a minor painting of a female in warcraft with a fruit bowl is inching to be more in line with that idea lol

Top Bottom