• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China's game art industry reportedly decimated by growing AI use

Felessan

But I do think it's funny that everytime someone brings up a ressource-based system (e.g. Jacque Fresco) - it's always labeled as utopia. I have a very hard time seeing any old systems work in an AI dominant future. Would be like installing Windows 3.1 on a new state of the art PC.
Systems will change, basics will remain the same. Your state of the art PC uses the same discrete binary system as old 8086.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
No shit... it's going to destroy a ton of art jobs when they can pump out shit like this within seconds:

Generic Mobile Dragon Game Promo Art
Wjyk5Ck.png

Generic Mobile Candy Crush Game Promo Art
mhlWY4J.png

Generic Steam Indie Cyberpunk Game Promo Art
8oqIsHn.png
And it's only the beginning. Within the next 5 years AI can compose complex music and movies. My prediction is AI will overthrow the entertainment business within 10 years.

Banned
"Art" generated by AI has no value, meaning or soul.

neither does most art generated by humans.
all the meaning and value human made art has is based on subjective feelings of the people that get exposed to it.

I could show you an AI made "painting" next to a human made one and you'd never know which is which, and you might even find the AI made one to evoke a bigger emotional response in you then the human made one.

in a world where people can accidentally drop something on the floor and get people in a museum to think what you dropped is one of the exhibits, how can anyone say AI art is in any way less meaningful than a lot of the pretentious shit made by artists?

Last edited:

NickFire

I'm not pretending to know the proper solution, but society needs to figure out how AI should be used / handled / treated quickly. The ability for business to embrace and compete matters. But if 1/2 or more of the world's jobs become automated the business concerns will seem like peanuts compared to the social unrest caused by mass poverty in population centers.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I'm sad to be a witness to this time. Hopefully there will be a back lash that takes care of this problem and gives some balance.

"Art" generated by AI has no value, meaning or soul.
All this "great" AI generated art will only be a hit for a short time. People will see it everywhere and it will simply not be worthy enough to have it hanging on your walls. Human art will thrive in the future - but there will be no money in making art, just pure passion and recognition - that goes for 99% of all jobs in the future as well.

Felessan

I could show you an AI made "painting" next to a human made one and you'd never know which is which, and you might even find the AI made one to evoke a bigger emotional response in you then the human made one.
Actually it's easier to make AI create a work that have emotional response, even a "specific, tailored, emotional response"
Specific emotional response was abused by marketing for years, and now they have convinient tool to push it even further.

simpatico

Every profession has been changed by technology. The scroll rollers weren't big fans of book binding machines I'm sure.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
AI generated music is already a thing, AIVA's been around since 2016.

ChatGPT can do it too if you ask nicely.

I know, but it's still not on a complex/human level. Soon it will be able to release hits upon hits, with singing and big orchestral symphonies.

Alex11

The fact that AI could replace those jobs means that in the first place their activities were not that important. Like how many artists draw similar art anyway?
Well we can't just say it like that, similar it's not as being the same, the AI art is after all derived from art already created, if let's say that there will be no more artists, all art will be AI made, well that art is eventually gonna reach a point that it will be the same, as there will be no more art made by artists, I mean, that has to have an impact IMO if indeed that will be the case.

The AI that makes art was invented, it didn't come from nothing and it didn't choose to make art and the art that it's making it is inspired and derived from existent art up until that point.

I think it's going the help artists very much and maybe there will be a little less need for them, but really don't think it will replace them entirely.

Fuz

Banned
there is no stopping singularity. it was always the destiny of humans to merge with machines ever since the first transistor was born into the world
Not sure where I read it (maybe Dawkins?), "Man landing on the moon was a fish's first jump out of the water to evolve into a mammal"* - some biologist theorized that the next step of evolution will be the end of humanity to be replaced by synthetic beings, capable of exploring the cosmos without humans' insurmountable limitations.

* going by memory, quote is probably very wrong.

AI generated music is already a thing, AIVA's been around since 2016.

AIVA has multiple full albums, one of which contains the Nvidia composition

The interesting thing about AIVA is while it generates the music itself after having been trained on many different recordings of the world's catalog of classical music, a human still is present at the final stage to perform arrangement. It's not completely AI generated with no human intervention, at least not yet.

Shut0wen

What does copyright laws have with creativity? All they do is protecting owner of title of creation for monetization. And monetization is not a single driving factor for creativity impulse.
Even in western world it's often other factors goes first. Let's look for example at Corps and it's employees.
Employees automaticaly cedes right to any invention done at workplace to it's employer, this means employee has little to no right for monetization for its invention. What he can get out of his invention is the same as in any rigid hierarchy - improvement of status and better benefits provided by employee. Same as it is in bureaucratic state systems.

PS. Humanity had no "intellectual property lasw" for most of its history. Didn't stop it from being creative.
You do realise that no copy right laws mean there is 0 effort in being innvoated when you can just plain and simply copy shit, look at apple phones, 1000s getting sold there that are fake as shit, china should be making amazing games, but theres literally none, even when western studios have opened up countless offices in shanghai im 100% positive not one game or a decent game has come out of there, even take two said it was a waste

_Ex_

AI is Industry 5.0. Learn to use AI to bolster and advance your job, or become obsolete and be replaced by those that do.

PSYGN

I am in complete shock and awe that China - a country known to innovate and not take shortcuts - would be the first to adopt this technology in such a way.

Last edited:

Shift!

This was inevitable, but the rising amount of controversy over what was supposed to be a divergent technology is insane.

sn0man

That's devastating. This article reads like a cyberpunk dystopia novel. What the fuck are we going to do?
Slow down though. Take like 5 steps back. If nobody is needed for work, then there is nobody to buy the products that are made. What will keep us around is our own literal dependence on each other being a part of society.

diffusionx

Gold Member
AI is Industry 5.0. Learn to use AI to bolster and advance your job, or become obsolete and be replaced by those that do.
today i used chat GPT to help me complete a task and honestly I feel like I could really use this to be more productive. I don't think I have any choice at this point so I might as well get used to it.

Bkdk

with aging population it's great that AI can at least take over some jobs. The jobs that will be most in need in the near future would be nursing, construction, some very high labor intensive trades work like plumbing, mining, fossil fuels. There will always be some of the smartest people work in tech leading the innovation and become super rich in it but the numbers of tech workers needed will likely stagnate or come down a little as AI automate some basic tech jobs.

Raven117

Gold Member
That's just "fully automated luxury communism" in action. Don't know why China are complaining.
Lol. Truth bombs.

That said, at least in my profession, the AI is often wrong. I’ve argued with it, and it can’t understand the complexity of what’s really going on. Ie, legal profession. Can it doc review? Sure. Some low level associates billing 1000 an hour are about to get wrecked. But when it comes to high level analysis, arguing a motion (or even providing how to argue a motion outline) it just can’t deliver an accurate product because law is taking irrational human behavior and funneling it into a logical construct.

Last edited:

Felessan

You do realise that no copy right laws mean there is 0 effort in being innvoated when you can just plain and simply copy shit, look at apple phones, 1000s getting sold there that are fake as shit, china should be making amazing games, but theres literally none, even when western studios have opened up countless offices in shanghai im 100% positive not one game or a decent game has come out of there, even take two said it was a waste
You are living in a bubble of delusions. Popular one though.
As I said before - humanity had no copyright laws 99% of its history - it didn't stop the progress.
On other hand you can take a glance at military tech - there is no copyright laws in military tech, countries just excuse themselves if it gives them military might, and there is no way to enforce. And still military tech often most advanced and sophisticated tech out there, many current inventions are conversion of military tech (the very Internet is former military tech).

You really don't understand invention drive of people. It's just a form of art and self-expression. Availability of ability to copy other products does not stop people to create new pieces of art. Same with inventions - the fact that you can use other inventions doesn't stop people (and it's people who invent) from trying to do better than others and invent something other didn't. And availability of other inventions at no cost actually promote invention drive because some idea synthesis techniques require inputs, the better inputs (ideas) one have, the better result will be.

We are on gaming forum. Games does not support copyright laws from players side - you can reuse other playstyle ideas for free, you not even need to put a mention - just steal and use it as your own idea. Still most games have "research crowd" (theorycrafters, speedrunners etc) where people put enormous amount of time to invent new ways to play game more efficiently. Their work will be stolen for sure, their credit will be fast forgotten, there is no money in this - but people still put a lot of time and efforts and their creativity to push playstyle forward. Some do it for self-esteem, some to be helpfull to community, some just like the process of researching - inventing something is much more complex phenomenon that just put everything on "copyright laws"

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Lol. Truth bombs.

That said, at least in my profession, the AI is often wrong. I’ve argued with it, and it can’t understand the complexity of what’s really going on. Ie, legal profession. Can it doc review? Sure. Some low level associates billing 1000 an hour are about to get wrecked. But when it comes to high level analysis, arguing a motion (or even providing how to argue a motion outline) it just can’t deliver an accurate product because law is taking irrational human behavior and funneling it into a logical construct.
Yup.

My finance profession is already automated to an extent. A lot of reports are generated daily for us. The rest we make ourselves and do stuff with it.

No amount of automation will replace judgement calls or detailed context that adjusts all the time. One month doing a big deal at 20% margin is green lit. The next month the same deal is not. Maybe the following month it will be again. All depends what the current situation is to determine the answer.

COVID years 2020 and 2021 were big influencers on financials too. Whatever history AI would take and try to recommend a number would be totally off base compared to 2022 and even more so 2023.

AI is best suited for things already established where it can churn out a solution fast, believable and based on a predictable history.

Art is something that is totally replaceable because at its heart is subjective content. One artist can make something. Some people love it. Some people hate it. AI can do the same. In the OT thread just a few months ago people posted AI art based on Country Villains. Most looked pretty darn good. To me, I dont care if a human drew it, a PC drew it, or if someone shit that picture out of their Taco Bell exploding ass. If it looks cool, people will like it.

No different than people taking pics with cellphones. Original pic is meh. But edit it with some canned filters with the push of a button and it can look much better. Dont need to be a professional photographer to make some decent pics. Not every image has to be a Hollywood production with professionals using expensive gear.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
The coming AI revolution will be the first time in history that it’s the ‚creative classes‘, the knowledge workers, the bureaucrats and intellectuals who will be negatively impacted by technological progress, instead of the working class. Plumbers, construction workers, electricians, janitors, mechanics, carpenters, factory workers, oil rig operators and chimney sweeps won‘t be impacted nearly as much, at least not in the near to mid future.

This is a unique situation we‘ll find ourselves in, and I have no idea how our societies are gonna deal with it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The coming AI revolution will be the first time in history that it’s the ‚creative classes‘, the knowledge workers, the bureaucrats and intellectuals who will be negatively impacted by technological progress, instead of the working class. Plumbers, construction workers, electricians, janitors, mechanics, carpenters, factory workers, oil rig operators and chimney sweeps won‘t be impacted nearly as much, at least not in the near to mid future.

This is a unique situation we‘ll find ourselves in, and I have no idea how our societies are gonna deal with it.
As more and more people get flushed out of jobs due to AI, what will really be important for someone trying to save their job (or get shifted to another role) is attitude.

Every company keeps people who do a good job, but who have the personality of an ant. Or can be a pissy ballbuster. They got no choice but to keep them. There's some guys on my floor who do IT/data jobs who everyone knows is pissy and comabtive. Also kind of lazy. Those kinds of guys you ask them for help to fix something and they either dont read the email and have to ask them 3 times. Or they take a month to do it. But they have a job because the only people on the floor who knows how to do it is them for the past 10 years.

Anyone in a situation of possible AI replacement better perk up their attitude. Because when the chopping block comes, the personable workers people like will likely have a better chance of a job transition to a different role or department vs. getting fired.

Felessan

Current level of AI is a dog at best. 2000 years old dog, but still a dog.

Intellectuals will be fine. Bureaucrats too.
Current level of AI is incapable intelligent decision making, planning and research - so all people involved in this are safe for the time being.

Currently, afaik, there is no building block for AI for analyzing future (i.e. possible routes, possible outcomes, path dependency and it's impact on future etc), only for analyzing past. It's a great difference to human intelligence.

Last edited:

krumble

Is this why the character styles and re-design of beloved characters in street fighter 6 look like weird freaky gen-x freaks? Did Capcom just throw some prompts into midjourney and go with that? Would explain a lot

Raven117

Gold Member
Yup.

My finance profession is already automated to an extent. A lot of reports are generated daily for us. The rest we make ourselves and do stuff with it.

No amount of automation will replace judgement calls or detailed context that adjusts all the time. One month doing a big deal at 20% margin is green lit. The next month the same deal is not. Maybe the following month it will be again. All depends what the current situation is to determine the answer.

COVID years 2020 and 2021 were big influencers on financials too. Whatever history AI would take and try to recommend a number would be totally off base compared to 2022 and even more so 2023.

AI is best suited for things already established where it can churn out a solution fast, believable and based on a predictable history.

Art is something that is totally replaceable because at its heart is subjective content. One artist can make something. Some people love it. Some people hate it. AI can do the same. In the OT thread just a few months ago people posted AI art based on Country Villains. Most looked pretty darn good. To me, I dont care if a human drew it, a PC drew it, or if someone shit that picture out of their Taco Bell exploding ass. If it looks cool, people will like it.

No different than people taking pics with cellphones. Original pic is meh. But edit it with some canned filters with the push of a button and it can look much better. Dont need to be a professional photographer to make some decent pics. Not every image has to be a Hollywood production with professionals using expensive gear.
Yup. It just can’t take into account the irrationality of some considerations. You nailed it…. So far…. It has not shown it has true judgment. That’s your real “knowledge” base.

hyperbertha

Yup.

This is laughable misinformed. The ai that only worked with predictive models based on past history is a thing of the past. Reasoning and adaptation is coming.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This is laughable misinformed. The ai that only worked with predictive models based on past history is a thing of the past. Reasoning and adaptation is coming.
I doubt it.

Judgement calls are made all the time regardless of what historical data says. It changes all the time even with the exact same internal data. External factors heavily influence the decision which would have zero track record for AI to even go on.

For example if our company wanted to play hardball with pricing to a retailer, the final price we pitch depends on things that arent even tracked. There's a big difference what we'd pitch if the buyer at Walmart head office is new or a 10 year veteran, or what their temperaments are. And the price they accept also depend on what their situation is which also changes, and we wouldnt know it either.

Last edited:

Felessan

Show me white paper for AI NN block for it, as I know none.
If there is none now, it means at the very best scenarios it will be 5 years away, but more likely 10 to 20 years, as idea adaptation from inception in the scientific space to the actual and popular product is one hell of the road.
(70-80% base structures used in most advanced AIs based on research dated back to 80s, just FYI)

Last edited:

Felessan

I recently read a whitepaper of midjourney level of AI NN, same purpose - image generation - it has complexity of a worm.
It has an "eye" (autoencoder that compress incoming requests to a "meaning" objects), it has a simple brain (forward pass through vanilla NN) and it has a hand (converting resulting "meaning" objects, understandable only by machine, back to image).
There are some small features/tricks to improve performance, but still for the Nature level it's very simple.

Last edited:

Basically people who went into trades will win and those who went to college are screwed.

Vaelka

Dude, artists ARE working class.
Artists are usually quite poor...

There's like a handful of examples of artists who made it big on Patreon or whatever, but 99% of artists are not part of the elite and they also work way too many hours for what they're paid.
They're overworked and underpaid, and now had their work stolen so that tech bros can try to replace them.

BlackTron

Outlaw its use then. It’s built off of mass analysis of copyrighted material.
Are we going to ban all games in the U.S. that were made in China using a prohibited AI tool?

Unless you think China will ban something because it infringes copyright...LOL

Edit: even if we did ban it here for our own use, as others have pointed out other countries with more lax laws would pick up on it. Studios would outsource work, and have no way of knowing for sure how the art was created. Though the price would be a major hint, why would you try and discover this hidden secret in another country to prove you're violating a ban.

Last edited:

nkarafo

So far AI art looks generic to me. It lacks the personality of a good artist.

But whatever, i guess that's going to be fixed soon as well.

Top Bottom