• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China's YouTube Bilibili Reveals New Banned Games List & Bans GTA

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Bilibili is the biggest video sharing and streaming platform in China, similar to YouTube and Twitch. The platform focuses on anime, comics, and games related content. Some of the most popular videos are 3D character dancing videos made with Miku Miku Dance, a program that lets you import 3D models and make up choreographies for them.

The list, which contains over 70 games, was translated from Chinese to Japanese by our peers at 4Gamer. Which allowed us to read it. Among the banned games there’s most notably:

FPS games, and games with a focus on firearms, such as all of the GTA series, all of the Battlefield series, and Rainbow Six Siege.

Then, the list also includes games with horror elements or high depictions of blood. Such as Resident Evil games, Dead by Daylight, and even indie games like Visage.
https://www.dualshockers.com/heres-...ium=standalone_content_recirculation_with_ads
Then, various games from different genres were banned. Such as the Taiwanese game Detention, Plague Inc, World of Tanks, and The Witcher 3.

Lately, the list also mentions that “All Galge without an “all-ages” rating has been banned”. Galge are more often than not visual novels with a male main character tying to woo female characters. Most of these games are eroge: games only released on PC that include explicit scenes, the so-called “H-scenes”.

However, many of these Galge feature darker story elements in general. So most are still rated 18+ even when they don’t include H-scenes, such as the Tsukihime Remake or the Nasuverse in general. As such, banning all Galge games except those that are rated for “all-ages” is pretty much the same as banning a good chunk of the visual novel genre.

Interestingly, there might be a loophole here as the banned list specifically mentions “Galge”. This technically means Otome games or BL games like Togainu no Chi would be fine.

Kev Kev

epic-flag.gif

Oh boy, I can't wait for the inevitable Chinese knockoff GTA with blatant copyright-infringing anime characters in it now that they banned the original.

ManaByte

Lately, the list also mentions that “All Galge without an “all-ages” rating has been banned”. Galge are more often than not visual novels with a male main character tying to woo female characters. Most of these games are eroge: games only released on PC that include explicit scenes, the so-called “H-scenes”.
So much for the Sakura series.

Excess

I winder why, GTA5 does not exactly paint the best picture of the united states.
You could argue that it also romanticizes it like a lot crime movies, ie. Scarface, Blow, Goodfellas, Boyz 'n the Hood, etc. This sort of content is antithetical to communism because it wouldn't exist without capitalism (or so they falsely claim).

a british game making fun of the USA.

yeah that ain't gonna fly in China. wonder what took them so long though...

Last edited:

Aranea

At the current pace the only games they will be able to play are harvesting type of games. I feel bad for the people in there having to deal with all of those restrictions. Having a console is basically useless in there.

wipeout364

Don't. They're really happy with their government.
The Chinese people living in China have the highest satisfaction with their government of any country in the world except North Korea. You can read about it in any official Chinese newspaper or broadcast. If they keep at it Xi one day may even become more popular than Kim Jong-un among his people.

NahaNago

I feel bad for the regular citizens of America. Their government is fucking insane.
Nah, were good. Had me pondering for a bit and realized most of the insanity is just media. What you have to watch out for is being cancelled and having that effect your life but I'm guessing that would also happen in China to a certain extent. But I'm thinking this is starting to get political so I'm out and it's time for bed.

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I'm so sorry you have to deal with the CCP, China. Best of luck with it as the future comes along. I know it's probably like every other countey: a sea of normal people trying to get by, led by sociopathic maniacs who spend all night thinking about getting more rather than sleeping. 🙃

Top Bottom