• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christianity [OT] The Word became flesh and dwelt among us

VN1X

Banned
But VN1X VN1X just threw down the gauntlet when he posted a video challenging the Islamic position lol. This thread is supposed to be about Christianity. When dogma wars start breaking out then so are the bans. Just saying of course.
Ah it only comes from a place of understanding and learning tbh. It's not as if Islam is something that's foreign to the west and something Christians have to deal with. It's important to know the differences and the beliefs of other people.

That said I'm not well versed in either position yet so I'm still on my journey of learning myself so you won't find me 'throwing down the gauntlet' lol. And please lets keep things civil here? Why even bring up bans in the first place. :/

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I think it is pretty easy to see Christianity has many different sects with very different perspectives. Traditions of apostolic succession differ greatly from protestant strains, yet each also have their own divisions and debates among themselves other over what the correct view is and what one must do or not do in order to be considered believing God and properly obeying him to satisfactory level. I think it is nearly impossible to really claim that which position is correct is easy to discern and prove to others.

Rather, there is a great cloud of best guesses and each person is choosing that which is most convincing to them. However, if one is merely inferring ultimate truth and selecting for themselves what seems most reasonable, effectively making themselves their own authority on ultimate truth, this is actively contradicting the very nature of a religion based on divine revelation. The whole point of the revelation is to clarify truth in a manner that supersedes all our confusion and guessing, to keep authority in God. The testimony and evidences for the gospel are touted strongly, yet what to do about the gospel to be a real Christian has become matters of deep contention in every single facet.

So here we run into the primary twofold problem that Christianity faces. First, if God went to such incomprehensibly great lengths to cross the chasm between us and him, becoming human, dying for our sins, granting the Holy Spirit, preserving the evidences of the passion of Christ, authoritatively establishing the Church through many miracles done by his apostles and such, then why have things now reached a place where it seems everyone is left clueless and guessing? If the love of God does not change, why does it seem that his level of effort to clarify and guide the Church in unity has?

Second, regardless of how you answer that, it would seem by the fact Christians are so confused and divided and best-guessing their way through it all, he doesn't seem to much care if they are actually able to figure out the correct way to believe and be Christian. It is either less defined than anyone thinks, or failure is simply met with so much mercy that the defined path is left unclear because he covers for it. However, this would seem to contradict the message of the bible, wherein a message of strictness seems pretty evident among his apostles. So, similar to the first part, if God in the bible seems to care so much about his standards for Christians, why does he seem so ineffectual to get the message through to them?

For both of these, even disregarding the presence or absence of miraculous intervening efforts on his part, it would seem that he has made everything involved, made humans to be and think and function as they do, made language as a primary means of learning, divinely inspired the specific message intended to effect learning among the creatures he designed to receive that lingual message, and granted believers his Holy Spirit to convict, guide, and inspire them concerning the correct interpretation. All of this does not seem to be a recipe for failure, yet here the religion stands terribly divided and confused among itself as to what the true form of it is, which is not a result expected from a religion of revelation, much less one of internal divine enlightenment of the revelation (example Luke 24:45).

What are your thoughts on these quandaries? If God still loves the world, why are we here?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I would never assume to know God's plan. But my understanding is that this is a time of grace with God and that it wont remain that way. Things are to get much, much worse, before they get better.
Okay but if such is the case, do you think said absence of clarity for Christians will end and some sort of authoritative verification will establish itself? Granted, capacity for doubt is infinite, so you will never remove all possibility of alternative, but as I described you have the issue of all well-intentioned followers unable to prove their case of chosen best-guess rubbing against supposed revelation even after decades of personal education and study trying to find the “true” Christianity.

-Minsc-

But VN1X VN1X just threw down the gauntlet when he posted a video challenging the Islamic position lol. This thread is supposed to be about Christianity. When dogma wars start breaking out then so are the bans. Just saying of course.
I typically gloss over the majority of the posted videos, for better or for worse. If I sense they are trying to prove Christianity or tear down another view then I'll use a rule of thumb and consider it not worth my time.

King Dazzar

Okay but if such is the case, do you think said absence of clarity for Christians will end and some sort of authoritative verification will establish itself? Granted, capacity for doubt is infinite, so you will never remove all possibility of alternative, but as I described you have the issue of all well-intentioned followers unable to prove their case of chosen best-guess rubbing against supposed revelation even after decades of personal education and study trying to find the “true” Christianity.
For me that's all about getting lost in the detail which isn't a priority for me. As my granddad used to say, there should be less Catholics and Protestants and more Christians. With the limited, but generally good interactions I've had with the different churches. People may choose to focus on one aspect of Christ more than another, but I've found there's common ground for all. And not everyone is pushing there own personal interpretation of things or struggling to find clarification. I've usually found the opposite. Maybe I've just been lucky. There certainly has been a couple of times when I've wondered about something a church may be saying or why they think about something in a particular way. And I've enjoyed exploring it. But in general its not been an issue or a need for me to agonise over.

My spiritual journey has been very much focused on allowing God to show me the way and communing with Christ and God. I definitely hit challenging moments of thought along the way or bits which I seek more wisdom on. And whilst at times it can be great to get other peoples perspective and insight and explore what a church may have to say. My relationship with God, Christ and the Bible has been enough to give me the clarity I need as I progress.

Chaplain

New Resources:

Video: How Can I Be Happier? - Part 1 - Simon Edwards

In the relentless chase for happiness, are we missing the profound truth that fulfillment lies beyond the material wealth? Delve into the elusive nature of contentment in our modern world and discover timeless biblical wisdom that provides insights and solutions.

Video: How Can I Be Happier? - Part 2 - Simon Edwards
We all want to be happy. Studies show that there is a direct link between happiness and a feeling of meaning or purpose. In part two of this talk, Simon explores how according to the Bible, the secret to happiness, meaning and purpose is scandalously simple.

Video: Is it justified to be afraid of dying? - John Wyatt OBQs 13/10/23

Video: C.S. Lewis on Progress, AI, and Gender - with Annie Crawford
I had a great discussion with Annie Crawford. She’s written two wonderful articles for the Symbolic World Blog and is offering a course on C.S. Lewis’ Ransom Trilogy on the Symbolic World website. Check out our discussion about C.S. Lewis, AI, progress, gender, laughter, science, and the mystical.

Video: Understanding Islam: The Life and Work of Muhammad - Peter Saunders interviews Jay Smith
Muslim tradition teaches that Muhammad was born in Mecca, and then moved to Medina (both in central Arabia) in 622 A.D., and that during this period he received the Qur’an and became the paradigm for the Islamic religion practiced today. But what do other historical sources reveal? This webinar will evaluate the historical record of Muhammad using evidence from the 7th century and before and comparing it with traditional teaching.

Video: Molly Worthen: The conversion of an agnostic professor of religion to Christianity
Molly Worthen is a journalist and associate professor of history at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. For the past decade she has pursued a career researching the religious and intellectual history of North America. As well as writing books such as 'Apostles of Reason: The Crisis of Authority in American Evangelicalism', she is regular contributor to publications such as the New York Times, The Atlantic and The New Yorker.

Chaplain

New Resources:

Video: Weird and Weirder — Why the West is So Different
“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,” says the Declaration of Independence. But is it really self-evident? What is the basis of equality? How have we come to think the way we do about the world? Glen Scrivener and Andrew Wilson discuss the making of the Western Mind and discuss how we became WEIRD (Western, Educated, Industrialized, Rich, Democratic) as they trace the history of the West up to 1776. They make the case that far from being neutral, or self-evident, the values which many hold dear in the West today can be traced back through figures like Luther, Augustine, Paul, and ultimately to Jesus. They show that in spite of its secular pretensions the West remains a place thoroughly shaped and marked by a Christian worldview. So are we really post-Christian? Or is Christianity the only framework that can really make sense of the things we value most?

Video: Why I believe in God: John Lennox interviewed by Dr. Amy Orr-Ewing
In a Premier Unbelievable special, celebrating his 80th birthday, the indomitable Christian apologist, Emeritus Professor of Mathematics at the University of Oxford, and renowned ethicist, Dr. John Lennox, engages in a candid and unreserved interview with fellow Christian apologist and Oxford-educated theologian, Dr. Amy Orr-Ewing. A long-standing friend of Unbelievable, John delves into his life journey, from a childhood in Ireland, to studying Mathematics at University of Cambridge, speaking and defending his Christian faith from Russian to East Germany, and his electrifying debates with formidable atheists such as Richard Dawkins, Peter Atkins, Christopher Hitchens and Peter Singer. This illuminating discussion also delves into the AI and the future of humanity, the problem of evil and other profound questions that continue to captivate the minds of believers and sceptics alike.

Video: Why Would a Good God Allow Suffering? - Alanzo Paul
"Amidst life's adversity, can we find comfort in connection with God? ... Heartfelt questions deserve thoughtful answers. Join us as we explore issues of life, philosophy, meaning, and faith..."

Video: The Roots and Rise of Antisemitism - Revelation 12:1-12
Around the world and close to home, protesters are taking their rhetoric against the Jewish community to the streets. Violent language and calls to actions targeting Israel are no longer hidden but spoken aloud for all to hear. In this message, Skip Heitzig discusses the rise of antisemitism with Johnnie Moore and God's protection of His people from Bible times to present day.

Video: Disney at 100. Has it still got the power to enchant us?
This October marks Disney’s 100th birthday. Since Disney are in the ‘enchantment’ business, we're dedicating a special episode to discussing its cultural impact. Two guests join Belle and Justin. Yaroslav Sky-Walker is the assistant Priest of Holy Trinity Church, Sloane Square In his spare time, Yaroslav reads theology and writes slightly histrionic film reviews… many of which you can find on Seen and Unseen. Esmé Partridge is a writer and MPhil candidate in the Philosophy of Religion at the University of Cambridge. She also works at the intersection of religion and politics, focusing on religious freedom and interfaith relations.

Chaplain

New resources:

Do Science and Faith Mix? - John Lennox
“They mix very well” is the opinion of physicist and Christian John Lennox. In this video, John explores the history, limits, and nature of science, and argues that faith in God is perfectly compatible with scientific inquiry. Atheism and science, however, may not sit together so comfortably.

What About Other Religions?
Is Christianity exclusive, or is there room for other religions in a Christian view of God? Sara Stevenson explores concepts such as pluralism, exclusivity and the unique role of Jesus as she questions whether Christianity offers an exclusive path to truth.

How Can Anyone Believe in a Dead Man Rising?
Is the resurrection of Jesus merely wishful thinking? Simon Edwards questions the evidence for an event that stands as a lynchpin to Christianity and explores whether any alternative explanations can withstand scrutiny. Is the resurrection of Jesus a matter of faith or fact?

Why Trust the Bible?
Issues of patriarchy, power and historical accuracy are just some of the objections to the Bible’s trustworthiness. Making the case for the Bible’s textual integrity by analysing the evidence, Clare Williams shares how its story is ultimately about one central figure – Jesus who came to save.

Is the Bible Good News for Women?
Christianity claims to be good news, but is this the case for women? Lara Buchanan opens up the Bible to see how the Christian story offers a message of equality and empowerment.

Why Would A Good God Allow Suffering?
No matter who we are or what we believe, the reality of suffering is something we all have to deal with. Delving into theological and philosophical perspectives on this complex issue, Alanzo Paul explores this topic from the logical problem of evil, to the deep significance of Christ’s suffering and resurrection.

Jesus and the Failures of the Church
From scandals and injustices to remarkable contributions, Sam Allberry explores the complex tapestry of church history.

Alistair Begg - The Role of the Holy Spirit
In this episode, Jonny Ardavanis sits down with Alistair Begg, the founder of the Truth For Life and discuses the role of the Holy Spirit

Edited

Last edited:

Chaplain

New Resources:

Video: Q&A on John Lennox's Latest Book - A Good Return
In this Q&A, John Lennox discusses his book "A Good Return," addressing the secular-sacred divide in work. He emphasizes the importance of all professions from a Christian perspective, advocates for integrity, encourages critical thinking, and explains what "witnessing" looks like in the workplace.

Video: Glen Scrivener: Why Christianity made us believe in Kindness, Equality & Progress
Glen Scrivener is an author, speaker, filmmaker and director of the charity Speak Life. His most recent book ’The Air We Breathe’ has been widely praised as a guide to ‘how we all came to believe in freedom, kindness, progress and equality’.Glen’s book is a whistle stop tour of 2,000 years of history showing why it was the Christian revolution that gave the West its moral instincts on compassion, equality, consent, freedom and progress.

Video: What is God Like?
Dr. Craig kicks off a new animation series examining the attributes of God. What is God really like? What attributes does he have? Why are they important for us to know?

Video: John Lennox Unlocks the Truth about AI, Consciousness, and God (Must-See Insights!)
In this Practical Wisdom special, renowned apologist and Oxford mathematician John Lennox reveals the truth about Artificial Intelligence (AI), consciousness, and our understanding of God. What is the truth about AI and its implications on our understanding of consciousness and the divine? Join us for this thought-provoking conversation! Discover the latest advancements in AI and how they intersect with our beliefs and perceptions of the world. John Lennox sheds light on the ethical, philosophical, and existential questions arising from this technological revolution and explores new perspectives on AI's role in our lives, the nature of consciousness, and the profound connection to spirituality and God.

Video: A Conversation About God | Dr. John Lennox | EP 394
Dr. Jordan B Peterson sits down with mathematician, author, and theologian Dr. John Lennox. They discuss the axioms and dangerous aims of transhumanism, the interplay between ethical faith, reason, and the empirical world that makes up the scientific endeavor, and the line between luciferian intellectual presumption and wise courageous exploration.
(0:00) Coming up
(0:33) Intro
(1:19) The “unbridgeable gap” between science and Christianity
(5:46) Is the human soul a microcosm of the cosmos?
(10:01) Evidence of a Creator, a “word-based universe”
(15:01) Truth exists
(18:03) Statistical analysis, the ethical dimension of science
(23:41) Prioritization of facts is done through ethics
(26:18) Thought and time: from where does the revelation spring?
(33:23) Transhumanism: an extension of demented protestantism
(37:18) The death of God, the death of man
(43:28) The weight of being, the problem of physical death
(46:37) You cannot breed for evolutionary fitness
(50:24) Third Wave Biology, Questioning Darwin
(52:59) The wisdom not to cross the line
(59:27) Knowing good and evil vs. defining it as subjective
(1:02:04) The three sources of moral knowledge
(1:04:03) The basis for human dignity
(1:09:48) Sacrifice and maturity
(1:15:17) The female crucifixion
(1:18:18) Death is not the end
(1:19:51) Voluntary exposure to build strength
(1:24:34) Lazarus, leaving the darkness

Last edited:

Liljagare

I still cannot believe in a God that tells me to kill the enemies of my faith, or the children of my enemies, or the firstborns of my enemies, which unfortunately includes the faith of Jesus and Christianity. :\

Chaplain

I still cannot believe in a God that tells me to kill the enemies of my faith, or the children of my enemies, or the firstborns of my enemies, which unfortunately includes the faith of Jesus and Christianity. :\

Jesus never taught anyone to kill in His name.

"I am utterly ashamed that the name of Christ has ever been associated with an AK-47 or a terrorist bomb. Those who pick up weapons to defend Christianity are not following Christ, they are DISOBEYING Him... One of the central historical features of the New Testament is the trial of Jesus. It is crucially important, and I discussed this with the late Christopher Hitchens. I said: Christopher, I agree with you. This is the unacceptable face of religion. But don’t you realize that it’s the charge of fomenting political violence that put Jesus on trial in the first place? He was accused of terrorism, to put it in modern language. ... When Pilate investigated him, he knew, of course, that Jesus had not resisted arrest. When Simon Peter took a sword to swipe the head off the high priest’s servant, he wasn’t very good and he cut his ear off. Now, if I might say something about that: I believe Jesus put the ear back on, but you would be very poetically dim not to see what’s being said. If you take up weapons to defend Christ or his message, you cut the ears off of people in a big way." (Oxford Professor John Lennox)

Liljagare

Jesus never taught anyone to kill in His name.

Christianity as a religion itself says to kill a whole lot of people, how do you build peace on earth with this, I for one, cannot stand behind any of this.

2 Chronicles 15:12-13 ESV
And they entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and with all their soul, but that whoever would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, should be put to death, whether young or old, man or woman.

Luke 19:27 ESV
But as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slaughter them before me.’”

Deuteronomy 17:1-20 ESV
“You shall not sacrifice to the Lord your God an ox or a sheep in which is a blemish, any defect whatever, for that is an abomination to the Lord your God. “If there is found among you, within any of your towns that the Lord your God is giving you, a man or woman who does what is evil in the sight of the Lord your God, in transgressing his covenant, and has gone and served other gods and worshiped them, or the sun or the moon or any of the host of heaven, which I have forbidden, and it is told you and you hear of it, then you shall inquire diligently, and if it is true and certain that such an abomination has been done in Israel, then you shall bring out to your gates that man or woman who has done this evil thing, and you shall stone that man or woman to death with stones

Leviticus 20:10 ESV
“If a man commits adultery with the wife of his neighbor, both the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.

Exodus 22:19 ESV
“Whoever lies with an animal shall be put to death.

Leviticus 20:27 ESV
“A man or a woman who is a medium or a necromancer shall surely be put to death. They shall be stoned with stones; their blood shall be upon them.”

Leviticus 21:9 ESV
And the daughter of any priest, if she profanes herself by whoring, profanes her father; she shall be burned with fire.

Deuteronomy 17:12 ESV
The man who acts presumptuously by not obeying the priest who stands to minister there before the Lord your God, or the judge, that man shall die. So you shall purge the evil from Israel.

Deuteronomy 13:13-18 ESV
That certain worthless fellows have gone out among you and have drawn away the inhabitants of their city, saying, ‘Let us go and serve other gods,’ which you have not known, then you shall inquire and make search and ask diligently. And behold, if it be true and certain that such an abomination has been done among you, you shall surely put the inhabitants of that city to the sword, devoting it to destruction, all who are in it and its cattle, with the edge of the sword. You shall gather all its spoil into the midst of its open square and burn the city and all its spoil with fire, as a whole burnt offering to the Lord your God. It shall be a heap forever. It shall not be built again.

Deuteronomy 13:7-12 ESV
Some of the gods of the peoples who are around you, whether near you or far off from you, from the one end of the earth to the other, you shall not yield to him or listen to him, nor shall your eye pity him, nor shall you spare him, nor shall you conceal him. But you shall kill him. Your hand shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterward the hand of all the people. You shall stone him to death with stones, because he sought to draw you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. And all Israel shall hear and fear and never again do any such wickedness as this among you.

Deuteronomy 17:2-5 ESV
“If there is found among you, within any of your towns that the Lord your God is giving you, a man or woman who does what is evil in the sight of the Lord your God, in transgressing his covenant, and has gone and served other gods and worshiped them, or the sun or the moon or any of the host of heaven, which I have forbidden, and it is told you and you hear of it, then you shall inquire diligently, and if it is true and certain that such an abomination has been done in Israel, then you shall bring out to your gates that man or woman who has done this evil thing, and you shall stone that man or woman to death with stones.

John 3:18 ESV
Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

1 Samuel 15:2-3 ESV
Thus says the Lord of hosts, ‘I have noted what Amalek did to Israel in opposing them on the way when they came up out of Egypt. Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’”

2 Chronicles 15:13 ESV
But that whoever would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, should be put to death, whether young or old, man or woman.

Ezekiel 35:7-9 ESV
I will make Mount Seir a waste and a desolation, and I will cut off from it all who come and go. And I will fill its mountains with the slain. On your hills and in your valleys and in all your ravines those slain with the sword shall fall. I will make you a perpetual desolation, and your cities shall not be inhabited. Then you will know that I am the Lord.

“If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives.” (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense. (Leviticus 20:9 NLT)

They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)

But if this charge is true (that she wasn’t a virgin on her wedding night), and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father’s house. Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst. (Deuteronomy 22:20-21 NAB)

If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst. (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)

Suppose a man or woman among you, in one of your towns that the LORD your God is giving you, has done evil in the sight of the LORD your God and has violated the covenant by serving other gods or by worshiping the sun, the moon, or any of the forces of heaven, which I have strictly forbidden. When you hear about it, investigate the matter thoroughly. If it is true that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, then that man or woman must be taken to the gates of the town and stoned to death. (Deuteronomy 17:2-5 NLT)

One day a man who had an Israelite mother and an Egyptian father got into a fight with one of the Israelite men. During the fight, this son of an Israelite woman blasphemed the LORD’s name. So the man was brought to Moses for judgment. His mother’s name was Shelomith. She was the daughter of Dibri of the tribe of Dan. They put the man in custody until the LORD’s will in the matter should become clear. Then the LORD said to Moses, “Take the blasphemer outside the camp, and tell all those who heard him to lay their hands on his head. Then let the entire community stone him to death. Say to the people of Israel: Those who blaspheme God will suffer the consequences of their guilt and be punished. Anyone who blasphemes the LORD’s name must be stoned to death by the whole community of Israel. Any Israelite or foreigner among you who blasphemes the LORD’s name will surely die. (Leviticus 24:10-16 NLT)

For the LORD had said to Moses, ‘Exempt the tribe of Levi from the census; do not include them when you count the rest of the Israelites. You must put the Levites in charge of the Tabernacle of the Covenant, along with its furnishings and equipment. They must carry the Tabernacle and its equipment as you travel, and they must care for it and camp around it. Whenever the Tabernacle is moved, the Levites will take it down and set it up again. Anyone else who goes too near the Tabernacle will be executed.’ (Numbers 1:48-51 NLT)

“Then I heard the LORD say to the other men, “Follow him through the city and kill everyone whose forehead is not marked. Show no mercy; have no pity! Kill them all – old and young, girls and women and little children. But do not touch anyone with the mark. Begin your task right here at the Temple.” So they began by killing the seventy leaders. “Defile the Temple!” the LORD commanded. “Fill its courtyards with the bodies of those you kill! Go!” So they went throughout the city and did as they were told.” (Ezekiel 9:5-7 NLT)

“You are my battle-ax and sword,” says the LORD. “With you I will shatter nations and destroy many kingdoms. With you I will shatter armies, destroying the horse and rider, the chariot and charioteer. With you I will shatter men and women, old people and children, young men and maidens. With you I will shatter shepherds and flocks, farmers and oxen, captains and rulers. “As you watch, I will repay Babylon and the people of Babylonia for all the wrong they have done to my people in Jerusalem,” says the LORD. “Look, O mighty mountain, destroyer of the earth! I am your enemy,” says the LORD. “I will raise my fist against you, to roll you down from the heights. When I am finished, you will be nothing but a heap of rubble. You will be desolate forever. Even your stones will never again be used for building. You will be completely wiped out,” says the LORD. (Jeremiah 51:20-26)

This is what the Lord of hosts has to say: ‘I will punish what Amalek did to Israel when he barred his way as he was coming up from Egypt. Go, now, attack Amalek, and deal with him and all that he has under the ban. Do not spare him, but kill men and women, children and infants, oxen and sheep, camels and asses.’ (1 Samuel 15:2-3 NAB)

This all is for peace between us all, right? No wonder why the world is as it is. Love begets love, most religions are about hatred and will spawn nothing but.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

2 Chronicles 15:13 ESV
But that whoever would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, should be put to death, whether young or old, man or woman.
I'm not going to spend my time going through every quotation. But you seemed quite focused on the one I've quoted from you. For me its all about context. My understanding is that this was after many had lost there way from God and wanted to return to God. As part of returning to God's good Grace. They all made a public oath together with a personal covenant with God. To seal with God how serious and dedicated to him they were, they were willing to themselves, be put to death should they break it. For me it was about proving/reassuring God that they wouldn't go astray and forsake him.

Without that context you could easily read those words in a number of ways, whilst missing the real intent. This doesnt mean they were going to go on a rampage throughout the world killing everyone who didn't believe, for example.

I hope you manage to spend an equal time on many of the good readings with a balanced open mind too.

Last edited:
New to this thread and it’s interesting to read people’s perspectives.

When Jesus was asked what the most important command was, He said to love God with all your heart and to love your neighbour as yourself - meaning treat everyone as well as you treat yourself.

We are also told to judge nobody, feed the hungry, help the poor and the widows - help marginalized people.

Is this not what Christianity is? Following Jesus?

Chaplain

Video: Is religion good or bad for society? Ben Shapiro vs Alex O'Connor (12/1/23)
The Big Conversation is a unique video series from Unbelievable? the flagship apologetics and theology discussion show from Premierunbelievable.com In this bonus episode of The Big Conversation' formidable Daily Wire host and renowned political thinker Ben Shapiro goes head-to-head with Oxford graduate of philosophy and theology, now international public speaker and debater, Alex O’Connor. Hosted by Andy Kind, Shapiro and O'Connor debate Is religion good or bad for society? What is the concept of free will? Does it even exist? What about the idea of the self, and the foundations of morality in society, and do we all have to agree on them?

Ben Shapiro is a distinguished figure in the realm of political discussion, recognised for his bold opinions and remarkable debating skills. Ever-innovative in thought and influential in culture, Shapiro brings a fresh and compelling perspective to this philosophical conversation.

Atheist Alex O’Connor, the YouTuber formerly known as the Cosmic Sceptic, and host of the Within Reason podcast brings thoughtful philosophical rigour and insight to provoke deliberation on varying timeless faith-science-philosophy topics. Religion’s effects in the evolution of consciousness, Nihilism’s counter to the concept of free will and, ultimately, the basis of varying worldviews serve as crucial discussion points in this thought-provoking exchange.

Chaplain

Video: Christmas Through the Ages - Romans 1:1-4; Galatians 4:4-5 - Skip Heitzig
"Christmas, alongside Easter, is a principal celebration in Christianity, commemorating the birth of Jesus Christ. This event, known as the incarnation, is seen as God manifesting in human form through Jesus (Philippians 2:5-7). Pastor Skip explores the origins and purpose of Christmas, referencing biblical passages like Romans 1:1-4 and Galatians 4:4-5. He points out that Christmas's roots trace back to Genesis 1-3, where the Protoevangelium in Genesis 3:15 introduces the concept of a Messiah who will overcome evil, marking the beginning of the promise fulfilled in Jesus. The lineage from Adam to Jesus, as detailed in Genesis, demonstrates God's ongoing promise. The importance of Jesus' birth is highlighted by its timing - "the fullness of the time" (Galatians 4:4-5), symbolizing a period ripe for the Messiah's arrival. This period was characterized by Israel's spiritual longing under oppression, a unified Hellenistic culture thanks to Alexander the Great, and the expansive, peaceful Roman Empire that facilitated the spread of Jesus' teachings. Pastor Skip emphasizes that Jesus, pre-existing in heaven, came to earth to redeem humanity, contrasting this divine mission with secular representations like Santa Claus. He also encourages exploring the profound impact of Jesus’ birth on the world, including its influence on various aspects of society such as holidays, hospitals, and education. The teaching also includes practical aspects, urging believers to use Christmas as a time to reflect on and discuss the implications of Jesus' coming, particularly focusing on John 3:16. This reflection should encompass God's love, the transformative impact of Jesus' birth, and the spirit of giving epitomized by God sending His Son. Additionally, Pastor Skip suggests using the Christmas season for evangelism and outreach, highlighting its potential as a powerful tool for sharing the Christian faith."

Chaplain

Video: True Spiritual Awakening - Dr. John Lennox and Dr. James Tour on Scripture Meditation & God's Voice
"In their conversation, Dr. James Tour and Dr. John Lennox discuss various topics, focusing on the integration of Christian faith with academic and scientific pursuits. They explore the challenges and societal pressures faced due to their faith, particularly in academic settings. They emphasize the importance of daily scripture study and prayer in their lives, sharing personal experiences and the impact of these practices. The discussion also covers the transformative power of living authentically according to one's faith, the role of evangelism, and the significance of incorporating Christian beliefs in all life aspects, including family and work. This conversation provides insights into living a faith-filled life in a modern, scientific world." (1/12/24)

Chaplain

Video: 50 Years Studying the Resurrection: Magnum Opus by Gary Habermas
"The conversation between Dr. Sean McDowell and New Testament scholar Dr. Gary Habermas is a detailed and comprehensive discussion on the historical case for the resurrection of Jesus Christ. In their conversation, Dr. Gary Habermas, after 32,000+ hours studying the resurrection of Jesus, focuses on the minimal facts approach, which he considers the strongest evidence. This approach concentrates on a core set of facts about Jesus' life, crucifixion, and post-death appearances that are widely accepted by scholars, including skeptics. Habermas' latest 1,100-page volume, developed over 18 years, is an exhaustive analysis of every detail related to the resurrection, aiming to address both skeptics and believers. The discussion also touches on how resurrection scholarship has evolved in the past 50 years. Habermas notes a shift towards greater scholarly acceptance of certain facts about Jesus' life and resurrection claims, even among skeptical scholars. This change is partly due to a growing appreciation for historical methods and new archaeological findings, providing a more solid foundation for the historical case of the resurrection." (1/16/24)

Video: Hasn't the Church Done More Harm Than Good? - Clare Williams
"The charge that the church has done more harm than good is a moral objection. Even when Christians do good works, is it enough to redeem the church's reputation and chequered past? Clare Williams explores this difficult question and how Christians can respond sensitively." (1/16/24)

Chaplain

New Resource:

Video: Carl Trueman: Classical Theology and the Modern Mind
"Theologian Carl Trueman's lecture focuses on the relevance of classical theology in addressing modern challenges within Protestantism, particularly in the Reformed and Evangelical traditions. Trueman emphasizes the continuity of theological concepts from the early church through the Middle Ages to the Reformation, underscoring that modern Protestants cannot disregard foundational doctrines like those of Thomas Aquinas. He critiques the modern Protestant tendency towards ahistoricism and anti-creedalism, advocating for a re-engagement with historical theology to enrich contemporary Christian understanding and practice. Trueman delves into the pathologies of the modern mind, highlighting the antihistorical and anti-creedal tendencies that pervade both secular and Christian cultures. He argues for the importance of understanding the development of doctrine and the role of church history in shaping theological thought. Trueman presents classical theology as an antidote to these modern pathologies, suggesting that a deeper engagement with the theological formulations of the past can provide a more robust framework for addressing contemporary issues. He encourages a return to a contemplative engagement with theology, where the study of God and His nature is seen as an end in itself, rather than merely instrumental to other ends." (Jan 17, 2024)

Liljagare

I'm not going to spend my time going through every quotation. But you seemed quite focused on the one I've quoted from you. For me its all about context. My understanding is that this was after many had lost there way from God and wanted to return to God. As part of returning to God's good Grace. They all made a public oath together with a personal covenant with God. To seal with God how serious and dedicated to him they were, they were willing to themselves, be put to death should they break it. For me it was about proving/reassuring God that they wouldn't go astray and forsake him.

Without that context you could easily read those words in a number of ways, whilst missing the real intent. This doesnt mean they were going to go on a rampage throughout the world killing everyone who didn't believe, for example.

I hope you manage to spend an equal time on many of the good readings with a balanced open mind too.

Naturally, I love the Gospels of St Thomas. Probably the better part of what was skipped in our modern bibles.

But, christians and the organization sure doesn't like it.

“Blessed are those who have been persecuted in their heart.
They are the ones who have truly come to know the Father.”

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Naturally, I love the Gospels of St Thomas. Probably the better part of what was skipped in our modern bibles.

But, christians and the organization sure doesn't it.

“Blessed are those who have been persecuted in their heart.
They are the ones who have truly come to know the Father.”
Yeah, I've not got much more to add really unfortunately. I'm loving my relationship with God and Christ and just starting on Romans after enjoying Acts. But my journey is certainly not without its doubts and tests. The small amount of interaction I've had with my local church and those Christians has been very positive. I took my first holy communion on Christmas Eve, which I loved. So I'm still exploring the organised aspects of faith. But I know from exploring my baptism that communities can vary a lot... all I can do is wish you well on your journey.

Liljagare

Yeah, I've not got much more to add really unfortunately. I'm loving my relationship with God and Christ and just starting on Romans after enjoying Acts. But my journey is certainly not without its doubts and tests. The small amount of interaction I've had with my local church and those Christians has been very positive. I took my first holy communion on Christmas Eve, which I loved. So I'm still exploring the organised aspects of faith. But I know from exploring my baptism that communities can vary a lot... all I can do is wish you well on your journey.

It is usually when you start asking questions that you really see the true colours of groups.

Much luck and love on your journey!

Chaplain

New Resources:

Video: Thomist Predestination vs Calvinist Predestination Calvinism and Catholicism (w/ Redeemed Zoomer)
00:00 Introduction
03:00 Which ‘One True Church’ is the One True Church?
11:00 Is Eastern Orthodox the safer ‘One True Church’ option?
16:00 Discussion of the infallibility of the ‘One True Church’, Catholic vs. Protestant
18:00 How does the Catholic Church perceive Protestants?
24:00 Sola Fide / Faith Alone Salvation
29:00 The Calvinist ‘Elect’ and Salvation
34:00 Predestination and Salvation
41:00 Thomist Predestination vs Calvinist Predestination
53:00 Calvinist view on ‘The Fall’
57:00 Faith and Works
1:18:30 The Magisterium and it’s Teachings
1:23:00 Catholic Church on marrying a non-Christian
1:30:40 Veneration of the Saints

Video: DEBATE: Is the Doctrine of Purgatory True? (Horn vs. White)
00:00:00 - Introduction
00:03:08 – Horn Opening
00:18:05 – White Opening
00:33:12 – Horn First Rebuttal
00:40:23 – White First Rebuttal
00:47:37 – Horn Second Rebuttal
00:51:46 – White Second Rebuttal
00:56:23 – Cross-Examination
01:37:40 – Audience Q+A
01:59:30 – Horn Closing
02:04:19 – White Closing

Video: Margarita Mooney Clayton: The Wounds of Beauty
What does truth have to do with beauty, and what does beauty have to do with goodness? Princeton Theological Seminary’s Margarita Mooney Clayton and host Eric Metaxas sit down to discuss the meaning of beauty as defined by figures such as St. Augustine, Plato, and C.S. Lewis, and its great significance for a materialistic generation.

Video: Alister McGrath - C. S. Lewis: His Significance for Personal Faith and the Ministry of the Church
C. S. Lewis is widely regarded as one of the most important and accessible Christian writers of recent year. In this lecture, Professor Alister McGrath of Oxford University will speak on how Lewis can help us consolidate and develop our personal faith and resource the preaching and outreach of churches. How can Lewis encourage us and help us to grow in our faith, or even explain our faith to friends and family? How can Lewis help preachers and apologists communicate and commend Christianity? There is growing interest in Lewis as a resource for personal faith development and church outreach. In this lecture, Professor McGrath will explain why and point to ways in which Lewis can enrich the life of faith.

Video: John Lennox: Science DOESN'T Explain What You Think It Does (Brilliant Insights!)
0:00: John Lennox discusses the relationship between science and faith, addressing Dawkins' claim that science disproves God.
8:38: The misconception that God and science are alternatives in terms of explanation, and the difference between the two.
16:11: Lennox addresses the problem of meaning in our world, and the semantics of language which suggests there is a mind behind it.
24:30: Lennox challenges Stephen Hawking's statement that the universe can create itself from nothing, and questions the definition of 'nothing' by scientists.
32:33: Scientists are now questioning Neo-Darwinism and discuss the role of divine input in biological evolution.
41:06: The discussion covers topics such as the importance of evidence, Wittgenstein's philosophy, and the agenda of transhumanism.
48:54: Are miracles a violation of the natural law?
57:17: The changing questions of meaning and identity, and the potential consequences of bioengineering on human identity.
1:05:30: Are there other forms of intelligence in the universe?
1:20:53: Why is there suffering in the world and how do we face it, particularly in the context of the existence of a good and all-powerful God?
1:29:34: Is Christianity a unique religion and are other religions false?

Video: Marriage, Family, and Parenting - Paul Washer
0:00 - Introduction
6:26 - Are you putting ministry above your family?
18:13 - Be subject to one another?
27:20 - An area I have failed in.
28:46 - A husband needs his wife's respect.
1:09:28 - Now, as a Christian, how do I train my daughter?
1:20:52 - How do I discern if my child is truly saved?
1:27:46 - How do I prevent my child from being self-righteous?
1:33:14 - What about sinful aspects of my spouse's culture?
1:37:27 - What about parental authority?
1:44:56 - What about a husband who neglects his wife?
1:50:32 - How do you maintain joy in the home?

Video: Four Pillars of Walking with God - Paul Washer
Joy comes before obedience, rather than after. If you don't understand that, you will really be messed up all of your days. Joy is not the result of obedience, joy is the result of what God has done. So now your joy is fixed on a fixed and stable source. When your joy is based on your performance it is going to be up and down like the wind.

Video: Lauren Windle: Finding God as a recovering drug addict
Lauren Windle is a journalist, author, speaker and presenter who specialises in faith, recovery and love. She is the author of 'Notes on Love: being single and dating in a marriage-obsessed church' and the upcoming 'Notes on Feminism: Being a woman in a male-led church'. Justin and Belle chat with Lauren about her own story of addiction, recovery and faith, the intersection between Christianity and feminism from her perspective within the church, and the pervasive questions being asked by today’s culture.

Video: Islam and Christianity - Andy Bannister interviewed by Stefan Gustavsson
Do Muslims and Christians worship the same God? Has the Bible really been corrupted? How do we engage the gospel with Muslims? These are difficult questions, and so many of us struggle to effectively witness to the Muslim community. This talk seeks answers to these and more as we desire to be faithful followers of Christ in our words and to love our Muslim neighbors well.

Chaplain

New Resources:

Video: Rebecca McLaughlin - Is Easter Unbelievable?
"Rebecca McLaughlin (PhD, Cambridge University) recounts a conversation with her barista friend who identifies as an atheist. Her friend questions the idea of a resurrection and McLaughlin argues that Christianity is not based on blind faith but rather on historical evidence. McLaughlin outlines three main questions to consider regarding the Easter story: Is Jesus' life historical? Is Jesus' death ethical? Is Jesus' resurrection credible? McLaughlin argues that Jesus' life is well documented historically, even by non-Christian sources. She refers to scholar Bart Ehrman who acknowledges Jesus as a historical figure. McLaughlin also argues that the gospel accounts, while written decades after Jesus’ death, were based on eyewitness testimony. Next, McLaughlin addresses the question of whether Jesus’ death is ethical. She argues that Jesus’ death was not simply punishment for sin, but an act of unity between God and humanity. Finally, McLaughlin tackles the question of the resurrection’s credibility. She argues that the empty tomb and the early eyewitness testimonies are strong evidence for the resurrection."

Video: Malcolm Guite: Preparing Your Heart for Lent and Easter
With twinkling eyes, a wild beard, wit, and a profound understanding of the Gospel, acclaimed poet, songwriter and Cambridge Chaplain Malcolm Guite will help prepare our hearts and minds for the sacred season of Lent and Easter. Dr. Guite will point to ways to deepen our prayer life, come alongside others, face the pain of Christ’s suffering and know the joy of the resurrection! His approach to drawing near to Jesus through the Scriptures, poetry and music will move your heart and give your mind much to contemplate.

Video: Dr. Amy Orr-Ewing: Is Jesus the Only Way?
"Dr. Amy Orr-Ewing addresses one of the most important questions anyone can ask, “Is Jesus the Only Way?” In other words, is the Gospel of Jesus Christ the only way to enter into a relationship with the Creator of the world, find forgiveness of sins and receive the gift of eternal life? In today’s pluralistic world in which the idea that truth is relative and that there can be many ways to God, the proclamation of Jesus in John 14:6 can be seen as radical. There Jesus states, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” Join us for this presentation as Amy unpacks this important topic."

Video: Justin Brierley and Tom Holland: Are we witnessing a rebirth of belief in God?
"'Christianity is outdated. A cultural relic from a less enlightened time. Superstition for the masses – not the kind of thing intelligent people believe in nowadays.' That's the general message New Atheism put out into the world in the noughties. And for a while it felt like Dawkins and Hitchens and co might have had the last word. In Alastair Campbell's memorable phrase, it seemed as though the UK at large 'didn't do God' any more. And yet. Over the last few years, something's started to shift. Podcaster and author Justin Brierley has been hosting high-profile debates between Christians, atheists, and agnostics for nearly two decades, and in that time he's seen the conversation change. A new set of so-called secular thinkers are turning away from the materialist non-story of reality and reconsidering how the Christian story speaks to today’s meaning crisis. In this live episode, hosts Paul Woolley and Grace Fielding chat to Justin and Tom Holland, author of the bestselling book 'Dominion' and host of the hugely popular podcast 'The Rest is History'. Together, they explore why new atheism is growing old and the Christian view of reality is making a comeback."

Video: Jonathan Pageau: What atheists get wrong about the Bible, religion and Jordan Peterson
"Jonathan Pageau is a French Canadian icon carver, public speaker and YouTuber exploring the symbolic patterns that underlie our experience of the world. He's also the editor of the Orthodox Arts Journal and host of the Symbolic World blog and podcast. Jonathan is also known for his friendship with Jordan Peterson, another thinker invested in symbolism, psychology and pointing people back to Christianity as the modern West navigates a ‘meaning crisis’. Jonathan talk to Justin and Belle about meaning, symbolism, atheism and the meaning crisis as we ask whether we can re-enchant… just about everything!" (3/13/24)

Video: William Lane Craig Defends the Canaanite Slaughter
"William Lane Craig is a Christian philosopher and public speaker, who today makes his third appearance on Within Reason. We discuss why Richard Dawkins refuses to debate him, and whether Old Testament slaughter can be justified." (3/17/24)
00:00 What Dr Craig Thinks of Richard Dawkins
04:50 What Are Richard Dawkins’ Biggest Pitfalls?
11:19 Will Science Eventually Answer the Mysteries of God?
18:23 Why William Defends the Slaughter of the Canaanites
22:51 The Innocent People & Children of Canaan
32:02 Divine Command Over Objective Morality
44:53 Who Does God Wrong in the Canaanite Slaughter?
49:08 How Can One Know it is Truly a Command of God?
54:39 Is This Slaughter a Genocide or Not?
59:33 If Dr Craig Was a Canaanite
1:04:58 Conclusion

Video: The Ontology of Artificial Intelligence - with John Vervaeke and DC Schindler
This is a discussion that Ken Lowry kindly organized on his YouTube channel and podcast, Climbing Mt. Sophia. The panel includes me, John Vervaeke (@johnvervaeke) and DC Schindler. We talk about the ontology of artificial intelligence from different perspectives: the scientific, philosophical, and spiritual or theological perspectives.

Video: C.S. Lewis & Medieval Wisdom for Modern Christians with Chris R. Armstrong
The Middle Ages are often dismissed as a period of corruption and decay in the church. As a result, the riches and wisdom of the medieval period have remained largely inaccessible to modern Christians. Historian Chris Armstrong helps us see beyond modern caricatures of the medieval church to the animating Christian spirit of that age. During this webinar, we'll explore how the gospel speaks to ordinary, embodied human life in this world. His book, Medieval Wisdom for Modern Christians, explores key ideas, figures, and movements from the Middle Ages in conversation with C. S. Lewis and other thinkers, helping contemporary Christians discover authentic faith and renewal in a forgotten age.

Video: Is the Bible True? | Full Talk
The recording of my recent talk at the 2024 Apologetics Canada Conference, which took place at Northview Community Church in Abbotsford, British Columbia.

Top Bottom