• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christopher Nolan recreated the Trinity nuclear bomb test without CG for Oppenheimer

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
But the whole point is
the sacrifice for the art, not the method. It's someone being willing to do whatever it takes, no matter what that is. Also it's about how we, the audience, don't really want to know how it's done. The enjoyment is in wondering and the revelation detracts from that. The last line of the film is "you don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled."

FWIW I tend to read 90%+ non-fiction. I tend to prefer movies that are grounded in reality. It's partly why I can't enjoy superhero movies. Batman is about as exciting as I get when it comes to this stuff. If I am going to watch something, it's typically a documentary or some high-art style film. Most of Nolan's work applies here. He does flirt heavily with science fiction, but it's usually done in a way that is at least believable. I also have aphantasia, so my inability to really conjure up worlds in my mind is probably why those subjects rarely interest me.

The new Dune is a big exception here. I believe that world is fleshed out enough and is far enough in the future technologically that it is still believable. This one I absolutely loved but I also love the compositions Dennis Villeneuve conjure up. Hell, Arrival might be my favorite movie of all time. Interstellar is up there, even though the black hole thing is too far. Quasi-realistic space stuff gets some slack from if what I'm saying.

The plot point that a magician came up with a way to successfully clone another human in the 1800s is just too far.

Last edited:

DKehoe

FWIW I tend to read 90%+ non-fiction. I tend to prefer movies that are grounded in reality. It's partly why I can't enjoy superhero movies. Batman is about as exciting as I get when it comes to this stuff. If I am going to watch something, it's typically a documentary or some high-art style film. Most of Nolan's work applies here. He does flirt heavily with science fiction, but it's usually done in a way that is at least believable. I also have aphantasia, so my inability to really conjure up worlds in my mind is probably why those subjects rarely interest me.

The new Dune is a big exception here. I believe that world is fleshed out enough and is far enough in the future technologically that it is still believable. This one I absolutely loved but I also love the compositions Dennis Villeneuve conjure up. Hell, Arrival might be my favorite movie of all time. Interstellar is up there, even though the black hole thing is too far. Quasi-realistic space stuff gets some slack from if what I'm saying.

The plot point that a magician came up with a way to successfully clone another human in the 1800s is just too far.
That's fair. If it's not your thing then I get get it not clicking for you.

Although it's maybe worth pointing out that
it wasn't one of the magicians who came up with that technology, it was Tesla. It's still incredibly advanced technology, especially for that time, but at least it was created by someone who was a technological genius, And the idea was that the magician was willing to mess with forces beyond his understanding for the sake of the show.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
That's fair. If it's not your thing then I get get it not clicking for you.

Although it's maybe worth pointing out that
it wasn't one of the magicians who came up with that technology, it was Tesla. It's still incredibly advanced technology, especially for that time, but at least it was created by someone who was a technological genius, And the idea was that the magician was willing to mess with forces beyond his understanding for the sake of the show.
Deus Ex Machina

Speaking of Cameron: The atmosphere processor explosion at the end of Aliens was produced practically by pushing like a 5000W cinema bulb through a bunch of cotton batting.

Wow holy shit lol. That's interesting. Didn't know that. Thanks for sharing.

Just seen a few clips on youtube on how they shot Titanic and it's amazing that they sometimes still use practical effects instead of going full on CG. Must take these guys ages to build these elaborate models and sets to just destroy them for a scene.

Last edited:
nolan hates CG but his films sure has plenty of VFX. The irony is delicious.

Yes, there are times when shooting it practically makes sense but the reality is that often times logistic issues makes doing so highly expensive and impractical. Furthermore, things usually get replaced digitally or painted out afterwards because they decide to make changes during post. For example, in Avengers End Game during the big final battle they had a practical set of the ground but in the end it was replaced with a digital one anyway (feel for those who had to roto those plates).

Pretty excited for this one. Especially with Cillian Murphy in the leading role as well, easily one of my favourite actors right now. Love Nolan's films, and Tenet grew on me more with another viewing.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

My biggest problem with his reluctance to use CG is when it hurts the movie. Dunkirk felt like an empty beach with maybe 500 soldiers instead of the 350k people they kept reminding us were there.

The Dunkirk scene in Atonetment is a one shot take and despite that it had enough CG in the background to make it feel like a beach crowded with tens of thousands of people. Dunkirk just ended up feeling cheap.

jason10mm

Gold Member
My biggest problem with his reluctance to use CG is when it hurts the movie. Dunkirk felt like an empty beach with maybe 500 soldiers instead of the 350k people they kept reminding us were there.

The Dunkirk scene in Atonetment is a one shot take and despite that it had enough CG in the background to make it feel like a beach crowded with tens of thousands of people. Dunkirk just ended up feeling cheap.
Agreed. They should have let slip a rumor that Taylor Swift, Adele, Yeezy, or some other celeb with a rabid following was in the area and he could have had a hundred thousand folks show up for reals for a long distance shot :p

I’m so ready for this film. Straight into my veins.
simpsons-hook-it-to-my-veins.gif

K' Dash

Tenet - Prententious Trash
Dunkirk- Only good movie after The Dark Knight
Interstellar- His worst work for me. I was bored during the whole movie

As for Oppenheimer, I'm interested since it looks like a movie he can't easily screw up

maybe instead of saying something is trash you should say you didn't like it?

I love sci-fi and time travel movies so I fucking loved TENET and Interstellar, maybe you like other generes and that's it.

Azurro

Banned

Huh, I didn't even know there were that many soldiers in Dunkirk. The movie really made me feel like there were only a few thousands of them on the beach.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Huh, I didn't even know there were that many soldiers in Dunkirk. The movie really made me feel like there were only a few thousands of them on the beach.
In the trailer, and the opening scene in the movie they say there were nearly 400,000 people on the beach. 350k british. 50k french.

Azurro

Banned
In the trailer, and the opening scene in the movie they say there were nearly 400,000 people on the beach. 350k british. 50k french.

Man, I don't remember the trailer. I just remember the beach scenes, there weren't that many people there. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Believe you me there will be some part of the bomb that would be CG. Unless they figured out how to do a mushroom cloud on a smaller scale and then just add CG to make it appear larger than it actually is.

Strictly speaking, you don't need a nuke to generate a mushroom cloud. Any sufficiently powerful explosion will do. Since the purchase of certain explosives is legal and hollywood budgets are large, that's an easy way to generate a real, bonafide mushroom cloud.

Of course that would be preposterous and I'm guessing they found a special effects-style way to simulate it.

RAÏSanÏa

Trying to make sense of those inverted scenes in Tenet on first viewing was really hard. The scene where he catches the bullet with the gun for the first time helped a little on the first watch. The longer scenes were very difficult to accept, even with suspended disbelief, from being new to my imagination.

Tenet would be a good flick without it but introducing that way of viewing things with scenes makes Tenet a great film.

Trying to make sense of those inverted scenes in Tenet on first viewing was really hard. The scene where he catches the bullet with the gun for the first time helped a little on the first watch. The longer scenes were very difficult to accept, even with suspended disbelief, from being new to my imagination.

Tenet would be a good flick without it but introducing that way of viewing things with scenes makes Tenet a great film.

Tenet hurt my brain. I was lost from start to finish. Never even attempted to rewatch it again.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Strictly speaking, you don't need a nuke to generate a mushroom cloud. Any sufficiently powerful explosion will do. Since the purchase of certain explosives is legal and hollywood budgets are large, that's an easy way to generate a real, bonafide mushroom cloud.

Of course that would be preposterous and I'm guessing they found a special effects-style way to simulate it.

A nuclear explosion for a film is actually multiple step backs for Nolan, given he actually used CERN to generate a black hole in order to film Interstellar's most iconic scenes. 😉

Jsisto

Cool? Just make a good movie. As a big fan of nearly all of his movies(Inception and The Dark Knight are two of my all time favorite movies), to say I was disappointed in Tenet was an understatement. It was basically him sucking himself off for 2 and a half hours. Barely coherent plot and lifeless, uninteresting characters.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Nolan better not post how much he loves recreating a Fission reaction in our Fusion thread though.

Last edited:

-Minsc-

Speaking of Cameron: The atmosphere processor explosion at the end of Aliens was produced practically by pushing like a 5000W cinema bulb through a bunch of cotton batting.

I love seeing the tricks to practical effects, same goes with the sound people and the crazy shit they get into.
Always cool stuff. I remember watching a Corridor Crew video where they explained how they got the skew effects on the ghosts in Ghostbusters II. GB bit is at 52s.

Top Bottom