• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers Edition | Review Thread

Naked Lunch

This port sucks. CC is my second favorite jrpg and I can’t even play this version. (PC). I’m fine with paying $20 for the radical dreamers localization but I’ll wait for the mods to fix this lazy port before I pick it back up. *plays it on oled vita* yeah this is much better
So another 'stick with the original version if possible' port?
How disappointing.

Alphagear

The original soundtrack not in the game?

What were Square thinking?

Honestly hope someone acquires them and sets them straight.

Merging with Enix ruined Squaresoft.

Erdrick

The original soundtrack not in the game?

What were Square thinking?

Honestly hope someone acquires them and sets them straight.

Merging with Enix ruined Squaresoft.

Nah. Sakaguchi's hubris with the Final Fantasy Spirits Within movie ruined Squaresoft. Or at least enough so that Enix bought them.

Chrono Cross is a beautiful looking and sounding game, but it totally feels like it could be anything else than a sequel to one of the greatest JRPG's ever made. Maybe I'll give this version a shot just to try Radical Dreamers finally. I never could really get into the battle system of this game though. This is a digital-only game in North America, right?

Alphagear

Nah. Sakaguchi's hubris with the Final Fantasy Spirits Within movie ruined Squaresoft. Or at least enough so that Enix bought them.

Chrono Cross is a beautiful looking and sounding game, but it totally feels like it could be anything else than a sequel to one of the greatest JRPG's ever made. Maybe I'll give this version a shot just to try Radical Dreamers finally. I never could really get into the battle system of this game though. This is a digital-only game in North America, right?

Sakaguchi is the man who put Squaresoft on the planet with Final Fantasy.

Also it was Sony which saved their butts after the Spirits Within failure.

Anyway, happy to know the original soundtrack is still there.

Alphagear

This is on the official Chrono Cross Square Enix page.

UPDATE: This article originally incorrectly stated that users can switch between the original and remastered soundtracks. Please note that this was in error and only the refined music can be played.

TheContact

So another 'stick with the original version if possible' port?
How disappointing.

Ultimately yes. It does have the expected “QoL” like auto battling (ugh) and no encounters, and it gives you the “time egg” as a mechanic right off the bat so you don’t need new game+ to speed up and slow down the game. They updated portraits and models but it’s still 4:3 and looks bad when you make it 16:9 because it just stretches. The screen tearing is really bad, too. This could probably be fixed by forcing vsync in the nvidia settings but honestly I haven’t even bothered because the fps feels even worse than it did on console which was already pretty bad. Man, I just wanted a 16:9 60(at least) fps version of chrono cross. But ultimately I’m glad this version even exists at all because people are talking about the game again. And hell yes to an official radical dreamers localization. And it’s only $20.

Last edited:

Rykan

I've been playing it for a while now on PC and I would label the port as "Okay". The goal of a port is to make the game accessible on a different platform and that is exactly what this port does: It plays exactly the same as the PS1 original with the exact same performance. I've played through the game on actual PS1 hardware and on emulator before and the framerate drops are so similar that I suspect that this game is actually just being emulated.

The new version is a mixed bag. Some of the new backgrounds look pretty decent in some places while it doesn't work as well in other places. I've switched back to the original mode for a bit and it just doesn't hold up well. Backgrounds are fantastic artistically but they are so low resolution and pixelated. They clearly weren't meant to be played on a high resolution screen. The new character models and portraits are great and the upgraded music is very nice as well.

At the end of the day, this is now the best way to play Chrono Cross. If you want to play the new remastered look: You can and if it doesn't work for you, you can swap back to the original mode.

Whether you should pick this up depends entirely if you want to play Chrono Cross. If you just want to play Chrono Cross, this version is fine. If you were hoping for an improved way to experience Chrono Cross again, this sadly is not that.

ethomaz

Banned
This is on the official Chrono Cross Square Enix page.

UPDATE: This article originally incorrectly stated that users can switch between the original and remastered soundtracks. Please note that this was in error and only the refined music can be played.
Refined are the original version with the actual recorded quality (not the quality they put on PS1).

The remix found in the trailers can only be played a part and not in the progression of the game… you only have have the original versions.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Only thing that is a bit odd, it does not have any achievements on xbox. Really strange that they didn't add that.
Seriously? I thought all Xbox game HAD to have achievements.

The PlayStation version has trophies, including a platinum.

I don't have the game but there's definitely a true achievements page with a list of 37 achievements in the game.

Not sure what kind of copy you got A Allandor

SenkiDala

I hate so much reviews that gives a score about the state of the "remake" but not the game. To me IT IS THE GAME ITSELF that needs to get reviewed. And no way Chrono Cross deserves a 6/10 for exemple... It's one of the best JRPGs of all time, better than... Well 100% of JRPGs since decades. Come on.

Graciaus

I hate so much reviews that gives a score about the state of the "remake" but not the game. To me IT IS THE GAME ITSELF that needs to get reviewed. And no way Chrono Cross deserves a 6/10 for exemple... It's one of the best JRPGs of all time, better than... Well 100% of JRPGs since decades. Come on.
You are probably alone on that. The game is not new and the original is easily accessible. How the new version looks and runs is what matters. Also sets a terrible example to release a game and ignore all the problems with it just because. Chrono Trigger on PC would still be a disaster if people didn't complain non stop.

My question is now that this exists is it possible for someone to do a Moguri like mod for it?

I replayed Final Fantasy 9 twice with this mod cause I loved how the cleaned up backgrounds looked at some points:

I wish Square would just do something similar for these types of 'remasters'. I got this Chrono Cross remaster and haven't even started it, but judging from what im seeing online it just feels like barebones emulation for the most part

Last edited:

Rykan

You are probably alone on that. The game is not new and the original is easily accessible.
No it isn't, at least nog legally anyway. The only way to play CC legally outside of the remaster is by purchasing it on a PS3 or a PSP/PSVita, systems which haven't been available for purchase for years now. This is also the first time that this game has been made available in many regions such as Europe.

He's also certainly not alone in his opinion, I fully agree with him. You should still review the game, not just the state of the port. Chrono Trigger's PC release is a very different situation. Chrono Trigger PC was worse than the original. This version of Chrono Cross is, by and large, exactly the same as the original as all the enhancements are optional.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Chrono Trigger's PC release is a very different situation. Chrono Trigger PC was worse than the original. This version of Chrono Cross is, by and large, exactly the same as the original as all the enhancements are optional.
Is it though? I thought I heard the frame rate and stuttering was worse in the remaster.

If frame rates dips and stutters that occur in the port happen in the same places in the original, then it's the same.

BUT the original game runs at an uncapped frame rate. You can overclock the game via emulator and get a lot of 60fps effects this way. My question is, why wouldn't you implement this in the remaster?

Graciaus

No it isn't, at least nog legally anyway. The only way to play CC legally outside of the remaster is by purchasing it on a PS3 or a PSP/PSVita, systems which haven't been available for purchase for years now. This is also the first time that this game has been made available in many regions such as Europe.
If you want to limit yourself to legal and then complain you can't buy it you do you. We've reached a point where you can play even PS2 games on your phone and any computer could easily play this.

People may not remember, this game was one of the first instances of the video game hype train getting out of control. Gamespot gave it their third 10/10 ever, people heard "Chrono Trigger Sequel" and lost their minds. It's was a good game then and still is, I'm probably buying it today, but there was a huge backlash (for the time) once people actually played it and found out that it has very little to actually do with Chrono Trigger, and that it wasn't actually a 10/10 game for most of us.

But hey, if it's a 10/10 for you, buy it today and enjoy!
The point is that you make out like 8/10 is a horrendous score. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ethomaz

Banned
Performance and polish needs to be accounted in reviews to crap things like Cyberpunk didn’t happen again.

I love the bit but a bad port is a bad port no matter how the game is good the state of port will affect your play time.

Rykan

Is it though? I thought I heard the frame rate and stuttering was worse in the remaster.

If frame rates dips and stutters that occur in the port happen in the same places in the original, then it's the same.

BUT the original game runs at an uncapped frame rate. You can overclock the game via emulator and get a lot of 60fps effects this way. My question is, why wouldn't you implement this in the remaster?
I haven't compared them one to one but the performance seems to be similar to what I remember from when I played the game on Duckstation, somewhere between 1 - 2 years ago. I have played it on actual hardware as well, but that was much longer ago.

I do remember one specific area in the front of Arni Village and the framerate drops in all 3 versions I've played (Original, Emulation and Remastered) which leads me to believe that the remastered version is just being emulated. I have been told that the Switch version received a day 1 patch that puts the framerate more in line with other versions.

One can only guess why they haven't implemented that. It might be because the game is being released on 4 different platforms and QA/Optimization work would be too much effort for the limited budget. It could also just be an artistic choice as all the animations were designed with that framerate in mind and it might look off running at full 60 fps. That is...very much up for debate though.

If you want to limit yourself to legal and then complain you can't buy it you do you. We've reached a point where you can play even PS2 games on your phone and any computer could easily play this.
All I'm saying is that it's weird to say that the game is easily accessible and that reviewers should only review the state of the port based on that fact when you quite literally have to break the law and pirate the game to get it.

SkylineRKR

My question is now that this exists is it possible for someone to do a Moguri like mod for it?

I replayed Final Fantasy 9 twice with this mod cause I loved how the cleaned up backgrounds looked at some points:

I wish Square would just do something similar for these types of 'remasters'. I got this Chrono Cross remaster and haven't even started it, but judging from what im seeing online it just feels like barebones emulation for the most part

Fans do all kinds of awesome shit like this, and then companies release lots of their classics like... well here you are. Ofcourse the PS1 RPG should look like this on todays consoles. Legend of Mana actually did.

Last edited:

Rykan

Fans do all kinds of awesome shit like this, and then companies release lots of their classics like... well here you are. Ofcourse the PS1 RPG should look like this on todays consoles. Legend of Mana actually did.
I've read somewhere that the AI upscaling used in mods like that is actually patented and that companies would have to develop their own machine learning algorithm or pay fees if they want to use this in a commercial product. I have absolutely no idea if this is true or not, but it would make sense as to why SE won't use it since it obviously looks a whole lot better than what they are using now.

Last edited:

adamsapple

That's the hope, but it's an uneven thing and may take years.

For example, the FF8 remaster still doesn't have anything like that.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
The question is that for someone who never played the original but someone who also loves retro games, which version to play?

Allandor

I don't have the game but there's definitely a true achievements page with a list of 37 achievements in the game.

Not sure what kind of copy you got A Allandor

Seems like I startet the game to soon ^^ (New-Zealand settings to play the game earlier). Now the game has achievements.

Last edited:

adamsapple

The question is that for someone who never played the original but someone who also loves retro games, which version to play?

Do you mean for this Chrono Cross remaster ?

I think the new versions also 'replicates' (or just straight up has) the same kinds of slowdowns the original PS1 release had. But you have the somewhat cleaned up character models and fonts, so I don't see any harm trying this as your first time through.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

I think the new versions also 'replicates' (or just straight up has) the same kinds of slowdowns the original PS1 release had. But you have the somewhat cleaned up character models and fonts, so I don't see any harm trying this as your first time through.

Ya thats what I meant. I have played Chrono Trigger before, just never Cross.

Allandor

Yes, the slowdowns are really odd indeed.
Also you can speed up the character movement but that does not change the speed of animations e.g. going into battle or something like that. Speeding up in the other FF remasters always speed up everything. This was nice for leveling up, but now ... I try to avoid battles wherever possible. Those animations until you can decide how to attack just needs to long.

adamsapple

Ya thats what I meant. I have played Chrono Trigger before, just never Cross.

Oh nice. As a game it's not as good as Trigger, but it's nowhere near as bad as you may read some people say it is on the internet.

It's one of the top 5 PS1 era JRPGs for sure. Highly recommend use a good pair of headphones. The games soundtrack is an absolute certified BANGER.

Shifty1897

The point is that you make out like 8/10 is a horrendous score. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
At no point did I say the game was "shit" or "8/10 was a horrendous score." Please reread my posts. I called the game good, and said it was an 8/10, just not the 10/10 some publications made it out to be. I think we can both agree the title is at least a little divisive.

After your first reply I was even nice and supportive, reviews are subjective and I want everyone who has an opinion about the game to be able to discuss it here freely.

LavosBit

Neo Member
It really sucks that this game is currently incompatible with the Steam Deck. I hope it gets patched, but I’m not holding my breath.

Teslerum

That's the hope, but it's an uneven thing and may take years.

For example, the FF8 remaster still doesn't have anything like that.

Yes, it does. Even before the remaster it had it (old PC version), even if it was/is divided in multiple mods and more classic upscaling.

An all in one AI-Upscaled solution is in Alpha too.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Yes, it does. Even before the remaster it had it (old PC version), even if it was/is divided in multiple mods and more classic upscaling.

An all in one AI-Upscaled solution is in Alpha too.

That's what I meant, something refined. FFVII OG alsp has one but it's a pain in the ass to install.

Furball

beE4ZCI.png

base on Digital foundry early ascess video . Going to be fun when the video released

Rykan

I have played quite a bit more and I would like to share my updated findings.

Having done some comparissons myself, I've found that the remastered version runs worse than the original and emulated versions. While Chrono Cross did have framerate drops in the original release, they are much more severe in the remastered one. Framerate drops are much more common in towns and the frametime is also all over the place.

This becomes an issue in battle too. The framerate tanks during combat in both the original and the remastered version, but the remastered version comes with another annoying issue: Huge input delay, which makes selecting commands a chore. Sometimes, your commands won't even be registered at all which is quite annoying.

Now the classic mode is....Fine. This one actually runs pretty much identical to the original, but with a higher resolution and added Anti Aliasing. It doesn't seem to have the input delay during combat or at least not as noticeable.

I still prefer the remastered version because the new character models and portraits look really good, but there's no denying that this is an incredibly dissapointing "port" and it's basically just the game running on an emulator with enhancements.

adamsapple

beE4ZCI.png

base on Digital foundry early ascess video . Going to be fun when the video released

Yo what in the fuck is this shit, how is this even possible ? a poster on Era said it drops as low as 12 FPS on the PS5.

What in the fuck is going on with Square's output recently ..

Last edited:

TDiddyLive

Still I still like that game. Only thing that is a bit odd, it does not have any achievements on xbox. Really strange that they didn't add that.
???

PhaseJump

Banned
Installed it and dialed down the resolution from 4K to 1080 in it's launcher. It ran like shit. Forced vsync on it outside the game and the stuttering animation when moving around got better. It still ran like shit. It runs better on the unstable MiSTer PSX core.

I have had my fill of Chrono Cross already, and I only booted this up for a few minutes.

Top Bottom