• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Odyssey, a next-generation Souls MMORPG Announced

Kataploom

Gold Member
This looks very cheap. Combat style and animation is blatant rip-off of GoW. No thanks.
Have you played dark souls? GOW seems to take a lot from it.

BTW, Korea is keeping MMORPG market alive, which I can appreciate, was worried those games stayed confined on mobile forever... They kinda are tho

zomboden

Banned
Medieval fantasy mmorpg? I'm in.

Potential for gritty dark graphics and soulslike combat? I'm super in.

Released on consoles? So in you wouldn't believe I'm in.

Reallink

Given the strikingly similar setting and art styles, this looks like it's 2 full console generations ahead of FF16 on a technical level. Which is especially astonishing given the massive overhead an MMO requires. While I wouldn't touch a P2W Korean MMO grindfest with a 20 foot pole, it'll be very interesting to see how representative this video actually is of the released product.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I hope Stellar Blade is a massive success so maybe more Korean studios can start making games that aren't repetitive life consuming F2P MMOs
I would required them release the game, I'm still waiting for Black Myth: Wukon, what happening to that game?

It feels like most Korean or Chinese games end up releasing properly are MMOs or F2P gacha games.

Last edited:
I know this is a generalization, but Korean MMOs have a remarkably consistent track record of being heavily pay to win.. I’ll wait to see more on this one.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Blue Protocol/Throne & Liberty both coming out later this year (unless delayed).
Pray tell when later this year actually is.

--------------------

Game looks like one of those MMORPG mobile games that is just going to play itself.

zomboden

Banned
Pray tell when later this year actually is.

--------------------

Game looks like one of those MMORPG mobile games that is just going to play itself.
"second half of 2023" which means probably waiting to be delayed. Both games are in closed beta testing so I would hope at least one makes the 2023 release window.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
"second half of 2023" which means probably waiting to be delayed. Both games are in closed beta testing so I would hope at least one makes the 2023 release window.
Sounds like a 2024 release. If it launches publicly in Nov/Dec that's a 2024 release as far as I am concerned. Should have launched in March.

Polelock

I am not sure what the graphical effect is that makes it look all blotchy and out of focus during combat but I loathe it. Ruins the entire game.

Looks like souls to me! Will keep an eye on it.

Gotta love how a game is described as a souls MMO and named "Chrono Odyssey" just ticking all boxes even classic games. So attention grabbing lol. Can't wait to play "Super Mario Trigger"

Last edited:
I would required them release the game, I'm still waiting for Black Myth: Wukon, what happening to that game?

It feels like most Korean or Chinese games end up releasing properly are MMOs or F2P gacha games.
Summer 2024 is the current targeting date.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I honestly don't understand why it's so hard for people to believe that UE5 looks and plays that good to this day. It's not CGI I assure you..
I’m actually not talking about graphics, I’m mostly talking about overall game, combat looks interesting and enemies/boss designs looks fascinating.

Buggy Loop

I want Capcom's Dragon's Dogma 2 to have these graphics

200.gif

That's all i ask.

Hugare

So what is it they're doing here making it look like actual gameplay and then retail versions to games look nothing close to it? I wonder how much resources make it look playable in this one scenario?
No matter how much they spend developing this demo, its worth it. See how many people are praising the graphics, or on Youtube and etc. People that may end up pre ordering the game, having never heard of the developer or the IP.

Its not even running on consoles. Final game wont look like this. 100% sure.

Topfuel

Will we actually see any off these games from Korean and Chinese developers? This, Black Myth, Crimson Dessert, Where Winds Meet, Faith of Danschant: Hereafter, Project: The Perceiver, Code: To Jin Yong.....

Arsic

Gold Member
Cut the shit.

Show me how it plays in a 3080 and 4090 with a fps counter along with the settings you’re using .

I have 0 confidence of this running remotely well at launch and it’ll go into the mountain of dumpster fires.

Opinion, not sure if unpopular: the only people who can do 3d souls properly is from. Nobody else can get the animations right.

A souls like mmo will have jank, poorly telegraphed moves or there will be profane amounts of reused animations.

Also I agree on using chrono in the name being a huge faux pas

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Opinion, not sure if unpopular: the only people who can do 3d souls properly is from. Nobody else can get the animations right.

A souls like mmo will have jank, poorly telegraphed moves or there will be profane amounts of reused animations.

As mentioned before, this game has nothing to do with Souls. Nowhere that appears in its marketing, advertising, or anywhere else. It's a straight-up invention by the OP, who possibly thinks that whatever has action, bosses, and looks somehow medieval must be a Souls-like game. 🤔

Also I agree on using chrono in the name being a huge faux pas

LOL.

This game is never going to release. Why do these eastern developers always do this.

This developer already released Grand Saga, which is a rather successful MMORPG. What makes you think they're not gong to release this one?

Last edited:
Top Bottom