• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger: An Amazing RPG with One Semi-Major Problem (SPOILERS)

Chrono Trigger is loaded with problems. It's a good game, nowhere near a great one, occasionally dipping lower and occasionally being better.

wmlk

What did you think Frog was doing the entire game then? Didn't you question what was up with his character/

The funny thing is, the Black Omen is hardly a "sidequest." I mean, yes technically its optional, but it really is such a big piece of the game it seems silly to skip it. But therein lies kind of the beauty of Chrono Trigger, the fact that so many things are option are kind of what leads into all the various endings in the game.

So one last question before I set off.

Do I ultimately blame myself, the guide, or is it the game's fault?

I mean I could have easily beaten Lavos at an earlier points in the game, but I was not fully satisfied with the game's story yet because I didn't have much background with the Kingdom of Zeal and Schala, because I hear them mentioned several times when I hear praise of Chrono Trigger. And at that point, the game did highly encourage me to get back Crono from being sacrificed and stop the Queen of Zeal with her plan with Lavos.

It felt too early to kill Lavos and the game would've felt incomplete. At that point, I was at the Fated Hour chapter and I learned about the New Game+ stuff and Magus, which led to me beating the Black Omen. Which encouraged me to beat Lavos inner shell, which my entire party died to because I was in the Level 40s, and where I got frustrated with the game and hit a big wall for me. All of that encouragement just for the game to stop you and remind that you need to grind more.

I'm not sure what I should blame.

I didn't realize Frog was a rival of Magus up until that battle started. I just kind of had him in my party to grind up his levels more to catch up with other party members.

s3qWKYb.gif
gtJUz6R.gif
EV8AOQP.gif
DeCnlI4.gif
pU77Itw.gif
2ZNq9Og.gif
6OJkiFf.gif
jY6LZwj.gif

I mean I could have easily beaten Lavos at an earlier points in the game, but I was not fully satisfied with the game's story yet because I didn't have much background with the Kingdom of Zeal and Schala, because I hear them mentioned several times when I hear praise of Chrono Trigger. And at that point, the game did highly encourage me to get back Crono from being sacrificed and stop the Queen of Zeal with her plan with Lavos.

It felt too early to kill Lavos and the game would've felt incomplete. At that point, I was at the Fated Hour chapter and I learned about the New Game+ stuff and Magus, which led to me beating the Black Omen. Which encouraged me to beat Lavos inner shell, which my entire party died to because I was in the Level 40s, and where I got frustrated with the game and hit a big wall for me.

Why blame anyone? You played the game, it has its set of rules. It's no one's fault. Your actions had their outcomes.

The option still easily exists for a better ending.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

It felt too early to kill Lavos and the game would've felt incomplete. At that point, I was at the Fated Hour chapter and I learned about the New Game+ stuff and Magus, which led to me beating the Black Omen. Which encouraged me to beat Lavos inner shell, which my entire party died to because I was in the Level 40s, and where I got frustrated with the game and hit a big wall for me. All of that encouragement just for the game to stop you and remind that you need to grind more.

I mostly want to blame the guide and some on you, but that Frog thing has me questioning now.

Oh, I did understand Frog's backstory pretty easily.

I just didn't realize that killing Magus would mean a permanent lost chance of recruiting him. I thought that was how the main story unfolded. I knew I had the choice to decide, I guess I just wasn't aware how much my choice mattered.

I mean the Trial part of the game CLEARLY reminded me, I guess I just phased out or something and didn't care.

You don't have to blame anyone, it's how you played the game. But if you really need to, you followed the guide on how it said things, that ultimately became detrimental to your enjoyment and perception of the game. Hell, the guide should've told you about Magus too, all things considered.

You wouldn't have to go through such lengths to get a new game plus that's already easy to accomplish, and you can decide not to fight magus the second time around to have an entirely new part of the story you were never privvy to, a new discovery. The guide didn't allow that to happen.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Oh, I did understand Frog's backstory pretty easily.

I just didn't realize that killing Magus would mean a permanent lost chance of recruiting him. I thought that was how the main story unfolded. I knew I had the choice to decide, I guess I just wasn't aware how much my choice mattered.

I mean the Trial part of the game CLEARLY reminded me, I guess I just phased out or something and didn't care.

But

BluePikmin11 said:
I didn't realize Frog was a rival of Magus up until that battle started

I briefly forgot about their rivalry while I was in the Magus cliff phase of the story. I was kind of more concerned about the people of Zeal and their destroyed kingdom than Frog's backstory, and at that time, I wasn't really aware of the choice I made and how it affected Magus. Which led to my slight frustration on not getting Magus. Sorry for not clarifying sooner.

EDIT: I think the issue you had with Lavos may have been because you were under-equiped, not because you were under-leveled. Equipment is pretty critical in Chrono Trigger, particularly in the case of some of the ultimate weapons and armor, which have special properties that make them far more powerful than what simple numbers would indicate. The Rainbow Sword and Shiva Edge's special critical properties are a clear example of this.

Also, there is no way that doing the sidequests other than the Black Omen should have leveled you up that far. The Black Omen is the only significant source of exp after a certain point. I presume that you might have done some of the new stuff they added for the DS remake, which I don't know much about and got a lot of exp that way. But that stuff is completely not needed for beating the game.
I only played the SNES game, as stated in the OP.

I was at the level 40s after I beaten the Black Omen. When I was preparing for the Final Boss, I was very sure I had the equipment that best maximized my stats, along some useful equips like the Rage Band, yet I still got killed quickly.

Boney

Banned
BluePikmin11 said:
I didn't realize Frog was a rival of Magus up until that battle started. I just kind of had him in my party to grind up his levels more to catch up with other party members.
Uhmm... What?

How could that happen?

Also, I'm fine with killing Magus, it's a nice twist by following the revenge narrative that is ultimately pointless for Frog.

Whalermouse

Neo Member
I mean I could have easily beaten Lavos at an earlier points in the game, but I was not fully satisfied with the game's story yet because I didn't have much background with the Kingdom of Zeal and Schala, because I hear them mentioned several times when I hear praise of Chrono Trigger.

So you wish there was more backstory to Zeal? How do you feel that plot thread might have been expanded upon? You're correct in that Schala pretty much vanishes from the plot,
until Chrono Cross
but I don't see how you could have experienced stepping into Zeal for the first time and not immediately understand why people praise it as a high point.

Thud

Managed to finish it a few months back.

My only gripe are the 3D sections. It's really hard for me to distinguish layers at times.

I would agree though if anyone said Zeal was easily the worst paced part of the game. Just a slog with nothing interesting happening other than the machine, which is eh.

So you wish there was more backstory to Zeal? How do you feel that plot thread might have been expanded upon? You're correct in that Schala pretty much vanishes from the plot,
until Chrono Cross
but I don't see how you could have experienced stepping into Zeal for the first time and not immediately understand why people praise it as a high point.
No, I was wondering where was Schala in the plot after going back to 65M B.C. for the second time I believe. Which immediately lead me to Zeal after that.

I think there was that large gap of lack of new major character introduction that got me questioning about Schala around those chapters.

And I do think the Kingdom of Zeal was very memorable by the way. I still remember it clearly because of the Corridors of Time music, CT has some consistently amazing music. :p

wmlk

Zeal was incredible. You finish an intense part of the game against a boss and an entire civilization is wiped out (until CC), and then you are transported to some place in time you know nothing about. It's just a damn blizzard outside with weird portals in places. Then all of a sudden, you enter a magical floating kingdom in the sky that's just full of life and mystery at every corner.

It's easily my favourite part of any video game.

Biske

One serious problem with this game is the Lavos battle is too damn long.

First and only time I played this game was on the playstation (dear god the load times) went through it all fine, blah blah, Queen Zeal, blah blah, Lavos, shit went on and on and on, after what felt like at least 3 and a half hours, I said, no more. Never looked back.

Zeal, the weakest point of the game? Bullshit, it's by far the best part. Its philosophical and fantastical environment is an awesome contrast to the rest of the game's time periods which are for the most the usual fair for this sort of thing (Prehistoric, Medieval, Future). Zeal's also the point in the game where basically all the hanging plot threads all come together: The Masamune, Marle's pendant, the origin of Magus/Janus and the three sages, etc.

Masato Kato gets a lot of shit thrown at him for Chrono Cross's plot, and I can kinda see why, but he wrote the Kingdom of Zeal all by himself when working on Trigger. For that, he still has my respect.

Zeal, the weakest point of the game? Bullshit, it's by far the best part. Its philosophical and fantastical environment is an awesome contrast to the rest of the game's time periods which are for the most the usual fair for this sort of thing (Prehistoric, Medieval, Future). Zeal's also the point in the game where basically all the hanging plot threads all come together: The Masamune, Marle's pendant, the origin of Magus/Janus and the three sages, etc.

Masato Kato gets a lot of shit thrown at him for Chrono Cross's plot, and I can kinda see why, but he wrote the Kingdom of Zeal all by himself when working on Trigger. For that, he still has my respect.
I'm going to get Chrono Cross as soon I beat Chrono Trigger again and explore all the different endings. I'm always curious about sequels that are underrated.

I'm hoping I don't face a similar problem I had with CT.

theclaw135

Banned
One look at the graphics style speaks volumes that genre expectations need to be kept in check. Playing the game that long and not stopping to consider that perhaps the decision offered by Magus would matter, is pretty goofy in my book.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
The Black Omen is OPTIONAL?

I always played through it when it became available since at the time Lavos seemed unbeatable, and because it's a huge hovering death ship base of evil baddies sticking out like a sore thumb in nearly every era yelling at you to get in there and play it!

Like c'mon this isn't some hidden away robot field ploughing simulator, ITS RIGHT THERE and is the baddies big base!!

It also sucks to play through since its a huge difficulty spike. I have some issues with the game aside from it, but I'd prolly have been much less down on it had I not unknowingly gone through that dumb place each time I played the game x_x

CazTGG

Chrono Trigger is still truly amazing, don't get me wrong, but I'd place it behind MOTHER 3 and UNDERTALE as the 3rd best video game of all time even if it has one major flaw for me. I still recommend giving Chrono Trigger a try or another go if you played it before. I just don't feel that Chrono Trigger is the best game ever made as most people say because of one particular way of playing Chrono Trigger. That's just my story I wanted to tell. Let to know your opinion. Do you disagree on particular aspects? I really want to know!

Honestly, i'm not even sure i'd place it in the top 3 16-bit Square/Enix JRPGs (Terranigma and Final Fantasy VI surpass it almost every regard), let alone 16-bit games of the time. It's good in terms of setting with a lot of effective moments (visiting the future for the first time, the trial, to name a few), has some unforgettable characters like Frog and Magus, and a soundtrack perhaps only bested by its own sequel, but while it benefits from an absence of random encounters unlike so many of the same games in the genre, the combat is a step back from Final fantasy VI's take on the ATB, the silent protagonist
's death is more an "ugh, now I need to do this quest to get back the guy with the really useful spells" instead of "oh no, what a tragedy has befallen our party
, the story loses some serious steam when Queen Zeal appears along with what follows, plus featuring Akira "I can only draw two faces/bodies" Toriyama's artstyle hold it back from being the masterpiece so many hold it to be in my books. It's a fine game, but i'd put The World Ends With You above it if we're counting all of Square's JRPG masterpieces.

You are the worst ever.
Believe it or not, it took me a bit to get this.
while it benefits from an absence of random encounters
Ok this is something I don't get why people still say. You have a lot of random encounters in Chrono Trigger. A lot. Maybe scripted is the better word but more than half the fights are you stepping on a determined spot and enemies randomly appearing.

This annoys me for three reasons:
1) people say you see every enemy you want on the map before you fight it, but this is not true at all. Plenty of enemies are, but it's not 100% committed to this like a better game like Mario and Luigi SuperStar Saga.
2) you can't stop a lot of these random encounters. That makes repeat trips through the forest or caves or mountains annoying. I understand that they exist for the sake of grinding but we've seen games like Pokemon have items such as Repel.
3) If you're stuck fighting a sub boss all of a sudden, or an enemy that can effectively stunlock you with status effects (which can happen with this game's combat system), you're screwed.

Mikey Jr.

Edit: This is about the DS version, you can ignore me.

My biggest problem was with the sidequests in the lizard sanctum. You have to travel up a mountain, talk to a dude, go down the mountain, talk to a dude, go up the mountain, get an item, go down the mountain, use the item, travel back in time, go up the mountain, get transported down to the mountain so you can get a banana for this fucking loser, go back up the mountain again to reach a dude who tells you to wait awhile before you come back again. I'm underexaggerating here, I swear you have to do it like 12 times in total. Painfully stupid game design.

That was a garbage dungeon added to the ds version. It is not canon and is poop.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
What, that Chrono Trigger is a good game? What a travesty.

It's not "good" , it's amazing. One of/if not the best game ever created.

"Good" is average and Chrono is far from that.

But alas, this is just my opinion and that is yours.

Even though they're not avoidable enemy encounters, I like how the transition is seamless, where you find them and the battle just starts.

Sounds to me that you would have had far more fun if you'd played it without the guide OP

and maybe paid a bit more attention during medieval time period too (best time period btw)

Top Bottom