• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chrono Trigger or Xenogears: You can only pick one to be remade

Which one?

• Total voters

KàIRóS

Oh boy this is going to be so divisive.

To me as much as I love Xenogears I would prefer if square left that game untouched, even the second disc full of cutscenes has it's charm, I really don't want them to touch that game, the Xeno series can also potentially get weird if Square decides to not respect the vision of the OG game in order to make some changes in a remake.

So I'm going with Chrono Trigger with DQXI graphics and FFVIIR ATB battle system that would be dope, a 2D HD remake like what they are doing with LIVE A LIVE would be cool too but I feel like Chrono Trigger deserves something bigger than that.

Amg8Vof.jpg
FHsQ6VU.jpg

Last edited:

CosmicComet

I'm going with chrono trigger as xenogears has some nonsense platforming sections that were ill fitted for the game and were frustrating even back then. Those sections likely aged like milk.

Edit: Misread. My answer is Xenogears BECAUSE it has aged poorly.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
I like Xenogears more (love both though), but xenogears wouldn't be anything without Takahashi. Modern square would just destroy it.

somesang

Chrono Trigger is already great. Xenogears’ original vision could turn out great with today’s tech.

ranmafan

Xenogears deserves it and needs it the most right now. Oh what a dream it would be to get a modern xenogears with a fully playable disk 2. Probably my number one wish to see happen.

I choose Chrono Trigger remake.

I think if Square ever announces a remake of Chrono Trigger it would be the biggest news in gaming history...depending how it is remade.

I like Chrono Trigger more, but it really doesn't need a remake. Just a good port.

Xenogears needs work. Great game, but it hasn't aged as well. The end of that game was never great and could use a second chance to improve it.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Xenogears for sure.... I had a lot of issues with that game oh man one of the few PSX jrpgs I never went back to

CT is flawless all it needs is a good port and a Switch Special Edition with OST and 300 page artbook/guide

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Chrono Trigger, as it is, is a tightly constructed, perfectly paced RPG that's held up arguably better than any of it's contemporaries. It doesn't need a remake.

A.Romero

I just finished Chrono Trigget on 3DS and haven't played Xenogears since the 90's so Xenogears. I think there is real potential in that game if it's revisited with a modern approach of game design.

CT could be cool with hand drawn 2D graphics but to be honest I think I've had enough of it (It's among my favourite games).

AmuroChan

Xenogears for me. 2D pixel art is timeless and still looks great today. Early PS1 3D games though, do not age well.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
NoU4f3I.png

Pretty much confirms that "Remake" is not what you think it means.

8159d752-4ecd-4b3c-9582-2644d8f1d3bf_text.gif

The story, the graphics, the combat system, the equipment... All of these were remade. This wasn't a remaster. That small snippet you posted doesn't disprove that Final Fantasy VII Remake is a remake of Final Fantasy VII. How anyone is arguing about this is baffling.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The story, the graphics, the combat system, the equipment... All of these were remade. This wasn't a remaster. That small snippet you posted doesn't disprove that Final Fantasy VII Remake is a remake of Final Fantasy VII. How anyone is arguing about this is baffling.
It proves that they had no intention of making 1:1 Remake of the game and I would say they called it "Remake" for story reason more than remaking the game.

Dynasty8

CT has aged liked fine wine...Still plays great today, Xenogears not so much.

Both games are amazing and even though I like CT slightly more, I'd want to see Xeno get the remake treatment...but I feel like it'll be impossible for the modern day Square Enix to remake such an ambitious game like Xenogears. That game was massive with a ton of dialogue.

*checks out the title of the game*

*checks out the title of the game again*

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF
Wow. I'm guessing you didn't actually play the game. It's the classic "pulling the rug out from under the audience".

If you played the game, you'd know the game starts off giving the impression of being the original FF7, but soon realize a certain silver-haired villam has traveled through time to "Remake"/change history.

It's a sequel. It's not even debatable. If you can't understand that because of the title (which is an intentional play on words), you don't have any room to be calling anyone stupid.

Again. I'm pretty sure you've never even played this game that you hold such strong negative feelings towards.

A story change means it is a remake. Glad you could join the team after arguing about it first.
The game shows the events of the FF7 in Remake. Then, they show how those events are literally changing because Sephiroth is time traveling.

The entire plot of FF7 Remake revolves around Sephiroth time traveling and super natural forces attempting to stop him from changing the timeline.

Play the game or quit acting like you have any idea what you're talking about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom