• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana (NPD) April 2023: #1 Jedi Survivor 4 #2 Dead Island 2 #7 PGA Tour #8 Battle Netowrk; NSW #1 Units, PS5 #1 Revenue

MrA

Banned
I think early next year would be best, but they can probably stretch it to holiday 2024 if really neccessary.
If I were nintendo, I would announce in march the Switch 2 or whatever along with a small portable-only switch, like a switch pocket and a micro-console switch as I think that would leave the previous holiday's buyers happy that their newly bought console isn't being completely phased out and as a low cost way to keep up general supply, with the switch redesigns hitting in June and the switch 2 in September,

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Where's redfall?
Who Is That Jeremy Renner GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Woopah

If I were nintendo, I would announce in march the Switch 2 or whatever along with a small portable-only switch, like a switch pocket and a micro-console switch as I think that would leave the previous holiday's buyers happy that their newly bought console isn't being completely phased out and as a low cost way to keep up general supply, with the switch redesigns hitting in June and the switch 2 in September,
There's already the Switch Lite, though its the least popular model. I could see that, when the Switch 2 is coming, Nintendo will drop the original one and move Switch OLED to €299.

I'm expecting a period of cross gen releases as well.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Wonder how much more subscription growth can actually drop. Also I wonder what the slowdown rate looks like per platform.

PlayStation has mostly transitioned people to Extra, which adds revenue but I imagine that unless they do day 1 they won’t pull off much growth.

The fact remains that if you subscribe to a sub like GP you have a choice to make. Wait for games to come on the service, and if there are enough people doing that software sales tank, or you don’t wait for your Hogwarts or Jedi Survivor, FIFA, etc and you might find yourself spending more money per year than you did before. Don’t forget people who spend money on MTX on the regular. People aren’t stupid, there’s the promise then there’s reality.

Alan Wake

It could be worse. There is rumors that Microsoft wanted to end the Xbox division at some point. And for all of their advantages Microsoft, or more precisely their culture is also part of the problem. A new CEO could be worse than Phil. A lot worse. We will see.
This is important to remember. If Spencer is considered a "failure", meaning he didn't meet the targets they set year after year, someone else might come in with a totally different mindset. Someone who is not gamer centered, who does not care about the brand and so on. We just don't know. Having said that, Spencer needs to deliver games now or else. The showcase in June would be a good start.

Mozza

It’s not a console, rather a handheld that has a dock station. 😛
No it's both a handheld and a home console, it's a hybrid device and the reason why Nintendo no longer makes a regular home and handheld consoles. My Switch is pretty much docked 95% of the time.

The reason you had to make your initial point however baffles me, but is not a surprise.

Last edited:

Mozza

Switch #1 after month of endless threads of how Nintendo is long in the tooth and needs a new console. Lol
All from core console business experts, putting their own personal wants and needs and applying them to the wider mass market, the Switch can still sell up to 17 million units a year, which is insane considering how long it's been on the market. And as yet without a significant price reduction.

Chiggs

Elden Ring still legging out. This game is going to clear 30 million easy, especially with the expansion coming at some point.

https://www.installbaseforum.com/fo...k-nsw-1-units-ps5-1-revenue.1628/#post-159750

State of the market
Consumer spending on video game content, hardware and accessories reached $4.1 billion, a 5% drop when compared to a year ago. A 6% decline in April spending on video game content offset 7% growth in hardware.

Year-to-date consumer spending on video game content, hardware and accessories fell 2% when compared to the same period in 2022, to $17.7 billion.

FwVSdNZaIAEf2wp

Hardware
Video game hardware spending grew 7% when compared to YA, to $367M. This is the highest video game hardware spend for an April month since the $420M reached in April 2020. Double-digit percentage growth in both PS5 and Switch dollar sales offset declines on other platforms.

PlayStation 5 was the best-selling hardware platform in dollar sales during April, while Switch led the market in units sold. PlayStation 5 leads the 2023 hardware market year-to-date across both units and dollars.

Software
-

Mobile
Sensor Tower reports the top 10 games by U.S. consumer spending in April as: Candy Crush Saga, Roblox, Royal Match, Coin Master, Gardenscapes, Evony, Township, Jackpot Party, Homescapes, and Bingo Blitz.

“Pokémon Go fell out of the top ten for the first time since April of last year,” said Dennis Yeh of Sensor Tower. “Spend trends were relatively stable in April with no major shifts in subgenre spend from March.”

Accessories
Accessories spending during April was flat when compared to a year ago, at $158 million. The PlayStation 5 Dual Sense Edge Wireless Controller Black was the best-selling accessory in dollar sales for both April and 2023 year-to-date.

Software charts

FwVSjalaAAIskW3

Year To Date

FwVSm-kacAE2jRO

Nintendo / PlayStation / Xbox charts are no longer being reported.

Rankings
Units: NSW > PS5 > XBS
Revenue: PS5 > NSW > XBS

YTD Units: PS5 > NSW > XBS
YTD Revenue: PS5 > NSW > XBS

Thanks Mat Piscatella!
Forspoken ❤️

I wonder what he's saying here about PSVR2 in retail......

What is there to really say? It was only available through PS Direct until recently. I'm guessing he's of the mind it being available through other retailers will increase sales, which should be a given.

When Bloomberg Takahashi wrong that BS article he conveniently ignored the fact PSVR2 was only available for purchase through PS Direct. Dude is such a hack.

No it's both a handheld and a home console, it's a hybrid device and the reason why Nintendo no longer makes a regular home and handheld consoles. My Switch is pretty much docked 95% of the time.

The reason you had to make your initial point however baffles me, but is not a surprise.
No it's not, it's definitely a handheld that you connect to a tv. Same way the steam deck is the same, and all other handelds on the market for that matter. Being able to display handheld content on a tv does not a console make, you're still limited by the constraints of what a handheld allows (i.e. smaller form factor, limited heat dissipation, limited power, etc).

It's also got advantages, it's cheaper, has a dedicated screen and it's seen as an individual item. Meaning you don't use it like a regular console where you plug to the living room and anyone creates an account to use it. Instead you get one for mommy, one for daddy and 2 more for little Timmy and Annie.

Woopah

No it's not, it's definitely a handheld that you connect to a tv. Same way the steam deck is the same, and all other handelds on the market for that matter. Being able to display handheld content on a tv does not a console make, you're still limited by the constraints of what a handheld allows (i.e. smaller form factor, limited heat dissipation, limited power, etc).

It's also got advantages, it's cheaper, has a dedicated screen and it's seen as an individual item. Meaning you don't use it like a regular console where you plug to the living room and anyone creates an account to use it. Instead you get one for mommy, one for daddy and 2 more for little Timmy and Annie.
Switch Lite definitely a handheld while the other two models are designer specifically to be handhelds (the detachable controllers, the dock it comes with etc.)

Mozza

You are wrong, the lite exists as a pure handheld device, while the regular and OLED models are hybrid consoles, and therefore both home and handheld consoles, which is why they both come with docking stations.

Surfheart

Jedi doing so well gives the green light for publishers to release unfinished poorly performing games, was really hoping that it crashed and burned.

You are wrong, the lite exists as a pure handheld device, while the regular and OLED models are hybrid consoles, and therefore both home and handheld consoles, which is why they both come with docking stations.
I fundamentally disagree with that split, because at the core they are the same product, play the same games and have the same limitations. There's a reason we don't track switch lite vs the other models, they are all the same handheld.
Do we consider the 3ds, 3ds xl, new 3ds, 2ds, etc, to be different devices?
If you can take your console and play it stand alone in your hands without connecting it to a tv and external power supply, that's a handheld :messenger_sunglasses:

The Steam Deck is not a "hybrid" either, just because it has a dock accessory you can connect to a bigger screen.

edit: since we're arguing definitions, thought this would be pertinent

"Handheld Game Console Product means any handheld portable electronic device designed for and primarily used for playing video games that has its own screen, speakers and controls in one unit, including the PlayStation Vita (“PS Vita”) and the PlayStation Portable (“PSP”)."

Last edited:

MrA

Banned

Quick question which feature of a console is the switch missing? Handhelds can't support
I fundamentally disagree with that split, because at the core they are the same product, play the same games and have the same limitations. There's a reason we don't track switch lite vs the other models, they are all the same handheld.
Do we consider the 3ds, 3ds xl, new 3ds, 2ds, etc, to be different devices?
If you can take your console and play it stand alone in your hands without connecting it to a tv and external power supply, that's a handheld :messenger_sunglasses:

The Steam Deck is not a "hybrid" either, just because it has a dock accessory you can connect to a bigger screen.

edit: since we're arguing definitions, thought this would be pertinent

"Handheld Game Console Product means any handheld portable electronic device designed for and primarily used for playing video games that has its own screen, speakers and controls in one unit, including the PlayStation Vita (“PS Vita”) and the PlayStation Portable (“PSP”)."

Way to prove yourself, controls in the unit, switch doesn't feature those they're external way to go. Switch is better than a traditional TV tethered dinosaurs console, it has more versatility not less, deal with it

Quick question which feature of a console is the switch missing? Handhelds can't support

Way to prove yourself, controls in the unit, switch doesn't feature those they're external way to go. Switch is better than a traditional TV tethered dinosaurs console, it has more versatility not less, deal with it
Calm down warrior, I made no value judgement my guy lol. I never used the words better or worse, you might be reading too much into it, it's coming off as quite defensive.

I literally posted the definition of a handheld, a console does not have it's own dedicated screen and battery to play by itself. Just re-read it, this time without assuming i'm trying to bash your preferred piece of plastic ok? I own it as well and I love handhelds for that matter.

MrA

Banned
Calm down warrior, I made no value judgement my guy lol. I never used the words better or worse, you might be reading too much into it, it's coming off as quite defensive.

I literally posted the definition of a handheld, a console does not have it's own dedicated screen and battery to play by itself. Just re-read it, this time without assuming i'm trying to bash your preferred piece of plastic ok? I own it as well and I love handhelds for that matter.
Your the warrior , your creating an argument that shouldn't exist because of your rampant fanboyism

Your the warrior , your creating an argument that shouldn't exist because of your rampant fanboyism
Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

what argument did I create? what fanboyism?

you came in a bit hot and with an axe to grind, so you might be looking for a different target, not me lol

as I said, i own and love many handhelds, but there is a distinction between home consoles and handhelds, no value judgement here

MrA

Banned
Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

what argument did I create? what fanboyism?

you came in a bit hot and with an axe to grind, so you might be looking for a different target, not me lol

as I said, i own and love many handhelds, but there is a distinction between home consoles and handhelds, no value judgement here
you're the one fighting proved yourself wrong, you're a raging sony fanboy given your post and reaction history, very big on calling others fanboys look in the mirror pal

you're the one fighting proved yourself wrong, you're a raging sony fanboy given your post and reaction history, very big on calling others fanboys look in the mirror pal
are you fucking kidding me or what? what the hell did I say (quote it) in this thread to warrant that bullshit?
receipts or gtfo

Top Bottom