• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic games will reportedly be ‘a major part’ of PlayStation’s Game Pass rival

Mattyp

Gold Member
Regardless of what they say it not being a gamepass competitor that’s exactly what it is, everyone wants recurring monthly money. That being said I don’t believe journalists at all. But I also still believe Sony will bungle the hell out of this and gamepass will be at 40 million before they counter it properly.

T-Cake

So the question I have is what happens if you are an existing subscriber? Which plan will you automatically be enrolled in if you only have PS Now, for example?

Shifty1897

If the classic games were downloadable and complete and ran natively on the PS5... maybe I would subscribe on and off when I knew I'd have free time.

Other than that, lol no.

yurinka

Can you buy individual PS1 or PSP games, and download them to your console or play them offline? No? Do you have to keep your subscription active to play them? Sounds like Nintendo Online to me then.
We still don't know it, we barely have info. In PS3, PSP and PS Vita yes, and they were crossbuy (so you bought a PS1 digital game in a platform and were able to play it in all 3 platforms). Btw, not sure why do you mention Nintendo when Sony and MS already were renting games many years before Nintendo with PS Plus, Gold, Now an Gamepass.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Who is the middle tier for, exactly? People who want PlayStation demos(?), but don't want to pay an extra $3/month for (supposedly) an extra 1,000 games?

Why not just simplify this with two tiers? Hell - the current system already has two tiers (PS+ and PSNow), why not just rebrand them? Even more so, the $10 tier sounds like it's identical to what PS+ already is, so why even fuck with that? Just discontinue PSNow and announce that PS+ Plus is the new hotness.

Alebrije

Honestly Sony does no has a way to offer a Gamepass.

But can improve PLUS offering better and more games each month

MachRc

Let me first just get my saved videos off my PS5 without using a USB stick first Sony.
(I dont have a ghost friend to send to then download via messaging.)

bender

What time is it?
Just give me that sweet $1 upgrade for the remaining ten years on my PS+ subscription. Thanks Jimbo.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It would need to be a hell of a library for me to even think about getting on board with this. Give me hundreds of downloadable PS1 and PS2 games day one and you might have my attention.

Last edited:

BryceNobody

I can’t believe they insist on streaming classic games. There has to be a better alternative.

The few times I tried steaming on PS Now were some of the worst experiences I can remember using a Sony console, despite having good internet speed to boot. This better turn out fake.

yurinka

So the question I have is what happens if you are an existing subscriber? Which plan will you automatically be enrolled in if you only have PS Now, for example?
We still don't know it.

Last I heard PS Now was at 3.2 vs 25 for GamePass, but PS Now numbers are from last year
PS Now was 3.2M a year ago vs 25M for GP a month ago. The difference is that Sony still didn't include there the Gold/Plus subs, which are almost 50M.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Hmmm, hard to get excited for something like this. Curious what it will actually be.

Classic games is great but I already own the ones I need for the most part. Still might be interested but gotta see concrete details and game listings. I honestly don't care about access to modern games, the whole game trail thing sounds dumb as hell.

kevm3

This is trash. Instead of being able to own these classics, we get to rent them into perpetuity just like going from Wii U to Switch

Sounds underwhelming...

Was expecting more from their Gamepass competitor. This has got to be fake. Grubb isnt known as being super reliable.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Breaking news on Sony by Jeff Grubb? If it was Xbox fair enough, he is talking through his arse here. Throw enough shit at the wall and some will stick.

Zeroing

Banned
Clearly he doesn’t know what’s he’s talking about!
The project name is a big hint of what the service is about!

W11d

Majority of people won't give a shit about streaming and classic games. The most important part is how good will be a ps4/ps5 catalogue of downloadable games. There won't be a new Spider-Man or God of War day one. But something like Kena and Sifu is a possibility

Last edited:

ManaByte

if they are streamed games they can stick them right up their asses
BadCleverChimneyswift-size_restricted.gif

Gamerguy84

The $10/month tier of this new PS Plus service is supposed to be exactly the same PS Plus you already have. Same price and same content. Nobody will force you to pay $3/month more to have access to download hundreds of games.

I always buy it for $32.99 a year which comes out to &2.74 a month.

I have all the old games and even the hardware to play them on.

Last edited:

Aenima

Its a better deal compared to the actual PS+ and PSNow, but trials is not enough to make me sub for the highest tier.

I might sub to the middle tier depending of the game catologue going forward, and the 12 months subscription price.

Roufianos

Honestly, I wouldn't put it past Sony to make it more expensive than GP and have back compat through streaming only.

odhiex

The current PS+ is not $10/month, right? *Edit: ow it's actually $9.99 MSRP, I paid much less for yearly hahaha.

I doubt they will charge more, changing it to PS+ essential with no extra benefits.

I think the pricing structure of this "report" is inaccurate.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
This can't be right. 16 a month for demos and streaming, plus the psnow library and on-line play lol I don't know if I believe this

DavJay

Really hope PS do something similar to game pass or they are in trouble. CoD is likely a GP title along with Starfield and ESVI. Exclusive or not that’s a big deal. I love Sony but the business decision is obvious.

Belthazar

I know reading isn't GAF's strong suit but... why are most of the replies here pretending the higher tier only includes the demos + classic games? It clearly is PS Plus + revamped PS Now + the full game trials and classics library for the $16/mo... And it probably has a yearly price of like $100 or something, which is great value for what is offered.

Also, Grubb's track record is awful, so this is probably not even half-truth anyway

Last edited:

MScarpa

I'm curious what happens for people like myself who already have PS+ and NOW. Does it automatically bundle us in? What's the differences? And i know someone in this thread say PSNOW has 1,000 games on it. It doesn't.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
So it's the exact same thing as ps now with demos, cloud, and a few old games? If so good luck with that vs gamepass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom