• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliff Bleszinski: Gears of War Franchise Was Sold to Xbox Because Epic “Didn’t Know What to Do With It"

https://mp1st.com/news/gears-of-war...didnt-know-what-to-do-with-it-says-bleszinski
Cliff Bleszinski, the Lead Designer of Gears of War 1,2, and 3 said that “Epic was unsure” what to do with the franchise before they decided to sell it to Xbox. The creator also talks about the latest Gears of War titles and how they “lack” the heart of the original titles.

Bleszinski sat down with IGN where he revealed that Epic didn’t know what to do with the Gears of War franchise after he and other key members of the team had left. “I honestly think once Lee Perry [Gameplay Designer, Gears of War 2], myself, and Rod Ferguson [Producer, Gears of War] left, I believe that Epic didn’t really know what to do with the franchise.”

He adds how Epic hadn’t shipped a game in a while, was unsure about what to do with the franchise, and was in need of money, which all led them to sell the franchise to Xbox.

Moreover, Cliff reveals how after the purchase was completed, the first person to call him was Phil Spencer. “As much as I loved Tim and Mark [Rein, VP of Epic Games] and we’re still in touch, but when the IP was sold to Microsoft the only phone call I got was from Phil Spencer. Right? And that’s Phil. Phil is, as they say, a gentleman and a scholar.”

When asked about the Gears of War franchise under Xbox’s leadership, he said that Gears 4 and 5 “were really, really good,” but lack the heart that was present in the original trilogy. Moreover, he adds that by giving choices between who lives and dies in one of the games, The Coalition has put itself into a “narrative corner.”

Right now, The Coalition is developing two new projects using Unreal Engine 5. One of the games is believed to be the next Gears, while the other one is a new IP. However, none of the projects have been officially announced as of yet.

This makes sense, Gears 4 was a good but incredibly cautious title that didn't stray too far from what the previous games established, and 5 tried to be different but it ended up changing the theme and expectations people had for the original games. Phil was the only person who called Cliff after the purchase.

it's some what similar to the reason Insomniac was fine with leaving Spyro behind, although in that case they didn't have much of a choice since Sony didn't own the IP, but in this case Epic seemed to just hit a wall and needed money so knew MS would pay a kings ransom for it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Thats because there is nowhere they can go. Some franchises need to be killed and MS buying gears while cancelling the new IP Black Tusk (now Coalition) was working on was a really shortsighted move. Id rather they take chances and fail with a new AAA IP then remake the same thing over and over again.

The series pretty much ended with Gears 3. There was nothing more they could do in that world. Time to move on. Halo, Gears, Forza Horizon. Just cut your losses and move on. Sony wouldve still been making Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper and Twisted Metal if they didnt give their studios a chance to make new IPs. I roll my eyes every time rumors of an Uncharted reboot come up because that series is done. You cant take it anywhere else. Just move the fuck on.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Gold Member
Hivebusters was fucking amazing, more of that for the future please.
I just looked it up and this sounds fun! Just straight up FUN! Sounds like there's elements of hero shooters in there with the abilities but no rpg elements, sounds almost like an arcade game and only 5 hours sounds perfect enough to check out.

The fact that no one likes to bring up nor remember Gears of War: Judgment is proof enough.

That wasn't considered a main entry so it's not mentioned just like Gears Tactics or Gears Funko pop propaganda edition.

Halo, Gears, Forza Horizon. Just cut your losses and move on. Sony wouldve still been making Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper and Twisted Metal if they didnt give their studios a chance to make new IPs
Sly Cooper and Twisted Metal were never on the same level as Gears, Forza Horizon, or Halo. Sly wasn't even that big of a game but the marketing of it next to Ratchet and Jak made it look big. twisted Metal was attempted after II many times and couldn't gain traction. Jak itself was only a major hit with the first game, a good hit with a second, barely a hit with the third, and the other two games are also in the franchise no one talks about.

Forza Horizon is Xbox's current biggest IP so not sure why you would think they should cut it.

Halo needs a revamp but it's a big money making brand, so if they fix it before it stops being that it too doesn't need to be cut. At least not until they are able to replace it with another big franchise.

Last edited:
That wasn't considered a main entry so it's not mentioned just like Gears Tactics or Gears Funko pop propaganda edition.
That isn't a good comparison. If you had brought up how Halo: Reach is seen in regards to the Halo trilogy then I would agree. However both Halo: Reach and Gears: Judgment are canonical games in the same genre as their predecessors, that were made after a highly successful and highly rated trilogy. Even in that regard, Gears Judgment fell well below expectations.

Arachnid

You point, and shoot.
I wish it was that simple. Try just pointing and shooting in Gears online and you'll get shredded. Gears is about mobility, first and foremost. Proper wall bouncing is hard as shit, and you have to have extreme precision with something as simple as traversing the map.

Gears 5 was almost tied with 2 for my favorite campaign in the series. The multiplayer was also the same great Gears gameplay. Hivebusters was a great addition too. There really is no third person shooter like it.

Last edited:
I wish it was that simple. Try just pointing and shooting in Gears online and you'll get shredded. Gears is about mobility, first and foremost. Proper wall bouncing is hard as shit, and you have to have extreme precision with something as simple as traversing the map.

Gears 5 was almost tied with 2 for my favorite campaign in the series. The multiplayer was also the same great Gears gameplay. Hivebusters was a great addition too. There really is no third person shooter like it.
Never played much of the multiplayer, I just want to single player move through the world, stop and popping and throwing a grenade everynow and then. The game is almost bloated now I just glaze over all the modes and features.

Jinzo Prime

Thats because there is nowhere they can go. Some franchises need to be killed and MS buying gears while cancelling the new IP Black Tusk (now Coalition) was working on was a really shortsighted move.
Why does Microsoft do this to themselves so often? They always choose the worst path and get left holding the bag.

Arachnid

Never played much of the multiplayer, I just want to single player move through the world, stop and popping and throwing a grenade everynow and then. The game is almost bloated now I just glaze over all the modes and features.
I actually do agree with that. I wasn't a fan of them adding open world elements. That was the worst part for me. I hate chasing icons.

The more linear sections were 10/10 though

MOTM

Banned
Thats because there is nowhere they can go. Some franchises need to be killed and MS buying gears while cancelling the new IP Black Tusk (now Coalition) was working on was a really shortsighted move. Id rather they take chances and fail with a new AAA IP then remake the same thing over and over again.

The series pretty much ended with Gears 3. There was nothing more they could do in that world. Time to move on. Halo, Gears, Forza Horizon. Just cut your losses and move on. Sony wouldve still been making Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper and Twisted Metal if they didnt give their studios a chance to make new IPs. I roll my eyes every time rumors of an Uncharted reboot come up because that series is done. You cant take it anywhere else. Just move the fuck on.
They probably decided to go with Gears 5 rather than the new IP most likely to push Gamepass.

I know Gears 5 was the reason a lot of people decided to give Gamepass a shot.

ScHlAuChi

I liked the first game back then, but with each iteration the series grew more stale and tired.
It is in serious need of a complete makeover like Sony did with GoW.
At least GoW5 was abit more varied, but 4 was such a slog.

I actually do agree with that. I wasn't a fan of them adding open world elements. That was the worst part for me. I hate chasing icons.

The more linear sections were 10/10 though
How would you market a linear 12 hour full priced game with a non-BR multiplayer to AAA publishers and consumers in 2022?

Arachnid

How would you market a linear 12 hour full priced game with a non-BR multiplayer to AAA publishers and consumers in 2022?
The same way people market 12 linear full priced games that don't even have multiplayer like Calisto Protocol, TLOU, and the Resident Evil games, I suppose.

Are you saying that linear games should be a thing?

coffinbirth

W5uSEsW7yefCNTHatS03v5q7.png

Like this?

The same way people market 12 linear full priced games that don't even have multiplayer like Calisto Protocol, TLOU, and the Resident Evil games, I suppose.
Fair point...so far. What makes me the most curious with your example is Callisto Protocol. TLOU, COD, and Resident Evil have a huge amount of reverence behind their I.P. that they don't really have to worry and comparatively Gears is not in a good spot. I haven't heard anyone speak of the latest Gears games in any regard of reverence. Whenever they're brought up people just list out their complaints. I don't know what the answer should be, but taking things backwards just seems a bit too risky for a franchise that needs more behind it.

coffinbirth coffinbirth read this post and also MW2 has BR.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

Hivebusters is definitely the peak of Gears since the Coalition took over, but I think Gears 4 and 5 were also fantastic games. I know I'm in the vocal minority with that opinion, but I genuinely had such a great time with those games on PC it reignited my love for Gears.

coffinbirth

Fair point...so far. What makes me the most curious with your example is Callisto Protocol. TLOU, COD, and Resident Evil have a huge amount of reverence behind their I.P. that they don't really have to worry and comparatively Gears is not in a good spot. I haven't heard anyone speak of the latest Gears games in any regard of reverence. Whenever they're brought up people just list out their complaints. I don't know what the answer should be, but taking things backwards just seems a bit too risky for a franchise that needs more behind it.

coffinbirth coffinbirth read this post and also MW2 has BR.
No...it doesn't.
Warzone 2.0, a standalone game that isn't out yet, is the BR you are referring to.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Hivebusters is definitely the peak of Gears since the Coalition took over, but I think Gears 4 and 5 were also fantastic games. I know I'm in the vocal minority with that opinion, but I genuinely had such a great time with those games on PC it reignited my love for Gears.

I think I am in the extreme minority here who thought Gears 4 > Gears 5.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I predicted gears would go multi platform years ago that sounded far fetched than and you know it doesn’t seem crazy I’m surprised it hasn’t yet as far as gears of war on PlayStation.

StueyDuck

apparently the answer was to make it boring instead of awesome...

oh but wait, who to throw the knife at, wowsies what a gut wrenching decision, vidya gaems changed forever!

Most still don't know just how good Gears 5 and Hivebusters actually are. Most will be shocked to find out just how amazing and polished both are lol. Gears 5 is one of the best first party games xbox has ever produced. It's just a killer gaming experience.

Stuart360

Gold Member
Gears is just stale now, and i'm not sure exactly why that is because Halo is older and i still find the gameplay interesting.

Some of my fondest memories from the 360 was playing co-op with a friend on Gears 1 and 2, so fucking good.

Not sure exactly how they could bring Gears back, maybe a big open world map with main missions and a ton of side content. It would certainly interest me i feel.

That isn't a good comparison. If you had brought up how Halo: Reach

Halo Reach is a prequel, Gears Judgement was a "what if" alternative origin story, and it was released with little marketing right before the Xbox One launch hype took over (before the controversy), it wasn't supposed to be a big seller, and the main writers had left by that point which is why they had to come up with a new story for Gears 4.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
yes. Because 3 ended perfectly.
And all the remaining questions could've been answered in prequel on emergence day and aspho fields war.
Gears 4 and 5 make no fucking sense whatsoever and are tragic

Halo Reach is a prequel, Gears Judgement was a "what if" alternative origin story, and it was released with little marketing right before the Xbox One launch hype took over (before the controversy), it wasn't supposed to be a big seller, and the main writers had left by that point which is why they had to come up with a new story for Gears 4.
If you were in charge of the Gears franchise and it is the most popular it has ever been, would you purposefully create a B game/C game 'prequel' follow up with similar gameplay to the other Gears games knowing that it could very well hurt or tarnish the brand image? From the way you're phrasing it, MS spent money on the development, resources, and light marketing of this project...for what purpose? Apparently in your opinion it wasn't supposed to be a big seller, but why in the world would they make a game to not sell and be critically panned?

If you were in charge of the Gears franchise and it is the most popular it has ever been, would you purposefully create a B game/C game 'prequel' follow up with similar gameplay to the other Gears games knowing that it could very well hurt or tarnish the brand image?

There was no reason to think Judgement was going to hurt anything, it was a hold over game to take advantage of the 360 owners who were into the franchise. It's not like there was a Gears game available at launch for the Xbox One.

You are viewing this in hindsight after the review scores, and lack of post-launch interest. It was an average game that sold over a million copies to the target audience and then disappeared.

MS spent money on the development, resources, and light marketing of this project...for what purpose?

You seem to not get how cash-ins work, many games in the past had those entries that were meant to be a small extra to a target audience and weren't meant to be a main entry or the be an explosive release. Gears Judgement wasn't the first nor the last, it wasn't even made by Epic iirc, but a third party, or maybe Epic had minimum involvement, but the third party did most of the work.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Whoever's idea it was to put robots as enemies in the later games should be shot from a cannon.

Chiggs

Microsoft: "Let's add in a short-haired woman who tells her linebacker pals that a woman's life is not about having babies."

Gears 4 and 5 make no fucking sense whatsoever and are tragic

Which one is worse, 4 or 5? I can make an argument for either.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i thought this game has been forgotten by the majority? hardly heard people talking about it

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Microsoft: "Let's add in a short-haired woman who tells her linebacker pals that a woman's life is not about having babies."

Which one is worse, 4 or 5? I can make an argument for either.
5 is worse. it has nothing to do with gears and characters are annoying.
In 4 there is at least some of Marcus and he almost works with his son JD.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Gears is just stale now, and i'm not sure exactly why that is because Halo is older and i still find the gameplay interesting.

Some of my fondest memories from the 360 was playing co-op with a friend on Gears 1 and 2, so fucking good.

Not sure exactly how they could bring Gears back, maybe a big open world map with main missions and a ton of side content. It would certainly interest me i feel.
The red sands were cool in Gears 5. That was one thing I remember enjoy seeing. The best boss was a throw back boss. Back when the series was alive and well you had forwards by the creative team lead and he appeared in gameplay footage. He was front and center demoing the game for MS. They mention it in The Ultimate History of Video Games Volume 2. He already compared the new gears to how the Star Wars movies started a new with TFA. I still own all the Gears games. I paid $100 for 4&5, so it’s not like I trashed on them for years. I was just not as impressed with what I played. I really hope Gears 6 has some more throw back bosses to it.

The theater was also cool in Gears 5.

Last edited:
i thought this game has been forgotten by the majority? hardly heard people talking about it
Hasn't had a new game in 3 years, and the MP was expanded and is still played, but it it didn't retain a high player count to generate much discussion on gaming forums.

Top Bottom