• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliffy B considered taking Gears 4 into first-person before Microsoft acquired the series

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...ars-4-first-person-pre-microsoft-acquisition/
MICROSOFT BOUGHT THE IP FROM EPIC IN 2014

Cliff Bleszinski has said he considered making a first-person Gears of War game prior to the IP’s acquisition by Microsoft.

Speaking on the XboxEra podcast, when asked about Epic‘s vision for the fourth game before the IP was sold, Bleszinski said: “Yeah, I can tell you I wanted to actually consider going to first-person with it.

“Can you imagine chainsawing a Locust in first-person?” he added. While Bleszinski didn’t elaborate on his ideas for the theoretical fourth game, it would have marked a huge departure for the series which has been third-person since its inception.

Bleszinski also claimed that when Microsoft took over the IP, a focus on returning the game to it’s horror roots was key for the Xbox maker.

“That was Phil Spencer‘s main note when Microsoft acquired the IP. When talking to Rod Ferguson he said ‘let’s get back to the horror stuff.'”

Bleszinski served as lead designer on the first three games in the series during a 20-year spell at Epic that came to an end in 2012, a year after Gear of War 3’s release and two years before Microsoft acquired the IP.

The Gears of War IP was sold to Microsoft in 2014, which then formed first-party studio The Coalition to helm future entries in the series.

Despite the franchise’s success, Bleszinski recently told IGN he thought Epic had run out of ideas for where to take Gears next following the departure of several key staff.

“I honestly think once Lee Perry [Gameplay Designer, Gears of War 2], myself, and Rod Ferguson [Producer, Gears of War] left, I believe that Epic didn’t really know what to do with the franchise,” he said.

“They hadn’t shipped a game in a while. The [Unreal] engine was doing rather well, but they were growing and they probably needed the income even though they really didn’t know what to do with the future of the franchise.”

While I agree some changes needed to be made to keep the series fresh (Gears 4 was a safe game despite Phil wanting to go back to the first games tone) I don't really see gears working in FP, as an FPS.

One, that would have alienated fans, two it would remove improvement in design and mechanics, including controls because they would be starting new from scratch, and Gears mechanics would not be that good compared to other FPS games, it being a TPS and doing what it did was what separated it from other games of that type and made it stand out, but as an FPS, it would probably get buried.

Not to mention, they have several FPS ip and now studios already.

MiguelItUp

Shame. A first person GoW would have been amazing. I'd also like to see a full open world with Battlefield like destruction.

Hope they do this for a future title. That series is in need for a full refresh.
Yeah, I definitely would've loved to have seen this. I feel like Gears died after 3 as it always felt it was meant to be a trilogy, and nothing else.

Xbox has too many first person games imo. I think more of their games should go the other direction, make Perfect Dark into a current gen 3rd person splinter cell or something.

Reactions: PJX

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Have id work on the Gears Echo.
A first person game in the Gears universe where we use Echo squad.
We need more Barrick in our lives.

Ohh and they all die so it can be the Halo Reach of the Gears franchise.

Have id work on the Gears Echo.
A first person game in the Gears universe where we use Echo squad.
We need more Barrick in our lives.

Ohh and they all die so it can be the Halo Reach of the Gears franchise.
I could see it as a spin off fps game but not mainline imo.

rofif

Banned
meh. I am kinda over first person games. 3rd person offers more environment awareness.
Wouldn't mind killzone trilogy pack though...

Black_Stride

I could see it as a spin off fps game but not mainline imo.
Yeah obviously.
Gears Tactics wasnt a sign that Gears is now a tactical RTS franchise, it was a spin-off we are certainly going to get another third person Gears game.
No reason id couldnt make a Gears FPS title to fit in universe.
The third person shooters can remain the "mainline" games.

Yeah obviously.
Gears Tactics wasnt a sign that Gears is now a tactical RTS franchise, it was a spin-off we are certainly going to get another third person Gears game.
No reason id couldnt make a Gears FPS title to fit in universe.
The third person shooters can remain the "mainline" games.
Gears Tactics deserved far more recognition than it gotten. Really solid game.

Black_Stride

Gears Tactics deserved far more recognition than it gotten. Really solid game.
An Xbox game?
Getting recognition?

h4hnrediv17seosidvy7.jpeg

People even downplay the stellar series that is Forza Horizon, you think they will give any recognition to Gears Tactics?
Which is a legit really good game.

An Xbox game?
Getting recognition?

h4hnrediv17seosidvy7.jpeg

People even downplay the stellar series that is Forza Horizon, you think they will give any recognition to Gears Tactics?
Which is a legit really good game.
Yeah certain people will downplay stuff for the sake of their "my console purchase is better than your console purchase!" Childish stuff lol.

Senua

Meh, sounds very un Gears but I'd take it over what the Coalition has done, it's just so stale at this point.

In Clifford we trust

zf1bQdV.jpg

Top Bottom