• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Close Enough - A cartoon that's actually "Adult"

Jubenhimer

Recently, I've been binging through an adult cartoon that actually feels like an adult cartoon for once. Close Enough on HBO Max. You might have heard of this series at some point, or rather the person behind it. Close Enough comes from Regular Show creator J.G. Quintel, and has had quite the production history. Like Regular Show, this series was produced by Cartoon Network Studios, but not for Cartoon Network. Rather, initially, for TBS who picked up the series in 2017 shortly after Regular Show ended. It was set to anchor TBS' new animation block alongside Final Space and The Cops. Plans for that block eventually fell through though, as The Cops was abruptly cancelled thanks to a #MeToo scandal involving Louis C.K. and Final Space ultimately ended up on Adult Swim. After TBS' parent company Time Warner (now WarnerMedia) was purchased by AT&T in 2018, Close Enough was put on Ice for a whole year until 2020 where it became a launch title for HBO Max, now on its 2nd season with a third coming soon.

iu

The show follows a young, early thirtysomething couple, Josh and Emily, with their Kindergarten daughter Candace, living in an apartment with best friends/divorced couple Alex and Bridget. Each episode follows a mundane parenting/thirtysomething dilemma ending up spiraling out of control in a variety of bizarre and supernatural misadventures. The episode format, humor, and character dynamics are all very much like Regular Show, so if you loved that series, you'll feel right at home with Close Enough's writing style. That said, the show has enough differences to not just make it feel like Regular Show with humans.

For starters, now that Quintel is unshackled from the Standards and Practices of children's programing, Close Enough contains much more mature and risque content than Regular Show, and Regular Show got away with a lot if you grew up with it. Characters swear, have implied sex, and consume drugs and alcohol. However, the show uses these elements tastefully, and in plot relevant ways. The problem with a lot of so-called "Adult" cartoons is that they often feel like they have try too hard prove they're not for kids, so they over-compensate by shoving in as much sex, gore, and other fucked up shit to try and shoo kiddies away from it, even if it comes at the cost of quality or ethical standards. But Quintel understands that just because you can have your characters say shit and bang each other, doesn't mean you always have to. This allows the show to focus on issues that are actually relevant to adults, such as one episode where Emily is trying to get high in order to relieve the stress of having to be a young parent.

That also brings me to the second major difference between this and Regular Show, the plots themselves. Josh and Emily are a bit older than Modecai and Rigby were in Regular show, and as such, the textures of their issues are different as well. Whereas Regular Show at its core, was a show about being a disaffected twenty something putting up with crappy job and an annoying boss to make ends meat. Close Enough is ultimately a show about the growing pains of becoming a parent. The problems that arise and the difficulties raising a family can be when you're just barely in your thirties. The cool youthful shit you used to do when you were 23, now seems harder to go back to at 32. As such, the problems Josh and Emily face are very different from Mordecai and Rigby's. Issues such as sacrificing spring break to make sure your daughter doesn't fail Kindergarten, or worrying about getting too old too fast, and trying to stay young for a little while longer. the focus on a much younger family gives the show a unique flavor compared to other adult family-sitcoms.

The cast is also fantastic, Josh and Emily have a similar dynamic to Mordecai and Rigby. Two youthful fun-lovers putting up with a less-than ideal scenario, with one being the more responsible (Mordecai/Emily) and the other being more the slacker type (Rigby/Josh). But again, there's enough differences in the characters that it doesn't feel like Regular Show part two. Josh at first, seems like the "idiot father" you see in dozens of shows like this ala Homer Simpson or Peter Griffin, but the more you watch the show, the more he's nothing like that. He's actually a very caring father who, while not the smartest, is clever and resourceful enough to get the gang out of trouble when he needs to. Any idiocy he may possess is more slight air-headedness than pure stupidity. Emily is the responsible workaholic, but we see that workalosim can be a burden on her, as she can come off as too nice for her own good at times. Their friends, Alex and Bridget are also funny as well, and in season two we get several episodes dedicated to them, as do we with Josh and Emily's daughter, the 6-year old Candace, who is very charming, and very similar to what a real Kindergartener would say and do.

So if you loved Regular Show, then this may not be the sucessor you asked for, but it's still... CLOSE ENOUGH. I'll see myself out.

K

korosanbo

Unconfirmed Member

Last edited by a moderator:

Keihart

While i agree with your sentiment of the theme differences, both shows actually follow the same structure. Everyday conflict evolves into something fantastical., conflict gets resolved and we are back at the status quo of the show maybe with some continuity changes. I like it.

I think my favorite modern "adult" cartoon has to be Bojack, while not as relatable since the main character is a hollywood star basically, the existential pains of growing old, facing mortality, facing yourself and more become all too real on that show while also keeping every character moving through time by making them grow or face their problems constantly, leting them fail at it and face the consecuences or succeed, i really loved how it ended too and how it attempts to subert expectations of the genre a couple of times.

Enjay

Banned
An adult cartoon with an animation style we've been tired of having to look at for years now thanks to the shit cartoons our kids are stuck with.

Bridges

I'd forgot all about this but have wanted to check out out since it was announced. Finally got around to it after reading the OP and am really enjoying it, currently halfway through season 2. It is very similar to Regular Show in many ways but as far as "adult" cartoons go it's got a pretty unique feeling to it.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
More recently (as in the 1990's) American networks started running adult catered cartoons. However, I get that one could say there is finally an adult cartoon that's adult. This really isn't something new though. Especially for mainstream animation.

Max & Dave Fleischer started creating cartoons that were catered toward adults as early as the late 1920's. This could be seen with featured characters in the original Popeye cartoons (this would be pre-United Artist years) and in the Bimbo shorts. As most know, Betty Boop was never intended for children and most parents knew that in the 1930's. There were at least 3 Betty Boop shorts that pushed the boundaries of what could be shown in later years (when home TV sets were more widely available) that were either edited or completely banned from airing.

Case in point:

This one was outright banned for years and started resurfacing on the internet many years later.

Most Japanese early Japanese animations also had an appear toward adults (including shorts made in the 1930's the same). While Japan shifted back toward more family oriented animation in the 1950's; the shift for adult animation gradually made it's way back in toward the late 1960's.

Often times we forget that certain cartoons we grew up with that were shown on children/adolescent targeted were also intended for adults: Rocko's Modern Life, Ren & Stimpy (talking about the original, not the Spike TV version),Two Stupid Dogs, Johnny Bravo, and early seasons of Dexter's Laboratory. The idea that comes to most people's minds as to what adult cartoons were such as follows: South Park, Family Guy, the Simpsons, Beavis and Butthead, KoTH and Futurama. However, it was always part of American animation.

I didn't mean to go this much in-depth but I've read articles about 'adult' American cartoons before by people who seem to think that it's something new and exclusive only to certain programs.

On this note for OP, nearly ever cartoon that J.G. Quintel worked had been aimed at adults but was marketed with child characters to fit a daytime slot on a particular network (The Misadventures of Flapjack, Adventure Time, The Regular Show). Those shows may have had things that kids could laugh at but they were run just like Ren & Stimpy or Rocko's Modern Life. Characters seemed tame for kids but the content was clearly aimed toward young adults or adults in their 30's.

Top Bottom