• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloud Gaming News |OT| The thread GAF was begging for

Best Cloud Gaming Service

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Gamezone

Gold Member
4G is surprisingly playable for xcloud and stadia, so can only imagine 5G will be better

but it burns through data so you’ll want an unlimited plan
Yeah, it's unlimited on my mobile phone. My home fibre is also unlimited. We don't have 5G yet, but they are planning to establish it in my town this year. 4G is decent, but far from optimal.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Adding a shortcut to Chrome browser = pre-installed
Pre installed or shortcut, who cares ?

People don't know Stadia... Having a shortcut or a pre installation is good thing for Stadia or the cloud gaming overall. (Many gamers would be interested by the technology but would probably think they don't have a good enough internet or the input lag would be crappy. Stadia on a Chromebook could prove them wrong since it's has been reduced to 83 ms on doom eternal)

svbarnard

Banned
I have been truly perplexed ever since cloud gaming became a thing because the inputs from your controller have to go through the internet to a server to be processed and then back to your console to ultimately be displayed on your TV which creates unnecessary input lag, I mean there is input lag from the time you make an input on your controller to when that input gets processed in the console and then is ultimately displayed on your TV screen so how can cloud gaming even be technically possible without horrible input lag that cannot be done away with?

Fat Frog

svbarnard svbarnard
I thought the same about latency but it's surprisingly good even with ADSL.

Past exception. (awful lag)

Present : 83ms (impressive)

Future ? Logically even better but Stadia lost an important battle. Let's see how the other rivals will install (or not) their platforms.

Last edited:

svbarnard

Banned
svbarnard svbarnard
I thought the same about latency but it's surprisingly good even with ADSL.

Past exception. (awful lag)

Present : 83ms (impressive)

Future ? Logically even better but Stadia lost an important battle. Let's see how the other rivals will install (or not) their platforms.

My input just playing on my Xbox is half that or less and I certainly don't want more! This is why I will never accept cloud gaming ever!

Agent X

I have been truly perplexed ever since cloud gaming became a thing because the inputs from your controller have to go through the internet to a server to be processed and then back to your console to ultimately be displayed on your TV which creates unnecessary input lag, I mean there is input lag from the time you make an input on your controller to when that input gets processed in the console and then is ultimately displayed on your TV screen so how can cloud gaming even be technically possible without horrible input lag that cannot be done away with?

You raise a good point. Video game streaming will always have add some amount of input lag, compared to playing the same game on the same hardware locally.

There's a "convenience" factor to streaming. You could play high-spec games instantly (with no download required) on devices that couldn't normally handle those games, such as mobile phones, smart TVs, and older computers.

Let's discuss the input lag, then. There are some game genres that are noticeably affected by latency. Some examples are shoot-em-ups and fighting games. Even one or two added frames of lag could make a difference. Hardcore players will find this unacceptable. Casual players might dabble with some of these games for fun, but they won't want to pay big bucks to do so.

There are also other genres that aren't as demanding for precise timing, such as turn-based strategy games, role-playing games, board, games, card games, and point-and-click graphic adventures. For these games, even if you have a few frames of lag, they wont have a major impact. They won't "break" the game or detract noticeably from their enjoyment.

Most streaming services promote the wrong types of games, along with the wrong devices to play them on. Fast-action games with lots of different inputs don't translate well to a mobile phone with a touch screen. These services should be focusing on getting the appropriate types of games--ones that don't demand precise timing, and have relatively simple control schemes that can be easily adapted to a touch screen or a TV remote control. When they start offering those games at affordable prices, then you might see more people willing to give these services a chance.

Fat Frog

My input just playing on my Xbox is half that or less and I certainly don't want more! This is why I will never accept cloud gaming ever!
I agree with you all about Fighting Games but the latency is quite ok for most games.

I think you'll accept cloud gaming with an excellent internet and when the tech will improve further.

The 83ms latency of Doom Eternal is faster than you think.

The Xbox One X version was measured at 94ms...

Is playing Doom Eternal on Xbox One X unacceptable ?

Agent X

I think you'll accept cloud gaming with an excellent internet and when the tech will improve further.

Ever since I started with OnLive about a decade ago, I've observed gradual improvements in streaming throughout the years.

As these streaming services grow in popularity, they should also be able to expand and build up their networks, so that there are more physical locations housing game servers. Instead of a 1000 mile distance between you and the server now, it might be down to 300 miles in 5 years, and down to 100 miles (or even less) in 10 years. This should greatly reduce lag.

Agent X

Some highlights from the Stadia community blog post from February 23, 2021:

Games leaving Stadia Pro after February 28, 2021:

Game leaving Stadia Pro after March 2, 2021:

Free games coming to Stadia Pro subscribers beginning March, 2021:

• PixelJunk Raiders – The latest creation from the geniuses at Q-Games. Planet Tantal is under attack by fiendish aliens bent on harvesting the population’s life force! Shake off that hypersleep and slash, smash, raid, and rescue your way through hundreds of unique missions, all while unraveling the mystery of the enigmatic Keepers.
  • AVICII Invector – Become a DJ in this cosmic musical adventure, playing your way through tracks by the legendary Avicii.
  • PAC-MAN Mega Tunnel Battle – Prove your mettle in the world’s biggest simultaneous multiplayer PAC-MAN experience! Jump into 64-player games and show everyone who's the leader of the PAC!
  • Reigns – Sit on the throne as a benevolent (or malevolent) medieval monarch of the modern age and swipe your royal controller either left or right to impose your will upon the kingdom.

New releases available for purchase in the Stadia store:

• Welcome to Elk – Think small-town life is boring? Think again. As a newly arrived artisan, discover the charms, mysteries, and quirks of the village of Elk, where you can be part of real-life tales shared by real-world storytellers.
  • A Place for the Unwilling – A city is dying. Explore the last 21 days of a magical, haunted metropolis where story is everything. It’s a world of memorable characters, irreverent themes, and more than a little enchantment.
  • Embark on some picturesque platforming in Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition. Play the definitive version of a renowned 2D platformer as you leap, whip, and dance your way to victory over monsters, magic, and mayhem.
  • There’s even more Shantae today with Shantae: Risky’s Revenge. This award-winning platforming adventure pits Shantae against the nefarious pirate Risky Boots. It’s a classic for a reason: it’s a superbly detailed, beautifully balanced, bodacious platformer, and you can play it today on Stadia in sharp, colorful HD glory.

Shaqazooloo

I've been dipping my toes into cloud gaming lately, played Control Cloud Version on Switch and it was pretty good (aside from a slight audio lag), I also gave Hitman a shot haven't played much but it felt pretty good imo.

So after some positive experiences I tried out Stadia and I was really impressed with stuff like Destiny 2. I usually only own Nintendo consoles so Stadia could be a really good way for me to play some of the third party content that I've been looking at like Far Cry 5 and Cyberpunk 2077.

I'm hoping that Google continues to support it but with some of the bad news coming out on it I'm not feeling too confident.

Fat Frog

Last edited:
I do expect cloud gaming to become more widespread once next gen exclusives start rolling around. Most people who care at all about traditional games have already bought a last gen console so there's no reason to use the cloud. Now, if that does not happen within the next year or two then yes, it's probably too early for cloud gaming still. There's no denying the current issues like data caps and a limited library.

It seems the thread is broken or shadow banned (maybe just my messages, i don't know.) My two last links didn't bump the thread. So we count on you to feed the cloud community with exciting news ;)
Are you sure you're looking in the right section? The thread is in communities now.

Last edited:

Agent X

It seems the thread is broken or shadow banned (maybe just my messages, i don't know.) My two last links didn't bump the thread. So we count on you to feed the

I'm still here! As Bonfires Down Bonfires Down pointed out, the thread was moved to the Communities forum a few weeks ago.

I dropped my Stadia Pro subscription a few weeks ago, but I'll keep an eye on how the service progresses. I figure I can always jump back on board in a few weeks or months, probably whenever they offer some good "free" games or a huge discount.

I've still got my PlayStation Now and Luna subscriptions active.

Fat Frog

Ooooh ok, guys. Did see the switch to community thread :).

Who tried Dragon Quest on Stadia ?

Fat Frog

Good good, i'll have another free CCU+controller with Resident Evil Village !

Last edited:

Agent X

Here are some highlights from the Stadia community blog post from March 30. 2021:

Games leaving Stadia Pro after March 31, 2021:

Free games coming to Stadia Pro subscribers beginning April 1, 2021:

• Resident Evil 7 biohazard Gold Edition: Survival horror returns to its roots in Resident Evil 7. Play one of the scariest games in a decade on your phone, your laptop, your desktop, or your TV with Chromecast Ultra. Experience Capcom’s modern-day classic instantly.
  • SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom Rehydrated: A classic returns in an HD overhaul. Live out all your pineapple under-the-sea fantasies.
  • Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA: It’s pronounced like “Eeeeezzzzzz.” One of the most hardcore JRPG series of them all makes its Stadia debut this week. Get ready to sample that sweet, sweet Nihon Falcom magic.
  • PIKUNIKU: It’s cute, it’s puzzley, and there’s something creepy lurking underneath.

HITMAN - Free Starter Pack free for everyone (not just Stadia Pro subscribers) in the Stadia store right now. This curated experience consists of the HITMAN tutorial mission and the HITMAN 2 Nightcall mission, including all challenges, to play to your heart’s content. Between March 30 and April 5 you can also play HITMAN 3’s Dubai location for free.

From 9 AM PT March 31 to 9 AM April 13, play The Elder Scrolls Online free with Stadia Pro. You’ll have unfettered access to Tamriel Unlimited and the Morrowind Chapter.

New releases available for purchase in the Stadia store:

• Killer Queen Black: Eight-player competitive mayhem. The multiplayer sensation that rocked arcades is now on Stadia. Killer Queen Black demands a perfectly proportioned trifecta of strategic thinking, teamwork, and lightning-fast reflexes. It’s the perfect pick-up-and-play game for Stadia – play on your compatible phone, your laptop, or your TV with Chromecast Ultra whenever you’ve got time to squeeze in a few rounds with friends. Buy it today in the Stadia store for the special price of $9.99 for Pro members and $13.99 for everyone else.
  • Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince: Fantastical whimsy. Gorgeous puzzles. Co-op four-player fun. Purchase it in the Stadia store today for $29.99.
  • Disco Elysium: The Final Cut: The definitive, expanded version of the RPG that won three BAFTAs and rocked the Game Awards. Buy it today in the Stadia store for $39.99.
  • Nanotale - Typing Chronicles: Type your way through magic and monsters in the sequel to Epistory. Bring your keyboard! Nanotale is just one of many games that’s part of Stadia Makers, a program helping independent devs and small teams bring their games to Stadia. Purchase it in the Stadia store March 31 for $19.99.
  • Outriders: Team up with friends in this vast cooperative new third-person shooter crafted by the gunplay aficionados at People Can Fly, with Stream Connect support on Stadia. Buy it in the Stadia store April 1 for $59.99.
  • Cosmic Star Heroine: A stellar classical-style RPG inspired by the 16-bit era built from the ground up with modern mechanics and quality of life in mind. Purchase it in the Stadia store April 1 for $14.99.
  • Kemono Heroes: Four-player cooperative side-scrolling ninja animal pixel-art brawling. That’s a lot of good words that combine to make a very good game. Buy it in the Stadia store April 1 for $14.99.
  • Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 3: A truly awesome JRPG from one of fantasy role-playing’s most venerable and beloved franchises. Purchase it in the Stadia store April 1 for $59.99.

Fat Frog

Little changes for Judgment Remastered:

Removed games
Pinball machine, Puyo Puyo.

Added games
Virtua Fighter 2, Outrun

Fighting Vipers, VF5 and Motor Raid are still in the place, so I'm good.

Agent X

Here are some highlights from the Stadia community blog post from April 27, 2021:

Games leaving Stadia Pro after April 30, 2021:

Free games coming to Stadia Pro subscribers beginning May 1, 2021:
  • Trine 4 - The Nightmare Prince: Get lost in the captivating beauty of Trine 4, an absolutely gorgeous puzzle-platformer.
  • Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number: A visceral, lightning-fast shooter that will push your reflexes to the bleeding edge.
  • Floor Kids: Live out your breakdancing fantasies in this hand-drawn, stylish rhythm game.

Resident Evil Village demo free for everyone (not just Stadia Pro subscribers) starting May 1 at 5 PM PT, available to play until May 9 at 5 PM PT.

Agent X

According to this post from PlayStation.Blog, Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown is coming to both PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now in June.

This event is noteworthy, because it represents two firsts for PS Now:

• It is the first time Sony has introduced a game to both PS Plus and PS Now at the same time.
  • It is also the first time Sony has brought a new release game to PS Now.
The remainder of the June lineup for PS Now has not been revealed yet.

Now that Sony has broken the ice, will we see more new games released immediately through PS Now in the future?

Agent X

VF5 will be a good test for PS Now. (i think the latency will be fine)

I find that fighting games are tolerable on streaming services if you play somewhat casually. If you've got an intimate knowledge of the game, particularly with the timing for moves and combos, then you'll probably notice the latency, which could hamper your enjoyment.

I just played Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown (the PS3 game from 2010) on PS Now a few days ago as a refresher for the new game, and it seemed to play well enough. It's possible that if I increased the difficulty, or played against an experienced human opponent, then there would be some issues.

Fat Frog

I find that fighting games are tolerable on streaming services if you play somewhat casually. If you've got an intimate knowledge of the game, particularly with the timing for moves and combos, then you'll probably notice the latency, which could hamper your enjoyment.

I just played Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown (the PS3 game from 2010) on PS Now a few days ago as a refresher for the new game, and it seemed to play well enough. It's possible that if I increased the difficulty, or played against an experienced human opponent, then there would be some issues.
What are the best games on PS Now ?
Do you have a top 20 ?

Last edited:

Agent X

What are the best games on PS Now ?
Do you have a top 20 ?

I've played a bunch of games on PS Now over the last few years. Here are some of the best and most memorable games that I would recommend:

• Horizon Zero Dawn. An incredibly engaging game. One of the best looking games on PS4, supported by a great story (with plenty of lore that you can discover through side missions), an expansive world to explore, and lots of depth of play.
  • The Wolf Among Us. Slick adventure game from Telltale Games. Despite the tie-ins to popular children's fairy tales, this is a rated M game. If you need something a little lighter from Telltale, then perhaps you could try the Sam & Max games (which I haven't played through PS Now).
  • Syberia: An acclaimed graphic adventure that originated on PC about 20 years ago, then was ported to PS3 many years later. There was some reminiscing about this game in the recent thread here about the death of Benoit Sokal. The second game in the series is also on PS Now, but I have not yet played it.
  • Rain. An action adventure from Sony's Japan Studio for PS3 with great artwork and atmosphere. It's reminiscent of Ico in several ways.
  • Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus. One of the better games in the R&C series. It's also one of the shorter games in the series, but it's paced well, and doesn't overstay its welcome.
  • Wreckfest. A good looking and playing "destruction derby" racing game. Will be removed from the service soon.
  • WWE 2K Battlegrounds. Fun arcade-style wrestling game with a huge cast of wrestlers from past and present. Will be removed from the service soon.
  • Split/Second. Arcade-style racing game with a "reality TV show" theme. It's a PS3 game from over a decade ago, but still holds up well, with lots of game variety.
  • Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate. I generally don't play too many fighting games on streaming services, but I had some fun with this one. I don't consider myself a hardcore fan of this game, but it's easy to jump in and play, even for a casual player.
  • Tekken 7. Another fighting game that I enjoyed playing through streaming (because I'm not a hardcore Tekken player).
  • Shadow of the Beast. Updated version of the old Amiga game, but with a lot more depth of play.
  • Streets of Rage 4. A cool side-scrolling beat 'em up that was just added to PS Now earlier this month. Will be removed from the service in a few months.
  • The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition. A "remastered" version of the classic point-and-click graphic adventure from LucasArts.
  • The Treasures of Montezuma 4. Sometimes, you just want to unwind with a Bejeweled-style match-3 puzzle game.
I also would have recommended God of War (2018), Dead Cells, and Hollow Knight, but these were all removed from the service. Hopefully they will reappear in the future.

Here are also a few excellent games that I haven't personally played through PS Now, but should be good:

• Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, and Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
  • Ratchet & Clank series, especially Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
  • Sly Cooper series
  • Puppeteer
  • Heavy Rain
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • Gravity Rush Remastered and Gravity Rush 2
  • Borderlands series
  • God of War series
  • Day of the Tentacle Remastered
  • Grim Fandango Remastered
  • Super Stardust Ultra (might not be well suited for streaming)
  • Street Fighter V (might not be well suited for streaming)
  • Veloicty 2X (might not be well suited for streaming)

Last edited:

Agent X

Here are some highlights from the Stadia community blog post from May 25, 2021:

Free games coming to Stadia Pro subscribers beginning June 1, 2021:
  • The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel III - It doesn’t get more hardcore than this standout JRPG from the masters at Nihon Falcom.
  • MotoGP20 - Blazing speed. Custom careers. Motorsports action at its absolute finest.
  • Blue Fire - Scratch that 3D platforming itch with Blue Fire, a delightful eldritch adventure that will have you leap through deadly traps, battle daunting adversaries, and more.
  • Chronos: Before the Ashes - Every time you die, you age a year, growing in some ways while diminishing in others. Can you slash your way through this atmospheric RPG before time runs out?

Game leaving Stadia Pro after May 31, 2021: Reigns

Ghost Recon Breakpoint is free to play for Stadia Pro members, from 8 AM PT Thursday, May 27 to 10 AM PT Monday, May 31.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I feel like I've been min-maxing my Stadia Pro subscription.

It feels like paying $10 every three months is about the sweet spot, where enough stuff I've already claimed has rotated out and enough new stuff has rotated in that claiming the games comes down to being about $1 each. Except I only get to play them once every few months :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Fat Frog

Top Bottom