• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloud Gaming News |OT| The thread GAF was begging for

Best Cloud Gaming Service

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Shaqazooloo

The first game also coming to Switch via cloud.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
I love that us Switch owners can get next gen games this way.
Yeah, that's great. GFN, Stadia and soon Xcloud... We don't need to buy expensive consoles or hardware to play a lot of next gen games. We just need to pick a game on Stadia, another one via our Steam libraries on GFN and others from xcloud. (soon we won't need a game pass sub to enjoy this streaming service)

Fat Frog

and Judgment is only 10 bucks for Pro Stadia users. Buy it to convince Sega to do more excellent ports (one of the best on Stadia)

(you can play Virtua Fighter 5 in the game centers)

Last edited:

Agent X

I feel like I've been min-maxing my Stadia Pro subscription.

It feels like paying $10 every three months is about the sweet spot, where enough stuff I've already claimed has rotated out and enough new stuff has rotated in that claiming the games comes down to being about $1 each. Except I only get to play them once every few months :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I think that's a good idea. I dropped off of Stadia Pro a few months ago, but intend to pop back on if they offer any games that I really want to play. Unfortunately, the last few months don't have much that appeals to me.

Street Power Football (also known as Street Power Soccer on some other platforms, if you're in the US like me) looks like it could have been a cool concept, but has garnered mostly negative reviews.

Saint Row 3rd and Valkyria 4 coming to Luna soon.

According to that video, Dirt 5 is coming on July 15, too. That's a great pickup for Luna, although the video you posted says that none of the online features (including user-created content) are available on Luna. This post from the official Amazon Luna blog says the following:

Amazon Luna blog said:
*Online (Races and Party Games), Time Trial, Playgrounds, and RaceNet features are not available in this version of DIRT 5.

I know Luna is still considered "early access", but Amazon really needs to work on improving stuff like this and their overall "online community" in order to be considered a major player. Not only is online play stripped from almost every game, but even the asynchronous features (such as online scoreboards and trophies/achievements) are either severely watered down or completely absent. It feels like Luna is detached from the rest of the gaming universe. As a result, if I have the choice to play a particular game on Luna or some other platform that I have access to, I'll almost always choose the other platform for this reason.

Great Hair

Banned

eU5rV72.png

Agent X

According to this PlayStation.Blog post, here are the new games being added to PlayStation Now in July 2021:

• Red Dead Redemption 2 (until November 1, 2021 exclusively via PS4/PS5 download)
  • Nioh 2
  • Judgment (until October 4, 2021)
  • God of War
  • Moving Out
  • Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
  • Nascar Heat 5

ps-now-jul-drop-blog-creative-1920x1080-en-us.jpg

Red Dead Redemption 2 won't be available for streaming. As far as I know, this is the first time a game has been offered on PlayStation Now as download only, without the ability to stream it.

The games will become available starting tomorrow, July 6.

elliot5

Kind of annoying that they worked on this video after MS announced their intentions to "free up" xCloud from android to be on browsers and iOS without the invite system, plus the XSX blades circulating prior to the official announcement. Like, I know they will want official statements before performing empirical testing, but surely they could've just waited a little longer?

I guess at least Steve said they would revisit it once the Xbox app on PC includes xCloud like what they showed during Windows 11 reveal.

Shaqazooloo

A plague Tale: Innocence is out on Switch, didn't think it would be this soon. Tried the demo, and it was pretty smooth, played in handheld mode, no issues. Will probably one I have the money for it.

Also the new Switch with it's ethernet port seems like it'll make the system better for cloud games.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Also the new Switch with it's ethernet port seems like it'll make the system better for cloud games.
Nice and who is Nintendo's partner for cloud gaming ? (a plague tale, PSO2)

Also, Stadia had a great week. Fifa 22's new tech won't be available on PS4, Xbone, PC and Judgment will officially never be released on PC (Kimura's agency is blocking it).

Many reasons to try Stadia or Cloud Gaming. (Fifa 22 or 60FPS Judgment won't cost you 500 bucks to play them... Not to mention the free online on Stadia)

Last edited:

Shaqazooloo

Nice and who is Nintendo's partner for cloud gaming ? (a plague tale, PSO2)

Also, Stadia had a great week. Fifa 22's new tech won't be available on PS4, Xbone, PC and Judgment will officially never be released on PC (Kimura's agency is blocking it).

Many reasons to try Stadia or Cloud Gaming. (Fifa 22 or 60FPS Judgment won't cost you 500 bucks to play them... Not to mention the free online on Stadia)
I don't think Nintendo has any involvement with it, but most of the Cloud games are done by ubitus. They've said they're working on bringing several major games to Switch by cloud and so far I'm quite satisfied with what they've done.

Speaking of Stadia, I need to keep up on their deals and see if Cyberpunk 2077 ever goes on sale, been really interested in that one. Also need to get back to Far Cry 5, since I'll probably be buying 6 as well.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I don't think Nintendo has any involvement with it, but most of the Cloud games are done by ubitus. They've said they're working on bringing several major games to Switch by cloud and so far I'm quite satisfied with what they've done.

Speaking of Stadia, I need to keep up on their deals and see if Cyberpunk 2077 ever goes on sale, been really interested in that one. Also need to get back to Far Cry 5, since I'll probably be buying 6 as well.
I meant which servers are used for Switch games ? Microsoft ones ? Amazon ? Google ? Nvidia ?

Fat Frog

New poll available.
Shaqazooloo Shaqazooloo Plantoid Plantoid Agent X Agent X T Thanati Bonfires Down Bonfires Down Night.Ninja Night.Ninja
L Legenscary
Redlancet Redlancet kebaldo kebaldo
Duallusion Duallusion bad guy bad guy Coconutt Coconutt
StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige Alucardx23 Alucardx23
Spukc Spukc aries_71 aries_71
jshackles jshackles
BertleTheTurtle BertleTheTurtle
Gamezone Gamezone
funkygunther funkygunther
Great Hair Great Hair
R reksveks E elliot5

This time it will interesting since Xcloud has Series X Blades, PSNow now allows 1080 Streaming, Stadia arrived on Android TV and Luna received a load of japanese games...

Last year, I would have vote for GFN but as a SegaTrash i'm quite disapointed by the offer. (mostly Sega PC titles)

On Stadia, we had recently the fantastic Judgment port, Panzer Dragoon, Valkyria 4, Monsterboy... GFN had Streets of Rage 4 but it's also coming on Stadia in a few days.

Honestly, Stadia is doing great lately.
Stadia got my 2021 vote.

I din't why but I expect a lot of Xbox fans voting for xcloud without liking cloud gaming... :)
I didn't have the opportunity to test it. Games look greats but many people claim it has the worst latency.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
geforce..
shame i lost like 70% of my games in the first month.. but it worked.

Stadia
was a bit more random.

INHOUSE ps5 to ipad.
Perfection! this is how i want my streaming to be

I personally rarely use any cloud service. But I’m interested in the tech and I think it will be big in the future.

Stadia - I’m not convinced about purchasing games on the cloud yet. Subscriptions seem more natural to me. And Stadia games are often expensive from what I’ve seen. Latency and image quality has been good on my system though.

PS Now - This gets my vote as I already own a gaming PC but I’d rather not fork out the cash to buy a Playstation for just a few exclusives. Really wish they would keep their old games on there permanently though. Again, latency was excellent for me and iq should be good too if they’ve upgraded to 1080p.

Geforce Now - Game support seems spotty and you constantly have to login to your clients from what I hear.

xCloud - Don’t know yet but I’ll definitely try this out in the future.

elliot5

I haven't tried Nvidia or Luna or PSNow, only xCloud and Stadia.

I voted Stadia because I'm looking at it from a compatibility and technology standpoint. The ability to pair your controller to your phone if its not a Stadia controller is genius. MKB support is wonderful. Their latency is almost negligible from what I've tried. 4KHDR support.

While I don't plan on playing on Stadia much at all, if ever, I have to give Google props for what they achieved.

xCloud wins in terms of business model / ease of access for me, personally. Instant library to access and shares my progress/saves/achievements/crossplay etc. xCloud runs great for me personally, but not quite there on Stadia levels.

Thanati

I personally rarely use any cloud service. But I’m interested in the tech and I think it will be big in the future.

Stadia - I’m not convinced about purchasing games on the cloud yet. Subscriptions seem more natural to me. And Stadia games are often expensive from what I’ve seen. Latency and image quality has been good on my system though.

PS Now - This gets my vote as I already own a gaming PC but I’d rather not fork out the cash to buy a Playstation for just a few exclusives. Really wish they would keep their old games on there permanently though. Again, latency was excellent for me and iq should be good too if they’ve upgraded to 1080p.

Geforce Now - Game support seems spotty and you constantly have to login to your clients from what I hear.

xCloud - Don’t know yet but I’ll definitely try this out in the future.
Stadia works great. I’ve been using it now since launch and had no issues at all.

I signed up for the founders of GeForce now it’s great and you don’t have to constantly login to your clients.

Xcloud is OK. I use it on my PC and it’s definitely the worst of the bunch at the moment, but MS are making strides.

At the moment, Stadia works the best from a tech perspective, for me.

Great Hair

Banned
Still going with GeForce Now, as it´s the only one I've tested at home. Tried the beta few years ago and it ran just fine. The older the title, the faster it "felt" to me (Tera was fast, Destiny 1 felt more like "45fps, not 60" to me).

I bet it has improved since then, but the GUI back then was terrible and having to re-download incompatible games like PoE at that time was a pain in the rear.

Fat Frog

"the Xbox Game Streaming application, which is only available on Google Play, has reached 3.2 million downloads worldwide to date.

Looking at other streaming apps, Nvidia GeForce Now has 4.2 million downloads to date on Google Play, while Google’s Stadia has 3.3 million total downloads on both the App Store and Google Play."

Cloud gaming has overall a decent popularity but needs far more exposure.

Finally, Stadia transactional revenue share is changing. 30% > 15% (under 3 millions copies sold)

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Netflix X Playstation ?

Do you think the others will let them grow like this without strike back ?

HBO Max X Xcloud ?
Disney Plus X Stadia ?
Prime Video/Gaming X Luna ?

Last edited:

Agent X

The Stadia community blog still hasn't announced the August 2021 Stadia Pro games. Fortunately, they announced them on Twitter a few days ago.

• Killer Queen Black
  • Valkyria Chronicles 4
  • GRIME
  • It Came From Space & Ate Our Brains
  • Epistory - Typing Chronicles

They did mention in their blog post from July 27 that Marvel’s Avengers and Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: The Official Video Game are free to play for Stadia Pro members from 9 AM PT July 29 to 9 AM PT August 2.

I've been playing Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 through PlayStation Now over the last few weeks, and I think it's rather good. Give this game a try if it's available to you.

Fat Frog

In order to accurately measure perceptual visual quality without running time consuming subjective tests, the Stadia team partnered with the Neural Compression Team from Google Research to build a video perceptual metric based on Deep Learning that would have higher correlation scores than the existing metrics used by the industry and let us build state-of-the-art products in the environment of constantly increasing visual quality expectations.

Last edited:

Agent X

Does Stadia support gyro controls?
If it does, then I haven't encountered any instance of it.

The official Stadia controller does not have gyro. I play on Stadia using a Sony DualShock 4, which does have motion controls.

The Stadia games do a good job of adapting the games' user interfaces to the DualShock 4. They display the distinctive PlayStation button symbols for button prompts, and show a picture of the DualShock 4 on controller configuration screens. (Take note of this, Amazon Luna.) I don't recall any games utilizing gyro controls. Unfortunately, I don't have Stadia Pro right now, so I can't check most of my previously claimed Pro games at this time. The one game that I have on Stadia outside of Stadia Pro, Borderlands 3, doesn't have a motion control option.

Shaqazooloo

If it does, then I haven't encountered any instance of it.

The official Stadia controller does not have gyro. I play on Stadia using a Sony DualShock 4, which does have motion controls.

The Stadia games do a good job of adapting the games' user interfaces to the DualShock 4. They display the distinctive PlayStation button symbols for button prompts, and show a picture of the DualShock 4 on controller configuration screens. (Take note of this, Amazon Luna.) I don't recall any games utilizing gyro controls. Unfortunately, I don't have Stadia Pro right now, so I can't check most of my previously claimed Pro games at this time. The one game that I have on Stadia outside of Stadia Pro, Borderlands 3, doesn't have a motion control option.
Yeah, I tried seeing if Far Cry 5 had any option for it but no luck.

Well that's a shame, not really a big deal I guess but it is rough going back to aiming with a stick after getting used to motion controls over the past year.

elliot5

Oh really ? Great !
Is there a 120 fps mode to improve the latency or something ?
i dont think 120 fps is enabled on xcloud (at least not for this game even though it is 120 fps capable), but it just runs very smoothly and is very playable. Of course there's SOME latency, but really not enough to make it frustrating. Feels like a console

Last edited:
Top Bottom