• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: 7000 geeks stink. NO Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2 news @ BlizzCon 2005.

Borys

Banned
:(

Only WoW XP will be shown.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/12/commentary/game_over/column_quakecon/

The stench in the back of the Longhorn Exhibit Hall at the Gaylord Texan hotel is already getting a mite strong -- and by Sunday morning, it will scorch your nose hairs -- but no one seems to care too much.

:lol Yeah, LAN parties stink as well.

The first QuakeCon was somewhat revolutionary in the industry. At the time, it was unheard of for players and developers to mingle. The success of the show, however, along with the fierce company loyalty it helped foster has given birth to a new way for developers to market their games.

Sony Online Entertainment, for example, introduced Fan Faire in 2000, letting fans of "EverQuest" gather and meet face-to-face, often for the first time. This year, Blizzard Entertainment will launch "BlizzCon," for fans of its runaway hit "World of Warcraft" and other games.

"Normally we're a very secret company, but with 'World of Warcraft,' we decided we want to get more in touch with our fans," said George Wang, public relations coordinator for Blizzard. "We wanted to make it a cool, party event -- not just a convention where people go and see a couple of exhibits and that sort of thing."

Blizzard expects up to 6,500 guests at BlizzCon, thanks in large part to the staggering worldwide success of "World of Warcraft". Over 3.5 million people pay $12.99-$14.99 per month to play the game. In addition to the opportunity to chat with the makers of the game and attend a concert, attendees will be the first to see what's next for Blizzard.

"We're going to be showing off a new product we haven't announced yet," said Wang. (And for those thinking it's the long-rumored unveiling of "Diablo 3" or "Starcraft 2," get ready for a letdown. Wang said the announcement will be linked to "World of Warcraft".)

Found on EvilAvatar

Joe

its gotta either be WoW for xbox360/ps3 or an expansion (obviously). im hoping its an announcement for xbox360.

Vieo

They're probably raking in so much money off of WoW, while never expecting it to do so well in the first place, I wouldn't be surprised if they put Diablo or Starcraft off for the next five years and just release WoW expansions. :lol

nubbe

Vieo said:
They're probably raking in so much money off of WoW, while never expecting it to do so well in the first place, I wouldn't be surprised if they put Diablo or Starcraft off for the next five years and just release WoW expansions. :lol
and Diablo 2 patches

is Diablo 3 going to be the next Doom 3?
Why does it take these companies so goddamn long to make follow-ups/sequels, especially when a game is so rabidly desired by fans? Hasn't it already been like 5 years since Diablo 2 was released?

SyNapSe

TheJollyCorner said:
is Diablo 3 going to be the next Doom 3?
Why does it take these companies so goddamn long to make follow-ups/sequels, especially when a game is so rabidly desired by fans? Hasn't it already been like 5 years since Diablo 2 was released?

success of "World of Warcraft". Over 3.5 million people pay $12.99-$14.99 per month to play the game.

Hey guys let's hurry up and make Diablo 3 so we can support it for errr.. free? for the next 5 years? On second thought..

I'd really like to see what Blizzard could do with World of Warcraft on the Xbox 360. Microsoft has been talking with Blizzard about getting it on the Xbox 360, but obviously nothing has been announced.

I have a Trial Account in World of Warcraft right now, and I'm having a blast. My third day with the game, and I'm up to Level 13 right now. Loving it!

Vandiger

SyNapSe said:
Hey guys let's hurry up and make Diablo 3 so we can support it for errr.. free? for the next 5 years? On second thought..

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they start thinking of making thier other franchises into "MMORPGs" doesn't make good business sense in light of WOW.

Borys

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
SyNapSe:
I don't see your point. How about explaining it without the use of smartass wit?

Every day you are playing Diablo 3 brings Blizzard $0.0.
Every day you are playing WoW: Expansion Pack brings blizzard $0.50.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
if you are waiting on a new diablo you should be playing wow anyway.

cant wait for the xp

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I'd very much like to see info on a WoW expansion. I'm sorta curious as to which new races will be added, if any, not to mention so new areas to explore.

SyNapSe

TheJollyCorner said:
SyNapSe:
I don't see your point. How about explaining it without the use of smartass wit?

Why would they push to create Diablo 3. WoW is a huge cash cow.. Diablo is a cash leach.. you create it.. get your stupid $50 up front and then they've been supporting it over time. If we do see a new starcraft/diablo anytime soon it will be under the guise of some new gamestyle or battle.net will become a subscription service.

I don't play any of these (Blizzard) games... I'm just curious why it's taken so long to make a new Diablo. Doesn't Blizzard have a console division that could make Diablo 3 specifically for X360 or PS3, while not losing PC gamer momentum from WoW?

Your explanations make sense... it just seems like a shame to sit on a franchise as popular as Diablo was.

Hmmm, Blizzard just purchased Swinging Ape (Metal Arms: Glitch In The System), who is now working on StarCraft: Ghost. However when Blizzard purchased Swinging Ape, they stated that they would like Swinging Ape to bring several Blizzard franchises to consoles in the future.

Mashing

Joe said:
its gotta either be WoW for xbox360/ps3 or an expansion (obviously). im hoping its an announcement for xbox360.

I'm not... keep those fucking xbox kiddies off WoW. The community is bad enough as it is... don't need 12 year old Leroy Jenkings wannabes.

Vieo

A lot of people are probably gonna jump on my for saying this, but... :lol

I forgot which game mag I read, but in the rumor section they claimed that a creditable source said the soundtrack to Diablo III was already recorded. I wouldn't be surprised that due to the success of WoW, D3 has been put on the backburner(delayed) while WoW takes center stage and when D3 finally hits, it's D2 all over again where the game's graphics look dated for it's time.

There's a lot of people who are currently accusing Atari of doing something like this with NWN2. It's practically less than a year away from release and nothing beyond the original concept art from the time the game was announced has been shown(no screenshots, trailers, teasers, official website, NOTHING). It wasn't even at E3 and if you visit the message boards for the game, the devs have said they are impressed with how the game looks. It's suspected that Atari is holding back on NWN2 info because they don't want it competing with DDO.

Though, this is all just speculation of course. :D

blackadde

TheJollyCorner said:
I don't play any of these (Blizzard) games... I'm just curious why it's taken so long to make a new Diablo. Doesn't Blizzard have a console division that could make Diablo 3 specifically for X360 or PS3, while not losing PC gamer momentum from WoW?

Your explanations make sense... it just seems like a shame to sit on a franchise as popular as Diablo was.

'cause the Diablo fanbase is on PC.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Vieo said:
There's a lot of people who are currently accusing Atari of doing something like this with NWN2. It's practically less than a year away from release and nothing beyond the original concept art from the time the game was announced has been shown(no screenshots, trailers, teasers, official website, NOTHING). It wasn't even at E3 and if you visit the message boards for the game, the devs have said they are impressed with how the game looks. It's suspected that Atari is holding back on NWN2 info because they don't want it competing with DDO.

Well seeing as how Turbine is funding DDO themselves and handling the subscription themselves; I don't see why Atari would be so interested in its success. Turbine is being very smart with DDO in that they get all of the subscription money from the game, not Atari. The only real involvement Atari has with DDO is that they are the company putting the games on store shelves, Turbine gets all the cash. It's the same arrangement Turbine has with SOE where SOE publishes Asheron's Call 1 & 2 through their StationPublishing label, but Turbine gets all the money from the game subscriptions.

suaveric

Don't forget, most of the braintrust of the Diablo franchise has left the company since the release of Diablo 2. So that may be slowing things down.

And Diablo fans should quit their bitching. Us Starcraft people have been waiting since 1998! Considering the Craft team probably got started on that sequel only a year and a half ago, it might not get Starcraft 2 until 2008...

suaveric

Calidor said:
anyways, the original Starcraft/Diablo team is dissolved, so they will only ruin the franchise most likely

Eh? These were never the same team to begin with. Starcraft was handled in Irvine by the original Blizzard developers and the Diablo games were made up in San Francisco by Blizzard North.

Recently Blizzard announced they will be merging the two offices together. But I think it is safe to assume that in the mean time the North team had been working on Diablo 3 while Craft team 1 did WarCraft 3 and Craft team 2 did WoW.

RoH

I'm not... keep those fucking xbox kiddies off WoW. The community is bad enough as it is... don't need 12 year old Leroy Jenkings wannabes.

You have not played WoW much have you? WoW community = XBL, you get the good the bad and the ugly in both games.

I gave up on WoW. The game is addicting like crack, but after 2 lvl 60's, and no fixes really to the game, the servers sucking with lag, I'm letting my account rot for a good year/year and half.

suaveric said:
Eh? These were never the same team to begin with. Starcraft was handled in Irvine by the original Blizzard developers and the Diablo games were made up in San Francisco by Blizzard North.

Recently Blizzard announced they will be merging the two offices together. But I think it is safe to assume that in the mean time the North team had been working on Diablo 3 while Craft team 1 did WarCraft 3 and Craft team 2 did WoW.
No i think he more means the fact that nearly everyone involved in making the Diablo games left, pretty much to either make Guild Wars or Hellgate: London.

TheDuce22

Banned
Its nice when a good developer like Blizzard succeds. They are up there with nintendo when it comes to releasing quality, polished titles.

RoH said:
You have not played WoW much have you? WoW community = XBL, you get the good the bad and the ugly in both games.

Exactly.....at least with WoW you can assure yourself that you'll never play with the idiots again. On LIVE they pop up time and time again.

WoW for 360 4tw!

The entire Xbox Live community isn't really that bad. The Halo 2 community over Xbox Live? Yes. But if a game like World of Warcraft came to the Xbox 360, most of the Halo 2 crew from XBL wouldn't be all over it.

If you play other games on Live like Ghost Recon 2, or Battlefield 2: Modern Combat most people are really mellow.

ToyMachine228 said:
If you play other games on Live like Ghost Recon 2, or Battlefield 2: Modern Combat most people are really mellow.

I've noticed that about B:MC - in the countless hours I've put into the demo I've run into very few screaming fools.

Zaptruder

Banned
TheDuce22 said:
Its nice when a good developer like Blizzard succeds. They are up there with nintendo when it comes to releasing quality, polished titles.

Ahahahahah.

If you actually played their games, you'd realise they only polish it up over the course of 2-5 years after the game has been released.

Flakster99

My biggest gripe with WoW, besides the lack of a community, was it's importance to Blizzard and Blizzard's subsequent lack of interest in their other IP's. It's a fucking shame what it is.

Hero

I love Blizzard, they've released so many quality games I don't see how anyone can't enjoy their roster, but I do have to agree that it seems that the only thing Blizzard cares about in the past few years is Warcraft.

Warcraft III
Warcraft III: Frozen Throne
World of Warcraft

Where's Starcraft 2? Diablo III?

I imagine World of Diablo is inevitable with the success of WoW, but I want a Starcraft 2. MMORPGs are cool but I want an awesome, balanced RTS again.

Bregor

They are following the same pattern they _always_ follow of releasing a game, and then releasing an expansion for it. Nobody should be surprised by this.

Flakster99

Bregor said:
They are following the same pattern they _always_ follow of releasing a game, and then releasing an expansion for it. Nobody should be surprised by this.

Considering that WoW is a MMOG, and MMOG's are famous for their expansions, Blizzard releasing an expansion for WoW is a certainty. You're right, no one should be surprised by that.

However, our point is it's been nothing but Warcraft for years now. Now if Blizzard manages to come up with a BRAD NEW IP unrelated to the Diablo, Starcraft world, then that would be fantastic, and most welcome!

SyNapSe said:
Why would they push to create Diablo 3. WoW is a huge cash cow.. Diablo is a cash leach.. you create it.. get your stupid $50 up front and then they've been supporting it over time. If we do see a new starcraft/diablo anytime soon it will be under the guise of some new gamestyle or battle.net will become a subscription service.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Diablo 2 one of the best selling PC games of all time? Hardly a leech, imo... Although it cannot possibly bring in as much money as a subscription based game, there's no doubt in my mind that the game would make alot more than it would cost. It's not like Blizzard has 100% of their resources tied to WoW, anyways.

Borys

Banned
Correction: there is also Starcraft: Ghost.

So they made:

4 Warcrafts (1,2,3, World of) + Expansion Packs + cancelled Warcraft Adventures
2 Starcrafts (1 and Ghost) + Expansion Pack
2 Diablos (1, 2) + Expansion Pack

50%, 25%, 25%.

Need more Diablo and Starcraft games, stat!

xabre

Banned
I eagerly anticipate the announcement of the World of Warcraft expansion pack. While I did pay full price for World of Warcraft as well as monthly fees to be allowed to play the game, I must express my delight at the prospect of paying yet more additional fees if I want to enjoy more content in the World of Warcraft universe that I assumed I was already paying for.

Thanks be to the fucking money sucks at Blizzard.

xabre said:
I eagerly anticipate the announcement of the World of Warcraft expansion pack. While I did pay full price for World of Warcraft as well as monthly fees to be allowed to play the game, I must express my delight at the prospect of paying yet more additional fees if I want to enjoy more content in the World of Warcraft universe that I assumed I was already paying for.

Thanks be to the fucking money sucks at Blizzard.

^^ New to the MMO genre. Major Expansions cost cash. :lol

Top Bottom