• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Mystics says, GoldenEye Xbox ports' FPS drops and Graphical issues are "authentic" to the N64 original.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...ims-issues-are-authentic-to-the-n64-original/
The studio behind the newly released version of GoldenEye 007 has claimed that some of the graphical and frame-rate issues reported by players were present in the original game.

Replying to a fan on Twitter, Canadian studio Code Mystics Inc. – which helped port the N64 title – claimed that due to the emulation technology used for the release, the issues present were already in the original code.

“Side effect of it being emulation is it picks up a few graphics quirks of the original. GoldenEye was breaking new territory on the N64.”

The company also claimed that the frame rate was “limited by the original ROM code”.

GoldenEye was released for Switch and Xbox consoles on Thursday evening, and since then the Xbox version in particular has been met with criticism from fans and members of the games media.

Digital Foundry’s John Linneman wrote on Twitter that there was “weirdness,” going on with the Xbox version of the release, in a tweet comparing the Xbox version with the N64 original.

In a reply to a reader, Linneman reiterated his criticism that the release has “a lot of issues with wobbling vertices and texture seams too.”

Code Mystics eventually responded, again claiming the issues were “authentic” to the N64 game.

“For better or worse, the occasional seams and Z fighting are authentic, not an emulation glitch. It’s just easier to see in HD. But glitches were checked against a real N64 during development. What remains were there too, just blurrier.”

Graslu00, a Goldeneye video creator and winner of the Goldeneye World Championships, commented on the port, highlighting the “disappointing 30FPS lock,” and “performance issues.”

In a reply to a viewer, they also agreed that the audio has issues, sounding “crunchy as hell.”

Original developer Rare previously said of the Xbox port: “The original experience has been updated with improved control options (including dual analogue stick support), native 16:9 resolution up to 4K Ultra HD (where supported), a consistent refresh rate and a full complement of achievements to unlock.”

The version of GoldenEye that was released for modern platforms is not the same as the cancelled Xbox 360 remaster that was leaked online in 2021.

Speaking for the first time to VGC in a GoldenEye Xbox interview in 2021, the canned Xbox 360 remaster’s co-directors said they didn’t think it would ever be officially released.

“It’s kind of bittersweet,” co-director Chris Tilston said of seeing the GoldenEye remaster leak into the public domain at the time.

While the game/port has been improved, most of it is still just based on the emulation of the N64 original. So all issues people are having are authentic, but just some of the problems are easier to see on clear Image HD TV's compared to the common SD TV from back when the original came out.

Article also mentions the cancelled 360 remaster.

Last edited:

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
I am inclined to believe them. However, it would not be out of order to ask for a CRT filter to put it into perspective and improve the experience the same way they have done for a number of other releases.

Last edited:

Quasicat

This is one of those games where we will probably never know all of the background deals that had to be made to make this a reality. I’m sure Microsoft wanted to release the superior 360 remake, but I’m also sure than Nintendo pushed for as much parity as possible. In fact, I’m betting there were so many concessions going on back and forth that it would have been easier to just get up from the table and walk away.
I wish/hope that this deal would lead to further cooperation between the two companies as I would love to be able to play Diddy Kong Racing on NSO, but with Conker being in it, I just don’t know.

This is one of those games where we will probably never know all of the background deals that had to be made to make this a reality. I’m sure Microsoft wanted to release the superior 360 remake, but I’m also sure than Nintendo pushed for as much parity as possible. In fact, I’m betting there were so many concessions going on back and forth that it would have been easier to just get up from the table and walk away.
I wish/hope that this deal would lead to further cooperation between the two companies as I would love to be able to play Diddy Kong Racing on NSO, but with Conker being in it, I just don’t know.
If this is the "deal" Nintendo was willing to do, why would Microsoft want to cooperate with Nintendo? "You can release Goldeneye, but it HAS to perform and look just as bad or worse as our version." I would have told Nintendo to shove it up their asses and then go to hell. I would probably do whatever I can to break the contract that allows them to have Banjo Kazooie on N64 online, and as a playable character in Smash, then hint that it was Nintendo's fault for that happening.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Don't be stupid, as if Microsoft/Nintendo paid for/commissioned a remake and they gave them this and they said alright, lmao. Code Mystics are great devs for emulated re-releases with a great track record. Of course that also depends on what they're hired to do and how they're told to do it.

Time is also a factor, this release seems to have had a quick turn around, Nintendo 64 emulators took decades to become decently accurate on PC (and most people still compare this to bad inaccurate emulators like Project 64 just because of the 60fps/mkb hacks because they don't know better).
Source? Why would Nintendo not want the remaster for themselves as well and just ask for it as part of the deal, so they could release both the original on their online service and the remake thing as a proper store release (or just on the service anyway), instead of block them from it?

It was an Xbox 360 game, not exactly impressive or unthinkable for the original Xbox even. Switch has improved ports and games that are beyond PS360, a port of a low end game like that seems viable with differences similar to this (a lower resolution basically) so with the same "parity".

I'd think it's just as likely both agreed they don't care for an all things considered low fi even for its time remake that is 2 (but looks 3, vs the original game's 4) generations removed and needs a remake itself plus costs to finish/port it since no team is fresh off the project so went with the rom.

Last edited:

Ansphn

Please someone please tell me the Nintendo Switch version does not run better than the Series X version.... 🤣

Quasicat

Please someone please tell me the Nintendo Switch version does not run better than the Series X version.... 🤣
I’ve played both up to the Surface 1 (snow) level and they run almost identically. At certain parts of the Dam level, the both had blue fog like the original, but the N64 seems more apparent. The frame rate is the same and the seams are more obvious on the Xbox. I’m betting the obvious seams are due to the higher resolution. They do play very similar, but I do prefer the dual stick configuration of the Xbox version.

Alexios

I do prefer the dual stick configuration of the Xbox version.
So configure Switch like that.

In the game set Control Style to 1.2, in the Switch OS remapping thing make a Goldeneye profile, switch left to right stick and vice versa, set ZR as ZL and set ZL as L. Optionally set L and R as A and B so you don't have to let go of the stick to use the face buttons as reload/interact & switch weapon.

The only difference is that the left stick will have digital controls (and I think you can also just use the d-pad instead with that scheme) which is fine just as WASD is fine for PC FPS games, you get your analog finesse etc. with the right stick anyway, not the move and strafe controls.

You need remapping like that to make most N64 games work nicer than their defaults which awkwardly try to map the N64 pad to a modern pad and work better for some games and worse for others. Same as folks remap them when emulating the games on PC.

I guess they could put the options in the N64 game settings but since Switch already has the functionality it's not really necessary.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The big story here shouldn't be MS lack of effort (since they had no choice).
There's only one finger to be pointed here and it's directly at Nintendo. Otherwise we'd all be playing the remaster online on xbox live right now. (Or even years ago)

Alexios

The big story here shouldn't be MS lack of effort (since they had no choice).
There's only one finger to be pointed here and it's directly at Nintendo. Otherwise we'd all be playing the remaster online on xbox live right now. (Or even years ago)
You keep saying this out of your headcanon. Source? Switch can easily run an Xbox 360 game that looks worse than an Xbox game so they could have just asked for that as part of the deal and enjoy the same parity as now, ie just lower resolution on Switch. Maybe MS didn't wanna give that?

Maybe they both decided an outdated looking remake that looks at best a little newer than the 3-4 gens removed original and needs $ to finish/port and needs a remake itself if it's to cater to people who want good graphics isn't worth it vs paying Code Mystics peanuts to emulate the rom?

Last edited:

Ge Os

CodeMystics is a great team. I had the pleasure of working with them for a translation of another of their ports, and I know how much care they put into each proyect.
I also know that they DO THE JOB THEY'RE ASKED FOR, so that's that.

If MS/Nintendo asked for a port, that's what they did. Implementing anything else is out of the question unless is directly asked by the IP/game owners. QOL features and stuff like CRT filters could be a thing if demand enough.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
CodeMystics is a great team. I had the pleasure of working with them for a translation of another of their ports, and I know how much care they put into each proyect.
I also know that they DO THE JOB THEY'RE ASKED FOR, so that's that.

If MS/Nintendo asked for a port, that's what they did. Implementing anything else is out of the question unless is directly asked by the IP/game owners. QOL features and stuff like CRT filters could be a thing if demand enough.
Still their name attached to it..
not like someone held them at gunpoint..

This is like saying any actor in hollywood should just pick up any random shitty roles in movies because money.

If this is the "deal" Nintendo was willing to do, why would Microsoft want to cooperate with Nintendo? "You can release Goldeneye, but it HAS to perform and look just as bad or worse as our version." I would have told Nintendo to shove it up their asses and then go to hell. I would probably do whatever I can to break the contract that allows them to have Banjo Kazooie on N64 online, and as a playable character in Smash, then hint that it was Nintendo's fault for that happening.
I wondered this, but maybe after an eternity of no Goldeneye, perhaps this is seen as a stepping stone. Once it's out there and proven to be of no interest to Nintendo's customers in this horrid state, MS can release a remake with multiplayer.

Alexios

Still their name attached to it..
not like someone held them at gunpoint..

This is like saying any actor in hollywood should just pick up any random shitty roles in movies because money.
That's what actors do, until that one role that puts them on the map and gives them enough money to be able to pick and choose without worrying about keeping the lights on they do any shit commercial or whatever gig pays. Granted less if they're from some well off family of actors obviously.

But Code Mystics' specialty is inherently niche so save for getting partnered with Nightdive longterm or something as unlikely they need any job, it's not like that one great release of KoF '98 UM FE somehow pays them enough to not need work until someone else with an equal offer comes along.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

You keep saying this out of your headcanon. Source? Switch can easily run an Xbox 360 game that looks worse than an Xbox game so they could have just asked for that as part of the deal and enjoy the same parity as now, ie just lower resolution on Switch. Maybe MS didn't wanna give that?

Maybe they both decided an outdated looking remake that looks at best a little newer than the 3-4 gens removed original and needs $ to finish/port and needs a remake itself if it's to cater to people who want good graphics isn't worth it vs paying Code Mystics peanuts to emulate the rom?

Headcanon or deduction based on very obvious facts. I can't be responsible for your extreme level of denial. I mean there's a chance the moon landing was fake too, right?

It's also clear you never played the remake, it's 99% done. Both companies wanted the worse version? Do you even read what you are posting?

Alexios

Headcanon or deduction based on very obvious facts. I can't be responsible for your extreme level of denial. I mean there's a chance the moon landing was fake too, right?

It's also clear you never played the remake, it's 99% done. Both companies wanted the worse version? Do you even read what you are posting?
More headcanon, assumptions and ad hominem like how I haven't played it (which has nothing to do with anything I said anyway) without me even commenting on its quality or saying it's half finished. I didn't give a percentage so your 99% (for 360, not a port to XS and Switch) doesn't go against what I said. Great obvious fact checking/recognizing, lol, keep it up, going lalala and repeating your headcanon makes it all true. The more you froth and try to insult others the truer it is, that's how it works. I played it, it was neat but I deleted it after that yet keep the original for emulation with less bugs, charming janky actor likeness, moving skies/clouds/seas and the N64 limits in mind, the new graphics didn't do much for me either (as I prefer Halo vs the remake, even though you can switch to that on the fly it still misses things in the original and makes itself pointless), but it's irrelevant 🤡

Last edited:

Three

It's probably true to the originals framerate drops because they just use an authentic N64 emulator that even has some extra hitches not seen on the N64 release rather than remake the game. which is fair enough, that's cheaper and more useful than a full remake.

Last edited:

Banned
they had no issue altering the gameplay and increasing the resolution dramatically, but take issue with fixing some of the unwanted hardware related issues the game had?

fatmarco

I mean this is literally all Nintendo's fault.

You have a perfect, upgraded port made by the original developer where you can flip graphics from remastered to original just sitting there for over a bloody decade, with two out of three key parties, Activision and Microsoft, happy with it, and still Nintendo has to fuck it up.

I mean look at that remaster. All the problems this version has were already resolved 10 years ago, yet they've been resurrected due to completely arbitrary decision making by Nintendo. And even the N64 ROM running through Retroarch on the Series X doesn't have these issues lol.

They're a bunch backward buffoons.

Last edited:

Banned

You have a perfect, upgraded port made by the original developer where you can flip graphics from remastered to original just sitting there for over a bloody decade, with two out of three key parties, Activision and Microsoft, happy with it, and still Nintendo has to fuck it up.

I mean look at that remaster. All the problems this version has were already resolved 10 years ago, yet they've been resurrected due to completely arbitrary decision making by Nintendo.

I hope someone uses the decompiled version that people are currently working on and ports the 360 assets version over to the Xbox One/Series X as a homebrew port.
after it is decompiled it should be no issue to replace assets, lock it to 60fps and keep it more true to the original in terms of gameplay as well

Last edited:

JonSnowball

Who made this version ?

Rare developed the ill-fated XBLA remaster. If you'd like to play that remaster on PC with a mouse and keyboard setup, it functions perfectly in the Xenia emulator. Here's a fork of it that has custom tailored support for GoldenEye XBLA, but you have to provide your own copy of the game (hint: it's on Internet Archive.)

If you go down that path, or simply use Xenia to play with a controller, you'll also be wanting the community patcher that fixes the leaked release up

Enjoy.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

I mean look at that remaster. All the problems this version has were already resolved 10 years ago, yet they've been resurrected due to completely arbitrary decision making by Nintendo. And even the N64 ROM running through Retroarch on the Series X doesn't have these issues lol.

Alexious just says its headcanon and assumptions to say this, so it must be so, despite all evidence to the contrary.

CGNoire

.....and yet the PC has had a 60fps emulated version (1964 emulator branch) for both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark forever now. Lazy ass shit.

Banjo64

cumsessed
It doesn't feel right, I've only played Dam and Facility last night but the framerate is smooth and then there will be one big fuck off judder. Happened fairly regularly. Sort it out please.

Banjo64

cumsessed

That's nothing but speculation. I see no reason why Nintendo would have any oversight over the technical performance of the Xbox port. Xbox upscaled the resolution so why can they do that if Nintendo are such all-controlling dickheads?

This sounds like one of the most disappointing releases to me personally. I loved Goldeneye but there’s no way I’d revisit it on a modern system with all the problems the N64 version had. Granted I put up with them at the time, but I kind of expected this to run at 60fps minimum on Xbox and Switch.

Filben

Okay, so why should I pay them then if I can go for even more authenticity by playing my N64 version? Or emulate it myself on PC?

Drell

Its because of Nintendo
The thing is what we have here is an emulated version on both consoles. One has higher resolution, the other don't. Both have the original shitty framrate. Why would Nintendo allow the better resolution and not the framerate?

And also why would they care about technical aspects when what they obviously wanted to secure was exclusive online play?

Banned
The thing is what we have here is an emulated version on both consoles. One has higher resolution, the other don't. Both have the original shitty framrate. Why would Nintendo allow the better resolution and not the framerate?

And also why would they care about technical aspects when what they obviously wanted to secure was exclusive online play?

1: both versions run at higher resolutions than the original

2: Nintendo has Online Play because their N64 emulator has network play like many emulators do, while the Xbox version uses a different one... Nintendo has nothing to do with the fact that the Xbox version has no online MP, the reason that it is that way is because the emulator doesn't support it

3: how would it look like if Microsoft released a full remaster while Nintendo only had an emulated ROM on a sub-par emulator?

the real question is why Microsoft didn't just port the Xbox 360 version over to the Switch and release that one on both. did Nintendo not want that? did they somehow throw away the source code? was there some license issues with assets used in that version? maybe another studio helped and made the situation even more complicated?

it's weird

Last edited:

Fredrik

the real question is why Microsoft didn't just port the Xbox 360 version over to the Switch and release that one on both. did Nintendo not want that? did they somehow throw away the source code? was there some license issues with assets used in that version? maybe another studio helped and made the situation even more complicated?

it's weird
Why don’t they’ve just make Silvereye with protag Jim Bond and do new maps and crank up the visuals to insanity on UE5?
Cancelling a game because of licensing concerns makes no sense.

Top Bottom