• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty Discusses Microsoft vs. Sony Acquisition Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
Bruh…u gud?

we found the IGN fan!
white teeth troll GIF

also that dude gave Killzone Mercenary a batter review than Wolfenstein The New Order, he clearly can't be taken seriously!

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Don’t try and skip the original point I was making about TR timed exclusivity.

As if that’s any way worse than buying an entire publisher.
Well you ignored my point, too. Xbox already had those games but those games didn't count because every system had them. Now they will count when people talk about the Xbox library.

Your original point isn't the point of why Microsoft did it. Yeah, those games were on Xbox but they weren't why people buy Xbox. Now they will be why Bethesda or Id fans without a capable PC buy Xbox and/or why they buy Game Pass. It's that simple.

It's really not much different than Sony buying exclusively of popular games like Street Fighter V or the KOTOR remake. It's rumored they were trying to buy exclusivity for Starfield when Microsoft bought Zenimax. Sony is buying studios as well. It's how they're securimg their future.

junguler

Banned
sometimes it's hard to differentiate when someone is passionate about something and when they are crying, this was not one of those situations.

consider yourself virtually kicked in the nuts by me for that...

I'm quite critical of both H4 and 5 but 4's campaign (with massive exceptions like repeated Warden and bullet sponges on legendary) was solid in terms of things like graphics, story via terminals bring so much lore together, a number of levels had CE-esque gameplay etc. Halo 5's campaign story sucked but there was some real merit to what 343 developed and support with the multiplayer side, both arena and social/warzone/firefight or the networking quality of 5's coop campaign . Do I consider them the best games in the series? No. Did they make solid work and games with those aspects for 4 & 5? Yes. Did they sustain over years of free content to become games I wanted to keep revisiting? Yes. The grunt mech alone will always have a place in my Halo heart. Breakout was shite. Anyhow enough Halo for this thread.

He's sounding like a complete fanboy, and getting caught in his feelings. And he got SO many things wrong in the span of simply two minutes, it's amazing how much people letting their feelings get the better of them lead them to idiotic hot takes.

First thing he gets wrong is the notion Sony's acquisitions (or before those became the new hotness, content exclusivity purchases) haven't hurt competitors is flat-out wrong. Dunno how long the dude has been gaming, but did he just forget about how Sony entered the industry? They essentially swiped away companies like Namco from SEGA, and Square-Enix from Nintendo (no I'm not talking about them like they were 2P devs or in the case of Namco, particularly close to SEGA. But these were still 3P companies with working relationships with Nintendo & SEGA) Yes, both of those platform holders had their own issues going on that made it easier for Sony to get their support, but they absolutely took advantage of that (and Sony's own financial and technical resources) to the detriment of two other competitors. Sony poaching marketing and business talent from SEGA of America and SEGA of Europe were also deliberate moves that hurt competitors.

He's so hung up over acquisitions when all his "concerns" can be made about the exclusivity contracts Sony signed in the late '90s swiping away support from Nintendo and SEGA platforms. But guess what? It'd still come as just as bitchy because these companies are merely doing BUSINESS and leveraging their advantages, whatever they may be. Now, I'm not saying the dude is 100% wrong; there's a definite reason Microsoft are making these purchases and it's to resolve the issue with 1P content. But you don't get to turn around and criticize them for leveraging their financial wealth (something that, again, Sony did in the mid-90s as they entered the industry, and CONTINUED to do with the PS2, etc.) while supposedly being enough of an expert on the industry to know how long it takes to build teams internally yet pretend that is Microsoft's only option in this instance. Because if that were their only option, Xbox would be dead, and they'd have no 1P content coming for the entire generation of a high AAA quality.

So in a way it just sounds like his "concerns" are a means of boxing Microsoft into a corner where they simply can't compete unless they meet some stupid ethical check of his, but these companies don't give a rat's ass about some person's feelings on their business decisions, especially when those business decisions aren't violating any laws. It's always funny when people like Colin and countless others make these talks into ethical discussions, because unless you can provide concrete proof of anyone's human or civil rights being violated in the process of these acquisitions, as a direct consequence of the acquisition...then your "hot take" doesn't really mean shit.

Also, this notion of a sea of "gamers" being mad if Microsoft were to buy another massive publisher, it doesn't actually exist. He's referring to PlayStation fanboys & fangirls, who are but a nonconsequential minority among the entire PlayStation userbase. The same goes for the Xbox fanboys/fangirls, and the Nintendo ones, too. Most gamers aren't so invested emotionally to literally get angry and hate a company for buying another company. They will simply...go where the games go. And we've seen this happen since decades ago. Did Nintendo fans curse Sony from the skies for getting Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest? No. They simply went and bought PS1s. Did SEGA fans despise Sony for locking up Tomb Raider 2, Resident Evil 2, the Tekken series etc.? No. They just went and purchased PS1s.

It's only the absolute fringe minority of actual fanboys/fangirls who are spiteful and childish enough to hate these companies for making common-sense business decisions best for their brands, to the point of attacking them daily and not supporting them. But given the rant from Colin and his panel here, maybe they're ironically outing themselves as those types of fanboys. Might not be the first time 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, I'm not gonna get worked up over any of these acquisition rumors. They all mean nothing to me until something either actually gets confirmed, or there's some undeniably strong evidence suggesting one is close to happening. Otherwise all I see are a bunch of console warriors hoping and dreaming of their favorite teams to get bought out by a platform holder. And you know what? That's really kinda sad. We've been going from people hoping a platform holder just continues to work with/partner with a developer on a game-by-game basis, to now hoping they outright buy the developer or even publisher. I've been seeing it a lot on social media these days; even on forums like GAF and Era there's some people who seem to clearly ask for an acquisition as if they're hoping for it, and some clever ones who try disguising it as otherwise well-written business theory.

I don't really know how we got here, and while it's easy to point the finger at Microsoft, the truth is that's just when a lot of gamers bothered to notice an acquisition in a way that mattered to them. Truth is these have been happening for many, many years, and will continue to happen going forward. I'm just gonna have fun gaming and watching where these chips land...and hire someone else to clean up any messes.

Last edited:

Banned
I'm quite critical of both H4 and 5 but 4's campaign (with massive exceptions like repeated Warden and bullet sponges on legendary) was solid in terms of things like graphics, story via terminals bring so much lore together, a number of levels had CE-esque gameplay etc. Halo 5's campaign story sucked but there was some real merit to what 343 developed and support with the multiplayer side, both arena and social/warzone/firefight or the networking quality of 5's coop campaign . Do I consider them the best games in the series? No. Did they make solid work and games with those aspects for 4 & 5? Yes. Did they sustain over years of free content to become games I wanted to keep revisiting? Yes. The grunt mech alone will always have a place in my Halo heart. Breakout was shite. Anyhow enough Halo for this thread.

Halo 4 and 5 have the worst campaigns of any Halo by a large margin. both are basically unplayable on Legendary for different reasons and the leveldesign in 4 was super narrow and lacked player expression.
Halo 5's enemy behavior was often simply badly designed, with the Hunters basically being unfair because you can literally not react to their attacks due to a missing windup animation every other iteration in the series had in order for you to have a fair chance to react to them.

and Halo 5's microtransactions fueld MP modes were a joke. they literally took away development focus and time from an actual big team battle mode, evidenced by the fact that there is not a single big team map in this game, neither was there even a mode on launch.

343i had miss after miss when it comes to Halo. the only good thing they ever did is the super late resurrection of the MCC. so their best work was fixing a broken product they fucked up at launch... not much of an accomplishment imo

Jesus, people still whine about Scalebound. The game looked like complete trash. Also people forget that almost all of Sonys big studios of today were purchased, not built from the ground up. Why is it a big deal for MS to do the same?

Banned
Jesus, people still whine about Scalebound. The game looked like complete trash. Also people forget that almost all of Sonys big studios of today were purchased, not built from the ground up. Why is it a big deal for MS to do the same?

sony bought them in the 90s and early 2000s so it's ok obviously lol

So much truth in this podcast clip. Microsoft seems to constantly show a precedent for not knowing how to manage teams and projects. They are gobbling up studios in the vacuum of their own failure on projects.

Sony starts dating 2nd party studios and slowly nurtures them to the point they are basically first party anyway and then opens their checkbook to put a ring on it and make it official. I don’t think this is very ”controversial” or a “problematic“ take….

It's controversial because it's not consistent. What has Sony done to nurture or grow Nixxes? Did we see people like Colin come out and complain about those, too? Why does the studio size, or the fact they may also be a publisher, suddenly become an arbitrary point to draw the line of the sand in? You've got people saying Insomniac was an absolute steal for Sony @ $225 million and that's an argument based on quality + consistency and frequency, not studio size or them being/not being a publisher, you'd think those metrics would've died off by now as factors.

He and his panel are basically fearmongering and it's based off of very little. A lot of the big bangers PS4 got last gen either had very little creative input from Sony studios or were only assisted by Sony in terms of financial funding for development, meaning those games don't fall too far from Microsoft's strategy that generation. Like I said, he isn't 100% wrong on everything; I think there is a question of management that should be addressed and I do think some people like Matt Booty specifically (and for 343i, Bonnie Ross) need to be held accountable. Even Phil probably deserves some of that blame, as games like Phantom Dust remake were cancelled under his watch (even if that's around the time he only just started managing the Xbox division as a whole).

But even so, it's like some people only want to focus on the glaring mistakes and not look at case examples of where Microsoft's involvement was actually helpful. Ori 1 & 2, Cuphead, Forza Horizon (and Playground Games in general), Asobo (with Flight Simulator 2020), even Double Fine with Psychonauts 2 (certain content like boss fights were not going to be there without MS's funding), etc.

That's why Colin and panel's frustration looks like the shitty hot-take it actually is.

Last edited:
Microsoft had published a Ninja Theory game and a couple of DoubleFine games in the past. Plus, Morrowind was only on Xbox and Oblivion was on Xbox for a full year before Playstation.

An Xbox sided video could say Microsoft built relationships with these studios over the years and brining them on board was an organic process.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

He's sounding like a complete fanboy, and getting caught in his feelings. And he got SO many things wrong in the span of simply two minutes, it's amazing how much people letting their feelings get the better of them lead them to idiotic hot takes.

First thing he gets wrong is the notion Sony's acquisitions (or before those became the new hotness, content exclusivity purchases) haven't hurt competitors is flat-out wrong. Dunno how long the dude has been gaming, but did he just forget about how Sony entered the industry? They essentially swiped away companies like Namco from SEGA, and Square-Enix from Nintendo (no I'm not talking about them like they were 2P devs or in the case of Namco, particularly close to SEGA. But these were still 3P companies with working relationships with Nintendo & SEGA) Yes, both of those platform holders had their own issues going on that made it easier for Sony to get their support, but they absolutely took advantage of that (and Sony's own financial and technical resources) to the detriment of two other competitors. Sony poaching marketing and business talent from SEGA of America and SEGA of Europe were also deliberate moves that hurt competitors.

He's so hung up over acquisitions when all his "concerns" can be made about the exclusivity contracts Sony signed in the late '90s swiping away support from Nintendo and SEGA platforms. But guess what? It'd still come as just as bitchy because these companies are merely doing BUSINESS and leveraging their advantages, whatever they may be. Now, I'm not saying the dude is 100% wrong; there's a definite reason Microsoft are making these purchases and it's to resolve the issue with 1P content. But you don't get to turn around and criticize them for leveraging their financial wealth (something that, again, Sony did in the mid-90s as they entered the industry, and CONTINUED to do with the PS2, etc.) while supposedly being enough of an expert on the industry to know how long it takes to build teams internally yet pretend that is Microsoft's only option in this instance. Because if that were their only option, Xbox would be dead, and they'd have no 1P content coming for the entire generation of a high AAA quality.

So in a way it just sounds like his "concerns" are a means of boxing Microsoft into a corner where they simply can't compete unless they meet some stupid ethical check of his, but these companies don't give a rat's ass about some person's feelings on their business decisions, especially when those business decisions aren't violating any laws. It's always funny when people like Colin and countless others make these talks into ethical discussions, because unless you can provide concrete proof of anyone's human or civil rights being violated in the process of these acquisitions, as a direct consequence of the acquisition...then your "hot take" doesn't really mean shit.

Also, this notion of a sea of "gamers" being mad if Microsoft were to buy another massive publisher, it doesn't actually exist. He's referring to PlayStation fanboys & fangirls, who are but a nonconsequential minority among the entire PlayStation userbase. The same goes for the Xbox fanboys/fangirls, and the Nintendo ones, too. Most gamers aren't so invested emotionally to literally get angry and hate a company for buying another company. They will simply...go where the games go. And we've seen this happen since decades ago. Did Nintendo fans curse Sony from the skies for getting Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest? No. They simply went and bought PS1s. Did SEGA fans despise Sony for locking up Tomb Raider 2, Resident Evil 2, the Tekken series etc.? No. They just went and purchased PS1s.

It's only the absolute fringe minority of actual fanboys/fangirls who are spiteful and childish enough to hate these companies for making common-sense business decisions best for their brands, to the point of attacking them daily and not supporting them. But given the rant from Colin and his panel here, maybe they're ironically outing themselves as those types of fanboys. Might not be the first time 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, I'm not gonna get worked up over any of these acquisition rumors. They all mean nothing to me until something either actually gets confirmed, or there's some undeniably strong evidence suggesting one is close to happening. Otherwise all I see are a bunch of console warriors hoping and dreaming of their favorite teams to get bought out by a platform holder. And you know what? That's really kinda sad. We've been going from people hoping a platform holder just continues to work with/partner with a developer on a game-by-game basis, to now hoping they outright buy the developer or even publisher. I've been seeing it a lot on social media these days; even on forums like GAF and Era there's some people who seem to clearly ask for an acquisition as if they're hoping for it, and some clever ones who try disguising it as otherwise well-written business theory.

I don't really know how we got here, and while it's easy to point the finger at Microsoft, the truth is that's just when a lot of gamers bothered to notice an acquisition in a way that mattered to them. Truth is these have been happening for many, many years, and will continue to happen going forward. I'm just gonna have fun gaming and watching where these chips land...and hire someone else to clean up any messes.

IDappa

Colin has been pretty critical of Sony lately too. I disagree with a lot of what he's saying these days tbh. I'm not sure if he's really reading the situation correctly from the perspective of each entity and what their long term goals are, which can be quite different.
I more so ment in this clip granted it is short, so that's my mistake. I haven't listened to sacred symbols lately so he may of been a bit more critical of Sony there.

I see Microsoft trying to do now what Sony has done in the past with their studios. The main difference of gamepass and company's such as Google and Amazon getting into gaming.

II will also say that I do not think Microsoft is perfect as they have released some shitters like crackdown and definitely need to improve in some departments.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I'm going to agree, buying a multiplatform publisher and buying a game studio is an exactly different situation.

Majority of Sony game studio was already working on several playstation games before Sony acquire them.

So far, Microsoft had acquire Zenimax, a multiplatform publisher. Ok its fine because they do have a good relationship with Bethesda long time ago.

However, if Microsoft acquire another multiplatform publisher, this would contradict with Phil Spender argument on exclusivity and Jim Ryan's "tribalism", although the practice is not illegal of course.

We shall see.

Last edited:

NewYork214

Didn't read all the comments so sorry if repeating stuff. I hate these big acquisitions, but I view these purchases just because xbox needs to pad gamepass. Look what is happening with Netflix. All the production houses (disney, paramount, etc) are making their own streaming services. Which results in Netflix losing all their content, like the office, friends, etc. Now Netflix is in a mad rush creating non stop content to pad their service.

Microsoft needs IPs. Plain and simple.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Article makes no sense at all, why on the earth is it "bad business" for ms to try and improve in the area they are/were most weak in? 🤔

Neither Sony nor Microsoft have released a single true next gen game, and people are already having a meltdown.
The gen has just started, we need at least 2 or 3 years before we get to judge both companies fairly.

Meanwhile, buy a Nintendo Switch and have fun.

Possibly next year for me, but not that ripoff that's the OLED. It'd be nice if Switch 2 came out then because I'd just get that instead, but I'll prob get a Switch Lite.

Anyway on topic, Colin let his passion get him too angry here and it blindsided his rationality. Same for the other two on the panel. He's acting as if Microsoft are simply buying to buy for the sake of burning money, or that they've borne no ripe fruit from any acquisition, or haven't worked with studios in partnerships in the past (or even recently).

Yes he's right that their acquisitions are in part a response for dropping the ball 1P-wise last gen and not investing enough in 1P studios or games, but he's acting as if Microsoft aren't investing in those 1P studios anymore, or that they're just purchasing studios to sit there and not help them grow from that point on internally? When we've literally been seeing them do just that.

All that said, if he's this upset over a major acquisition and he's seemingly connected to people in the industry, has he by chance heard of something potentially going down that made him go on this commentary? It just seems weird it's come out of the blue when there's been no strong substantial rumors the past few weeks. Any chance it has to do with Crystal Dynamics?

ZehDon

I can't falt his scepticism; Xbox where in a bad spot for a long time. With what said, comparing the Xbone generation to the current Series console generation is a bit of a false equivalency. They're very clearly doing things differently now.

Mattrick decimated Microsoft's first party studios during his tenure, and all but destroyed the brand. It took virtually all of last gen to get the stink off. I could argue they didn't make ground until the Xbox One X dropped. Spencer did the best he could with what he had, and kept Xbox in the game against beast-mode Sony. Given that Xbox had basically, what, three functioning development studios? That's no small feat: the PS4 is a fucking juggernaut with a murders row of titles and Sony's "4 The Players" game plan was untouchable. Sony earned their victory and delivered an amazing generation.

But discounting all the ground that Microsoft have clearly made because "Crackdown 3 and Scalebound" feels a little click bait to me.

If you wanted Xbox to compete with Sony this generation, to start putting out quality hits now, how could they do that without an acquisition? They couldn't. So, the acquisition of Bethesda makes sense. Studios like Double Fine? That's your growth, your experimentation, your organic creatives given room.

I'm all for maintaining a critical eye, but claiming that Xbox under Spencer is the same as Xbox under Mattrick is simply disingenuous.

They own like 30 studios now and employ over 3,000 people just on games. But they decided to ask Crystal Dynamics for help, input and expertise. A studio busy patching The Awenchairs, working on GOTG and prolly some unknown new game too.
It's almost as if Gallaghar had a choice in arranging a studio to partner with and decided to go with the one he's worked with and led in the past, and has most of his connections with?

But no, I guess it's better to assume they're outright scrambling and any one of the other teams are fully free to do whatever. Guess CD somehow managed to get budget for yet another new game even when Avengers lost SE $100 million, when Days Gone made Sony quite a few $$ and they couldn't grant Bend the honor of a sequel :/.

C'mon...

Both of their take is so stupid and one sided and they leave out all of the mismanagement with Sony studios shut downs and second party mishaps. To paint a narrative about Microsoft that’s not completely true at all. Guy doesn’t complain when Spider-Man wolverine gets locked to one platform but complains every time something goes to the other side.

I'm the vgbtq imposter. I was trying to get the best graphics and to prove i was great, I flashed a 3080 gtx straight from its case. I went to the game show and there they were showing all types of games.

Microsoft, PC and Sony said whose graphics were the best.

And i said that they were all bad.

Last edited:

saintjules

Gold again buddy. Keep it going!

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I haven't read the responses in this thread yet, but I did listen to the first three sentences Colin said.

PLEASE tell me NeoGAF is eviscerating such stupid comments. Colin says batshit insane things almost on the weekly now.

Possibly next year for me, but not that ripoff that's the OLED. It'd be nice if Switch 2 came out then because I'd just get that instead, but I'll prob get a Switch Lite.

Anyway on topic, Colin let his passion get him too angry here and it blindsided his rationality. Same for the other two on the panel. He's acting as if Microsoft are simply buying to buy for the sake of burning money, or that they've borne no ripe fruit from any acquisition, or haven't worked with studios in partnerships in the past (or even recently).

Yes he's right that their acquisitions are in part a response for dropping the ball 1P-wise last gen and not investing enough in 1P studios or games, but he's acting as if Microsoft aren't investing in those 1P studios anymore, or that they're just purchasing studios to sit there and not help them grow from that point on internally? When we've literally been seeing them do just that.

All that said, if he's this upset over a major acquisition and he's seemingly connected to people in the industry, has he by chance heard of something potentially going down that made him go on this commentary? It just seems weird it's come out of the blue when there's been no strong substantial rumors the past few weeks. Any chance it has to do with Crystal Dynamics?

dunno, maybe he has heard something but Crystal Dynamics isn’t big enough to be meltdown inducing

Bryank75

Banned
MSFT never needed so many studios.... nobody has 23+ studios.

If they managed what they had originally properly, the purchases would never have been necessary and more people would enjoy the games all those studios make.

Due to Xbox Studios poor performance, they went out and bought about 15 studios when counting all Zenimax studios seperately.

Yet.... they still needed to go out and get CD to help with The Initiative, resulting in yet another studio not making a multiplatform game.

Then Xbox fans, not even a year after the Zenimax buyout and with little to nothing in terms of good games produced yet....are already foaming at the mouth for another major / publisher acquisition...... is it really about games for these people? Or is there a certain joy in the mostly negative effect of these moves??

Simple fact is that Xbox and MSFT lack the competencies to run such studios. There is a reason so many of their projects fell apart and the rest only ever resulted in mediocrity.

The end result will be a lot of closed studios and IP's locked away for decades.

Where is Banjo? Conker? Jet Force Gemini? Killer Instinct 2?

They already had Obsidian and a historically strong shooter in Halo..... they never needed Zenimax and they have absolutely no need to go out and buy WB Studios.... they already have IP's in all of those areas.

Why can Sony make it work with no WRPG, no big fighting game and no big exclusive FPS???
Answer that!
10 billion in studios acquisitions didn't turn things around and now people think 30+ Billion might? is it? LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom