• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty has heard there will be another Playstation showcase later this year

yurinka

Yeah, sure. Why only one more? Hey guys my uncle works at Sony and they have 25 showcases more coming this year!

Now seriously, it won't happen but I'd make this meaty TGS State of Play:
  • Wolverine gameplay debut
  • Death Stranding 2 gameplay debut
  • Rise of the Ronin new trailer
  • New Onimusha game announced
  • Pragmata gameplay reveal
  • Final Fantasy VII Rebirth gameplay reveal
  • Silent Hill The Short Message announcement (available now!)
  • GoT & Bloodborne PC ports coming later this fiscal year
  • PSVR2: Street Fighter 6 limited PSVR2 support announced
  • PSVR2: Team Asobi's next game announced (PSVR2 not required)
  • Fumito Ueda's next game announcement
  • Slitterhead new trailer & release date
  • Cory's (SP non GaaS, PS5 only) new IP announced with a gameplay trailer

Last edited:

Calverz

Hey Colin,

Nubulax

Dream on bitches. Thats it for a while.
Your totally right. After Spiderman Releases they are only going to have Wolverine, Haven and Firewalks CGI game announcements and Marathon CGI for 2024 and beyond. I think that would be a massive L if they go into 2024 with literally just that from all of first party known

Ansphn

Didn't he also say there was a Bloodborne remake? Unless he's talking about the Spiderman 2 State of Play.

Nubulax

I mean,

We seem to hold ourselves to this notion that Sony would only hold one Showcase based on historical trends, but COVID very clearly upended a lot of things.

That being said, Sony has FF16 in a few weeks and Spider-Man 2 coming in the Fall(I'm guessing September or October).

It's pretty clear that folks(even outside of GAF) weren't particularly fond of this Showcase, but I don't think throwing down bigger guns would hurt either one of those games sales-wise, so I question why they "held back" according to sources.

Only plausible explanation I could think of is they want to "retaliate" for lack of a better term after Microsoft's showcase, but I don't really see it.

FF7 Rebirth was also date late 2023/early 2024 and Stellar Blade supposed to be 2023 along with Helldivers in 2023 although not first party stuff. Silent Hill ALSO I think has been heavily rumored to be Fall 2023. I was expecting alot more 1st party stuff but honestly if you look at the rest of this year it is absolutely jam packed with games to play that it would make sense to do a show with marketing obligations to 3rd party now with a few 1st party and then more a 1st party focused show in the fall/winter

Last edited:
Yeah it took them 18 months to have a showcase then magically another one in less than 6 months…. Makes total sense.

sarcastic sarcasm GIF
It's possible. The showed over 30 games, but didn't show any of the projects we know are in the works from Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Guerilla Games, Santa Monica, Housemarque, Bluepoint or Team Asobi. Insomniac has Wolverine, as well.

They likely still have more than enough to fill another showcase, plus third-party deals like SquareEnix with Final Fantasy VII Rebirth and Dragon Quest XII.

Last edited:
It doesn’t make sense, if the games weren’t ready to be shown at the first showcase, why would they be ready to show all of a sudden in a couple months from now.

People just got to move on, so many games are releasing this year who really cares about a showcase of games we most likely won’t get until next year or years from now.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Boy, PlayStation Nation is clinging to the second GPU in the power supply.

State of Play? Certainly.
December PlayStation event? Quite possibly.
E3 2: The One with all the Real Games? Nope.
More "Jim Ryan wants to make a statement - make noise. I heard Sony's showcase set up Phase 2!" rumours actually coming true? Not a snowball's chance in hell.

Last edited:

kaizenkko

People like to deceive themselves, lol. Don't you get tired of believing in "insiders"? How many of those didn't say last week's showcase was going to be amazing? And how it really was?

After the last showcase I sincerely hope Sony never does one again, last year's State of Play were much better.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I don't know why people are expecting a showcase because of a slim console. What is there to show? It will have the same controllers, same price and a slightly different, but still fucking ugly, look to it. It is not something existing owners will get excited about.

I am still confused by the anger too. Sony doesn't release a lot of games in a given year. FFXVI is playing the role of Horizon to Spider-Man's GoW this year. At least these games are not also last gen. From what I can recall, PS4 was just as bad.

Thanks for sourcing ILP

I've checked out their podcast a few times and every time I think "this is the best gaming podcast i think I've ever heard" ..but a lot of these podcasts are just too long.
I've seen entertaining clips from a bunch of podcasts (including ILP) I've skimmed through but I never caught the moments as they happen because my commute is over and/or I have other stuff to do.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Sony does whatever the fuck they want and have been doing that for a while now.

As someone with a Playstation, I have no expectations from them. They will either surprise me or do something that I don't give a shit about. That is the key to being surprised (or not being disappointed).

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Well it seems to me we know Sony have a bunch of first and third party studios working on stuff that has already been announced, or we know has been in the works for awhile, so why couldn't they do another showcase?

I mean, wasn't the reason people were supposedly pissed with the showcase foe that they didn't give updates on all this known or expected stuff?

Or are we supposed to believe that everything is delayed or cancelled?

Woopah

It's possible. The showed over 30 games, but didn't show any of the projects we know are in the works from Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Guerilla Games, Santa Monica, Housemarque, Bluepoint or Team Asobi. Insomniac has Wolverine, as well.

They likely still have more than enough to fill another showcase, plus third-party deals like SquareEnix with Final Fantasy VII Rebirth and Dragon Quest XII.
Its definitely possible, but I'd say that the big 3 always have enough content to fill a showcase. Therefore it doesn't really tell us anything about when one will be announced.

EDMIX

or they are having dev issues.

Not likely.

It can happen sure, but the reason we are not seeing all those games right now has more to do with a policy and marketing thing, then a development thing. For a while now they've had this drip feed marketing type shotgun approach and it has worked out very well for them. How they launched PS5 with that Wired article and then showing the controller randomly and then randomly telling us Demon Souls Remake would be at launch.

So I think they understand that gamers care about what they can play on the horizon and telling them YEARS in advance maybe isn't the best choice. The combo they've been doing since maybe 2017 or so has been

Market big AAA game (God Of War, Horizon etc)
tease other AAA projects (The Last Of Us 2, Ghost Of Tsushima)
Release big AAA project God Of War, Horizon
Market big AAA game (The Last Of Us 2, Ghost Of Tsushima)
Release big AAA project

etc.

I think they feel putting all their weight on the next big project and then slowly go from teaser, to trailer of new game, release the current AAA title that year and then the other new game gets more coverage.

I don't see how this combo can hurt them mind you as gamers care about whats coming up, like Spiderman 2, it makes sense to release that and THEN start a bigger marketing push for Death Stranding 2 or something. So i don't think you are seeing any of this based on some development issues as they've made clear about how they are marketing

I actually think this does make sense. Why would you have a showcase for 3rd party games but not show off your stable of esteemed studios?? Maybe because it’s too early to show anything or maybe because they do have a whole separate showcase planned.
So while your opponent is the laughingstock of the internet you decide to announce a showcase less than a month before theirs and purposefully make it awful and take all attention away from Microsoft’s failures…..because?…..”they are gonna be shocked when we have another one by September!!!! We were just holding back the real showcase!!!!!”

Just seems like copium tbh

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Not likely.

It can happen sure,
yep.

but the reason we are not seeing all those games right now has more to do with a policy and marketing thing, then a development thing. For a while now they've had this drip feed marketing type shotgun approach and it has worked out very well for them. How they launched PS5 with that Wired article and then showing the controller randomly and then randomly telling us Demon Souls Remake would be at launch.
i mean, COVID was a thing during 2020- 2021-2022 and I bet the alignment of the console release affected the marketing.

So I think they understand that gamers care about what they can play on the horizon and telling them YEARS in advance maybe isn't the best choice. The combo they've been doing since maybe 2017 or so has been

Market big AAA game (God Of War, Horizon etc)
tease other AAA projects (The Last Of Us 2, Ghost Of Tsushima)
Release big AAA project God Of War, Horizon
Market big AAA game (The Last Of Us 2, Ghost Of Tsushima)
Release big AAA project
I think recent sony (Second half of PS4 until this recent showcase)

has never used straight-up CGI trailers to reveal a game.

Wolverine was a CGI in-engine glorifed Title-card.

TLoU Part 2 was revealed way too soon in that PSX event.

Death Stranding had like 3 big "cinematic shorts" before seeing gameplay for several years.

so no, this idea of sony revealing and market games closer to relase is false.

I think they feel putting all their weight on the next big project and then slowly go from teaser, to trailer of new game, release the current AAA title that year and then the other new game gets more coverage.

I don't see how this combo can hurt them mind you as gamers care about whats coming up, like Spiderman 2, it makes sense to release that and THEN start a bigger marketing push for Death Stranding 2 or something. So i don't think you are seeing any of this based on some development issues as they've made clear about how they are marketing
the reality of the matter is that sony didn't have a showcase for like 2 years...then they did with only 4 First Party games

3 multiplatform /MP-GaaS CGI teasers
1 single player with gameplay✅...But no release date.

and by looking at the reaction all over internet, this showcase was a disaster.

then the news of deviation, Pixel Opus and Naugthy Dog.

so, right now PlayStation's vibes are uncertain at best.

worrying at worst. (which explains this push for sony has another Showcase later this year)

EDMIX

TLoU Part 2 was revealed way too soon in that PSX event.

Don't take the exact games I used as a literal thing, as if I'm telling that is how those exact games were revealed and released lol

so no, this idea of sony revealing and market games closer to relase is false.

Yea...those examples are not to be taken as a literally, that was simply showing you how they are doing the combo regarding marketing and reveal. God Of War and Horizon Zero Dawn did not get released the same year lol, that is just an example lol

Demon Souls remake released the year of its reveal
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart revealed 2020, released 2021
GT7 was announced 2020, released early 2022
Horizon 2 revealed 2020, released early 2022

That example was merely to show how the combo is not, The Last Of Us 2 where revealed and released quickly or something lol

So around 2016-2017 you saw Sony doing this.

Spiderman's reveal was summer 2016, release 2018
God Of War's reveal trailer was summer 2016, release 2018
Days Gone reveal was 2016, had issues with development and released 2019. (So you can see they had a plan to do this around that time vs what they were doing earlier with reveals like The Last Of Us 2 or even Ghost Of Tsushima and some others)

So around this time, its clear something changes with how they plan to market, you start to see this combo of teaser, big trailer, release, teaser, big trailer, release etc as they release a big AAA title, they move the marketing to another AAA title that was teased prior and repeat. Around then is when you see them no longer looking to reveal something 4 or 5 years out.

At most you get a teaser.

So it wouldn't shock me that you see

Spiderman 2 release
full trailer and marketing push Death Stranding 2
teaser Sony Santa Monica new IP
Death Stranding 2 release
full trailer and marketing push Sony Santa Monica new IP
New IP release

etc.

I think they only wish to start a full marketing campaign, when they have completed one and then start to push the new marketing on the next big AAA game set to release that year, its why we are seeing all this info on Spiderman 2.

(Edit, and my god, I don't industry advice from "da inTernEtz saIDz tWaz bAdz" theses are the same people telling us Call Of Duty and AC will flop and disappear)

Why would Spiderman 2 flop, cause you didn't fucking hear about it in 2019? 2020? Who cares? lol Why would that stop 25 million from buying that shit THIS YEAR? You don't even know of the next COD until the very year and drops and it moves record units. So...I hate to break to folks crying over this fucking shit, I don't see much evidence that you NEEEED to know about it 5, 6 or 7 years in advance for it to move units or something.

Last edited:
Lol when all else fails just wish one into existence. They’re just trying to pressure Sony into doing another one it’s so stupid. Sony has to pivot and do these live service games. They understand that need to compete with Microsoft in a post world if they get call of duty. They want to make that cod money another way if it really does fund their other games. It said in their slide they’re only going to be doing 2 single player games a year.

Rac3r

Yeah, sure. Why only one more? Hey guys my uncle works at Sony and they have 25 showcases more coming this year!

Now seriously, it won't happen but I'd make this meaty TGS State of Play:
  • Wolverine gameplay debut
  • Death Stranding 2 gameplay debut
  • Rise of the Ronin new trailer
  • New Onimusha game announced
  • Pragmata gameplay reveal
  • Final Fantasy VII Rebirth gameplay reveal
  • Silent Hill The Short Message announcement (available now!)
  • GoT & Bloodborne PC ports coming later this fiscal year
  • PSVR2: Street Fighter 6 limited PSVR2 support announced
  • PSVR2: Team Asobi's next game announced (PSVR2 not required)
  • Fumito Ueda's next game announcement
  • Slitterhead new trailer & release date
  • Cory's (SP non GaaS, PS5 only) new IP announced with a gameplay trailer

I hope Sony offers assistance on Ueda’s next game (if he wants it) for old times sake. That man takes his sweet time but always produces timeless art.

yurinka

I hope Sony offers assistance on Ueda’s next game (if he wants it) for old times sake. That man takes his sweet time but always produces timeless art.
Sony invested a ton of money on Epic, so I assume Sony may get preference to get a marketing deal or maybe even a timed console exclusive.

I'd bet that if good, PlayStation Indies will try to get some deal and will support it with their marketing channels. I think Epic already will provide them anything else the team may need.

One person doesn't make games, he worked with many talented people at Sony, including the ones who had to go fix and complete the development of The Last Guardian after kicking him out.

He'll have to prove that he can do great games without most of his former coworkers. And well, we'll see if Epic has the patience that Sony had.

Last edited:

Lupin25

or they are having dev issues.

Maybe, but that all depends on the dev.

Naughty Dog, for example, have a proven track record. The game could be amazing, but its long-term success as a live-service game may not be viable, so 2 things can be true here.

As a high quality single-player dev, they’re probably unsure as to how to monetize the game.

Last edited:

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
EDMIX EDMIX

i think there is a misunderstanding.

so. this is the thing. two distinctions:

ONE:
I can see your thinking of this "new marketing strategy"

i am not talking about that. (i will make this point in number two)

But just as an observation:

The beginning of this generation was weirdly affected by COVID. So this point is invalid in my opinion.

you have Launch games....at Launch. (demon's souls) so?
and by the way this another example of what I am saying.

the subsequent games like
Ragnarok
Horizon 2
Spider-Man2

two those invalidate your point. and only one is the outlier but no quite.

you talk about the this combo:
teaser, big trailer, release, teaser, big trailer,

you are wrong in one specific point.

TWO:
Sony has been very consistent (for the most part) with a combo that involves uninterrumped gameplay.

and many more.

CLW

This Gen has SUCKED from Sony this far if Spencer wasn’t the most completely incompetent executive in history they’d be in trouble

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its hilarious to me. People act like showcases are constructed just to tickle their proverbial balls, when the obvious move is to show something for every interest group served by their platform and services.

Sony months back announces a big push into GaaS with 10 titles planned. So, in their showcase presentation they show off a bunch of them and people act surprised! Newsflash: GaaS are extremely popular on both console and PC, especially something like Fortnite that uses a F2P model.

Similarly, they have to continue pushing PSVR2 titles because they can't be seen to let the product die on the vine, even if a lot of people aren't that interested in PSVR2 or in fact VR generally.

On top of that they need to show some love for smaller indie titles, because if nothing else they are a nice palate cleanser between the big stuff and offer a way to tap-the-gas on PS+. They aren't going all-in like MS, but the occasional Stray or Humanity are a nice way to draw attention.

There are a lot of fans of Japanese titles and franchises on Playstation, so need to give them some space.

Oh, Final Fantasy XVI is a third-party exclusive that they have high-hopes for and is out next month. So that needs highlighting as they can't drop a State Of Play before then.

We're half-way through the year already and as the holiday quarter will no doubt be dominated by the usual third-party contenders, (and certainly no reason to spotlight multi-plats that have MS' fingerprints on them... let the opposition do the work on them) there's no real reason to backload the year beyond one heavy hitter. So finish up with a big spotlight on Spidey 2.

That's basically all bases covered for calendar 2023. There's no reason to push stuff that's already been announced further at this point. Wait until later in the year, certainly past show season as you want to throw Geoff a bone, and why fight for mindshare when you can just wait til the opposition has shot its bolt to get the "final" word in.

Sony don't *need* to make a statement at this point. For those unhappy about them not having a big show since 2020 the obvious retort is that the absence of one hasn't impacted their sales and marketshare has it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom