• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Powell has died from complications related to COVID

TheMan

This topic has the potential to become political which I know is frowned upon, but his death per se is not. Figured it deserved a mention.

Last edited:

cr0w

Old Member
Salute GIF by CBS

PSA: Even if you're fully vaxxed, don't be reckless. Continue to wear your mask at highly populated places with lots of people you don't know.
I suppose. But the main takeaway is the vax is just one factor, and not a cure-all for advanced age and other co-morbidities.

Tschumi

i wonder if he was vaccinated... if he was anti vax i guess it's apt that the second great lie he uttered got him... when the previous great lie got thousands of americans, iraqis and afghans

He was an American hero and patriot for his military service up to and including Desert Storm. The WMD presentation at the Security Council was unfortunate, but I, for one, don't believe he was being deliberately deceitful beyond the systemic failures of intelligence.

He will be missed. I'll pray for his family.

Yeah, no. He was immunocompromised from cancer. He was also 84. People die at that age. Especially when they have cancer. It isn’t some earth shattering development. Fully vaccinated people should not be staying home. That is ridiculous advice.

Thank you for stating the logical, rational, obvious response that I don't think I could sum up the will to write.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Yeah, no. He was immunocompromised from cancer. He was also 84. People die at that age. Especially when they have cancer. It isn’t some earth shattering development. Fully vaccinated people should not be staying home. That is ridiculous advice.

And more specifically myeloma cancer, which by definition will reduce your immune system to a smoking pile of rubbish even before chemo starts.

Last edited:

Raven117

The man should have been President. A true hero.

And Robert Gates on 60 minutes last night...he should have been President as well.

The men and women who should be President rarely are.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Really important point people/media are missing. He had multiple myeloma and was immunocompromised

edit

totally beaten to this

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I understand Colin P. was associated with Bush, Bin Laden, kinda a boring politician, didn’t love everything about the guy, going to war with Iraq was bad but Saddem had to be brought down. I liked putting the blame on Bin Laden after 9/11. Anyone would blow the doors off the taliban after that attack, I’m being kind for Colin. P. but we have to be honest, he felt like a relaxed cool grandpa backed up by veteran war experience.
RIP.
Democratic National Convention Dnc GIF by Election 2020

He was an American hero and patriot for his military service up to and including Desert Storm. The WMD presentation at the Security Council was unfortunate, but I, for one, don't believe he was being deliberately deceitful beyond the systemic failures of intelligence.

Thank you for stating the logical, rational, obvious response that I don't think I could sum up the will to write.

That meeting was "unfortunate"? That's quite a flippant way to describe something that resulted in a whole country being destabilized, hundreds of thousands dead (including 60,000+ innocent civilians) and you're going to refer to him as a hero? That's quite a low bar for hero isn't it?

I'm not going to tap dance on his grave here but it's silly to do the inverse and declare him a hero because he's dead now. The guy is far from a hero. If an Afghani leader or some other person from a foreign country had made the same decisions Colin Powell made, resulting in mass deaths and the destabilization of America, would you still label that person a "hero"?

Papacheeks

Banned

This topic has the potential to become political which I know is frowned upon, but his death per se is not. Figured it deserved a mention.
Sad day.

RSLAEV

No respect for this man after that "vial of anthrax" performance. He lived a lot longer than many of the people that suffered due to the war he helped sell.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Some of the evidence presented was widely discredited well before being presented, not by conspiracy theorists, but by various agencies all over the world (including domestic agencies.)

His repeated insistence that everyone involved was just a noble public servant who fully believed it was all legit, and that it was all a failure of un-named intelligence folks is part of the reason I lost all respect for him, after losing most of it when he made that presentation in the first place.. I was well aware at the time the evidence was fake, since.... well.. it was widely known lol

That meeting was "unfortunate"? That's quite a flippant way to describe something that resulted in a whole country being destabilized, hundreds of thousands dead (including 60,000+ innocent civilians) and you're going to refer to him as a hero? That's quite a low bar for hero isn't it?

I'm not going to tap dance on his grave here but it's silly to do the inverse and declare him a hero because he's dead now. The guy is far from a hero. If an Afghani leader or some other person from a foreign country had made the same decisions Colin Powell made, resulting in mass deaths and the destabilization of America, would you still label that person a "hero"?

First of all, he's a hero and patriot for his service to this country in the military over a lifetime, especially during Desert Storm. I was clear on this.

Also, It wasn't a meeting, it was a presentation to the UN Security Council. Again, I know given the advantages of hindsight that things went to shit and we can pin the point of divergence on the decision to invade Iraq. But at the time in 2002/2003 the entire intelligence system was onboard with what Colin Powell presented as being factual -- see the NIE's on Iraq to that point.

George Tenant, one of the few Director of Central Intelligence that served under both a democrat (Clinton) and republican (Bush) administration said the evidence for WMD was a "slam dunk". That's just a fact. To reiterate as you didn't acknowledge it, what I said was that I don't believe Colin Powell knowingly deceived us with his presentation.

Last edited:

According to bbc news he will be known for pushing the iraq war based on intelligence " of exquisite detail " regarding wmd.

But don't forget the dodgy dossier he referred to (at least in that infamous quote) came from the uk intelligence community. And the insider who was questioning it here died swiftly after raising his concerns.... this isn't entirely on Powell.

If you watch the blair and brown years documentary (currently on iplayer) they cover this and from the blair interview, it is clear they were all pretty convinced they would find something (he was clearly kicking himself whilst putting on a front).

Stepping back and supporting Obama whilst both parties were courting him to be the first black president says to me he was more a public servant than seeker of self service.

I respect the man.

Last edited:

KrakenIPA

The man had a huge impact on my joining the US Army at 18, for better or worse. Pressing f over here. I hope he found some peace towards the end.
No matter our role in life, we can all look forward to the inevitable.

RIP Colin Powell; whether I agreed with their politics or not isn't the point. We should have respect for the deceased, even if we disagree with things they've said or done.

So it's not surprising the ERA thread on this is filled with just some of the most disgusting "people" on the internet being absolutely despicable WRT his passing. Seriously, you can see how empty the hearts and lives of a lot of those posters are. How much without morals and basic decency many of them must live by, the desperation in them to use a dead guy as a vector for spewing toxicity and hatred.

I guess it doesn't occur to the ERAtards making a mockery of this passing that he nor Republicans are hardly the only politicians that've said and done some horrible things. But reality escapes people reduced to sheer stupidity out of their hatred and anger, doesn't it?

drganon

Not that upset to be honest. His service in the military is to be commended but everything he did as secretary of state and after is nothing but an embarrassment.

saiws

Banned
powell was a total war hawk, through and through. he started his career helping to explain/cover up the my lai massacre and spent decades ignoring the ill effects of interventionism and encouraging violence towards some of the poorest people on the planet for US material gain. anyone who celebrates this man is a military cuck.

Top Bottom