• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comcast wants to merge with EA

Better them than Cox, I guess

Not because Cox is faultless but because if any ISP's quality is gonna drop due to a merger like this I'd rather it be the one that already seems to be the worst of the two.

I am so happy for being European. I have heard horrible things of that company.

You guys don't even have data caps, do you? Lucky bastards 🤣

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
Better them than Cox, I guess

Not because Cox is faultless but because if any ISP's quality is gonna drop due to a merger like this I'd rather it be the one that already seems to be the worst of the two.

No we do not have data caps and the internet is really fast. We have 5 ISP's all fighting for our money and this is on a small country (portugal)

yurinka

I have no idea of what Comcast is. I assume should be a company from USA but not related to gaming at all.

Here in Spain (Europe, but almost Africa in many ways) I have a ~$100/month bundle that pretty likely isn't the best deal available here and includes:
  • 1Gbps fiber internet at home with no data cap
  • Home telephone line with unlimited nationwide calls (including mobile)
  • Two 4G smartphone lines with no data cap and unlimited nationwide calls (including mobile)
  • Netflix (not sure but I think it was 2 years)
  • Amazon Video (not sure but I think it was 2 years)
  • All soccer (top sport here) PPV
  • Wifi6 router (they gave me a wifi5 one but recently saw they had a wifi6, called them and gave me the wifi6 one for free, only paying the postman)

Last edited:
This is like the equivalent of a DBZ fusion dance to take revenge on that online poll sometime ago on America's worst companies (Comcast is one of the featured) where EA won 2 or 3 times in a row. Lmfaoooo

skit_data

Well, looks like they’re trying to sell. My guess is Tencent will buy them. I don’t see any one of the platform holders buying them.

Unknown?

I have no idea of what Comcast is. I assume should be a company from USA but not related to gaming at all.

Here in Spain (Europe, but almost Africa in many ways) I have a ~$100/month bundle that pretty likely isn't the best deal available here and includes:
  • Two 4G smartphone lines with no data cap and unlimited nationwide calls (including mobile)
  • Wifi6 router (they gave me a wifi5 one but recently saw they had a wifi6, called them and gave me the wifi6 one for free, only paying the postman)
For $100/month you wouldn't get close to 1gbps and not even fiber here in America from Comcast.

Man, stuff like this makes me hate American internet ISPs that much more. In my area for example, the only way you can get 1Gbps is through Cox, even though the city literally next door can get it with a completely different ISP provider.

There's thankfully some competition coming in that department; current plan isn't terrible (150 Mbps 1.28 TB data cap) but until the node was replaced (which we had to call and speak with a supervisor directly to even find out was the actual issue), connectivity was degrading month over month. Has been much better since then but got a feeling it'll only be sometime in Summer another call will have to be made for the same issue.

All that said it's nice we got a Wifi6 router for no extra fee, so at least there is some parity there 🤣. Also tbh the data cap hasn't been a much a problem, it's just annoying that's something to always take into consideration (and unused data doesn't roll over but that is kind of the norm with non-cellular service in America).

You still have data caps in the US? In 2022? In times of 4k streaming?
How can you use game streaming services like Xbox or Stadia without reaching the caps?

IKR? Big reason I'm still going physical this gen, saving digital for things that are digital-only. The game streaming services, well, things like game streaming through PS+ Extra/Premium once I get that, probably gonna be weekend-only things anyway.

Unless the new consoles support AV1 encode/decode, which would be neat. But I don't think they do.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
I have a close relative that works at Comcast. She was telling me that they were looking to make a big foray into gaming. I guess this is part of it!

yurinka

Man, stuff like this makes me hate American internet ISPs that much more. In my area for example, the only way you can get 1Gbps is through Cox, even though the city literally next door can get it with a completely different ISP provider.

There's thankfully some competition coming in that department; current plan isn't terrible (150 Mbps 1.28 TB data cap) but until the node was replaced (which we had to call and speak with a supervisor directly to even find out was the actual issue), connectivity was degrading month over month. Has been much better since then but got a feeling it'll only be sometime in Summer another call will have to be made for the same issue.

All that said it's nice we got a Wifi6 router for no extra fee, so at least there is some parity there 🤣. Also tbh the data cap hasn't been a much a problem, it's just annoying that's something to always take into consideration (and unused data doesn't roll over but that is kind of the norm with non-cellular service in America).
Well, to be fair I have to mention that I live next to a major city. In the countryside there is no fiber coverage.

There they have DSL connections of 100, 200 or 300Mbps (without data cap) in many areas, but in more isolated ones they have to use satellite stuff. In these DSL connections this speed is for download, uploads are slower.

Last edited:
Att has gigabit for 80.
You still have data caps in the US? In 2022? In times of 4k streaming?
How can you use game streaming services like Xbox or Stadia without reaching the caps?
I am so happy for being European. I have heard horrible things of that company.
Comcast has a monopoly on a ton of rural/suburban/non-city areas to a scary degree. When you're living in those areas, the options aside from Comcast are usually older companies and satellite/DSL speeds you'd see that were popular in 1995-2005. It makes Comcast end up being the only choice for a mere 800mbps to 1gbps at best for 100 dollars or more. There's more to this, like how they've made it a pain in the ass for companies like google to try and offer fiber in certain areas, and how they pretty much line the pockets of certain politicians so that they won't allow other companies to offer better for less, but that's a conversation for a different day. A part of me was hoping that the slow death of cable would make a big dent, but they've adapted fast enough around it to where it's barely a scratch.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Sucks specially for Americans. I've heard you guys absolutely despise that company. It makes the ISPs we have here in South America look good by comparison.

Although EA x Apple would be worse. FIFA would cost 450 USD base game and look like sensible soccer while running like the matrix UE5 demo. In a sleek white package of course.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
This is what Microsoft means when they mean competition.
MS could have deciomated the gaming market long time ago, if they actually cared about xbox.

The amount of money they have, plus the time line during the gaming period, would have allowed them to buy alot of studios with little hassle.

Good thing, they were stupid as hell.

And now, gaming world is big. So buying these big studios doesn't affect anyone, like it will in the past.

flying_sq

now I feel like i am getting ripped.
Yea, Verizon is the only ISP I have ever seen with decent prices. They're still scummy though, you can pay $55 for 50/50, or $65 for gig/gig. I think even after the 2 year contract price it's like $80 if you don't negotiate it back down.

kingfey

Banned
Yea, Verizon is the only ISP I have ever seen with decent prices. They're still scummy though, you can pay $55 for 50/50, or $65 for gig/gig. I think even after the 2 year contract price it's like $80 if you don't negotiate it back down.
I got big family. So that unlimited plan is the only reason why I have spectrum. Plus, I had them since 2014.

flying_sq

Yea, I don't know how good the bundles are. I only get internet and have Verizon for my cell. Spectrum keeps sending me stuff to add TV, but with ESPN+ and Prime I really don't need much more.

HoofHearted

I'll never buy another EA game again if this happens....

Oh wait.. I haven't bought one in years anyway... so... good luck

Top Bottom