• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comcast wants to merge with EA

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
If you guys think Comcast is bad, wait until you try Spectrum.
Nah, Spectrum is heinous, but Crapcast is even worse.

In Metro Los Angeles we have several different ISP choices. Spectrum or AT&T are the worst. Spectrum completely unreliable and never even close to the advertised speeds but NO data caps. AT&T I believe has more reliable service, but it also has data caps.

I have Starry Internet which is 5G 200 up and down, super reliable and always at least the advertised speed for a flat $50.00 per month no caps. Verizon recently came to Metro LA,1Gig fiber, no caps for around $70 a month and less if you have your cell with them.

Season 19 Episode 6 GIF by The Simpsons

kingfey

Banned
You guys are amazing, we do not even know IF Microsoft can manage so many studios and some of you are wondering who MS should get next? Ok.
What studios is MS mismanaging?

People are overblowning this too much.

343i has always been the shit. Rare did whatever they wanted. The Initiative is new.

While on other hand, none of their other studios are having any issues at all.

Why isn't Coalition, turn10, Obsidian, ninja theory, inexile, playground have any issues?

The only problem PG had was trying to focus on RPG game from a racing game experience. And that itself isn't even an issue, considering what they hired.

EDMIX

343i has always been the shit. Rare did whatever they wanted. The Initiative is new.

Why isn't Coalition, turn10, Obsidian, ninja theory, inexile, playground have any issues?

The only problem PG had was trying to focus on RPG game from a racing game experience. And that itself isn't even an issue, considering what they hired.

Well...I think we have to wait and see how any of this plays out first. I just can't say they don't have issues, we haven't even see those fucking projects yet to really be saying that just yet lol I want stuff like Avowed to be great, but I wanted Outerworlds to be great to so... yea lol

I hope all is well, but of course a few flops will happen and I do believe it remains to be seen if MS can allow that creative freedom and if they can manage all those teams, they literally just bought a whole ass publisher

Zeroing

Banned

Overblowing? I’m using logic.

Like I said! We do not know they can manage because that is a question only time time will tell.
One thing is certain! MS never managed so many studios and they don’t have a long experience with new IPs and before someone throws the Nintendo too! Nintendo isn’t buying big studios and bragging they will make AAAA games!

Even Sony is acting very strategically and they messed up some of their studios on the past.

Square enix selling studios and IPs, EA begging to be merged, Bethesda and Activision allowing to be bought… maybe all those are a sign that, the bigger you get the harder it is to be sustainable!

I dunno food for thought.

AllBizness

Banned
I can see a none gaming company merging with or buying EA. I cant see a gaming company buying them not even Tencent. EA relies too much on licensing they do know how to make good games though but more often then not they cheap out and the games end up not being as good as they could have.

MS could have deciomated the gaming market long time ago, if they actually cared about xbox.

The amount of money they have, plus the time line during the gaming period, would have allowed them to buy alot of studios with little hassle.

I doubt that. Well, if it were the current management. 360 management pre-Kinect? Possibly, especially with guys like Peter Moore and J. Allard still around with the division at the time.

However I think in light of recent events it's clear there are upper managerial issues with the Xbox division and it doesn't matter how much money you throw at the division: if those issues persist then their potential will always be bottlenecked by it. We've also seen companies like Nintendo and Sony dominate core gaming with far less money at their disposal, so at some point money becomes less of a factor and talent nurturing & efficient upper management are the bigger factors.

Otherwise you get companies like Sega who had the talent but severely lacked cohesive upper management (and also obviously lacked the money of Sony and cash reserves of Nintendo). I think at this point Microsoft have the raw talent, but their potential is hampered somewhat by lackadaisical upper management and maybe having too much money at their disposal (which might be leading to the sense of feeling too secured, taking too much pressure off which could impact drive).

That's my opinion on it, anyway.

And now, gaming world is big. So buying these big studios doesn't affect anyone, like it will in the past.

What? Of course massive acquisitions are affecting other companies, especially other platform holders. The dynamics of independent studios and publishers on the open market for business-related dealings shift significantly relative to the size of the entity acquired.

That said, even with those changing dynamics things can more or less end up as net positives for the market as a whole...potentially. But actually declaring that definitively will require time.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
I have no idea of what Comcast is. I assume should be a company from USA but not related to gaming at all.

Here in Spain (Europe, but almost Africa in many ways) I have a ~$100/month bundle that pretty likely isn't the best deal available here and includes:
  • 1Gbps fiber internet at home with no data cap
  • Home telephone line with unlimited nationwide calls (including mobile)
  • Two 4G smartphone lines with no data cap and unlimited nationwide calls (including mobile)
  • Netflix (not sure but I think it was 2 years)
  • Amazon Video (not sure but I think it was 2 years)
  • All soccer (top sport here) PPV
  • Wifi6 router (they gave me a wifi5 one but recently saw they had a wifi6, called them and gave me the wifi6 one for free, only paying the postman)
That's really good, carajo...

Here in Germany I pay €64,99 for 250 mbit (no caps), home phone line with unlimited nationwide calls including mobile, and Disney+

My friend back on Tenerife had a 400mbit line YEARS ago, when that didn't even exist over here. A fricking rock in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean has better internet than Germany :/

kingfey

Banned
Overblowing? I’m using logic.

Like I said! We do not know they can manage because that is a question only time time will tell.
One thing is certain! MS never managed so many studios and they don’t have a long experience with new IPs and before someone throws the Nintendo too! Nintendo isn’t buying big studios and bragging they will make AAAA games!

Even Sony is acting very strategically and they messed up some of their studios on the past.

Square enix selling studios and IPs, EA begging to be merged, Bethesda and Activision allowing to be bought… maybe all those are a sign that, the bigger you get the harder it is to be sustainable!

I dunno food for thought.
That is not logic.
That is just overblown reaction, which was increased by fanboys.

MS has 25 studios. And only 4 makes them makes them mismanage all those studios? Especially when 2 of them do what they want, and 1 is just new, while the other was in the process of purchase transition.

They started buying those studios since 2017. We don't know shit, other than journalist sensational articles.

kingfey

Banned
Well...I think we have to wait and see how any of this plays out first. I just can't say they don't have issues, we haven't even see those fucking projects yet to really be saying that just yet lol I want stuff like Avowed to be great, but I wanted Outerworlds to be great to so... yea lol

I hope all is well, but of course a few flops will happen and I do believe it remains to be seen if MS can allow that creative freedom and if they can manage all those teams, they literally just bought a whole ass publisher
The problem was that covid hit everyone, so it caused delays. plus the new purchase takes time to settle in, and those games take time.

All of this was outside events, which MS has no control over it.

Once the studios pick up their pacing, it would different talk.

Right now, MS needs to change their e3 events to smaller events. Or else it creates notion likes these, since we have no clue how long their project is taking them. 1 event for 1 year is not enough to give us proper information. And insiders aren't helping anyone.

Lunarorbit

I have no idea of what Comcast is. I assume should be a company from USA but not related to gaming at all.

Here in Spain (Europe, but almost Africa in many ways) I have a ~$100/month bundle that pretty likely isn't the best deal available here and includes:
  • 1Gbps fiber internet at home with no data cap
  • Home telephone line with unlimited nationwide calls (including mobile)
  • Two 4G smartphone lines with no data cap and unlimited nationwide calls (including mobile)
  • Netflix (not sure but I think it was 2 years)
  • Amazon Video (not sure but I think it was 2 years)
  • All soccer (top sport here) PPV
  • Wifi6 router (they gave me a wifi5 one but recently saw they had a wifi6, called them and gave me the wifi6 one for free, only paying the postman)
There was a bill years ago that all the isps were supposed to upgrade the internet infrastructure to accommodate faster speeds and to bring the service to rural areas.

The isps took the money and never did anything. The area I live in you can only use xfinity or have a combo of direct tv/a horrible internet provider with really slow speeds. It's a monopoly

Zeroing

Banned
That is not logic.

MS has 25 studios. And only 4 makes them makes them mismanage all those studios? Especially when 2 of them do what they want, and 1 is just new, while the other was in the process of purchase transition.

They started buying those studios since 2017. We don't know shit, other than journalist sensational articles.
Objection your honor: hearsay, leading.

Exactly, we! Meaning also you! We do not know!!!

Your honor, I request we strike witness answer before “we don’t know shit”

Jeeves

If this was happening I'd be pretty okay with it. Rather have two shitty companies consolidate than have either of them infect a company that I do care about.

I wish sony swing in and made an offer to EA. If Microsoft can get away with Zenimax and getting away with Activision blizzard then a merger with sony will be beneficial with its live services apex etc

Monokrom

Man I feel sorry for you americans with data cap. :messenger_neutral:
I've had fiber for 20 years now, paying 45$ for 500mbit. Stockholm, Sweden.

Last edited:

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Man I feel sorry for you americans with data cap. :messenger_neutral:
I've had fiber for 20 years now, paying 45$ for 500mbit. Stockholm, Sweden.
It depends on the region. I have Cox in the US and I have no data caps for 1.25Gb/750Mb. But I'm in an area without a monopoly or monopsony. A lot of the less dense areas aren't as lucky and are unfortunately at the mercy of whoever is willing to monetize their infrastructure.

Tarkus98

They deserve each other.
I’m in one of those areas where Comcast has an iron fist monopoly. Only other choice is Verizon DSL which is a fucking joke.
There’s like a hundred other choices out there and not one is “allowed” in to compete. Yeah, Comcast can go fist fuck themselves. Slimy bastards.

spons

Gold Member
You guys don't even have data caps, do you? Lucky bastards 🤣
Just downloaded 1.3 TB in a day (work video data) because it was the easier option as opposed to finding storage and copying it over.
Not to mention that data caps are arbitrary - you're already capped in speed, so why add a transfer limit on top of that?
Bollocks to data caps, even my shithole with 2 competing ISPs at any given location doesn't have them.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Good idea to me, let's just get all the shit multinationals under one umbrella. Easier to direct hate towards.

OuterLimits

In my area it's largely either Comcast or Verizon Fios. I'm still amazed over the amount of people who willingly choose Comcast.

I suppose if you rarely use the internet and still largely use cable TV services, then perhaps Comcast could be the more attractive option. In quite a few places though Comcast has pretty much a monopoly if you want decent internet speeds.

Apparently Comcast wants to do a universal 1.2TB cap but keeps delaying its implementation in certain markets(like the Northeast United States)

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
What are the chances that this would make Comcast slightly less shitty?

Pallas

Gold Member
Anything that stops MS buying more publishers Im cool with
If you think EA is bad now, you haven’t seen anything yet if these two corporations merge. Honestly anything would be better than this, I’d even go as far as to say a Tencent acquisition of EA would be better.

But I guess fortunately for you big bad Microsoft won’t try to buy EA.

Truly an unholy alliance …

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
That is not logic.

It’s been 5 years and they haven’t blown the industry away like Nintendo and Sony have been doing since then. We have solid reasons to be skeptical.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
It’s been 5 years and they haven’t blown the industry away like Nintendo and Sony have been doing since then. We have solid reasons to be skeptical.
Because things don't fall from sky's.
Look at Sony pre ps3. Their studio's clicked during the ps3 era, and flourished more during ps4.

2023-2024 would be the test for MS, if their studio's can deliver what they are promised to deliver. Because that is enough time for their studio's to have something by that time.

kingfey

Banned
MS is not getting anyone for a long time after A/B. People are crazy to believe so.
They shouldnt. They need to expand their tiny studios, instead of big publishers, in order to work on their old IPs.

One of the downside of owning big publishers, is the responsibility of taking care of their IPs. MS cant even take care of their own IPs. How can they buy another big publisher?

Kokoloko85

If you think EA is bad now, you haven’t seen anything yet if these two corporations merge. Honestly anything would be better than this, I’d even go as far as to say a Tencent acquisition of EA would be better.

But I guess fortunately for you big bad Microsoft won’t try to buy EA.

Truly an unholy alliance …

As long as they stay 3rd party. I might be interested in TitanFall 3 or Battlefront
Big bad Microsoft is the only one buying huge publishers atm so I think they should focus on what they have. I know the fans want them to acquire the whole industry ( they must love the quality output ) but let them prove themselves with what they have

Now comcast can offer gaming advantages in EA/sports games. None comcast players getting throttled during peak play times lol.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
As long as they stay 3rd party. I might be interested in TitanFall 3 or Battlefront
Big bad Microsoft is the only one buying huge publishers atm so I think they should focus on what they have. I know the fans want them to acquire the whole industry ( they must love the quality output ) but let them prove themselves with what they have

No one should want EA merged and/or owned by Comcast. I wouldn’t mind or care if Take-Two, Sony, Embracer Group or even Microsoft buys them.

Comcast will hopefully not get involved in gaming.

Kokoloko85

No one should want EA merged and/or owned by Comcast. I wouldn’t mind or care if Take-Two, Sony, Embracer Group or even Microsoft buys them.

Comcast will hopefully not get involved in gaming.

Id rather they stay 3rd party.

I dont even know comcast, why are they so bad

Pallas

Gold Member
Id rather they stay 3rd party.

I dont even know comcast, why are they so bad
I’d much rather them also stay independent … as for why Comcast is so bad, there’s really too many things to put Into a post here’s a wiki page if you don’t mind some reading, plus im pretty sure it does a better job explaining.

Btw Comcast is a American multinational telecommunications conglomerate. They supply cable, phone/cell, internet services, commercial and business.

skit_data

As a european I don’t know what Comcast is and I’m pretty sure I don’t wanna get to know them better either by the sounds of it.

Top Bottom