• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Come 2to buttocks. i welcom thee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krilekk

Banned
The thing about truthfacts is that they may be 100% correct when issued, but then plans change.

Its like saying "There will be a red sox game tomorrow" and if tomorrow comes, and it rains, that is no longer true. Doesnt mean the truthfact was a lie.

So anybody is allowed to post anything right now as fact because afterwards he can just say that things changed?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Do you really think huge corporations won't try to flush out leakers?

How would that flush out the leaker? Does each developer live in a box where he can't communicate with anyone else in the company so you can give them all different dates and determine who released the info? It sounds more like people are watching too many 24 reruns.

It doesn't mean he's a liar at all if he's wrong. It just means he was wrong for whatever reason. The rumor mill operates a lot like a corporate game of Telephone.

Krakn3Dfx

BoatCrash.jpg

Didn't think CBOAT was a Sony insider source anyway, so when he was "confirming" October, it seemed odd. Hopefully we'll hear what happened there, but I'm guessing someone gave him/her/it a bad tip and they ran with it.

ari

Banned
This is a tricky one. He has provided entertainment and facts before. But he was wrong plenty lately and made some here on gaf to believe him over actual companies pr.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Are we really going to turn on CBOAT, someone who has been a consistently accurate source for leaks for 8 years, just because of the PS3 launch date? Things very easily may have changed between when he got the info and the announcement today. Everything else has been on point.

Really, some of you people are just fucking unreal.

People upset with the content of his leaks jump at the first opportunity of vulnerability.

So anybody is allowed to post anything right now as fact because afterwards he can just say that things changed?
Anyone with 10 years of a quality reputation.

Things change, as we've seen so often this year. Who's to say a late Oct PS4 launch was not the original plan when CBOAT (and at least 1 other mod verified gaffer) heard about it?

It doesn't change his almost 10 year record of revealing stuff, almost always spot on.

I presume those calling for his banning are joking.

BoatCrash.jpg

Didn't think CBOAT was a Sony insider source anyway, so when he was "confirming" October, it seemed odd. Hopefully we'll hear what happened there, but I'm guessing someone gave him/her/it a bad tip and they ran with it.

if anything I think he got mention of a late October launch, and was thinking that it had a high probability because their SDK is in final stages. Maybe as a hardware launch they are indeed ready for an October launch, but they wanted to wait a couple of weeks for software to be ready to accompany the release. I could see something along those lines as being more of the reality.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

Akai__

Why the heck should he get banned? His leaks should be treated as rumours, especially the Sony ones. He was like 99% right, when it comes to MS and Xbox news.

He is a human being, like everybody else on here and we tend to fail sometimes. Don't be ridiculous, by calling him out on that.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Anyone with common sense should realise CBOAT shouldn't be banned and can see what happened. Almost a decade of good stuff but when they get one thing wrong, they go? Disgraceful.

The Flash

Banned
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I take every bit of leaked info or rumor with a grain of salt. There's nothing wrong with being right 95% of the time but that other 5% is going to have to rear its ugly head out eventually.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Bishoptl already spoke for the mods. I would humbly suggest we steer the conversation away from the fate of CBOAT's account.

It isn't even the first time CBOAT has been wrong. Chalk a couple up in the "wrong" column and take it into account when you consider his credibility the next time he posts.

While I don't have any problems with CBOAT, there are a couple of curiosities/mild annoyances that I have about him.

1. As a Microsoft leaker he didn't seem to pick up on many major announcements for Xbox One. Things like DRM, DRM policies, DRM reversal, removal of Kinect requirement, self publishing, Indie policy, launch date, and inclusion of headset were learned of from outside sources. He did expand on specifics regarding Microsoft on the Xbox One but many of those were either very vague, cannot be confirmed, and/or denied directly by Microsoft.

2. Claims that cannot be proved. These kind of annoy me. Many people take these as absolute truth (i.e. Xbox One yield issues, family share demo limitation). While CBOAT has a good track record these claims provide no other source and are thus unsubstantiated. This information gets passed around to various other places (N4G, GameFAQs, etc.) and are treated as truth. When people are questioned for the validity or source they usually respond with "Well CBOAT said..." or something along those lines. People also like to label Microsoft as spreading false information when denying some of CBOAT's claims but in reality we don't (and probably will never) know who's spreading false information. The overwhelming majority seems to side with CBOAT however.

Like I said, I have no problem with CBOAT. I have no problems with his posts and I'm grateful for the information he provides. I can't vouch for his legitimacy however since I don't know the guy. It seems my main annoyance is how his information is labeled and how people interpret/handle the information he posts.

Exactly this. CBOAT obviously has insider information that makes him privy to many things, but he has gotten things wrong before and this one is completely undeniable. (I personally don't believe the PoP/Halo confusion at all). So it is a bit annoying on GAF when thread titles are changed to state what CBOAT is saying (see 1hr Family sharing / Yield issues) and are labelled as if they are the Word of God.

I completely don't understand people calling for *any* sort of action against cboat, he's easily got the best record of any industry insider by a wide WIDE margin.

Most "insiders" can't even get one thing right. He's called things over and over. An insider with an 80% record (or whatever number you want to quibble it as) is a hell of a lot better than no insider at all.

nampad

We all knew cboat is a Microsoft insider and were wondering about the PS4 launch leak. So he is wrong sometimes but still spot on most of the time.

#TeamCBOAT

Trey

CBoaT should keep doing what he or she does. You win and lose some and Cboat's loss column was looking bare. Still is.

Hey, CBOAT...

You still have my sword. GAF needs someone like you, and just like with any relationship, there are always some rough patches that balance out the high spots. GAF will still be lovely your prom date if you'll have us, you handsome rapscallion you.

That picture of me in the friends list up there... there is a decent possibility that I will be in the kiosk demo of knack as well :D

I was 100% on this shit. Usually i'm shy and a bit bashful but I fucking nailed everything and thanked my sources profusely for it. Going out against Verendus and Cboat on the october release made me question whether I was going to lose all credibility here... so I'm feeling pretty good now.

I feel like most of the people calling for his head don't like leaks for one reason or another. The fact that it's mostly juniors makes me feel... like putting on a tinfoil hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom