• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic Book Day! - 05/04/11. Shield Smash; an B- in Villainy; Free Comics for All.

Status
Not open for further replies.
cbd_05042011.jpg

Sorry this week's thread is so late, but it really wasn't my fault this time; Diamond's website (including the shipping lists) was inaccessible for pretty much all of Monday, and that delayed my prepwork until Tuesday after work. I thought about posting an incomplete thread around noontime today, but since I haven't been finishing those threads I keep promising to finish I thought better of it. So this week you're getting a late yet 100% complete thread.

cbd_header02-1.png

Here is this week's Diamond Comics Shipping List for: Wednesday, May 4th 2011:

cbd_header03.png

Shipping This Week: DC Comics / Vertigo Comics / Wildstorm Comics

Spotlight On:
MAR110317 ADVENTURE COMICS #526 $2.99

tHB80.jpg

The conclusion to Paul Levitz and Phil Jimenez's "Legion Academy" arc! We hope the cadets survive it! Plus, longtime LEGION artists Jeffrey and Philip Moy draw an all-new short story starring the speedster XS, and what she finds in this version of the 31st century is deadlier than she ever thought! Story by Paul Levitz, art by Phil Jimenez, Jeffrey Moy, Andy Lanning and Philip Moy.

xBCj3.jpg

hJASw.jpg

MAR110306 BATMAN BEYOND #5 $2.99
MAR110335 DC COMICS PRESENTS SON OF SUPERMAN #1 $7.99
MAR110284 DC UNIVERSE ONLINE LEGENDS #7 $2.99
MAR110319 DOOM PATROL #22 $2.99 - final issue in this series.
MAR110320 FREEDOM FIGHTERS #9 $2.99 - final issue in this series.
MAR110387 IZOMBIE #13 (MR) $2.99
MAR110323 JONAH HEX #67 $2.99
MAR110326 JSA ALL STARS #18 $2.99 - final issue in this series.
MAR110328 SECRET SIX #33 $2.99
MAR110312 SUPERBOY #7 $2.99

cbd_header04.png

Shipping This Week: Marvel Comics

Spotlight On:
MAR110612 FEAR ITSELF #2 (OF 7) FEAR $3.99

W2esJ.jpg

The Mighty Thor--imprisoned by his own father! As Odin and the Asgardians leave the Earth to fend for itself against the God of Fear, the Avengers and the world's remaining heroes battle the unstoppable tide of terror! And then-- the Serpent’s Hammers fall! Who are the Worthy? Who shall rise up and join the Serpent as living avatars of his evil? And how can the Avengers respond...to fear itself? Story by Matt Fraction, art by Stuart Immonen.

ppbyX.jpg

PeAaj.jpg

r4g01.jpg

MAR110687 ANNIHILATORS #3 (OF 4) $4.99
MAR110658 ASTONISHING THOR #4 (OF 5) $3.99
MAR110646 AVENGERS ACADEMY #13 $2.99
MAR110644 AVENGERS ACADEMY GIANT-SIZE #1 $7.99
MAR110655 CAPTAIN AMERICA FIRST VENGEANCE #1 (OF 4) $2.99
MAR110654 CAPTAIN AMERICA HAIL HYDRA #5 (OF 5) $2.99
MAR110713 DEADPOOL ANNUAL #1 $3.99
MAR110615 FEAR ITSELF HOME FRONT #2 (OF 7) FEAR $3.99
MAR110624 FEAR ITSELF SPIDER-MAN #1 (OF 3) FEAR $2.99
FEB110583 HERC #2 $2.99
MAR110690 HEROES FOR HIRE #6 $2.99
MAR110697 MOON KNIGHT #1 $3.99
MAR110730 UNCANNY X-FORCE #9 $3.99
MAR110727 WOLVERINE BEST THERE IS #6 $3.99
MAR110714 X-MEN PRELUDE TO SCHISM #1 (OF 04) $2.99

cbd_header05.png

Shipping This Week: Image Comics / Top Cow Productions

Spotlight On:
MAR110508 GLADSTONES SCHOOL FOR WORLD CONQUERORS #1 $2.99

Z9TQA.jpg

Welcome to Gladstone's School for World Conquerors, a top-secret academy for the children of the world's greatest super villains to learn the trade. Join us as Kid Nefarious, Mummy Girl, Martian Jones, Ghost Girl, and the infamous Skull brothers unearth the School's and their parents' hidden past. Story by Mark Andrew Smith, art by Armand Villavert and Carlos Carrasco.

UYwNx.jpg

DEC100518 ARTIFACTS #7 (OF 13) $3.99
MAR110572 BLUE ESTATE #2 (MR) $2.99
MAR110586 INTREPIDS #3 $2.99
FEB110471 PROOF ENDANGERED #5 (MR) $3.99
MAR110530 RED SPIKE #1 (OF 5) $1.00

cbd_header06.png

Shipping This Week: Dark Horse Comics

Spotlight On:
MAR110026 AXE COP BAD GUY EARTH #3 (OF 3) $3.50

M48qS.jpg

Just when you thought the ground-breaking hit comic Axe Cop couldn’t get more awesome, it gets MORE AWESOME!

Axe Cop is in big trouble! The authorities are on his case, he’s on a crazy time-travel mission to try to save the dinosaurs from a horrible war with aliens, and while he’s been away, a team of evil brothers has been assembling a massive team of bad guys bent on taking over the earth! But with the help of his awesome crime-fighting team, including Dinosaur Soldier, Sockarang, and the mighty doggie hero Ralph Wrinkles, Axe Cop might still be able to save the planet. But there’s one more battle for our brave axe man in blue, and he must time-travel to the age of swords to make it all happen!

* Don’t miss the exciting and ridiculously funny conclusion to the best comics miniseries of 2011!

“Funny, goofy, frenetic, exuberant . . . a pure, crystalline, downright weaponized expression of the kidlike essence of comics.” --NPR

OQXW4.jpg

MAR110035 BPRD DEAD REMEMBERED #2 (OF 3) $3.50
MAR110024 SOLOMON KANE RED SHADOWS #2 (OF 4) $3.50
FEB110038 USAGI YOJIMBO #137 $3.50
MAR110036 WITCHFINDER LOST & GONE FOREVER #4 (OF 5) $2.99

cbd_header07-1.png

Shipping This Week: IDW Publishing

Spotlight On:
MAR110470 DUNGEONS & DRAGONS DARK SUN #5 (OF 5) $3.99

OvrqR.jpg

The post-apocalyptic DUNGEONS & DRAGONS setting’s first-ever comic concludes! Beneath a crimson sun lie wastelands of majestic desolation and cities of cruel splendor where life hangs by a thread. Welcome to Athas! In Part 5 of “Ianto’s Tomb,” Grudvik and Aki—along with Veiled Alliance preservers—have made it to their destination, but will they get what they want and will they survive the experience? Story by Alex Irvine, art by Peter Bergting.

EQhDR.jpg

MAR110481 DOCTOR WHO CLASSICS #4 SEVENTH DOCTOR $3.99
JAN110529 EDGE OF DOOM #5 (OF 5) $3.99
MAR110457 SPIKE #8 (OF 8) $3.99
MAR110437 TRANSFORMERS RISING STORM #4 (OF 4) $3.99

cbd_header08-1.png

Shipping This Week: Antarctic Press / Aspen Comics / Avatar Press / Boom! Studios / Dynamite Entertainment / Fantagraphics / Oni Press / Radical Publishing / UDON Entertainment / Zenescope

Spotlight On:
MAR110973 IRREDEEMABLE #25 $3.99

QvdXf.jpg

t’s a super-powered prison fight the likes of which you’ve never seen! There’s strength in numbers on the prison planet where a collection of the universe’s worst super-criminals have been gathered. And the Plutonian is a loner. It’s a recipe for disaster and destruction! The Plutonian has a plan for freedom — just as soon as he deals with a group of psychotic killers that make him look like the picture of sanity. Mark Waid’s Eisner and Harvey-nominated series continues! Story by Mark Waid, art by Peter Krause and Diego Barreto.

vJhFK.jpg

jfQ9W.jpg

FEB111131 ABYSS FAMILY ISSUES #3 (OF 4) $3.50
JAN111298 ATOMIC ROBO DEADLY ART OF SCIENCE #5 (OF 5) $3.50
MAR111040 BOYS #54 (MR) $3.99
JAN111026 DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP #22 (OF 24) $3.99
FEB110953 GARTH ENNIS JENNIFER BLOOD #3 (MR) $3.99
FEB111225 GFT DREAM EATER SAGA CROSSOVER PRELUDE $1.99
FEB111227 GFT MYTHS & LEGENDS #4 $2.99
FEB111132 MOON GIRL #1 (OF 5) $3.50
OCT100967 RED SONJA #56 $3.99
JAN111105 VAMPIRELLA #5 $3.99

cbd_header09.png

Shipping This Week: Dark Horse / Bandai / Del Rey / Digital Manga Publishing / Tokyopop / Viz / Yen Press

Spotlight On:
FEB111184 LYCHEE LIGHT CLUB GN VOL 01 $16.95

1BE2u.jpg

The Lychee Light Club is considered Usamaru Furuya's breakthrough work. Originally designed as an experiemental project, Lychee's themes of youthful rebellion, deus ex machina destruction, and attractive designs won over a generation of readers and critics, leading the way for Furuya to take on other high-profile projects.

A surreal yet touching horror/comedy, The Lychee Light Club mixes elements of French Le Théâtre du Grand-Guignol and with modern day pop-culture tropes. Shocking, sexy, and innovative, the The Lychee Light Club is at the pinnacle of modern day Japanese seinen manga. Story and art by Usamaru Furuya.

SzyFZ.jpg

FEB111185 7 BILLION NEEDLES GN VOL 04 $10.95
MAR111189 BAREFOOT GEN TP VOL 02 (O/A) $14.95
FEB111194 DEATH NOTE BLACK ED TP VOL 03 $14.99
FEB111135 GUNSLINGER GIRL OMNIBUS TP VOL 02 (OF 2) $15.99
FEB111216 WE WERE THERE GN VOL 12 (RES) $9.99

cbd_header10-1.png

Shipping This Week: Archie Comics / DC Kids / Marvel Kids / Bongo Comics / Boom! Studios / Kids' Comics / Electric Milk

Spotlight On:
MAR110834 RICHIE RICH #1 (OF 4) $3.95

tsekJ.jpg

The classic Harvey Comics character returns! After learning of a long lost treasure buried deep beneath the waters of the south Pacific south, Richie and the gang investigate, only to learn that there are other interested parties privy to the prizes, including a mysterious enemy and his band of modern day pirates! Story by Bill Williams, art by Tina Francisco and Jack Lawrence.

2NK7S.jpg

jWoCY.jpg

MAR110370 LOONEY TUNES #198 $2.99
MAR110371 SCOOBY DOO WHERE ARE YOU #9 $2.99
FEB110238 TINY TITANS TP VOL 05 FIELD TRIPPIN $12.99
MAR110635 OZMA OF OZ #6 (OF 8) $3.99
FEB110743 ARCHIE DOUBLE DIGEST #218 $3.99
MAR110993 CHIP N DALE RESCUE RANGERS #6 $3.99
MAR110833 KUNG FU PANDA #1 (OF 4) $3.95
SEP100781 MOUSE GUARD BLACK AXE #2 (OF 6) $3.50
FEB110751 SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #224 $2.99
MAR111001 UNCLE SCROOGE #403 $3.99

cbd_header11.png

Spotlight On:
FEB110373 BAT BOY WEEKLY WORLD NEWS STRIPS HC BY PETER BAGGE $17.99

WrgAt.jpg

Collected for the first time in one deluxe hardcover edition, Peter Bagge's Bat Boy strips, which ran in the Weekly World News for two years, are filled with all the insanity, inanity, and cartoonish humor you'd expect from a team-up between Bagge (Hate) and the Bat Boy (beloved).

See Bat Boy attain the office of the Presidency (alongside adopted First Lady Martha Stewart and Secretary of Defense Li'l Kim) and much other craziness. Story and art by Peter Bagge.

Mnd8E.jpg

ZMmjV.jpg

NOV100264 DELIRIUMS PARTY A LITTLE ENDLESS STORYBOOK HC $14.99
FEB110260 DMZ TP VOL 10 COLLECTIVE PUNISHMENT (MR) $14.99
FEB110207 JONAH HEX NO WAY BACK TP $14.99
MAR110800 TASKMASTER TP UNTHINKABLE $14.99
FEB110653 THOR FOR ASGARD HC $24.99
NOV100638 X-MEN FALL OF MUTANTS HC $99.99
DEC100085 ARCHIE ARCHIVES HC VOL 01 $49.99
JAN111233 ALEXANDRO JODOROWSKY SCREAMING PLANET HC $24.95
JAN110938 CYCLOPS HC (MR) $19.95
MAR111223 NEXT DAY GN $16.95

cbd_header12-1.png

Spotlight On:
FEB110652 THOR ART OF THOR MOVIE HC $49.99

Qwi8j.jpg

Continuing their popular ART OF series of movie tie-in books, Marvel presents its latest blockbuster achievement! Featuring exclusive production artwork, behind-the-scenes photography, and in-depth interviews with the cast and crew, THE ART OF THOR provides an insider's look into the making of the highly anticipated film directed by Kenneth Branagh, and starring Chris Hemsworth, Anthony Hopkins and Natalie Portman. Written by comic-book author and historian Matthew K. Manning with dynamic page designs by MAZ!

CLta2.jpg

AUG100069 CLASSIC ARCHIE CHARACTER STATUE #1 ARCHIE $49.95 - also available this week: #2 Veronica and #3 Betty.
DEC100090 DOMO 2 INCH MYSTERY QEE FIG SER 3 PI
DEC100099 TOY STORY WOODYS ROUNDUP #1 WOODY STATUE $49.95 - also available this week: #2 Bullseye and #3 Jessie.
JAN112012 GREEN HORNET 2011 BD & DVD PI
MAR111447 UNOFFICIAL CARTOON GUIDE HE MAN MASTERS O/T UNIVERSE $24.00

cbd_header01.png

Online Retailers of Comic Books & Graphic Novels:

Online Subscription Services for Monthly Comics:

Get Comics Books on Your iPod, iPad & iPhone:

Comic Shop Locator:

cbd_header13.png

Comic Book Resources: DC Comics Solicitations for July 2011
Newsarama: DC Comics Solicitations for July 2011

Comic Book Resources: Marvel Comics Solicitations for July 2011
Newsarama: Marvel Comics Solicitations for July 2011

Comic Book Resources: Image Comics Solicitations for May 2011
Newsarama: Image Comics Solicitations for May 2011

Comic Book Resources: Dark Horse Comics Solicitations for July 2011
Newsarama: Dark Horse Comics Solicitations for July 2011

Newsarama: Dynamite Entertainment Solicitations for May 2011

Comic Book Resources: IDW Publishing Solicitations for June 2011
Newsarama: IDW Publishing Solicitations for June 2011

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Want previews? Then here ya go, courtesy of Comic Book Resources and Newsarama . Enjoy! :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An astonishingly light week for me (Herc and Uncanny X-Force) so I decided to wait on going to the shop until Saturday. That way, I can check out the new THOR movie afterwards and partake in my first Free Comic Book Day in what, ohhh, three years maybe? Four?

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/

Happy reading! :D

Ooo, I may pick up that Fear Itself Spider-Man. I've been in the mood for Spidey. I don't really remember anything from Fear Itself one so I'll probably pick up two, read them, and see if I'll continue.

notworksafe

Moon Knight? :O Well well well.

Also getting Deadpool and X-Force (even though I still haven't read 6-8).

What's the word on Fear Itself? I'm tiring of events and I have the (mostly unpopular) opinion that Thor is lame, but I like Matt Fraction so I am unsure.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Not a huge week here either, will probablu make move my ass for my comics next week for Batman Inc #6. Feels good to pick up a huuuuuge stack of books because you only went at your LCS once in the month.

ADVENTURE COMICS #526
DC COMICS PRESENTS SON OF SUPERMAN #1, ordered it at the comic shop because of J.H.Williams III anyone here already read it?
DOOM PATROL #22, I'll miss you Doom Patrol...
SECRET SIX THE REPTILE BRAIN TP

Also, I read the end of Brightest Day. Got my WTF moment regarding the two characters everyone talked about coming back to the DCU, count me in the "I want to believe they can do nice stuff" camp. Forgot to pick up Generation Lost #23 but not #24 so I'll have to wait a bit more to read the end of that. Might pick up Fear Itself #1+2 too.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Slow week, but I picked up

Fear Itself #2
Fear Itself: Homecoming #2
Uncanny X-Force #9
Doom Patrol #22
Sweet Tooth #21
Deadpool Annual #1

UXF- Pretty solid issue, dealing with Magneto's past and all that. Relatively lowkey, but the ending is goooood.

Doom Patrol- It's continuing the last issues story pretty much. The fight to take back the island was great and next issue is shaping up to be rad.

Sweet Tooth- 2nd issue of the current arc. I'm diggin' it. I don't really know who else is reading it though, which is a shame.

Deadpool Annual- PLEASE LET JOHN LAYMAN TAKE OVER FOR THE MAIN SERIES...THIS WAS FANTASTIC!

Haven't read either Fear Itself issues yet, but I liked #1 (for the main series) and Homefront has a really really good Speedball series that is worth the cover price alone.

Only Sweet Tooth for me this week. I thought about Moon Knight but the Maleev/$4 combo was a deal breaker.

I thought Marvel announced they were also gonna follow through with $2.99 pricing for new titles after DC announced their $2.99 plan.

Did that never happen?

notworksafe

Point 1 issues are 2.99. So are the CrossGen reboots. Not sure if that is going to carry over to the rest of their books though.

Moon Knight #1: You know, as much as I loved this creative team on Daredevil, this felt a little half baked. Like, there's barely a status quo established, and half the issue seems devoted to HE'S NOT LAME HE'S COOL LOOK HE'S FRIENDS WITH WOLVERINE AND SPIDER-MAN AND CAPTAIN AMERICA THINKS HE'S REALLY TOTALLY IMPORTANT EVEN THOUGH HE NEVER SAID TWO WORDS TO HIM IN 12 ISSUES OF SECRET AVENGERS HE'S IN THE COOL CLUB KEEP BUYING!!! Plus it felt kind of off to me that he's fighting Mr Hyde who two weeks ago was in the Raft and about to join the Thunderbolts. I don't know if Moony's still crazy or has the robo-armour or his moon-plane or whatever. He just has moonarangs here. Plus they did the thing where the characters who are always front and centre stand around and do nothing to make the main character look important in his own book. "Hey Moon Knight, stand in the middle while we stay silent except to ask you what you think." I dunno, it was alright, I'll get the next issue, it just felt kind of off.

This was pretty cool. You just don't realize it until the last page sinks in.

Silver Surfer #3: So last issue it said "2 of 4" on the cover, and I was like, "y'know, even though this is lame I'll just get the last two issues and finish the mini." But then this month it says "3 of 5" and it still sucks so I'm kind of in the same predicament. I swear I've seen almost every single element of this issue appear in some other game/movie/comic. Like the "oh no, our ship is trashed!" "don't worry, we can just ride the engine by putting ropes on it. Yahoo!" thing. Wasn't that in one of the shitty Star Wars movies? I forget. Anyway, the art is always doing like closeups of his elbow or something so I don't really know what happens the whole way through, except that he's still a lame human with way too much mascara, which is what NOBODY IN THE WORLD buys a Silver Surfer comic to read about.

Thunderbolts: From the Vault: Random inventory issue from 2003 gets published, in which Nomad goes around and encounters one page vignettes from the Thunderbolts' past and discovers that they're alright people. I'm sure I don't have to tell you this, but Nomad sucked. Brubaker killed him like 6 years ago in Captain America to rack up some villain's badass meter and I don't think anybody flinched. At least that's what I thought, there was a letters page in the back and all these people were like "Nomad rules, he is the most important person in my life, please make it so he was shot with a time bullet and bring him back." (I didn't even make any of that up). I guess what Kurt Busiek said is true, every character is somebody's favourite, but...why?

Osborn #5 Finally something I really liked! So this mini wasn't super-important or anything
he spends 4 issues breaking out of superjail and then goes back to screw over the system in issue 5. So he's still in prison.
but it was really well done. I think I might have mentioned that for the other 4 issues. Kelly Sue Deconnick can write, and Emma Rios has an awesome art style. I hope they work together on something again soon. I recommend checking out the trade when it hits.

Batman Inc #5: This takes it down a notch after the outright insanity of issue #4, but was still enjoyable. It got a bit confusing with the part where the doctor was walking with his assistant, but fortunately Batman is smarter than me and able to provide plot summaries as he goes. Also, that guy looks too cool to just be called The Hood. Reminds me too much of the Marvel guy.
I hope he gets the Hammer of Albion and then yells "I am worthy!"

FF #2: For some reason I got it into my head that I was going to drop this book but this talked me out of it. I would have rather seen two pages of Doom's memories getting transferred than of Valeria staring at him like a dummy, but whatever. Last page was was cool.
Reed's daughter & father gave Doom his memories back so they could destroy Reed! I dunno, it worked.

krypt0nian said:
At first I was liking some down time, but then it came across as a backup tale from some anthology. =(

Yeah. I should probably reread it someday without the white hot anticipation of a new UXF behind it, but yeah. You pretty much nailed it.

Tucah

you speak so well
Ahhhh totally forgot it was Wednesday and now it's too late to get my fucking FEAR ITSELF and I have to wait until tomorrow goddamn.

Sorry, venting, I get testy when I miss comic day :mad:

Mistouze

BenjaminBirdie said:
Yo, Fear Itself.

YO!!!!

NEXT ISSUE:
THE HAMMER THAT FELL ON YANCY STREET

I fucking love comics.

I LOVE COMICS.
So, it's good? I remember reading in a review of #1 on comicsalliance (review that I can't find anymore thanks to their shitty search engine) that it kinda had a Final Crisis vibe. What gives?

Mistouze said:
So, it's good? I remember reading in a review of #1 on comicsalliance (review that I can't find anymore thanks to their shitty search engine) that it kinda had a Final Crisis vibe. What gives?

Yeah it kinda does. But it's its own thing. I mean, it's Fraction and Immonen so, yeah. It's fantastic.

LiveFromKyoto said:
Moon Knight #1: You know, as much as I loved this creative team on Daredevil, this felt a little half baked. Like, there's barely a status quo established, and half the issue seems devoted to HE'S NOT LAME HE'S COOL LOOK HE'S FRIENDS WITH WOLVERINE AND SPIDER-MAN AND CAPTAIN AMERICA THINKS HE'S REALLY TOTALLY IMPORTANT EVEN THOUGH HE NEVER SAID TWO WORDS TO HIM IN 12 ISSUES OF SECRET AVENGERS HE'S IN THE COOL CLUB KEEP BUYING!!! Plus it felt kind of off to me that he's fighting Mr Hyde who two weeks ago was in the Raft and about to join the Thunderbolts. I don't know if Moony's still crazy or has the robo-armour or his moon-plane or whatever. He just has moonarangs here. Plus they did the thing where the characters who are always front and centre stand around and do nothing to make the main character look important in his own book. "Hey Moon Knight, stand in the middle while we stay silent except to ask you what you think." I dunno, it was alright, I'll get the next issue, it just felt kind of off.

Oh. Wait. Wait a minute.

What the last page meant finally sunk in.

Damn, I feel dumb now.

Look around him!

Dangit.

KidDork said:
X-Force
Secret Six
Jennifer Blood

I've managed to stay away from Fear Itself so far.

You may be making a mistake. Even some of the side stuff has been fun, especially Homefront.

As if you needed another reason to attend FCBD 2011 this year:

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/05/05/free-comic-book-day-2011-fcbd/

IXBvi.jpg

Captain America and Thor: the Mighty Fighting Avengers, from Marvel Comics
I know I just said that Atomic Robo was this year's best FCBD story, but man, Marvel's offering is a close second. Created by Roger Langridge and Chris Samnee -- the same team that brought you the sadly canceled Thor: The Mighty Avenger, for which this is more or less the lost 9th issue -- this one manages to tie into both of Marvel's summer movie offerings and still stand on its own as a great all ages story with a tale of how Captain America and Thor teamed up with King Arthur to stop Loki from stealing the Holy Grail.

I'm going to go ahead and go through that one more time, just so we're all on the same page here: This is a comic book where Captain America and Thor team up with King Arthur to stop Loki from stealing the Holy Grail. And it's free.

The only downside is that if you're like me, it brings back the sting of Thor: TMA getting canceled with a reminder of just how great that book was. At the same time, though, it's the perfect stepping stone for kids coming out of the Thor movie wanting to read more that could lead them right into the two TMA trades and the aforementioned Brian Clevinger's brilliant Captain America: The Fighting Avenger one-shot. It's a nice piece of marketing on Marvel's part that's also a genuinely great story in its own right, and again: That's what FCBD is all about.
This is the ninth issue of TMA, people. Don't sleep on it.

Two things. Two things I've wanted forever and now I get both.

1) Levitz Legion series - check
2) Cloak & Dagger monthly - check

Marvel + Nick Spencer + Emma Rios + My Faves = Street level perfection

Not sure how I feel about another Ultimate Universe revamp but it's probably for the better. They didn't really think about what they wanted to do in the post Ultimatum mess and with Hickman and Spencer (Morning Glories, Shuddertown) coming on as key creators alongside Bendis there is a lot of potential for awesome.

Astonishing Thor #4: Mike Choi draws lots of big pretty pictures, but not a whole lot of story gets told here. Having Thor fight two planets should make for a pretty cool climax though.

Legion of Superheroes #12: Usually issue #12 is the wrapup to the first year's stories, but not here. This feels like more of a penultimate issue, but of course there are always 8 stories happening at once in this book so some others clearly have a ways to go. Overall it wasn't a bad issue, with the usual slate of hero moments.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
LiveFromKyoto said:
Oh. Wait. Wait a minute.

What the last page meant finally sunk in.

Damn, I feel dumb now.

Look around him!

Dangit.

thats when i bowed out. its been fun, but marc is crazy enough without that.

Slayven

SpiderJerusalem said:
I ended up grabbing the first Fear Itself ..
I knew Asgard was on Earth for some reason but why is it all destroyed?
Norman Osborn invaded and when he started losing. He told Sentry "to bring it all down."

Blader5489 said:
Hold the fucking phone.

Hickman is writing the next series of The Ultimates?!

TAKE MY MONEY!

Love Hickman but never going back to the Ultimate universe. I wish he was doing a different book. :(

Mistouze

krypt0nian said:
Love Hickman but never going back to the Ultimate universe. I wish he was doing a different book. :(
I had the same feeling but then I read Ultimate Thor and now I'm hyped. I'll be getting Ultimate Hawkeye for sure. And Millar is probably gone for good once he's done with his U.Avengers crap.

Platy

Sorry to bump this ... but on this day it was also released a new printing of the first Little Endless Storybook .... wich has 64 pages... wich is 8 pages more than the last edition

And i can't find ANYWHERE what are in these 8 pages !!!

Anyone can help ? =x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom