• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comics Are Dead, Long Live Manga!

Lupingosei

Banned
april.jpg

And they wonder why manga eats their lunch

april.jpg

And they wonder why manga eats their lunch

It's not the lazy art and the endless reheating of the same story beats, it's us crusaders who are at fault.
Let this thread die before it gets closed for being too political. We can't have it interrupt the usual product shilling.

Yes, I'm salty.

Lupingosei

Banned
It's not the lazy art and the endless reheating of the same story beats, it's us crusaders who are at fault.
Let this thread die before it gets closed for being too political. We can't have it interrupt the usual product shilling.

Yes, I'm salty.
Well that too, but for me it is more about that they could not even spell April correct in the title of the damn book.

And not only that, it even went on their website for promotion, nobody even saw that or questioned it.

How numb do you have to be to work at IDW.

Well that too, but for me it is more about that they could not even spell April correct in the title of the damn book.

And not only that, it even went on their website for promotion, nobody even saw that or questioned it.

How numb do you have to be to work at IDW.

I didn't even notice the Arpil, I was too taken aback by the artwork.
Good catch :messenger_tears_of_joy:

sol_bad

And again. There have been over 200 issues of Ninja Turtles from IDW but only now it's brought up because of that cover. What are your thoughts on the other 200 issues?
Who am I kidding. Of course you haven't actually read any of it.

Azurro

Banned
And again. There have been over 200 issues of Ninja Turtles from IDW but only now it's brought up because of that cover. What are your thoughts on the other 200 issues?

I know I'm talking to the tailend of the Hollywood human centipede, but whatever. Look, it's not the job of the readers to look past bad and/or woke covers, characters, illustrations or plot synopsis.

It's the publishers job to make their comic/manga/book attractive to the reader so that they want to buy it. In this sense you are completely out of place at acting indignant that people don't want to read things with covers/illustrations as shit as that.

Lupingosei

Banned
Who cares?

They do not even care. If they did, they never would have spelt the name of the protagonist wrong and it would not have passed everybody and landed on their marketing homepage.

They put together some older stories and slapped a low effort artwork on the cover. Now they hope somebody will buy it.

sol_bad

I know I'm talking to the tailend of the Hollywood human centipede, but whatever. Look, it's not the job of the readers to look past bad and/or woke covers, characters, illustrations or plot synopsis.

It's the publishers job to make their comic/manga/book attractive to the reader so that they want to buy it. In this sense you are completely out of place at acting indignant that people don't want to read things with covers/illustrations as shit as that.

Considering that IDW have had the TMNT license for 10 years and have produced over 250 comics, about 50 TPBs and 13 deluxe hardcovers and none of the drama crowd have ever mentioned it I'm pretty sure they have done well with their art and covers.
uI0Ywva.jpg

Of course no one from the drama crowd would want to discuss how well made these books are and how beautiful they are.

UIhakRT.jpg
HPzetal.jpg
VxkioBB.jpg
K3DT9RJ.jpg
CnZs1bQ.jpg
5CbEOI9.jpg
lbUxcyC.jpg

This mediocrity is increasingly prevalent and tainting the rest. It's like driving a frikkin' Ford Pinto or eating a soup with a drop of urine in it. These problems stick out and are driving people straight into the arms of the competition. There's only so much crap that audiences are willing to take. If your only defense is "but other stuff doesn't suck so bad", then you've already conceded subpar quality.

Of course they also introduced a token female Ninja Turtle in order to promptly make her into a furry lesbian:

9dce896012ee49570f38606dc173e3f4371fe615.png

Frikkin' Ninja Turtles don't need to be sexualised. You ever seen a Turtle penis? Yeah, trust me you don't want to. I don't want to see Turtles kissing and having sexual relations to be honest.
They also introduced a pink Turtle from the future that is just pure cringe:

tmnt-114-pink-feature.jpg

Pretty much explains why their highest selling book, issue #100, sold a measly 50.000 copies. It's also the reason why their TMNT Universe series got canned after a measly 25 issues in 2018. Even hardcore Turtle fans are worried by the low numbers.
IDW is severely struggling with sales in general, a year ago their top comics were Marvel Action Spider-Man #12 (8,873) Shredder in Hell #5 (8,995) Sonic the Hedgehog #24 (9,617) Dying is Easy #1 (14,776) and finally TMNT #100 (53,945).

IDW Publishing sales declined and profits swung to a loss in the company’s fiscal Q1 ended January 31, parent IDW Media Holdings said in its quarterly report. Sales by the publishing division were $5.8 million, down from $6.3 million in the same period a year ago. IDW Publishing lost around $400,000 in the quarter, vs. a $100,000 profit in the same period a year ago. [...] IDW Entertainment lost $4.6 million on sales of $2.8 million, as it continues to work through money-losing production deals.

Yeah, they sure are doing 'fantastic'...

sol_bad

This mediocrity is increasingly prevalent and tainting the rest. It's like driving a frikkin' Ford Pinto or eating a soup with a drop of urine in it. These problems stick out and are driving people straight into the arms of the competition. There's only so much crap that audiences are willing to take. If your only defense is "but other stuff doesn't suck so bad", then you've already conceded subpar quality.

Of course they also introduced a token female Ninja Turtle in order to promptly make her into a furry lesbian:

9dce896012ee49570f38606dc173e3f4371fe615.png

Frikkin' Ninja Turtles don't need to be sexualised. You ever seen a Turtle penis? Yeah, trust me you don't want to. I don't want to see Turtles kissing and having sexual relations to be honest.
They also introduced a pink Turtle from the future that is just pure cringe:

tmnt-114-pink-feature.jpg

Pretty much explains why their highest selling book, issue #100, sold a measly 50.000 copies. It's also the reason why their TMNT Universe series got canned after a measly 25 issues in 2018. Even hardcore Turtle fans are worried by the low numbers.
IDW is severely struggling with sales in general, a year ago their top comics were Marvel Action Spider-Man #12 (8,873) Shredder in Hell #5 (8,995) Sonic the Hedgehog #24 (9,617) Dying is Easy #1 (14,776) and finally TMNT #100 (53,945).

Yeah, they sure are doing 'fantastic'...

1: Thanks for spoiling something about the story. I'm personally only up to #30.
2: IDW is a small publisher and will rarely if ever reach the same sales numbers as Marvel/DC.
3: Maybe you should read your own links better.

If you read through the conversation, sales numbers for TMNT actually increased after #100, that's a positive.

"Sales were up in comics and down in games, according to the report, with digital sales leading the way with a 68% year-over-year increase."
It's the video game division that is causing the losses, not comics.

Universe may have stopped after 25 issues due to poor sales or it may not have. For the majority of time IDW were releasing micro issues, just like Mirage did back in the 80's. Micros are basically one shot single issues about individual characters. I've read ones for the 4 Turtles, Casey, April, Baxter, Krang, Hob, Fugitoid, Hun, Shredder, Karai and Bebop & Rocksteady. IDW decided to experiment, they stopped the micro series and tried TMNT Universe. Some single issue stories, some 2 partners, some 4 parters, not always involving the Turtles as the primary characters.
Universe may not have sold poorly per se but the micro issues may have just sold better.
Can't fault them for trying something different.

1: Thanks for spoiling something about the story. I'm personally only up to #30.
2: IDW is a small publisher and will rarely if ever reach the same sales numbers as Marvel/DC.
3: Maybe you should read your own links better.

1. What spoiler? The furry lesbian kiss that happeed in a Turtles comic over a years ago? Don't be ridiculous. If you're afraid of spoilers, what are you doing in this thread anyway?
2. IDW is a small publisher, but the sales are still abysmal. Their best comic books sells like 8k copies.
3. I've read the link, the increase in sales was for digital and they are operating at a loss. Games are down because nobody buys this crap:

TMNT-Change-is-Constant.jpg

They make losses because their products suck, comics included. This is a far cry from the rosy situation that you tried to paint previously. Their GI Joe writer Aubrey Sitterson already ran that franchise into the ground:

1529088869532.jpg
GIJOE_ONGO2016_07-cvrRI-600x911.jpg

IDW is releasing a variant cover, of the homoerotic variety, of their G.I. Joe comic.. They even brought in Lambda Award winning artist Ed Luce to design it.

Things got so bad they had to fire Sitterson:

Scarlett's Strike Force is set to debut in comic book stores on Dec. 27, but as confirmed by CBR, the book has already been cancelled with no issues planned after #3. Its fate was sealed more than a month before the book's "Final Order Cut-off" (FOC) date of Dec. 4, and the series will now end on a cliffhanger. While IDW has stated that the cancellation is due to low sales, observers have wondered if ongoing controversy surrounding series writer Aubrey Sitterson influenced the decision.

IDW are so "successfull" Chris Ryall had to step down as their own licenses are sinking them. They took on a huge debt and severely had to cut their costs, i.e. shrink down:

These moves are in response to IDW Media Holdings taking on a veritable buttload of debt, mainly due to the decision to finance their own television shows. IDW Media Holdings operated at a net loss of $4.1 million in the three-month period from November 2018 to January 2019, which was actually up from the same period a year prior, which saw a $4.5 million loss. For Q4 of 2018, which ended last October, IDW Media Holdings operated at a $28.3 million loss with $41.3 million in cost and expenses. At that time, the company had a comprehensive loss of $35.6 million since October 2017. [...] Though the percentage of revenue from direct market and traditional retail publishing sales grew in 2018, overall sales revenue was actually down. As a result, the company looked to expand revenue in other areas, such as licensing, to make up for the loss. Though the revenue from these other areas did not make up for the loss in sales revenue, IDW was able to maintain its gross profit margin, partially due to cost-cutting.

They were forced to pretty much replace their executives:

The hires follow IDW's most recent financial report which showed the publishing division lost $1.2 million during the period of May 1st to July 31st. Losses for Q3 were actually down from the previous quarter, where IDW Publishing lost $1.6 million. IDW also recently shuttered their Black Crown imprint and canceled a Magic The Gathering comic before publication.

This year they've managed to stay afloat because Netflix renewed Locke & Key and they sold their marketing division:

The company had net income of $2.5 million compared to a loss of $400,000 in last year’s second quarter. The improvement was mainly due to the sale of its CTM division, which distributes print and digital-based advertising and information advertising.

Say what you want, this is not a healthy company.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Considering that IDW have had the TMNT license for 10 years and have produced over 250 comics, about 50 TPBs and 13 deluxe hardcovers and none of the drama crowd have ever mentioned it I'm pretty sure they have done well with their art and covers.
uI0Ywva.jpg

Of course no one from the drama crowd would want to discuss how well made these books are and how beautiful they are.

UIhakRT.jpg
HPzetal.jpg
VxkioBB.jpg
K3DT9RJ.jpg
CnZs1bQ.jpg
5CbEOI9.jpg
lbUxcyC.jpg
What does any of that have to do with fucking up a cover?

Are you really so far up these companies' ass, you can't just admit they made a typo?

American comic books that were just comic books and not a political or social platform that were run by professional people that met deadlines for writing of the book, penciling and inking, lettering and coloring were the backbone of the industry. The moment we deviated from that, western comics began to decline. The further it deviated from that deviation, the more rapid the decline happened.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What does any of that have to do with fucking up a cover?

Are you really so far up these companies' ass, you can't just admit they made a typo?

It's Sol_Bad, so the answer is an unequivocal "yes".

They could literally wipe their asses with comic paper and sell it to him and he will sing its praises.

sol_bad

If anyone is interested in knowing about the different types of collected editions comic books have. There is a lot.

'Super Visible: The Story of the Women of Marvel' to Tackle Journey of Groundbreaking Women from 1939 to Today

Inspired by the hit podcast Women of Marvel, Super Visible: The Story of the Women of Marvel comes from New York Times bestselling author and Marvel creator Margaret Stohl (The Life of Captain Marvel, Black Widow: Forever Red) and Judy Stephens, producer and co-creator of the Women of Marvel. This eye-opening and engaging book celebrates the women and non-binary contributors who have helped make Marvel one of the most successful comics and entertainment companies in the world. [...] The Women of Marvel podcast, currently hosted by Judy Stephens, Ellie Pyle, and Angélique Roché, has been a perennial critical hit, running for over five years and 200 episodes. Between discussing feminism and representation in the Marvel universe, the publication of Super Visible: The Story of the Women of Marvel takes an even deeper dive and expands upon those conversations with vivid illustrations, and new, comprehensive material.

super_visible_rev_solcit_cvr.jpg

More compelling content from Marvel as they rewrite history in order to puff the egos of their narcissist writers.

Last edited:

Yoboman

One Piece recently overtook Batmam as the second best selling comic series ever

It will overtake Superman for the number 1 spot before it finishes its serialisation

One Piece recently overtook Batmam as the second best selling comic series ever

It will overtake Superman for the number 1 spot before it finishes its serialisation

this_is_fine.jpg

Not too long and Hollywood will be making manga adaptations instead of superhero movies. Alita and GitS are merely the beginning. Marvel is already diversifying into book publishing and DC basically shrunk down to a third of its size. But hey, I'm sure spoiled goth Dumpstarfire, queer Turtle furry and self-fellating stories about egocentric comic writers will turn the ship around.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
this_is_fine.jpg

Not too long and Hollywood will be making manga adaptations instead of superhero movies. Alita and GitS are merely the beginning. Marvel is already diversifying into book publishing and DC basically shrunk down to a third of its size. But hey, I'm sure spoiled goth Dumpstarfire, queer Turtle furry and self-fellating stories about egocentric comic writers will turn the ship around.

Gods I hope Hollywood stays the shit away from manga adaptations. Most of their comic adaptations have been mindless/mediocre and every attempt they have made outside of Alita has been horrible.

TonyK

can't wait to watch that video, I love to hear what the guy that made hundreds of thousands of $$$$ on preaching self control in difficult situations who went into a coma from drugs to cope with his difficult situation has to say about comicbooks
If a doctor says to you don't smoke because cigarettes are bad and then you see him smoking, that doesn't invalidate his advice, it only speaks about his capacity to apply his own advices.

DKehoe

Gold Member
can't wait to watch that video, I love to hear what the guy that made hundreds of thousands of $$$$ on preaching self control in difficult situations who went into a coma from drugs to cope with his difficult situation has to say about comicbooks
I'm not some huge fan of his but don't be a dick about drug issues. They can happen to anyone.

oagboghi2

Go clean your room

Is it any wonder that comics are losing so much popularity? It's not the price, the accessibility or the format, but the crappy storytelling and character designs. I get it, she's a Hulk, but they turned a fun and engaging character like Jennifer Walters into another Bruce Banner. Jen was a shy person who loved exploring the extroverted aspects of her green alter-ego. She loved being She-Hulk:

She-Hulk-Jennifer-Walters-Marvel-Comics-Early-c.jpg

I don't even know what this recent abomination is supposed to represent. Anyway, TSWG seems to be doing the lord's work in redesigning these characters:

zOmbTHF.jpg

The same goes for Peggy Carter:

E8d5i1eVIAE5u8x

Of course she's now being threatened on twitter by some woke cretins, which shows that awful people exist on every side of this debate. The zealots who a religiously defending their media are oftentimes worse than those who criticize it. So this whole narrative about youtube critics cultivating a toxic fandom is absolute baloney.

Meanwhile I watched the anime adaptation of "Record of Ragnarok" on Netflix and this is how Aphrodite was portrayed:

Adam%27s_Badass_Entrance__HD____Record_of_Ragnarok___Shuumatsu_No_Valkyrie_1-53_screenshot.png

Any questions? I think not.

Last edited:

Amiga

I would never know anything about all these books if they weren't constantly being complained about. Marvel/DC aren't shoving this stuff in my face, it's you guys and the dozen youtubers in the outrage industry. stop the free marketing for these books you hate then and post about the things you like the Spawn thread the other day.

oagboghi2

I would never know anything about all these books if they weren't constantly being complained about. Marvel/DC aren't shoving this stuff in my face, it's you guys and the dozen youtubers in the outrage industry. stop the free marketing for these books you hate then and post about the things you like the Spawn thread the other day.
Let people post what they want. Jesus

Amiga

Let people post what they want. Jesus
post whatever, just know how cause and effect work. triggering is a cheap and effective marketing tool. they fall for it every time.
also, getting obsessed radicalizes and makes someone hate things/people he usually wouldn't.

NahaNago

I don't mind the complaining I just wish that these youtubers would also talk about comics that they like or have liked. It is all outrage but I guess outrage does mean clicks.

NahaNago

You won't see them talk about comics they like, they don't read them. They just scoure the internet for SJW related news articles.
I did use to watch someone who did buy the comics that he hated on and would show a couple pages while ripping the story and art apart in his video. Haven't watched his stuff in awhile so I'm not sure if he still does it these days.

It isn't just SJW news it is any bad news is news for them. It is the reason I stopped watching a lot of youtubers. I need the basic info news, positive feel good stuff, as well as the negative opinions from my youtubers. The problem is that I tend to agree with a lot of their negative opinions on this stuff so I would really like to know where the decent to good stuff is at.

It honestly also could just be that they are only covering the most popular and outrageous stuff and aren't really into exploring new things. Grace Randolph has pretty much admitted she mostly does videos on things that will bring in the clicks which left me wondering is the pop culture stuff you talk about simply things you researched or are actually into. She isn't completely negative but she has very pro-gender/diversity bias in all of her reviews unfortunately.

On the gaming side I would add Yong Yea to outrage since 99% of his stuff was negative.

oagboghi2

post whatever, just know how cause and effect work. triggering is a cheap and effective marketing tool. they fall for it every time.
also, getting obsessed radicalizes and makes someone hate things/people he usually wouldn't.
Are you done with the lecture?
You won't see them talk about comics they like, they don't read them. They just scoure the internet for SJW related news articles.
oh my god fuck off sol_bad sol_bad . How many threads or posts are on neogaf do we see people recommending or celebrating a book, movie, music, whatever. Do you ignore those posts just to continue your little fantasy that no one likes anything.

I’m sorry not everyone loves trash as much as you do. At some point you have accept some people don’t like a thing, and stop assuming it’s some YouTube conspiracy.

Amiga

I’m sorry not everyone loves trash as much as you do. At some point you have accept some people don’t like a thing, and stop assuming it’s some YouTube conspiracy.

trash is ignored, not talked about all the time. you talk about these books because you disagree with the content, not the quality. totally different thing.

Lupingosei

Banned
trash is ignored, not talked about all the time. you talk about these books because you disagree with the content, not the quality. totally different thing.
The book I posted has a mistake in the title. And then we have things like this for example. Critics almost tripped over each other praising this book.

w11vni6574d21.jpg

Lazy art, lazy storytelling, lazy editing, everything remotely connected to the craft is getting thrown out. And when somebody criticizes it, it is of course because of the message.

The stories make no sense, but of course, are above criticism because of the message or the creator. The art is terrible and on the same level as Tumblr was. You just hate it because of the message.

People would not care about it if it was not presented in the laziest most stupid version. You can have beautiful stories about identity or other very difficult topics, drawn beautifully and well-edited. Mangas actually do have that. But US comics are just lazy pamphlets for the least creative people ever.

That is why they have to bully everybody out of the industry with some talent because their work looks so much worse compared to somebody who can actually draw or write a compelling story.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Are you done with the lecture?

oh my god fuck off sol_bad sol_bad . How many threads or posts are on neogaf do we see people recommending or celebrating a book, movie, music, whatever. Do you ignore those posts just to continue your little fantasy that no one likes anything.

Read the thread properly, we were talking about Youtubers.

Lupingosei

Banned
Read the thread properly, we were talking about Youtubers.
Yeah, let's talk about YouTubers. Richard Meyer for example was attacked, bullied, stalked, pretty much everything you can think of, because he said, a gay or female protagonist alone does not make not a compelling story. He made at least 30 videos about the Christopher Priest interview, how he criticized the comic industry for that stupid trend, that only a creator of the same race, sex, gender as the protagonist can draw or write a comic.

YouTubers don't talk that much about the message, they talk most of the time about lazy or stupid bs which is hidden behind the message. And the point is, comics are often so awful because they hired people without merit, based purely on their position on the progressive stack, and because of the bigotry of low expectations, their work is beyond criticism. This also happens on TV. Batwoman for example is not a bad TV show because it is a female superhero. It is a terrible TV show because of the lazy writing, world-building, and terrible characters.

You can try to deflect that, but the comic sales are in the gutter in a time, where most people had to stay at home and comic book movies were the biggest thing in the world. New comics are the least popular item in most comic shops and all of this while mangas are selling better than ever.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Yeah, let's talk about YouTubers. Richard Meyer for example was attacked, bullied, stalked, pretty much everything you can think of, because he said, a gay or female protagonist alone does not make not a compelling story. He made at least 30 videos about the Christopher Priest interview, how he criticized the comic industry for that stupid trend, that only a creator of the same race, sex, gender as the protagonist can draw or write a comic.

YouTubers don't talk that much about the message, they talk most of the time about lazy or stupid bs which is hidden behind the message. And the point is, comics are often so awful because they hired people without merit, based purely on their position on the progressive stack, and because of the bigotry of low expectations, their work is beyond criticism. This also happens on TV. Batwoman for example is not a bad TV show because it is a female superhero. It is a terrible TV show because of the lazy writing, world-building, and terrible characters.

You can try to deflect that, but the comic sales are in the gutter in a time, where most people had to stay at home and comic book movies were the biggest thing in the world. New comics are the least popular item in most comic shops and all of this while mangas are selling better than ever.

How many comics have you read in the last 12 years?

sol_bad

I'm not moving any goal posts. I think you talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

It's time consuming but not hard to mention what comics you have read in the last 12 years.
Most of what I've read in the last 12 years.

Black Beetle #1-5
Veil #1-5
Dark Horse Star Wars #1-20
New 52 Animal Man #0-29
New 52 Batman #0-52
Batman Rebirth #1-20
Detective Comics Rebirth #934-945
New 52 The Flash #0-52
New 52 Justice League #0-52
New 52 Justice League of America #1-14
New 52 Justice League Unite #0-10
New 52 Green Lantern #0-52
New 52 Superman #32-44
New 52 Swamp Thing #1-40
More Than Meets the Eye #1-8
Robots in Disguise #1-9
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1-28 + minis
Alex + Ada #1-15
The Black Monday Murders #1-8
Black Science #1-43
Cyberforce #1-11
Deadly Class #1-25
Decender #1-32
East of West #1-45
The Fade Out #1-12
The Fix #1-12
Generation Gone #1-5
Injection #1-10
Jupiter's Legacy #1-5
Jupiter's Circle #1-6
Kill or be Killed #1-20
Lazerus #1-28
Low #1-6
Mind the Gap #1-17
Murder Falcon #1-8
Nameless #1-6
Oblivion Song #1-5
Outcast #1-10
Planetoid #1-5
Regression #1-10
Revival #1-47
Royal City #1-14
Saga #1-54
Seven to Eternity #1-12
Sex #1-34
Sex Criminals #1-25
Starlight #1-6
Tokyo Ghost #1-12
Trees #1-5
Velvet #1-15
Wayward #1-10
We Stand on Guard #1-6
The Wicked + The Divine #1-6
Wytches #1-6
A-Force (2015) #1-5
A-Force (2016) #1-7
All New Hawkeye (2015A) #1-5
All New Hawkeye (2015B) #1-3
All New Inhumans (2015) #1-4
All New Wolverine (2015) #1-6
All New X-Men (2012) #1-41
All New All Different Avengers (2015) #1-4
Amazing Adventures (1970) #1-10
Amazing Spider-Man (1963) #1-104
Amazing Spider-Man (1999) #679.1-700
Amazing Spider-Man (2014) #1-18
Amazing Spider-Man (2015) #1-10
Angela: Asgard's Assassin (2014) #1-5
Angela: Queen of Hel (2015) #1-5
Ant-Man (2015) #1-5
Astonishing Ant-Man (2015) #1-3
Astonishing Tales (1970) 1-11
Avengers (1963) #1-100
Avengers (2010) #1-34
Avengers (2012) #1-44
Avengers: Rage of Ultron
Black Knight (2015) #1-5
Black Panther and the Crew (2017) #1-6
Captain America (1968) #100-144
Captain America (2012) #1-25
Captain America: Sam Wilson (2015) #1-2
Captain America: White (2008) #1-6
Captain Marvel (1968) #1-21
Captain Marvel (2016) #1-6
Carnage (2015) #1-5
Contest of Champions (2015) #1-10
Daredevil (1964) #1-87
Daredevil (2011) #1-36
Daredevil (2014) #1-18
Daredevil (2015) #1-5
Deadpool (2012) #1-45
Deadpool (2015) #1-5
Death of X (2016) #1-4
Doctor Strange (1968) #169-183
Doctor Strange (2015) #1-2
Drax (2016) #1-5
Extraordinary X-Men (2015) #1-5
Fantastic Four (1961) #1-119
Fantastic Four (2012) #1-16
Fantastic Four (2014) #1-8
FF (2012) #1-16
Groot (2015) #1-6
Guardians the Galaxy (2013) #1-27
Guardians the Galaxy (2015) #1-5
Guardians Team Up (2015) #1-10
Hawkeye (2012) #1-22
Herculers (2015) #1-6
Howard the Duck (2015A) #1-5
Howard the Duck (2015B) #1-5
Incredible Hulk (1962) #1-6, #102-144
Indestructible Hulk (2012) #1-20
Invincible Iron Man (2008) #500-527
Invincible Iron Man (2015) #1-5
Iron Man (1968) #1-48
Iron Man (2012) #1-28
Journey into Mystery (1952) #83-125
Karnak (2015) #1-6
Legendary Star Lord (2014) #1-12
Marvel Alien (2021) #1-5
Marvel Conan the Barbarian (1970) #1-10
Marvel Star Wars #1-25
Marvel Star Wars Darth Vader #1-25
Marvel Star Wars Doctor Aphra #1-13
Marvel Star Wars Kanan #1-12
Marvel Star Wars Obi-Wan and Anakin #1-5
Marvel Star Wars Poe Dameron #1-25
Marvel Star Wars Princess Leia #1-5, , Chewbacca #1-5, Han Solo #1-5, Lando #1-5
Marvel Star Wars Shattered Empire #1-4
Red She-Hulk (2012) #58-67
Mighty Thor (2011) #1-22
Mighty Thor (2015) #1-5
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur (2015) #1-6
Ms. Marvel (2014) #1-19
Ms. Marvel (2015) #1-4
New Avengers (2013) #1-33
New Avengers (2015) #1-2
Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD (1968) #1-15
Old Man Logan (2015) #1-5
Old Man Logan (2016) #1-4
Original Sin (2014)#0-8
Red Wolf (2015) #1-6
Rocket Raccoon (2014) #1-11
Scarlet Witch (2015) #1-4
Silk (2015A) #1-7
Silk (2015B) #1-6
Silver Surfer (1968) #1-18
Spider-Gwen (2015A) #1-5
Spider-Gwen (2015B) #1-6
Spider-Man (2016) #1-2
Spider-Man 2099 (2014) #1-12
Spider-Man 2099 (2015) #1-3
Spider-Woman (2014) #1-10
Spider-Woman (2015) #1-5
Squadron Supreme (2015) #1-5
Star Lord (2015) #1-5
Strange Tales (1951) #101-168
Sub-Mariner (1968) #1-46
Tales of Suspense (1959) #39-99
Tales to Astonish (1959) #27-101
Thor (1966) #126-184
Thor (2014) #1-8
Thor: God of Thunder (2012) #1-25
Totally Awesome Hulk (2015) #1-4
Ultimates (2015) #1-2
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (2015A) #1--8
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (2015B) #1-5
Uncanny Avengers (2012) #1-25
Uncanny Avengers (2015A) #1-5
Uncanny Avengers (2015B) #1-4
Uncanny Inhumans (2015) #1-4
Uncanny X-Force (2010) #1-35
Venom: Space Knight (2015) #1-6
Web Warriors (2015) #1-11
X-Men (1963) #1-66

Many are good, many are average, many are amazing.
Same with the art, some good, some bad. Sometimes the quality of the art isn't important, what is important is that it matches the tone of the story.

oagboghi2

I'm not moving any goal posts. I think you talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

It's time consuming but not hard to mention what comics you have read in the last 12 years.
Most of what I've read in the last 12 years.

Black Beetle #1-5
Veil #1-5
Dark Horse Star Wars #1-20
New 52 Animal Man #0-29
New 52 Batman #0-52
Batman Rebirth #1-20
Detective Comics Rebirth #934-945
New 52 The Flash #0-52
New 52 Justice League #0-52
New 52 Justice League of America #1-14
New 52 Justice League Unite #0-10
New 52 Green Lantern #0-52
New 52 Superman #32-44
New 52 Swamp Thing #1-40
More Than Meets the Eye #1-8
Robots in Disguise #1-9
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1-28 + minis
Alex + Ada #1-15
The Black Monday Murders #1-8
Black Science #1-43
Cyberforce #1-11
Deadly Class #1-25
Decender #1-32
East of West #1-45
The Fade Out #1-12
The Fix #1-12
Generation Gone #1-5
Injection #1-10
Jupiter's Legacy #1-5
Jupiter's Circle #1-6
Kill or be Killed #1-20
Lazerus #1-28
Low #1-6
Mind the Gap #1-17
Murder Falcon #1-8
Nameless #1-6
Oblivion Song #1-5
Outcast #1-10
Planetoid #1-5
Regression #1-10
Revival #1-47
Royal City #1-14
Saga #1-54
Seven to Eternity #1-12
Sex #1-34
Sex Criminals #1-25
Starlight #1-6
Tokyo Ghost #1-12
Trees #1-5
Velvet #1-15
Wayward #1-10
We Stand on Guard #1-6
The Wicked + The Divine #1-6
Wytches #1-6
A-Force (2015) #1-5
A-Force (2016) #1-7
All New Hawkeye (2015A) #1-5
All New Hawkeye (2015B) #1-3
All New Inhumans (2015) #1-4
All New Wolverine (2015) #1-6
All New X-Men (2012) #1-41
All New All Different Avengers (2015) #1-4
Amazing Adventures (1970) #1-10
Amazing Spider-Man (1963) #1-104
Amazing Spider-Man (1999) #679.1-700
Amazing Spider-Man (2014) #1-18
Amazing Spider-Man (2015) #1-10
Angela: Asgard's Assassin (2014) #1-5
Angela: Queen of Hel (2015) #1-5
Ant-Man (2015) #1-5
Astonishing Ant-Man (2015) #1-3
Astonishing Tales (1970) 1-11
Avengers (1963) #1-100
Avengers (2010) #1-34
Avengers (2012) #1-44
Avengers: Rage of Ultron
Black Knight (2015) #1-5
Black Panther and the Crew (2017) #1-6
Captain America (1968) #100-144
Captain America (2012) #1-25
Captain America: Sam Wilson (2015) #1-2
Captain America: White (2008) #1-6
Captain Marvel (1968) #1-21
Captain Marvel (2016) #1-6
Carnage (2015) #1-5
Contest of Champions (2015) #1-10
Daredevil (1964) #1-87
Daredevil (2011) #1-36
Daredevil (2014) #1-18
Daredevil (2015) #1-5
Deadpool (2012) #1-45
Deadpool (2015) #1-5
Death of X (2016) #1-4
Doctor Strange (1968) #169-183
Doctor Strange (2015) #1-2
Drax (2016) #1-5
Extraordinary X-Men (2015) #1-5
Fantastic Four (1961) #1-119
Fantastic Four (2012) #1-16
Fantastic Four (2014) #1-8
FF (2012) #1-16
Groot (2015) #1-6
Guardians the Galaxy (2013) #1-27
Guardians the Galaxy (2015) #1-5
Guardians Team Up (2015) #1-10
Hawkeye (2012) #1-22
Herculers (2015) #1-6
Howard the Duck (2015A) #1-5
Howard the Duck (2015B) #1-5
Incredible Hulk (1962) #1-6, #102-144
Indestructible Hulk (2012) #1-20
Invincible Iron Man (2008) #500-527
Invincible Iron Man (2015) #1-5
Iron Man (1968) #1-48
Iron Man (2012) #1-28
Journey into Mystery (1952) #83-125
Karnak (2015) #1-6
Legendary Star Lord (2014) #1-12
Marvel Alien (2021) #1-5
Marvel Conan the Barbarian (1970) #1-10
Marvel Star Wars #1-25
Marvel Star Wars Darth Vader #1-25
Marvel Star Wars Doctor Aphra #1-13
Marvel Star Wars Kanan #1-12
Marvel Star Wars Obi-Wan and Anakin #1-5
Marvel Star Wars Poe Dameron #1-25
Marvel Star Wars Princess Leia #1-5, , Chewbacca #1-5, Han Solo #1-5, Lando #1-5
Marvel Star Wars Shattered Empire #1-4
Red She-Hulk (2012) #58-67
Mighty Thor (2011) #1-22
Mighty Thor (2015) #1-5
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur (2015) #1-6
Ms. Marvel (2014) #1-19
Ms. Marvel (2015) #1-4
New Avengers (2013) #1-33
New Avengers (2015) #1-2
Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD (1968) #1-15
Old Man Logan (2015) #1-5
Old Man Logan (2016) #1-4
Original Sin (2014)#0-8
Red Wolf (2015) #1-6
Rocket Raccoon (2014) #1-11
Scarlet Witch (2015) #1-4
Silk (2015A) #1-7
Silk (2015B) #1-6
Silver Surfer (1968) #1-18
Spider-Gwen (2015A) #1-5
Spider-Gwen (2015B) #1-6
Spider-Man (2016) #1-2
Spider-Man 2099 (2014) #1-12
Spider-Man 2099 (2015) #1-3
Spider-Woman (2014) #1-10
Spider-Woman (2015) #1-5
Squadron Supreme (2015) #1-5
Star Lord (2015) #1-5
Strange Tales (1951) #101-168
Sub-Mariner (1968) #1-46
Tales of Suspense (1959) #39-99
Tales to Astonish (1959) #27-101
Thor (1966) #126-184
Thor (2014) #1-8
Thor: God of Thunder (2012) #1-25
Totally Awesome Hulk (2015) #1-4
Ultimates (2015) #1-2
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (2015A) #1--8
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (2015B) #1-5
Uncanny Avengers (2012) #1-25
Uncanny Avengers (2015A) #1-5
Uncanny Avengers (2015B) #1-4
Uncanny Inhumans (2015) #1-4
Uncanny X-Force (2010) #1-35
Venom: Space Knight (2015) #1-6
Web Warriors (2015) #1-11
X-Men (1963) #1-66

Many are good, many are average, many are amazing.
Same with the art, some good, some bad. Sometimes the quality of the art isn't important, what is important is that it matches the tone of the story.
What exactly is this suppose to prove?

Amiga

What exactly is this suppose to prove?

That he is qualified to give an opinion on the issue other than the hyperbolic "comics are dead".

comics are probably the lowest cost entertainment industry. just needs a couple of guys to put out 20 something pages a month. probably the only form of entertainment that can survive without an full active industry.

the actual issues people are having trouble with, but are not articulating directly, is that they don't like the direction some characters that they grew up with are being taken or altered. this is a totally different issue to the whole comics medium.

Most of what I've read in the last 12 years..

since you did the list already would you mind listing your top 10 favorites from each publisher since 2014, preferably complete runs. I'm making a backlog list but no way I can read even half of that.

oagboghi2

That he is qualified to give an opinion on the issue other than the hyperbolic "comics are dead".

comics are probably the lowest cost entertainment industry. just needs a couple of guys to put out 20 something pages a month. probably the only form of entertainment that can survive without an full active industry.

the actual issues people are having trouble with, but are not articulating directly, is that they don't like the direction some characters that they grew up with are being taken or altered. this is a totally different issue to the whole comics medium.

😂 How much crap do you have to buy before you are allowed to have an opinion on a comic book?

Amiga

😂 How much crap do you have to buy before you are allowed to have an opinion on a comic book?

thread is judging the whole industry. not just a specific bunch of books. Sol and I actually agree if you just say there is plenty of $#!t. but there are also good things out there, if you help the things you like find success you may get more of them.

sol_bad

since you did the list already would you mind listing your top 10 favorites from each publisher since 2014, preferably complete runs. I'm making a backlog list but no way I can read even half of that.

Sometimes I don't reply to oogie boogie because he seems to have trouble reading threads and understanding context.

I can mention the books I most recommend but you'll see with DC I haven't read too much. I stopped buying singles for Marvel at the end of 2015 after Secret Wars and stopped buying DC books in 2016 at the Rebirth event, bought a few Batman books though. I was just spending way too much money on singles and my backlog was building to unmanageable levels. I honestly feel this happens to almost everyone that buys singles at some point. Easier on the money to trade wait if you ask me.

Not in any order.

DC Comics
New 52 Animal Man - Written by Jeff Lemire and drawn primarily by Travel Foreman, Steve Pugh and John Paul Leon. From what I understand, even though the New 52 was a "reboot" of sorts, Animal Man retains his continuity prior to the New 52. Being my first Animal Man book I wasn't lost and understood everything. The story revolves around Buddy Baker and his family, the red totem and them being on the run from the Rot. It also has a bit of a cross over with Swamp Thing. I know it has a lame title but it is a great story and has great art that fits the tone of the story perfectly, very dark tone with some heavy themes. The first artist Travel Foreman actually stepped away from the book as his mother had recently died and he couldn't cope with what he was drawing. Jeff Lemire is a great writer and his other works should be looked over.
Ou4jL6T.jpg
CKsaM2G.jpg

New 52 Batman - Written by Scott Snyder, drawn by Greg Capullo and coloured by FCO Plascencia. All 3 of them are amazing on the book. Colourists don't generally get mentioned a lot but FCO takes Greg Capullo's amazing beautiful art and elevates it to a whole new level. Easy for new readers to slide into this book as well and Scott Snyder is another writer who I consider to be God tier. The Court of the Owls, Night of the Owls, Death of the Family, Zero Year, Dark City, Endgame and Superheavy are all great and memorable story arcs.
The Zero Year arc is quite breath taking. to look at
YOJgEBU.png

New 52 The Flash - Written and drawn by Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato until issue 25, there is a lot of fun to have here. I don't have any love for DC prior to New 52 so I don't no if this is considered sacrilege compared to the old stories but this is another easy jump in for new readers. You learn a lot about Barry Allen, the Speedforce and his rogues gallery including Captain Cold, Trickster, Weather Wizard, Glider, Heat Wave, Mirror Master, Reverse Flash and Gorilla Grodd. The Grodd War arc is my favourite arc in this book. You can keep reading from #26 to #52 but I personally don't remember as much about those issues. Francis Manapul has some very interesting panel layouts in some issues.
WE5UMzG.jpg
6D9qoyR.jpg

New 52 Justice League - Written by DC's superstar Geoff Johns and drawn by Jim Lee and whole host of other artists. I know I'm repeating myself but yet again another easy jump on point for new readers where you don't need to know the teams history. The first 6 issues or so are about the team coming together. Bunch of cool arcs in here in including the Throne of Atlantis, Trinity War, Forever Evil and Darkseid War, Snyder's movie was most definitely based on the Darkseid War in this book.
hOyEJmB.jpg

New 52 Swamp Thing - Also written by Scott Snyder and primarily drawn by Yanick Paquette until #18, then Charles Soule takes over writing duties with various artists. A lot of Scott Anyder's run involves the Rot and the Gren Totems, easily the best part of the book. Charles Soul's run involves The Seeder, The Surreen along with Swamp Thing struggling with The Green.
tD3IOKZ.jpg

I'll do Image and Marvel in 2 other separate posts.

Top Bottom