• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comics Gaf IOTI Lots of Capes And Stuff

J-Roderton

EFx1rCh.png

This thread has been created to talk about all things comics! Lets talk about stories you've been reading recently or make recommendations to others so they can find out awesome stuff as well. Whether you're still stacking up floppies or you've moved on to digital, this thread is your home.
Going forward I'll be updating the thread with weekly releases to stay in the loop.

I recently just really got back into reading over the summer. I have quite a few things on my pull list but here's a few standouts I've been digging recently:

FTW20Cn.jpg
04y2s99.jpg
0NbYjqI.jpg

quuGK0Z.jpg

Current Notable DC books: Action Comics, Aquaman, Batman, Batman Damned, Books of Magic, Detective Comics, Heroes In Crisis, Justice League Dark, Old Lady Harley, Sideways, Superman, The Green Lantern

Current Notable Marvel Books: Amazing Spider-Man, Asgardians Of The Galaxy, Black Panther, Uncanny X-Men, Daredevil, Hulk, Cosmic Ghost Rider

I'd get more into these but I mainly read DC books and don't know much about Marvel's current stuff. Like I said I've been out of the loop for a while. Maybe you can fill me in.

Of course you've got the big two, but there is also plenty of great books from other publishers like Image, Dark Horse, BOOM! Studios, IDW Publishing, and a helluva lot more. There's
pretty much a series for anyone of any age.

Resources

http://www.comiclist.com/index.php is a great one to find out what is coming out each week.
https://www.comicshoplocator.com/Home/1/1/57/575 is a way to find out the nearest shop to your home location.
Hypedrive - A really cool mobile app that tracks the release dates for whatever book you're following. It also follows video game releases, too, which is nice.

Shoutout Wings 嫩翼翻せ Wings 嫩翼翻せ for the killer banner.​

Wow nice OT!

latest

I’ve been invested in the Vader comics. I’ve really enjoyed them. The time gap between RotS and ANH has (so far) been covered real well imo.

I’m also a subscriber to Marvel Unlimited that runs well on my IPad.

I have been consuming anything Deadpool. I enjoy his team ups with Cable and also Spider-Man.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Awesome, I've been awaiting this thread.

I desperately need to get back into X-Men. I hear there's stuff about Professor X progeny and such that just seems tasty. It's been a while, but I enjoy binging good series so I think I'm really in for it.

J-Roderton

Yeah, haven't been into much new Marvel at all except for Cosmic Ghost Rider. It started off good enough that's for sure.

Awesome, I've been awaiting this thread.

I desperately need to get back into X-Men. I hear there's stuff about Professor X progeny and such that just seems tasty. It's been a while, but I enjoy binging good series so I think I'm really in for it.
I need to see aqua man and into the spider verse.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How do you guys normally get your comic fix? I've been picking up stuff from Amazon / Comixology for years now and it seems like they have a pretty good platform.

Usually I like to read comics that are peripherally related to other media I enjoy - I've been reading comics like TMNT and Doctor Who since I was a kid because I loved the TV shows. I read the Fables series because I liked The Wolf Among Us. So in that regard, I've never been a huge "Marvel guy" or "DC guy" but I really enjoy a good comic.

J-Roderton

How do you guys normally get your comic fix? I've been picking up stuff from Amazon / Comixology for years now and it seems like they have a pretty good platform.

Usually I like to read comics that are peripherally related to other media I enjoy - I've been reading comics like TMNT and Doctor Who since I was a kid because I loved the TV shows. I read the Fables series because I liked The Wolf Among Us. So in that regard, I've never been a huge "Marvel guy" or "DC guy" but I really enjoy a good comic.

The old fashioned way. Got a pull list at my local shop. Went in to snag Batman 50 over the summer and ended up picking up a lot more than I initially planned. My tablet is about to bite the dust so I don’t do much digital yet.

Yeah, haven't been into much new Marvel at all except for Cosmic Ghost Rider. It started off good enough that's for sure.
Have you read Batman Year One?

I pay for Marvel Unlimited and I am fortunate to live less than 15 minutes from a fabulous comic shop. Those 2 are all I use now

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I pay for Marvel Unlimited and I am fortunate to live less than 15 minutes from a fabulous comic shop. Those 2 are all I use now

I looked into Marvel Unlimited but like I said I usually don't follow their stuff that much so I'm probably not a good candidate to get the maximum out of a subscription like that. Also, there are no comic book shops within about 75 miles radius of where I live. I've got a few physical omnibus volumes (Walking Dead, a few Star Trek ones) but like I said I've been almost entirely digital for the better part of... 8 years or so.

I looked into Marvel Unlimited but like I said I usually don't follow their stuff that much so I'm probably not a good candidate to get the maximum out of a subscription like that. Also, there are no comic book shops within about 75 miles radius of where I live. I've got a few physical omnibus volumes (Walking Dead, a few Star Trek ones) but like I said I've been almost entirely digital for the better part of... 8 years or so.
How is comixology?

jshackles

How is comixology?

I don't have a lot to compare it to outside of Humble Bundle passing out PDFs which is a pretty terrible and sloppy experience. Comixology is nice because most of their stuff (unless it's super duper old) has been updated with their "guided view" mode that works really well with just about every screen / size I've thrown at it. Here's what it looks like in motion:

(skip to about 0:45 for the actual comic stuff, also mute this nonsense)

It makes reading coming a pretty good experience, especially since sometimes with paper comics I have a tendency to get "lost" as far as what speech bubbles go where.

petran79

Banned
The only comics I know well are Witchblade, The Preacher, Transmetropolitan and The Darkness.

I read Calvin and Hobbes at least. Will look forward to buy a hardcover edition if I can find it. Mafalda is another classic, but I wish to have read it in Spanish instead, since a lot is lost in translation.
Am not much into comics either, though I prefer the Franco-Belgian school. Last comics I read were all volumes of Yakari and Buddy Longway.

Europeans will have read most volumes of Asterix and Lucky Luke as well

I don't have a lot to compare it to outside of Humble Bundle passing out PDFs which is a pretty terrible and sloppy experience. Comixology is nice because most of their stuff (unless it's super duper old) has been updated with their "guided view" mode that works really well with just about every screen / size I've thrown at it. Here's what it looks like in motion:

(skip to about 0:45 for the actual comic stuff, also mute this nonsense)

It makes reading coming a pretty good experience, especially since sometimes with paper comics I have a tendency to get "lost" as far as what speech bubbles go where.

Awesome thank you. I'll check it out.

kunonabi

Only new series I keep up with is Renew Your Vows. Otherwise I'm just using comixology to catch up with 2006 Ms. Marvel and Smallville season 11. I sort of have my eye on Amazing Spider-Man since Slott is gone and MJ is back but im hesitant to really get into it before knowing if MJ is going to be a permanent thing or just a cheap stunt.

I dont like modern comics enough to give anything else a shot.

J-Roderton

Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese I used it on Roku and iPhone. Reading a comic on my tv was actually kinda cool. They’re a bit light on some content but pretty sure they’re planning on expanding a lot more.

J-Roderton

Weekend haul. Hadn't been to the shop in like three weeks. Only picked up maybe half of what I had waiting for me. I've never read any Bloodshot before but this one was awesome.

m0fHnZil.jpg

H9Ojvful.jpg

J-Roderton

Out this week 12/19/2018

Not listing every single thing but here's a bit for the week.

Boom! Studios
Adventure Time Volume 16 TP
Big Trouble in Little Chins Old Man Jack Volume 2
Black Badge #5
Firefly #2
Labyrinth Coronation #9
Klaus and The Crying Snowman #1
Lumerjanes #57
WWE Volume 4

Dark Horse
Call of Duty Zombies 2 #3
Lightstep #2
Neil Gaiman's American Gods My Ainsel #9

DC
Aquaman #43
Batman #61
Batman King of Fear #5
Catwoman #6
Justice League #14
Wonder Woman Volume 7 Amazons Attacked

Dynamite
James Bond 007 #2
John Wick #4
KISS Blood and Stardust #3
Red Sonja #24

IDW
GI Joe A Real American Hero #258
My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic #73
Star Wars Adventures #16
TMNT #89
Transformers Bumblebee Go for The Gold #1

Burnouts #4
Gideon Falls #9
Middlewest #2
Rat Queens #13
Rumble #10
Spawn #292

Marvel
Amazing Spider-Man #12
Avengers #9
Black Panther vs. Deadpool #3
Captain America #6
Dead Man Logan #2
Domino #9
Immortal Hulk #8
Infinity Wars #6
Life of Captain Marvel #5
Uncanny X-Men #6

Mucho more in the link

http://www.comiclist.com/index.php/newreleases/this-week

Last edited:

NahaNago

The majority of the comics I use to buy lately weren't dc or marvel but like mostly video game related. I did buy that Batman damned comic but I haven't read it yet. I mostly buy street fighter, sonic, tmnt, Bloodborne , aliens, some supersons, farmhand,bubba hotep?. There was series with a girl manipulating water I started collecting as well but I'm not liking the new artstyle. Big Trouble in Little China Old Man Jac that was a bit weird.

edit: I loved witchblade when I was a teenager. I've been thinking about collecting that series. I also liked Darkness as well but I barely remember that series.

Last edited:

J-Roderton

You gotta let me know how the Heroes in Crisis one fares, man. For one thing, that cover art is sick.

Read number 3 last night. I really like what they're doing with it. It's dark af. Can't really speak on much without giving it away, but it's probably my favorite series at the moment.

The mask on the cover is what the heroes/villians wear at the facility to remain anonymous during their stay.

Last edited:

tkscz

Yeah. I've heard good things.

I've kind of had a falling out with Marvel over the years. There will always be that one comic from them that I'll read but it's run will end and I won't check much out from them for a while. Immortal Hulk has that mystery element to it that intrigues me. I don't think it's as good as the Red She-Hulk run is, mainly because it lacks some of the fun and character, but it makes up for it in terms of an interesting story. Incredible Hulks was still the best Hulk run in my opinion, just really enjoyed a Hulk family.

Anyone here read Valiant comics? I am really excited for the Livewire series that just started. I need to go pick up my copy.

Weekend haul. Hadn't been to the shop in like three weeks. Only picked up maybe half of what I had waiting for me. I've never read any Bloodshot before but this one was awesome.

m0fHnZil.jpg

H9Ojvful.jpg

Bloodshot is great. I like to read it in collections. Jeff Lemire did an amazing run on it a few years back.

J-Roderton

Releases for 12/26/2018

BOOM! Studios
Bone Parish #5
Bone Parish Volume 1 TP

DC
Batman Beyond Volume 4 TP
Green Arrow War of The Clans Essential Edition TP
Nightwing Volume 7 TP
Superman The Rebirth Deluxe Edition HC

Dynamite Entertainment
Mars Attacks #3

IDW Publishing
Go-Bots #2
Marvel Action Avengers #1

Die!Die!Die! #6
Man-Eaters #4

Marvel
Fantastic Four #5
Superior Spider-Man #1
Uncanny X-Men #7
X-Force #1

http://www.comiclist.com/index.php

Y'all get anything cool this Christmas?

J-Roderton

Releases for 1/2/2019

DC

Action Comics #1006
Batgirl #30
Batman Beyond #27
Books of Magic #3
Detective Comics #995
Flash #61
Heroes In Crisis #4
Hex Wives #3
Injustice Vs The Masters of The Universe #6
Justice League Odyssey #4
Old Lady Harley #3
Reven Daughter of Darkness #11
Scarlet #5
Scooby Doo Team-up #45
Silencer #12
Terrifics #11
Titans #32
Wonder Woman #61

Marvel

Amazing Spider-Man #9
Avengers #10
Champions #1
Conan The Barbarian #1
Daredevil #609
Deadpool #8
Fantastic Four #3
Immortal Hulk #11
Infinity Wars Infinity #1
Killmonger #3
Man Without Fear #1
Marvel Knights 20th #5
Marvel Previews Volume 4 #18
Spider-Man Accross The Spider-Verse #1
Marvel Tales Fantastic Four #1
Mr. And Mrs. X #7
Return of Wolverine #2
Runaways #17
Shatterstar #4
Spider-Geddon #3
Star Wars Age of Republic Obi-Wan #1
Star Wars Han Solo Imperial Cadet #3
Tony Start Iron Man #7
True Believers Conan The Barbarian #1
Uncanny X-Men #8
Venom #8
Winter Soldier #2
Wolverine The Long Night Adaptation #1

Everything else for this week

NewComer

I just recently bought the Infinity Gauntlet comic a few months and am finishing now. I have to say...it has aged well: The art is neat, the plot is clear and fun. Some of the character interactions were interesting and engaging. Thanos had a monstrously fun character arc. I'm curious now, is the follow up Infinity Wars just as good?

Dacon

Banned
Heroes in Crisis is straight up doodoo but none of the sites want to talk about that and keep freaking out over silly accusations of "sexualization".

How tf was the Batgirl page sexualized? She's literally just showing someone her gunshot scars, if you think that's sexy it says more about you than anything lmao.

I really miss old Harley and Babs too. All babs seems to do in these books is bitch about Bruce, and Harley is nothing more than a more annoying Deadpool these days, with just about the same amount of plot armor.

Immortal Hulk is so good and a lot darker than I thought it would be.

It's been miles better than most of Marvel's current line, but there was some stuff in the last issue that had me smh.

Last edited:

J-Roderton

I wouldn't call HiC totally doodoo, it is sorta repeating itself so far, though. Only a few more issues left in it. Guess we'll see.

Heroes in Crisis is straight up doodoo but none of the sites want to talk about that and keep freaking out over silly accusations of "sexualization".

How tf was the Batgirl page sexualized? She's literally just showing someone her gunshot scars, if you think that's sexy it says more about you than anything lmao.

Also have to love the criticization of Lois in that issue as well. :pie_eyeroll:

Dacon

Banned
I wouldn't call HiC totally doodoo, it is sorta repeating itself so far, though. Only a few more issues left in it. Guess we'll see.

It's mostly doodoo. I'm starting to think Tom King has let his ego get the better of him and shit is just out of control now. First he had Catwoman knocking 2 flashes out while they were speeding towards her in Batman, then he has Harley Quinn make a fool out of the Trinity. Somehow having the guy who has been beating her ass for years and outwitting her all the while get taken hostage. Somehow in the situation neither Superman nor Wonder Woman were fast enough to catch her after she jumped out of the building? Batgirl tracks down Harley before Batman or Superman? What??? Not to mention I'm getting fucking sick of this characterization of Booster Gold being literally borderline retarded, doing dumb thing after dumb thing. Also wtf is Ted Kord doing as Blue Beetle again? Where the hell is Jaime Reyes??

The only thing that I like about this book is Clay Mann's fantastic art.

Last edited:
Top Bottom