• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Oh wow man haha. I mean ,absolutely, different tastes and all that but that's a shame, I couldn't be more opposite there. I don't think it's anything to do with it being your first experience with the characters though, I guess Bru must just not be for you. It was my first ever time reading about Iron Fist and I found it fantastic. Although, I understand if it wasn't tonally for you, but I'm not sure why you'd find it confusing. I guess Bru/Fraction just isn't your kind of storytelling . No harm in that.

Well that's the thing. Brubaker is arguably my favorite writer. Love Fraction/Aja on Hawkeye. But something didn't work for me. Oddly enough my friend who lent me the series felt the same way and never even finished the trade. But looking at reviews, I know we are the outliers...

Edit: So it's probably Fraction I'm hit or miss on. Looking through his biography:

Hawkguy - Top tier!
Sex Criminals - Enjoy it.
Invincible Iron Man Omnibus - Found this mediocre and gave it away when I was clearing shelf space.
Fantastic Four - Did not enjoy the first arc and dropped it.

Owzers

Hmmmmmmmmmm if true i'm unsure if i'll bite, maybe. I haven't loved anything Johns has done since Sinestro Corps War/Action Comics/ Adventure Comics with superboy/FC Rogues Revenge. Superman Secret Origin was awful, Green Lantern ended with several poor crossovers in a row, Flashpoint was horrible, and Forever Evil and Justice League aren't very good. Aquaman was fairly good as was Batman Earth One.

Not hyped.

I'll probably buy it if it has a digital pack Xp

frye

Not sure if it was already posted here (I'm only a casual comic gaf reader) but apparently that interview where Alan Moore was being a massive idiot was removed from the interviewer's site because apparently the interviewer hates it now as well. Here's the explanation

http://sequart.org/magazine/39038/on-alan-moores-last-interview/

Apparently it was Alan Moore's 'last interview' to which I say good riddance. I read his first works in the 80s but he just had to become a dick to equal Frank Miller. I guess the beard's a great camouflage as it just made him seem 'an eccentric' instead of a raging asshole until now.

The interview wasn't deleted. That particular writer you linked just deleted his initial response to it.

Hey, I heard that marvel comics come with digital copies for free now... Is this all their comics? I was curious if the all new x-factor comes with digital issues if you buy the physical.

Ephidel

Hey, I heard that marvel comics come with digital copies for free now... Is this all their comics? I was curious if the all new x-factor comes with digital issues if you buy the physical.
Their $3.99 comics come with digital codes, and All New X-Factor is $3.99 so it will :)

(Their $2.99 comics don't. They don't have so many of them nowadays, but Ms. Marvel, for example, won't have a digital code).

Their $3.99 comics come with digital codes, and All New X-Factor is $3.99 so it will :)

(Their $2.99 comics don't. They don't have so many of them nowadays, but Ms. Marvel, for example, won't have a digital code).

Ok, all I could find was the old press release and it listed the series so I assumed all $3.99 issues going forward would have it but just wanted to make sure. Is there just a piece of paper or something with a code inside I guess? Hoping to pick up issue 1+2 today

Ephidel

Towards the back of the book one of the advert pages has a half page 'ad' with a little black sticker on it and some redemption instructions and guidelines (code expires approx 1 year from now if not used and all that jazz).
You pull the little black sticker off and the code is underneath. You have to redeem it on the marvel website (marvel.com/redeem -- you'll need to set up an account first if you don't have one), and if you have your marvel and comixology accounts synched it will automatically appear in your comixology owned comics as well.

Towards the back of the book one of the advert pages has a half page 'ad' with a little black sticker on it and some redemption instructions and guidelines (code expires approx 1 year from now if not used and all that jazz).
You pull the little black sticker off and the code is underneath. You have to redeem it on the marvel website (marvel.com/redeem, you'll need to set up an account first if you don't have one), and if you have your marvel and comixology accounts linked it will automatically appear in your comixology owned comics as well.

I have accounts of both but I haven't linked them, I guess I will before I redeem it then. I still want to get the subscription service of their old issues eventually too. Hopefully the new X-factor doesn't suck, I miss gambit. :(

Johns, I know you love Legion, you wrote Superman and the Legion in Adventure Comics.

You know what you need to do.

LegionposterRoss_zps7f264bb5.jpg

Well that's the thing. Brubaker is arguably my favorite writer. Love Fraction/Aja on Hawkeye. But something didn't work for me. Oddly enough my friend who lent me the series felt the same way and never even finished the trade. But looking at reviews, I know we are the outliers...

Edit: So it's probably Fraction I'm hit or miss on. Looking through his biography:

Hawkguy - Top tier!
Sex Criminals - Enjoy it.
Invincible Iron Man Omnibus - Found this mediocre and gave it away when I was clearing shelf space.
Fantastic Four - Did not enjoy the first arc and dropped it.

Hey, at least you didn't lay cash down to find out you didn't like it man. Glad to hear your a big Bru fan though.

You pull the little black sticker off and the code is underneath. You have to redeem it on the marvel website (marvel.com/redeem -- you'll need to set up an account first if you don't have one), and if you have your marvel and comixology accounts synched it will automatically appear in your comixology owned comics as well.

There's a time limit on using the codes? Damn! Think I've decided how to spend my Sunday. Gonna go through my marvel short box to find my codes and post them on Twitter. Would hate for them to go to waste.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Hush is a great "My first Batman" story but beyond that is trash.

I guess I'll be adding Supes to my list soon. Johns and JRJr is a pretty interesting creative team.
Yeap, go from Hush to Long Halloween and then decide to dive into the real Batman stories and books. Also, you get to say, "what the fuck happened to Jeph Loeb?"

Owzers

I think Revival might be better as a miniseries than an ongoing, i liked the first 11 issues but going back to it i'm struggling to be enthused.

Ephidel

There's a time limit on using the codes? Damn! Think I've decided how to spend my Sunday. Gonna go through my marvel short box to find my codes and post them on Twitter. Would hate for them to go to waste.
Yep, I hadn't realised that at first either.
I didn't actually try and redeem them until I'd bought myself a tablet, and when I went back through them all I did end up losing a few as a result. That said, some of them did still redeem when the date had passed (whereas others refused to, even if published after some of the ones that 'worked').

I think Revival might be better as a miniseries than an ongoing, i liked the first 11 issues but going back to it i'm struggling to be enthused.

I honestly felt the second volume was a struggle man. I really liked the first storyline, it had me interested, but I struggled with the 2nd, I dunno, it just didn't grab me. I agree with you, I'm not sure what it's long term prospects are, but I think I might be out when more of the new Image series debut this year.

Messi

Hush is a great "My first Batman" story but beyond that is trash.

I guess I'll be adding Supes to my list soon. Johns and JRJr is a pretty interesting creative team.

It's what got me back into comics...if I never read Hush I wouldn't be here in this thread pushing dc femme books :p

So apparently it'll be Johns and JRJR on superman? Huh. I won't be buying it but different I guess, very different to Lobdell/Rocafort haha

I'm excited if the Johns/Romita Jr. Superman rumour is true. Presumably Johns would be taking over Superman and not Action Comics since he's already had a run on that, which means Lobdell would get the boot again.

I think I might have to re-read "Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes" tonight. Loved that arc.

I'm along for the ride, but it's hard to see exactly where this is going. It seems like they might not have had a plan for this far along, and are just winging it.

It's what got me back into comics...if I never read Hush I wouldn't be here in this thread pushing dc femme books :p

Have you been pushing anything other than Harley? ;)

On the expiration date thing, just to share my personal experience: when I first started redeeming my codes, I had some that returned an "expired" error even though it had only been 5-6 months and not the full year. I sent an email to customer service with the issue title, number, and code and they sent new codes to use instead.

Same thing with stickers that peel half the code with them when removed. Hate when that happens.

Messi

I'm along for the ride, but it's hard to see exactly where this is going. It seems like they might not have had a plan for this far along, and are just winging it.

Have you been pushing anything other than Harley? ;)

Batgirl but nowhere near as much, a small bit of catwoman (her zero year issue was great, because it was written by Layman). I would push Wonder Woman also but I am an arc behind.

Not really digging gothopia either.

Setre

Decided to pick up where I left off on 100 Bullets, American Vampire, and Ex Machina. I'm really enjoying all of them but 100 Bullets has the edge on the other two right now.

I'm so glad Johns is coming back to Superman, I loved the Daily Bugle cast he put together in the short time he was on Action.

Too bad New Krypton had to overshadow everything after the Brainiac arc.

Batgirl but nowhere near as much, a small bit of catwoman (her zero year issue was great, because it was written by Layman). I would push Wonder Woman also but I am an arc behind.

Yeah, I think I'm actually gonna drop Batgirl. Not really into it so much anymore. The Wanted arc was pretty good, but it's been fairly directionless since then. And Gothtopia is just weird.

I'm gonna pick up Red Sonja for my Simone fix.

Vibranium

Banned
Hush

Finally read this...yuck. Reads like fan-fiction at times.

I agree, it was one of my first Batman stories but as I read more comics I realized that it was Jim Lee's art which really sucked me in.

I'll give Loeb props for highlighting the Riddler though, Edward needs his own damn book. You hear that DiDio? It would print money.

sca2511

I'm actually considering buying singles digitally and double dipping on the ones I really enjoy in hardcover. I sort of feel bad though since I have quite a few LCS around me.

Owzers

I'm actually considering buying singles digitally and double dipping on the ones I really enjoy in hardcover. I sort of feel bad though since I have quite a few LCS around me.

Buy more marvel books that come with digital codes. DC combo packs too.

Cheska

So question, how likely do you guys think it'll be that we'll see an omnibus or two of Peter David's X-Factor? There's 21 trade paper backs that have been released :O

Apparently the shop by me was sold out of #1 for all new xfactor and it's out of print so I have to wait until feb. 19th to pick it up. I got issue #2 though.

arkon

So question, how likely do you guys think it'll be that we'll see an omnibus or two of Peter David's X-Factor? There's 21 trade paper backs that have been released :O

There might be one. They're already doing a complete collection of his recent run. That could be paving the way for a future omnibus or two.

An omnibus of this would be perfect! Well, there would probably need to be at least a few...I was looking at my single issues and considering getting rid of them in favour of the complete collection trades...decisions, decisions...

Messi

I'm reading and enjoying All New X-Men (Kitty <3) and I just got to the issue where the Uncanny Avengers arrive. Without reading another page I can already tell this will fucking suck. Ugh. Why do this to me. I just want more school shenanigans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom