• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| February 2014. Flowers? Candy? Please. Get that guy/gal an omnibus!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know its pretty early for a list,, but damn I'm just going over everything I plan on pulling,, quit a lot.

- Afterlife With Archie #4 Myyy Shiiiieett!
- Bad Blood #3
- Detective Comics #29
- Drumhellar #5
- Evil Empire #1
- Forever Evil #6
- Forever Evil: Arkham War #6
- Green Arrow #29
- Punisher #3
- Magneto #1
- Moon Knight #1
- Scooby-Doo Team-Up #3
- She Hulk #2
- Sinister Dexter #4
- Trillium #7 (I've been holding on to the last few issues to read it all at once, Good idea that someone else had in this thread)
- Veil #1
- Velvet #4

Messi

Man you can tell some of you whippersnappers are new to comics. Hawkeye's delays used to be fairly normal for the industry for good books, it's only in the past few years they've spoiled us with double shipping and last minute fill in artists. Books come out when they come out, don't pretend your memory is so addled you can't keep track of this stuff :p

Yeah but Hawkeye has a fill in artist in Annie Wu but Aja still misses deadlines. I wonder why delays only seem to happen to Hawkeye these days.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yeah but Hawkeye has a fill in artist in Annie Wu but Aja still misses deadlines. I wonder why delays only seem to happen to Hawkeye these days.

No idea, could be all sorts of reasons. Point is, to those of us that read Millar/Hitch Ultimates, All-Star Superman, Ultimate Wolverine/Hulk etc an issue being a month late is no biggie. I think it's especially visible when all the other Marvel titles seem to come out twice weekly but IMO quality is well worth waiting for. Hawkguy was stunningly good looking this week.

Messi

No idea, could be all sorts of reasons. Point is, to those of us that read Millar/Hitch Ultimates, All-Star Superman, Ultimate Wolverine/Hulk etc an issue being a month late is no biggie. I think it's especially visible when all the other Marvel titles seem to come out twice weekly but IMO quality is well worth waiting for. Hawkguy was stunningly good looking this week.

I'm not denying the quality and I love Annie Wu's art/Kate. Its just annoying how often these delays are occurring.

dan2026

Sone artists are just damn slow. Not everybody can be Walt Simonson.

But at the end if the day, delays will be forgotten in time, but bad art lasts forever.

arkon

GAF, I need some advice. I've been out of comics for the last few months and I'm playing catch up.

Here's what I'm currently interested in pulling every month:
Black Science
Daredevil
Hawkeye
Invincible
Lazarus
The Punisher
Rat Queens
Saga
Sex Criminals

Here are a few I'm interested in but not 100% sold:
Captain America
Chew
Dead Body Road
The Manhattan Project
Ms. Marvel
The Planetoid

I'm not too interested in DC, but am I missing anything significant? Anything I should drop from the first list? Anything I should move up from the second? I don't want to pull more than 8-10 titles a month.

The Punisher and Daredevil are my favorite Marvel characters, so they're pretty much a lock. Saga, too. Everything else is flexible.

Chew and The Manhattan Projects get my vote from your not-100% list. Both great.

arkon

She's not really a fill-in artist. She's doing whole issues herself. Doesn't really offset any of the load of Aja's work.

Blink Me

Some of the Cartoon Network shows like Adventure Time and the Regular Show are licensed to BOOM so I assume they won't be appearing.

Messi

She's not really a fill-in artist. She's doing whole issues herself. Doesn't really offset any of the load of Aja's work.

I know and I shouldn't have said that. I meant she was doing every second issue which I'm sure gives him more time to work on Clint issues. No disrespect meant to Wu.

Owzers

I was gonna get the trade, but man that's not due til June.

What is Rachel Rising about? Sell me on it.

i was also going to wait for the trade but since it's paperback and kind of pricey....digital! I'll get the first issue and see what the hype is about.

tim1138

So if I went to the trouble of typing up a 500 word post on the Manhattan Projects would anyone care and/or read it? This theoretical post would be saved for the March thread.

What is Rachel Rising about? Sell me on it.

It's tough to preset even the basic premise without spoiling it. It would be like saying, Twin Peaks is about a teen girl who is killed by a
demon that's possessed her father's body.
And you can see by my choice to wrap spoiler quotes around the events of a 20 year old TV show that I am not keen to spoil things.

Actually, Twin Peaks is a sound comparison to RR, in some ways. It's like Twin Peaks with a sense of humour. So you throw in a dash of Northern Exposure- odd, mysterious and funny townsfolk feature heavily. I'd qualify it as a supernatural horror mystery.

It's well paced, with great dialogue. Each character is distinct with his or her own voice (my personal catnip). There is levity and also shocking horror. Just get it, for real. The first six issues are collected for $10 on Comixology. Or buy the first issue alone. It will hook you, I promise.

Don't read this spoiler below unless you want to know what it's REALLY about because you need to be sold further. If you need to know what you shouldn't know going into it then, here: weaved into the central plot are
ancient mythological demon(s) and also witches

tim1138

It's tough to preset even the basic premise without spoiling it. It would be like saying, Twin Peaks is about a teen girl who is killed by a
And you can see by my choice to wrap spoiler quotes around the events of a 20 year old TV show that I am not keen to spoil things.

Actually, Twin Peaks is a sound comparison to RR, in some ways. It's like Twin Peaks with a sense of humour. So you throw in a dash of Northern Exposure- odd, mysterious and funny townsfolk feature heavily. I'd qualify it as a supernatural horror mystery.

It's well paced, with great dialogue. Each character is distinct with his or her own voice (my personal catnip). There is levity and also shocking horror. Just get it, for real. The first six issues are collected for $10 on Comixology. Or just buy the first issue. It will hook you, I promise.

Don't read this spoiler below unless you want to know what it's REALLY about because you need to be sold further. If you need to know what you shouldn't know going into it then, here: weaved into the central plot are

Sounds pretty interesting. I went ahead and requested the first trade through interlibrary loan, I'll do a write up whenever it gets here and I read it.

I know the general perception is that I'm a DC fanboy, but I will pretty much read anything if you can sell it to me and I can get it from the library to try it out.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
So if I went to the trouble of typing up a 500 word post on the Manhattan Projects would anyone care and/or read it? This theoretical post would be saved for the March thread.

Yeah, man, do it. I've got One Soul waiting, and you convinced a bunch of us to buy the Planetary Omnibus, which is damn good so far. Just don't abuse your power and start recommending stuff like Walking Dead :p.

Yeah, man, do it. I've got One Soul waiting, and you convinced a bunch of us to buy the Planetary Omnibus, which is damn good so far. Just don't abuse your power and start recommending stuff like Walking Dead :p.

I hope that wasn't a side eye in my direction. 'Cause I never recommended Walking Dead. I defended it. I have a love/hate relationship with the book, but I don't know that I'd recommend it to anyone.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I hope that wasn't a side eye in my direction. 'Cause I never recommended Walking Dead. I defended it. I have a love/hate relationship with the book, but I don't know that I'd recommend it to anyone.

Haha, that was Walking Dead discussion residue from yesterday. It was the book freshest in my head, so it got tossed into the statement.

My shelves are filled with so many omnibuses now. It's kind of intimidating to take one out and read.

Please take photos of yourself caressing them and send directly to Jedeye. I'm going to be doing the same.

tim1138

Glad you all are interested, I may have already had over 350 words typed up when I asked...

It's probably going to end up in the style of a thread OT, just without a bunch of images.

tim1138

O wish they would take submissions for variant covers. This could really help me. I just want to cry everytime I look at Skottie Young's art. Goddam.

God, right? If you don't already have them, add his Oz hardcovers to your list of books to buy. So happy to see him get another monthly and leave the baby cover variant ghetto.

I just read the preview for Moon Knight #1. I've never read Moon Knight before. I'm not even really sure who that is.

That was some terrible dialogue on the part of the cop. Jesus Christ.

Messi

If anything, you're not excited enough.

Cats and boobs are what I gather from the cover. I should pick it up asap.

oh man you are going to piss you knickers this is perfect for you

when_i_drink_to_much_coffee-14355.gif

Please, I have 8 hours left in work.

It's well paced, with great dialogue. Each character is distinct with his or her own voice (my personal catnip). There is levity and also shocking horror. Just get it, for real. The first six issues are collected for $10 on Comixology. Or buy the first issue alone. It will hook you, I promise.

I think I stopped reading after #16 because it seemed like things were dragging on and on without anything really interesting happening to keep me interested. Maybe it was because I was following it month to month and the wait kind of made it hard to get back into the flow with each issue. I read Echo in it's collected edition and spent a weekend devouring Stranger's in Paradise (should never have tried to just sample and buy piecemeal, as I wasted money once I broke down and just bought the comixology bundle) and loved loved loved it all so maybe I should give Rachel Rising another chance. Maybe once it's done and I can just go through it all at once. For some reason the two leads just didn't capture me like the leads in his other series did.

yo that fight art in mighty avengers was doooope

I stopped reading this after the first Inifinity tie-in arc. Does it get better? Is there good pacing and characterization, or more of the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom