• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Whatever happened to no more events? Then again, they probably have so many events just laying around, that they totally forgot about this one.

arkon

What is the difference between the Nextwave Agents of H.A.T.E. Ultimate Collection and the Complete Collection, and is there a Hardcover edition for either?

No difference. Ultimate collections might have been the old branding for the thicker TPBs Marvel puts out.

No hardcover edition either.

Sandfox

Whatever happened to no more events? Then again, they probably have so many events just laying around, that they totally forgot about this one.

Are arcs in single books now events?

Oh, this isn't an event? Saw something on Twitter that called it an event.
Marvel said they were taking a break from linewide events. This seems to be self contained outside of an anthology book.

Marvel themselves called this an event, probably for sales reasons.

I've started reading an interesting book called Notes on a Thesis. It is hilarious! If any of you have spent any time in academia, or around people in academia, you will spot so many "familiar" caricatures. If you are a Ph.D. student or a postdoc, I would classify this as a must read just based on the first couple of chapters.

6uqOoNH.png

Yeah but I thought Vic was referring to a hardcover of either the Ultimate or Complete collections.

ah, ok. Got it.

jurgen

Same thing as last time they announced no more events for the "Heroic Age" relaunch and immediately put out that shitty Shadowland crossover.

Christian

Oooookay, so, I just finished reading through Age of Apocalypse. Psycho that I am, I actually purchased the entire event in floppy format, including some of the books that came later. For reference, I used Comic Book Herald's AOA reading order. I read up until the Twilight TPB, which I believe is made up entirely of comics that came out at least 10 years after the fact. I did, however, read the floppies associated with the Dawn TBP, which (I think!) combines concurrent books with later works.

My first takeaway from the entire thing is ... that was really interesting. I've never been the biggest X-Men fan, so I'm sure a bunch of the references are going over my head, but I know enough about the major players to appreciate the differences in characterization that this otherworlds tale affords. I also appreciate the scope of the undertaking, taking a bunch of what were probably the top-selling comics in the mid-90s and interrupting them for half a year, while turning that entire universe on its head. It is pretty great to follow each story to its conclusion, seeing how they weave in and out among each other, to finally all come together for the conclusion. And the conclusion is fairly satisfying, which isn't typical, in my experience, for huge events like this.

Unfortunately, the books aren't all winners. Generation Next is great. Haunting, really, and Sugar Man is a bit of a creeper. Amazing and Astonishing X-Men are pretty good, as is X-Calibre and Factor X. Gambit and the Xternals, despite the serious implications, didn't really grip me a ton. And considering his significance, and my interest in the character himself, X-Man didn't really light my world on fire. I understand the purpose of the X-Universe tie-ins, but I'm not overly fond of the execution.

Funnily enough, Apocalypse kinda reminds me of Thanos in the MCU. He doesn't really do a ton, we're just to take all of the characters at their word that he's incredibly powerful and intimidating. He does beat the crap out of Magneto in the graveyard outside of Xavier's ruined estate, but Magneto is significant nerfed by that point. And Mags ends up ripping Poc's ass in half like it's nothing, at the end.

I don't like where the reading order I used put the Dawn book. If I had to do it all over again, I probably would not have read those comics at that point. I think a lot of them are supposed to act like prologue events, but I definitely feel like I'd have gotten more out of them, reading them after the fact. Considering the breadth of the story, I also feel like a re-read would illuminate a lot details I missed on the first go-around, as well. I don't know when I'll have time for that. I also don't know if I'm going to just continue on into and through the Onslaught saga, or if I'll skip that and read Exiles.

Wanderer5

So The Legend of Wonder Woman is great? I probably just going to get either that or George Perez's run Vol 1 if I feel in the classic mood.

Took the time over the last evening or two to sit back down and give Williamson's first vol of The Flash another shot, since I put it down half way through before. I do still find there to be an painful amount of exposition and/or redundant dialogue, but I did mellow out on it. The godspeed arc is what it is. The funny thing is I'm convinced there is a tremendous plot there if you shuffled some of the pieces around. There's some stuff regarding Godspeed's identity and how Barry figures it out that I think could be changed and shuffled to make something really exciting and thoughtful as the capping point on the whole thing, but as it is, it's Williamson's
Barry has an new really good friend, who's really the new evil flash
and that's fine. It's done now anyway. I do really really like the art in the book, and I like some of the thoughtful applications of the Flash powers. I haven't really read a Flash book before so I honestly don't know how much of that stuff is original or not, but I liked the slipstreaming etc. I think I'll give this another volume, the epilogue was good and did a good job of pointing out how many threads Williamson set up and left in the wind for the future. Maybe I'll just end up frustrated again lol, who knows.

Wanderer5

Really enjoying Rucka's run so far btw, including The Hiketeia which is so damn good. I don't think I really checked out much of Rucka's stuff (the only notable one that I read is his Batwoman work).

ahhhh

I had heard that gravity fucks with bindings on Omni's if you have them standing vertical, or is that just some bullshit?

Eitherway I have all my books stacked horizontally in my closet, or am I doing it wrong?

For my larger omnibuses, I put some paper or a small post-it pad under the pages.

VanWinkle

ahhhh

I had heard that gravity fucks with bindings on Omni's if you have them standing vertical, or is that just some bullshit?

Eitherway I have all my books stacked horizontally in my closet, or am I doing it wrong?

Ehh. The page block can sag a bit over time, but I can look at an omni from 2 years ago and it doesn't look any worse than an omni from three months ago. I'm not worried about it.

I'd be more worried having the books stacked horizontally, tbh. That's a loooot of weight on those lower books. It could bend the spines and all that stuff.

Wanderer5

Woo, just got a cover for my galaxy tab A that I was given recently(a refurbished one that looks pretty new), so now time to mess around with it more, including downloading some comics onto it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom