• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS|OT|October 2017- The only thing scarier than Messi's avatar are Marvels sales

Ross61

@LiamRSharp
Panel from my top secret still can't talk about it special project for DC...
DMiCWiqVoAARkw_.jpg
Source

tim1138

I'm thinking it the Wizard Shazam

Yeah I can see that too.

I read the first Seeley issue of Green Lanterns and it was pretty good. It seems like he has a good handle on Simon and Jess and what made Humphries run so good. My only complaint is that they need to ditch the new colorist or provide him with proper color reference, Jess shouldn't have red hair...

VanWinkle

Yeah I can see that too.

I read the first Seeley issue of Green Lanterns and it was pretty good. It seems like he has a good handle on Simon and Jess and what made Humphries run so good. My only complaint is that they need to ditch the new colorist or provide him with proper color reference, Jess shouldn't have red hair...

Oh, cool. So is Humphries officially on Nightwing now?

His books sell badly even by current Marvel standards. I also really doubt Marvel would allow them to take avengers down another odd path after having Mike del mundo on art didn't sell.

What's funny is that he has essentially written that long form story over his past few books. They all connect especially the past two runs.

Messi is correct that Al Ewing is Marvel's best goddamn writer who nonetheless doesn't sell at all.

Is Traci Thirteen our next breakout? It's been a weird road for the character.

I don't even know who she is or where she came from. I am a Marvel refugee so I've only been getting into DC more in the last few years.

She was introduced in early 2000 as the daughter of long-running obscure comic character, Dr. Thirteen. His point is he's a supernatural debunker and skeptic in the goddamn DC Universe, which gives him a good hook. Like, how are you a skeptic in a universe where the Spectre is real?

His daughter is just straight up a magic user, which is a bit boring. It's interesting to me, because she's been rebooted like three times since she first appeared.

She was introduced in early 2000 as the daughter of long-running obscure comic character, Dr. Thirteen. His point is he's a supernatural debunker and skeptic in the goddamn DC Universe, which gives him a good hook. Like, how are you a skeptic in a universe where the Spectre is real?

His daughter is just straight up a magic user, which is a bit boring. It's interesting to me, because she's been rebooted like three times since she first appeared.

So is she basically like a less cool Black Alice that will be equally misused and then forgotten about?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
kiwVydq.png

inc free book!?

Also, that promotion was supposed to be going on for a few more weeks but it got axed real quick. Weird how they didn't expect so many people to use it.

Cool. Hope he does a good job.
I believe 100% he will do a good job. Interviews put him in good faith with me.
Messi is correct that Al Ewing is Marvel's best goddamn writer who nonetheless doesn't sell at all.
Fucking truth. The man brought Blue Marvel into the spotlight and wrote a stealth New Mutants book better than any actual X-book in the past two years.
So is she basically like a less cool Black Alice that will be equally misused and then forgotten about?
They really need to follow up on her. In anything. Literally anything. Her, Strix, and Porcelain all need comebacks. In books that I read.

Cool man. That's fair, I just thought you summed it up precisely as it was always sold hah, so I was just wondering. From the start, I feel like Lemire spoke about wanting to writing a dysfunctional family-team and an homage, driven forward by the mystery of why they're on the farm.

Yeah I think the confusion on Black Hammer was more my fault than anything, I just went into it fairly blind from peoples recommendations, like I said I will probably go back in for the second volume when its realised I just enjoyed some parts of it more than others.

Is it just me or looking at that group avengers poster is reed not grabbing his wife with one hand and getting handy with she hulk with the other hand? Not cool Reed, just because your arms can reach everywhere it doenst mean you should.

kiwVydq.png

inc free book!?

Also, that promotion was supposed to be going on for a few more weeks but it got axed real quick. Weird how they didn't expect so many people to use it.

yeah I did it the other day and today I chatted with a customer service guy and he said it ended this past Sunday. Ah well

Having tried a few of the rebirth volume 1,s now, green arrow (wasnt a fan), superman (okay), batman (enjoyed), detective (really enjoyed), red hood (waiting for it to arrive) I,m thinking of trying to branch out of the bat world stuff so what would people pick out of either flash or one of the two gl series?

I prefer Flash as a character but have heard mixed ratings on the rebirth stuff for it here and for gl I loved the Johns stuff but stopped after that as heard the Vendetti stuff right after wasn't very good. I know there have been other rebirth series people have recommend here but didn't really fancy Deathstroke or New Supes and I'm trying to get away from the bat family books for a change so thats why not considering Nightwing for now.

kmfdmpig

Having tried a few of the rebirth volume 1,s now, green arrow (wasnt a fan), superman (okay), batman (enjoyed), detective (really enjoyed), red hood (waiting for it to arrive) I,m thinking of trying to branch out of the bat world stuff so what would people pick out of either flash or one of the two gl series?

I prefer Flash as a character but have heard mixed ratings on the rebirth stuff for it here and for gl I loved the Johns stuff but stopped after that as heard the Vendetti stuff right after wasn't very good. I know there have been other rebirth series people have recommend here but didn't really fancy Deathstroke or New Supes and I'm trying to get away from the bat family books for a change so thats why not considering Nightwing for now.

Stick with Superman as it gets better and better. Wonder Woman has been solid. Detective Comics stays top-tier.

Green Lanterns starts poorly, but gets better and better as it goes. HJ and the GLC is pretty good throughout. In terms of choosing between GL and HJ+GLC I'd say that they're roughly equivalent in quality, but GL focuses closely on the two leads and develops their characters, while HJ+GLC has a much larger scope and covers a large cast.

Personally, I'd put both GL books way ahead of Flash.

ElNarez

Banned
Stick with Superman as it gets better and better. Wonder Woman has been solid. Detective Comics stays top-tier.

Green Lanterns starts poorly, but gets better and better as it goes. HJ and the GLC is pretty good throughout. In terms of choosing between GL and HJ+GLC I'd say that they're roughly equivalent in quality, but GL focuses closely on the two leads and develops their characters, while HJ+GLC has a much larger scope and covers a large cast.

skip the first arc of Green Lanterns, and then it gets to the good stuff

Thanks for this.

I may give the second volume of supes a chance at some point as I do like the father/son dynamic and the John/Damian team ups but I'm a bit hit and miss on Tomasi to be honest. I wasn't really a fan of his Batman and Robin work either, I think he writes some okay character stuff but the story around that is usually lacking.

I'll definitely be going back in for further volumes in detective though.

Yeah that was what had me torn between the two gl books, I've heard more positive things about the Green Lanterns book but the bigger scale stories of Hal Jordan and the Corps sounds more appealing to me.

kmfdmpig

Thanks for this.

I may give the second volume of supes a chance at some point as I do like the father/son dynamic and the John/Damian team ups but I'm a bit hit and miss on Tomasi to be honest. I wasn't really a fan of his Batman and Robin work either, I think he writes some okay character stuff but the story around that is usually lacking.

I'll definitely be going back in for further volumes in detective though.

Yeah that was what had me torn between the two gl books, I've heard more positive things about the Green Lanterns book but the bigger scale stories of Hal Jordan and the Corps sounds more appealing to me.

Yeah, in that case Superman might not be a good fit as it's the character work and the Clark/Lois/Jon stuff that elevates the book more than the story around them, IMO.

Yeah, in that case Superman might not be a good fit as it's the character work and the Clark/Lois/Jon stuff that elevates the book more than the story around them, IMO.

Yeah thanks, I might give it a chance again when I have some spare cash but its not high in my list.

Last one but how has Titans ended up, I loved previous Titans series but all I hear about it on here is how wooden Brett Bootsh art is and whenever I see any artwork with Roy in I just want to punch him and turn his stupid hat the right way around ha.

CBR: Bendis Explains Away Apparent Continuity Flub in Invincible Iron Man #593

The process of creating comic books involves a lot of moving parts, and sometimes continuity glitches slip through the cracks. That was the case this week with Marvel Comics’ Invincible Iron Man #593, which depicts an enormous image of Tony Stark standing beside an unmasked Spider-Man on display at the annual Tony Stark International Sciences Expo.

For those keeping score at home, Spider-Man publicly revealed himself to be Peter Parker in a press conference organized by Tony Stark during the events of the 2006-2007 crossover Civil War. However, knowledge of his secret identity was later removed from the collective memory through the deal struck with Mephisto during the controversial “One More Day” storyline that also erased Peter’s marriage to Mary Jane Watson.

So if the world no longer knows Peter Peter is Spider-Man, a photo of him dressed as the wall-crawler (and standing next to Tony Stark) doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. However, Invincible Iron Man writer Brian Michael Bendis swiftly explained that away by saying the image was “from a kick-ass costume party for rich people.”

Also, Bendis doesn’t keep track of people he has killed in his own books.

Top Bottom