• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coming to Xbox Game Pass: Minecraft Legends, Loop Hero, Ghostwire: Tokyo, and More

bender

What time is it?
How do I hold all these games!?

Still need to finish Hi-Fi Rush, I’m 20+ hours into Wo Long. Ghostwire downloading… It just doesn’t stop.

Finish Hi-Fi Rush, drop Wo Long, skip Ghostwire. Problem solved.

anthony-michael-hall.gif

oji-san

Banned
Played 2 hours of Ghostwire on Series X, I like it so far. It looks and runs good so far, playing with the performance mode, seems smooth enough. Combat and story looks interesting. You can pet dogs.. I'm sold!

Banned
started Ghostwire Tokyo on PC Gamepass, runs pretty good on the 3060ti at 1440p with reasonable settings, RT Reflections on medium and DLSS Quality mode.
DLSS in this game once again looking way better than Native + TAA... UE4 TAA is just ugly as fuck, so DLSS not only gives you better framerates but also a better image.

the game has shader stutters, but they are thankfully relatively unintrusive for the most part. it also has weird movement stutters tho, that arent related to performance and simply seem to be the character acting weird.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ghostwire on Xbox

A bit torn between HFR Quality and Performance.

Performance: 1440p, better IQ but no RT reflections. SSR disappearing can become pretty obvious when looking up and down since there's a ton of reflective surfaces.
HFR Quality: 1080p, blurrier than Performance but has RT reflections.

Both seem to be within the VRR range so I can't notice drops in the starting areas at least.

4-11-2023_10-49-45_pmfqck1.png

4-11-2023_10-49-45_pmfuds3.png

4-11-2023_10-49-46_pm7nd80.png

Last edited:

Banned
Ghostwire on Xbox

A bit torn between HFR Quality and Performance.

Performance: 1440p, better IQ but no RT reflections. SSR disappearing can become pretty obvious when looking up and down since there's a ton of reflective surfaces.
HFR Quality: 1080p, blurrier than Performance but has RT reflections.

Both seem to be within the VRR range so I can't notice drops in the starting areas at least.

4-11-2023_10-49-45_pmfqck1.png

4-11-2023_10-49-45_pmfuds3.png

4-11-2023_10-49-46_pm7nd80.png

imo this game needs RT reflections. it's already annoying to me that this is running on UE4, and therefore can't have RT reflections on transparent surfaces -_-
(what a fucking weird limitation that engine had btw... like wtf?)
but no RT really looks ugly in this given that you are on completely wet streets for the majority of your time playing it.

thankfully on PC you can even set the culling super high so that you have essentially no noticeable pop-in inside reflections, not sure how high that setting is on Xbox tho. I gotta test that version later too, and also see if it has cross save :D

Last edited:

adamsapple

imo this game needs RT reflections. it's already annoying to me that this is running on UE4, and therefore can't have RT reflections on transparent surfaces -_-
(what a fucking weird limitation that engine had btw... like wtf?)
but no RT really looks ugly in this given that you are on completely wet streets for the majority of your time playing it.

thankfully on PC you can even set the culling super high so that you have essentially no noticeable pop-in inside reflections, not sure how high that setting is on Xbox tho. I gotta test that version later too, and also see if it has cross save :D

Yeah I've decided to continue with HFR Quality. 1080p aside, especially in the outdoor areas, there's just way too many reflective surfaces to not have some kind of RT. I imagine this mode will tend to drop more than the sheer Performance mode because of RT.

Also, there is some real weird color banding, or a lot of dotting, in the interiors, or at least the hospital you visit at the start. Lots of weird green tint.

Banned
there is something seriously wrong with the Xbox version of Ghostwire...
the game seems to stutter nonstop, and it's not due to a low framerate. even VRR isn't able to hide the stutters I get.

it does have cross save with PC tho, which is nice 👍
not so nice is that the controller settings are synchronized across platforms, that is an issue because the game has a single camera speed setting that affects both mouse and controller... and my 1000 dpi mouse settings don't jive well with controller lol, since I literally have to set my mouse sensitivity to 3, which on controller is so slow that it barely moves the camera 🙃

Last edited:

reksveks

When you have a great expedition in loop hero where you are comfortablely mining resources and then you think you can defeat the boss to get massacred

Banned
Wtf tango

Rambo Lionsgate GIF by Rambo: Last Blood

I was looking forward to replay Ghostwire. Fuck these stutter editions.

wait, did you play it on PS5 before? because holy fuck, the performance isn't the only thing that would make me not wanna play this on console...
the aiming in this is fucking awful, even with the best settings (acceleration/deceleration to 100, deadzone to 1) it feels extremely sluggish to play on controller.

but yeah, the version is clearly broken.
if I turn on my VRR counter on my TV it's like it has a fucking epileptic seizure or something.
in the performance mode, not even the high framerate mode, the VRR counter constantly jumps from 120hz to 48hz, back to 120hz, 62hz, 70hz, 120hz... and so on in fast succession even if I barely move and look straight up to the sky or down to the ground.

something is SERIOUSLY wrong here.
then there's the modes with no vsync, those DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT support VRR! so you will have constant tearing!
if you use the Vsync settings VRR will suddenly work again... the only 2 modes that do not support VRR are the HFR Quality and the HFR Performance modes... THE EXACT 2 MODES THAT ARE MADE FOR VRR!!! so you have an unlocked mode with a locked 120hz output and constant tearing :) isn't that amazing?

this is actually crazy how broken this seems to be

edit: the Deadzone is also broken. even on 1, the lowest setting, it feels like close to 20%

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Yeah I played it on PS5. Mostly fine with hfr+vrr. Controls didn't bother me as much. The game isnt combat heavy.

Banned
Yeah I played it on PS5. Mostly fine with hfr+vrr. Controls didn't bother me as much. The game isnt combat heavy.

the game has a broken deadzone it seems on Xbox, not sure how it was on PS5, I only played it very briefly on there.

but this is the second game in close succession with a deadzone issue on Xbox.... fucking mindblowing really.

if you set it to the lowest setting it's still about 20% from my subjective feeling

Aion002

I just finished the first area of Ghostwire on the Series S... This game is terribly optimized on it.

Low fov and frame drops everywhere, specially on the performance mode, the quality mode was fine, but 30 frames on first person games sucks.

Also, the combat is simplistic, the story seems to be terrible and the game doesn't know if it wants to be a horror game or an action game and fails at both.

Maybe the game gets better later on, but I dunno if I want to keep playing it.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Loop hero is so fun, they are doing a great job of getting all the good indie games I've already bought on Steam. Good for subscribers, to get to sample some of these, and a good secondary revenue bounce for those indie devs too I'd imagine.

Chukhopops

Loop hero is so fun, they are doing a great job of getting all the good indie games I've already bought on Steam. Good for subscribers, to get to sample some of these, and a good secondary revenue bounce for those indie devs too I'd imagine.
Yeah my first impression was bad but the loop gameplay is really addictive.

Game seems grindy as hell though and I’m only at Chapter 2.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I just finished the first area of Ghostwire on the Series S... This game is terribly optimized on it.

Low fov and frame drops everywhere, specially on the performance mode, the quality mode was fine, but 30 frames on first person games sucks.

Also, the combat is simplistic, the story seems to be terrible and the game doesn't know if it wants to be a horror game or an action game and fails at both.

Maybe the game gets better later on, but I dunno if I want to keep playing it.

It doesn't. Only play if you like the setting and collecting shit.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yeah my first impression was bad but the loop gameplay is really addictive.

Game seems grindy as hell though and I’m only at Chapter 2.
Yeah I haven't progressed beyond that, and it took me a while to 'get it'. Hopefully people will give it a try and stick with it, can work both ways though, as it's 'free' some people might say "this isn't for me" after a few minutes and move on, their loss I guess.

Banned
I think the traversal stutter is worse than any perceived performance drops.

it's not even traversal stutter. I have stutter while standing completely still, not moving the camera, looking straight up to the sky, in performance mode...

the game is completely broken on Xbox

Riky

$MSFT
I've played the HFR modes on Xbox Series X, the two modes without Vsync appear to be bugged as they just lock the output to 120hz. Playing the HFR Vsync modes you generally get 70-90fps sometimes higher on the performance mode.
From what I remember on PS5 you can force 60hz on those modes which was the most solid performance, so you could try that but I've found the Vsynced HFR modes more than playable.

adamsapple

Just a note about Ghostwire, invest in the skills that let you take out enemy cores quick, cause you're gonna be doing that shit a lot in the game lol.

4-12-2023_4-36-05_pm-m5irc.png

4-12-2023_4-36-05_pm-ide4w.png

4-12-2023_4-36-06_pm-ope7x.png

Last edited:
Ghostwire is awesome. 2 hrs in and I totally love it. Just feels new and unusual. Its like Breakdown finally got a sequel. Just got through some interesting combat, awesome horror themed apartment craziness with the walls all flipping direction, popped into a convenience store for snacks, then read a cats thoughts. This is my kind of game. The art style is phenomenal.

Anyone that says Ghostwire is boring or too easy should play on hard mode. Game feels like it was intended to be played that way.

LordOfChaos

The vibe in Ghostwire is cool, but even in performance mode on xbox it feels super laggy? I hate when a bad control feel puts me off an interesting game

adamsapple

The vibe in Ghostwire is cool, but even in performance mode on xbox it feels super laggy? I hate when a bad control feel puts me off an interesting game

Yeah, the controls were a sore point back when it first launched on PS5 as well. They're super floaty even if you have acceleration and deceleration to max.

Top Bottom